Profile for eyecore > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 695

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

eyecore RSS Feed (PacNW, USA)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Tmvel 26W Tri-Port 3 USB Car Charger with QGadi Technology for iPhone 5s/5c, iPad, Samsung Galaxy S5/S4 Note 3, HTC One M8 - Retail Packaging - Black
Offered by PVCS
Price: $6.99
3 used & new from $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars The best car charger I've used to date., July 6, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Finally, such a simple little thing that actually works how it's supposed to. I've had numerous of these...some of them would charge my phone but not my mp3 player; some the mp3 player but not my phone or tablet, and all the permutations you can think of. None of them worked for all my devices. Well, I take that back, before this one, there was ONE that actually worked on all my devices.

And that one (previous to this one) that actually worked on all my USB chargeable things had yet another fatal flaw - the thing wouldn't stay in the cigarette lighter. That's kind of important when charging things from it. This one, from a company whose name I don't even know how to pronounce ("Tmvel") took care of that, too. It stays in the cig lighter!

So granted, a device that charges stuff like it's supposed to and stays in a plug like it's supposed to should be difficult to find...but I'm glad that this one found me. It works perfectly for me. Highly recommended.

Wilson Jones 362 Basic Round Ring View Binder, 1 1/2 Inches, White (W362-34WV)
Wilson Jones 362 Basic Round Ring View Binder, 1 1/2 Inches, White (W362-34WV)
Price: $8.82
25 used & new from $2.90

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best binder I've used..., July 6, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Assuming that you haven't discovered D-ring binders yet and still actually want round-ring binders, this one may handle the task. But in this, I found a few things lacking.

First, the cover of the entire binder (where you'd slide papers into to make a "cover") isn't very tight, so instead of a clean and sharp, it looks like it's wrapped in the loose skin of an 80 year old person. Second, the price. At time of writing, this is just under 9 bucks. I can find cheaper elsewhere. And lastly, it's not D-ring. Maybe a personal preference, but I can't personally see why anyone would want round ringers over D rings.

As far as positives - it's a binder, it does its job, and the rings all open and close without coming misaligned, even stuffed with some notebook paper. So, not entirely recommended, but it certainly can do the job.

Out of Range: A Novel
Out of Range: A Novel
by Hank Steinberg
Price: $18.92
151 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Fun to read, mostly, July 6, 2014
This review is from: Out of Range: A Novel (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
While the story is mostly solid, it also has some letdowns that would have been nice to have changed a bit during editing... mostly, more description of things. The narrator does a decent job of letting us know what the characters are thinking and doing (even if it often times uses a near-paragraph of narrator-driven questions.) But what about the whole country of Somewhere-Istan? Not much in the way of what's there to immerse the reader very deeply. Then again, the back of the book also states that the author is working on a screenplay for the book, so it could be that this was basically a trial-run for a fully conceived plot, and all the missing parts will be there visually on the screen.

Regardless of the various pitfalls, the book was mostly entertaining, even if a little flat.

As long as you're not looking for something with rich character development, a rock-solid plot, or anything remotely realistic, then you may enjoy this...then again, if you don't mind those considerable aspects of a book to be lacking or missing, then you're probably going to wait for this to be a movie... Overall...OK book, but not worth bumping to the top of a summer reading list.

Vegetable Spiral Slicer - Perfect Stainless Steel Spiral Cutter for Low Carb Healthy Vegetable Meals with Japanese Blades and 2 Julienne Sizes
Offered by Attmu Kitchen
Price: $10.99

3.0 out of 5 stars "Works great on firm vegetables such as carrots, July 6, 2014
The back of the box says: "Works great on firm vegetables such as carrots, photos, turnip, rutabaga, zucchini, cucumbers, large radishes, apples, squash, pears, pears, etc." I'm not sure what type of vegetable "photos" are, and those fruits at the end...aren't vegetables, but the worst thing about it is that this spiral slicer does NOT work well on hard veggies at all.

First tried with a carrot - this thing basically chipped away at a carrot the same way a 6-year-old kind would: oddly, misshapen chunks all over. Even a potato was the same way - it simply wouldn't get a nice, spiral cut (and I had to slice the potato in half to get it to fit in one end to begin with, too.)

For softer items likes cukes and zucchini, it worked better, but still not that well. Overall, it's simply not a great product - but given that I ran out of veggies to test on and that soft foods worked much better than hard foods, I'll give it the benefit of the doubt - if you're using soft veggies, this may work out.

