Profile for eyecore > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 732

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

eyecore RSS Feed (PacNW, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Westcott School Left and Right Handed Kids Scissors, 5 Inch Pointed, Green
Westcott School Left and Right Handed Kids Scissors, 5 Inch Pointed, Green
Price: $1.56

4.0 out of 5 stars Good scissors...small scissors., August 28, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These say they're both left and right handed...and while it's true that they fit and are comfortable for both, between my son (a lefty) and myself (normal), we both agree that cutting right handed works a bit better. It's not extreme by any means...and may even be a little biased, but that's what we think.

Past that, these scissors cut very well and require the right amount of strength to cut through (blades not too tight, or too loose to feel sloppy.) For us, the biggest thing was the recommended ages...4-6 sounds about right, as the blades themselves are incredibly short. A year or two older, and even the kid thinks it's comical about how short they are. If you do have the smaller kids in that range, then these are likely to be a great size.

Overall, very good scissors...just make sure they're really the right size for your kids!

Argan Oil 100% Organic for Face and Hair By Kioba - HEALTHIER skin, STRONGER nails, SHINIER hair - 2oz - 100% Virgin Argania Spinosa Kernel Oil From Morocco - Anti-frizz and Conditioning Hair serum - Dry, Mature and Sensitive Skin Moisturizer - Anti-aging and Collagen Promoting - 90 Day 100% Guarantee
Offered by Natural Skincare
Price: $22.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Great stuff...skin & hair, August 28, 2014
Great stuff for hair! While I also applied it to a chronically severely dry toe (seriously) over the course of a week, it made the dryness a bit less, but certainly didn't prevent it from returning to dryness...alas, no product that I've found (natural oils or chemicals) have been able to, so I can't be upset about that.

Given that, for more normal dry skin, it was a lot more appealing than using most lotions on the market today...it works quickly, and even though it leaves the skin a bit shiny, at least it's not heavily perfumed refined petroleum with a drop of natural, non-petroleum oil in it as most mainstream products are!

Overall, a great product. Recommended for hair and skin!

Disclaimer: I received this product free of charge in exchange for an honest review.

3M 39117 Complete Car Care Kit
3M 39117 Complete Car Care Kit
Price: $53.03

4.0 out of 5 stars The ALMOST complete car care kit!, August 27, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This pack has a lot of stuff in it. Almost everything you'd need or want to keep your car looking great. And by almost...when I spend a couple hours cleaning/detailing my car, I also wash the windows (this kit has no glass cleaner in it), and RainX them (this kit has no RainX equivalent in it.) However, what is in this kit is remarkably great...

1. Starting with the Leather/Vinyl restorer. This stuff works great. I usually use Armor All Leather Protectant (or the wipes version of that), and this 3M stuff so so much better it makes Armor All look like they just want you to smear grease all over your seats. The 3M stuff in this kit brings out the shine, judging from the detail cloths I used after applying, it also cleans as it goes along. And afterwards, your seats aren't slippery. And as an added bonus, this has a "professional clean" scent that I can't quite describe.

2. The car wash in this kit is also good. It's comparable to "high end" consumer car washes - it lathers great, cleans well, and rinses off easily. And for some reason, it's cherry scented!

3. The hard plastic cleaner that is intended to clean up slight yellowing of headlights works great. As a tip, if your headlights are foggy at all (but not yellow), use this anyway. It works great...it's like a wash and wax for your headlights!

4. The Spray-On quick was is good, though I wouldn't trust it as the "final wax before winter" or anything. Seems mostly intended to make the car look good and shiny between the more powerful wax.

5. Which brings up the Synthetic Wax. This stuff is great, but it's also very comparable to Nu Finish Liquid Car Polish. For me, it's a toss-up between the two, though if I had to pick, I'd probably lean towards the Nu Finish, as you can apply it in sunlight if you want (and I know it lasts a long time.) If the 3M holds up well, then it's mostly back to preference.

6. The wheel and tire cleaner was probably the biggest disappointment. It may clean your tires, but it does NOT give them the wet/brand new look like Black Magic Tire Wet Foam and similar products do. And for cleaning my wheels...I didn't notice them any easier to clean, or cleaner from using this stuff vs. just using a sponge w/ the car wash.

7. It's awesome that they included the detail clothes with the product, since you'll probably want a short pile of them when using all these products.

8. I didn't try the scratch remover...

Overall, a very good kit that, here in the Pacific "Northwet" is just missing some kind of RainX product for the rainy season, which is almost always just a day or two away. For the products that are in it, they range from vastly bettering the competition (leather cleaner), to tying (was), with the one stinker of the tire/wheel cleaner.

But for detailing your car, you can't go wrong with this kit...maybe pick up some RainX and some foaming tire cleaner, and really have THE complete kit. Recommended product!

Minor Injury and Minor Illness at a Glance
Minor Injury and Minor Illness at a Glance
by Francis Morris
Price: $27.73
35 used & new from $27.73

4.0 out of 5 stars Self diagnosis...or for doctors!, August 25, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This book is setup in a way that allows you (you, the doctor, of course) to quickly find a topic (shoulder injury, respiratory illness, etc) by section, and then guides through common diagnosis, and the steps that should be taken to come to the diagnosis. For me, while I'm not a doctor (but can understand a fair deal of the terminology in this book), this will be basically my "prediagnosis" before heading out to the doctor to tell me the usual same things but in a more important-sounding way: "your body will take care of itself, but I can get you some pills if you want to not feel it while it takes care of itself."

After having self-diagnosed myself on multiple occasions, three of which ended up requiring surgery, I decided to go through my own symptoms that I remember that I was able to diagnose myself and was successful on. While this book would have guided a doctor to the same diagnosis, it did miss a couple completely...like in abdominal pain, it got a lot of things (which, admittedly, could have probably spanned this entire book), but there wasn't a mention of a hernia at all. Perhaps the authors assume the attending doctor would do the Cough Test...

Overall, this is a good reference book for anyone who would like to take the first pass of taking care of his or her own health, which should be everyone. Recommended.

InStyler Original Rotating Hot Iron, Purple, 1-1/4 Inch
InStyler Original Rotating Hot Iron, Purple, 1-1/4 Inch
Price: $99.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Works on coarse unrelaxed natural hair., August 25, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have coarse, natural hair with very tight curls. My hair usually takes 3-4 hours to get straight and I have to use Renpure Brazilian Flat Iron spray to get any shine and no frizz. I have been relaxer free for 4 plus years now and I really don't spend time combing my hair out after my washes so it is pretty dry (I don't use any other products only when flat ironing) and tangled.

I was a bit skeptical about the Instyler after reading the instructions since it mentions not using any oil based products (Olive Oil is an ingredient in the Renpure and I've never had problems with it frying hair or anything just leaves a very nice shine). But I decided to tackle my hair, product free with the Instyler by itself. I pressed the power button to get it ready for my coarse hair and it as suggested Rapid Heating! It was ready to go after a few short minutes. I took a small section of my hair and SHOCK...I had no idea that there was a motor in it (never saw the infomercials) so after my initial surprise I prepared myself to straighten my hair with styler in my right hand, rolling rod pointed down, brush bristles up. I ended up with non-straight ends. So I figured I was holding it wrong! Went to the website checked out some of the videos and decided to find a different hold that worked. That part took some getting used to for nice straight ends. I am not sure if I am even doing it "correct" but the results I get I am happy with and now it is a breeze! It took me seriously about an hour and a half to get my hair shiny, straight and styled without the use of my trusted Renpure product. This is definitely a product I will continue to use and the fact that I don't have to use my Renpure is an added plus.

A couple things I did and didn't really like: the size of the handle was too big. My ceramic flat iron has a smaller handle. The placement of the power button on the Instyler is in a much better place compared to my flat iron. I liked that the rod did roll as I didn't feel any pulling/tugging of my hair so no breakage. The Instyler gets very hot so be careful with getting close to the roots, around the ears and back of neck. It came with a guard that I used at first but found that it was in my way so I went without it. Overall this will be my number one tool for getting my hair in check!

Be sure to experiment a bit to figure out the the proper way to hold the Instyler that works best for you! All in all, I would recommend this InStyler hot iron!

Bissell 1233 C4 Cyclonic Bagless Canister Vacuum
Bissell 1233 C4 Cyclonic Bagless Canister Vacuum
Price: $292.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Very powerful, very awesome, August 22, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm not one to get all giddy about a vacuum. Nor am I the type of person that would spend upwards of a grand to get an extra pretty or extra well marketed one. I just want one that works. If it's versatile, that's even better, as long as each function it claims to do works well.

Over the years, I've had a Panasonic upright (the longest lasting vacuum I've had - not as powerful as others); a Dirt Devil canister vacuum that was more powerful than the Panasonic, but just kind of stopped working one day, never to work again. And, of course, the ol' standard upright Hoover that everyone has had at one point in their life - not the newer (and presumably better ones), I'm talking about the ones that make a lot of noise to not do much.

Comparing this Bissell to the lot of vacuums I've used over time, this one is obviously more powerful than any of the previous ones. In fact, it was a bit more difficult to push across some of our floors because of the high suction level. Not really difficult, but not quite the easy roll of others. Very nice.

The versatility all checks out as well - working from the full vacuum, you basically just start snapping off pieces and keep going! Off goes the thing that rolls on the floor, and suddenly you have a long-range thing to suck spider webs off the ceiling. Snap another piece off, and you have a shorter, more manageable tube to work on your couches and such. Works very well on car seats, too. And another snap, and you have the same thing, but shorter with with a more rigid "brush" at the end to loosen stuff up (presumably. That's how I used it, at least.)

In each piece, they all worked well...perhaps because it was basically the same functionality with some slight modifications.