Also curious was the note that this is "Dishwater" safe. Not sure if that means you need to wash it in a sink, or if it means that dishwater in your dishwasher is also good to use.

Disclaimer: I received this product free of charge from the manufacturer in exchange for an honest review.

Gogogu Instant-read Digital BBQ Thermometer ★ Stainless Steel -58F to 572F Wide Temperature Digital Kitchen Thermometer ★ Riskfree Lifetime Money Back Guarantee ★ Easy Safe Barbecue Grill Thermometer and Meat Thermometer ★ High Definition LCD Food Thermometer ★ Waterproof Design Digital Cooking Thermometer ★ Easy Clean Baking Thermometer and Water Thermometer
Offered by Gogogu
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great thermometer, as advertised, July 6, 2014
Compared this to a very similar Taylor 9842 Commercial Waterproof Digital Thermometer that we have. Really, the only thing that the Taylor has over this one is the NSF certification, which can actually be pretty important. This Gogodu does NOT state that it is NSF certified. As far as temperatures, Gogogu and the NSF certified Taylor were always with 0.6 degrees (F) of each other. However, NSF certifies not just the measurement, but also that the design meets the standards for being able to clean (from my vantage, this Gogogu is just as cleanable as the Taylor.) The one thing that I can't vouch for is that NSF would have verified is that it is non-toxic, durable and resistant to corrosion. Time will tell for the latter two, I'll just hope this sucker isn't toxic.

So, from my "layman's" perspective on this thermometer, it's great...but having the NSF certification would have made it even nicer. All in all, this appears to be a good all-around product. Lastly, as far as being waterproof - both this one and my Taylor say they are waterproof. I take this to mean that I can get a soapy sponge, clean the entire thing, rinse it off, and move on...and they both work fine with that. I don't (and have no plans to) put these into a sink of soapy water, nor a dishwasher...

Disclaimer: I received this product free of change from the manufacturer in exchange for an honest review.

Enfamil for Supplementing, Milk Based Infant Formula, Bottles, 8fl ounce 6 count (Pack of 4)
Price: $47.96
2 used & new from $47.96

3.0 out of 5 stars Easy for grab-and-go, good stuff, June 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Our little one isn't exactly a picky one when feeding. This pre-mixed formula was just as readily accepted as other brands that we mix, but as always, we prefer breast milk over all. To that end, I appreciate that Enfamil specifically states that this is for supplementing breast feeding - whether or not that's how the public at large treats it is up in the air, but we believe that's exactly the best use of this formula... can't get to a boob, and don't have time (or a place) to start mixing - grab a bottle! Quite handy.

However, and this is strictly a personal thing for us, is the corn syrup solids is likely derived from GMO corn. We mostly eat organic food in our house and if not, we get the most natural, GMO-free ingredients in everything we can. Earth's Best and Vermont Organics even provide organic formula now! If Enfamil sourced only non-GMO ingredients (maybe even became certified GMO-free), this product would be more popular in our house... as it is, it's a good product with lots of potential to become a great one!

Timeline
Timeline
Price: $12.62
53 used & new from $7.62

3.0 out of 5 stars Missing key elements of a great game, June 29, 2014
This review is from: Timeline (Toy)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
We're a family a game players, be it board games (most likely), card games, or video games (least likely.) And for the most part, we look for certain things in our games. Unfortunately, this game lacks several of those features.

First, the replay value of this game diminishes very quickly. We've played probably a dozen times over the weekend, and now we're at the stage of "I've had all these cards before," and we're starting to memorize the general era of the inventions that we didn't already know, if not the exact date. Given another week, we likely won't be playing this at all.

Second, and to us it's pretty important, is that this game is lacking any sort of strategy. The closest to strategy that's possible is to play a card close to the date of another card, in hopes that your opponents next play is made a bit more difficult. We also don't enjoy many games that require dice as they provide an element of sheer randomness - but...

Third, this game isn't based on skill (memorization, maybe? But at that point, the game is boring.) Nor is it based on randomness of dice. It's basically guessing. You guess at first, hoping to draw some reasonable conclusions. After you play it several times, you're still guessing unless you have it memorized.

Lastly, each time we play a game, that game-play session could basically be a story of who did what, when, and why. This game doesn't provide any kind of recap or postmortem after the game is completed. It just, thankfully, comes to an end.