Overall, this is a great vacuum that will now become our #1...hopefully it holds up (I'll add on here if anything goes haywire earlier than it should.) In fact, the biggest downfall of this vacuum is that its surface area when rolling over floors is a bit smaller than traditional uprights, so if you have a lot of floors/carpet to vacuum and don't care about the other features, then you might want to see about getting something with a wider header to cut down on vacuuming time. Otherwise, I'd highly recommend this one!

Iams ProActive Health Smart Puppy Premium Food, 15-Pound
Iams ProActive Health Smart Puppy Premium Food, 15-Pound
Price: $17.97
7 used & new from $10.96

4.0 out of 5 stars Dogs eat it, better than some competition; too much grain, August 20, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Why do so many mass-market dog foods have to contain ingredients that dogs don't actually thrive on? Oh, that's right, because those ingredients (grain...corn) is cheap, and can fill in some nutrition stats.

Alas, our small dogs (maybe not quite puppies, but not old dogs by any means) enjoyed this food. They also enjoyed, however, the "Beneful" dog food from another company that puts even more corn into their food than this Iams stuff. Sooo...maybe my dogs will eat whatever I feed them, but I just wish that there didn't have to be so many ingredients that pad nutritional info while not being what dogs actually thrive on.

All in all, it's better than many dog foods out there (Beneful included), but I'd still compare to other ingredients list to see if you can minimize the amount of grain. (As a plus, the main ingredient in this food IS chicken.)

The Way Inn: A Novel
The Way Inn: A Novel
by Will Wiles
Price: $11.24

4.0 out of 5 stars Almost two separate books and plots..., August 20, 2014
This review is from: The Way Inn: A Novel (Paperback)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Despite the fact that the last two sections of the book appear to be about something completely different from the first section, overall, the story is still mostly cohesive. While the first section (not chapters, because this book has no chapters...at least, not the advanced reader copy), the main character is going along doing his job and has some turmoil there, it's not until much later than anything sci-fi or out of the ordinary actually happens.

And when it does happen, it's pretty interesting. I wouldn't say earth shattering by any stretch, but there is enough interest in the characters and the overwhelming flow of the main characters thoughts and feelings that you want to see how things pan out. Just would've been better had there maybe been a deeper connection between the first third of the book and the latter two thirds.

As far as the writing goes - I found myself skipping over many of the overly descriptive parts. The author often describes something repeatedly, each time adding more details, and for me, it kind of got in the way of the actual story at times. But, it was easy enough to skim through it and move back to the actual plot.

Overall...a good book that's rather slow to get started and its best parts are actually in the middle, not the end. Recommended for a good weekend novel.

MLB Slammin' Sluggers Baseball Game
MLB Slammin' Sluggers Baseball Game
Price: $29.99
2 used & new from $29.95

2.0 out of 5 stars Horrible implementation of what could have been a fun game., August 18, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'll give it that this game is large...and it has players at every position (except the catcher), has a scoreboard...and is *almost* playable

But let's talk about why you shouldn't buy this game.

First, the little baseball that you use to pitch - that thing broke off on the 3rd pitch.
Second, the pitcher pitches so dang fast that you have zero chance of actually hitting it, unless you just leave your bat across the plate at all times.
Third, because of #2, you're not going to be using the scoreboard.
Fourth, you'll never have time to move your fields on the off-chance that somebody actually hits the ball, because it all moves too fast. Luckily, the instructions say to move the fielders before pitching. Unfortunately, it still doesn't matter because of both #2, and because if you happen to make contact, it's just as likely that the ball will end up in the pit in front of the field for an out.
Fifth, it's cheap plastic, and the little visor behind home plate rattled off when a batter swung and missed at the high-velocity BB that the pitcher "threw."

Want a game like this, only better? We also have the Circa Baseball Desktop Game, which is actually playable (kind of pinball like), that may not have the "features" that this one does, but it's built solid and works well. (And the little knob thing that you pitch with on the Circa baseball one will eventually come off, but it's incredibly easy to fix. Fixing this plastic MLB one might be possible with InstaMorph - Moldable, but other than that, it's a no-go.)

Overall, on the first day, this game broke, wasn't fun for an 8 year old or the parents, has "features" that are basically unusuable, and is more expensive than something that is actually fun AND re-playable.

Not recommended. I'd go with some "official MLB" stickers and the Circa Baseball game any day over this thing.

SanDisk Cruzer 16GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive- SDCZ36-016G-B35
SanDisk Cruzer 16GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive- SDCZ36-016G-B35
Price: $8.88
126 used & new from $4.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great price per GB!, August 14, 2014
Great little flash drive! While for the price point you're sacrificing some durability in the housing and other niceties (keyring hook, for example), the price per GB makes this thing an excellent buy. I've used other brands before, and while I don't religiously measure read-write speeds, this one seemed right on par with others (mid ranges ones, at least.)

Recommended!