For us, we're sticking with games like Ticket to Ride, Agricola, and Scotland Yards... while this game was fun for a few days, it's already lost its appeal, and I don't plan on buying a bunch more cards in order to make it more interesting for a few more days.

Wouldn't recommend this...

Panasonic BK-3MCCA4BA eneloop AA New 2100 Cycle Ni-MH Pre-Charged Rechargeable Batteries, 4 Pack
Price: $14.79
28 used & new from $9.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great batteries, enough to switch, June 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've charged these both in a La Crosse Technology BC1000 Charger and a Maha CH-401 charger, and they've taken a full charge and lasted what seems to me as just as long as standard alkaline batteries. For low-discharge batteries such as these, I usually buy Maha Imedion AA 2400mAh NiMH Rechargeable Batteries because they last as long as the standard Eneloops and are usually cheaper (especially in bulk. However, these Panasonic ones do just as well of a job, and while rated lower (2000mAh), they do a fine job.

Overall, a fine battery that depending on the current price vs. the competition, I wouldn't hesitate to buy.

Epson WorkForce WF-7610 Wireless and WiFi Direct, All-in-One Wide-Format Color Inkjet Printer, Copier, Scanner, 2-Sided Auto Duplex, ADF, Fax. Prints from Tablet/Smartphone. AirPrint Compatible. (C11CC98201)
Price: $248.99
2 used & new from $248.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It really does everything., June 29, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been previously relying on a couple different machines to handle the things I do as cheaply and highest quality as possible - those include another Epson all-in-one printer, as well as a color laser printer. At this point, those machines are being retired because this Epson WF-7610 consolidates the best features of both of them into one (rather large) machine.

First off, you're going to want a dedicated table or stand for this. It feels mostly like a small office machine, or even home office...but I personally wouldn't hesitate to send it through the ropes with several users printing to it. Given that it can print 13x19 prints, you can imagine how big it is overall. (Big.)

As far as print quality goes - it's better than my color laser, and given that it can accept glossy paper and, in general, various types of paper, it surpasses it in terms of flexibility as well. Further, for cheap black and white printing, this Epson accepts an "XL" cartridge that prints up to 2200 pages (their claim), that for my printing needs, is great.

Setup is incredibly easy: just follow the few instructions; if you have a USB cable at the ready, it's a little bit easier, but if you don't, it looks like you can use the touch-screen to configure things - network printing/wireless printing/mobile printing. As far as mobile printing goes - I attempted to test it on my Samsung Galaxy player, but apparently it's not compatible with Espon's print software. Once I give it a try with a Kindle Fire, I'll update this. For my setup, I'm using WiFi to print, but also have it plugged into my main machine via USB for scanning purposes - originally it didn't look like you could do it over WiFi, but now I have "USB" and my machine name both listed, so perhaps it does.

Copying is just what you'd expect...quick and high quality.

The ADF (auto document feeder) is a great feature as well - you can copy a stack of papers without sitting around and feeding it one by one, saving a lot of time. The 13x19 printing is an interesting feature that, now that I have it, I can see myself using it more often, likely for making traceable outlines for stenciling, for example.

As with previous models, if you're looking to scan in United States dollars for your in-basement counterfeiting operation, this Epson will prevent you from doing that via an "Action Not Supported" message: "This application does not support the unauthorized processing of bank note images." Similar deal with copying.

The fax machine...well, this isn't the 90's anymore, so I'm guessing they threw in that option for the few places that haven't heard of the internet yet, but I did verify that it did indeed send a readable fax.

While all the features have been great, thus far the only "problem" I've had is that if the paper you're using isn't completely flat, it may pull through 2 when printing. So don't try to flatten out some wrinkled paper in an attempt to save a fraction of a cent like I did.

Overall, a great machine - maybe a bit too much for many home-use applications, but the 13x19 printing is great, the photo quality is great, along with the rest of the features, so if you're looking for a versatile all-in-one, this could handle most homes and small offices. Recommend.

Leading Man (Vintage Contemporaries Original)
Leading Man (Vintage Contemporaries Original)
by Benjamin Svetkey
Price: $12.18
115 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't live up to tagline, but it's a good story, June 28, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
"A hilarious, bittersweet, heartwarming debut novel..."

When you're reading a book, and you think to yourself "Oh, the author just made a joke," you it's not a funny story. I was expecting something to at least crack a smile, but alas, the author's sense of humor and mine simply didn't match up whatsoever throughout this entire book.

Luckily, the story itself was interesting enough to carry itself without any humor (and, quite frankly, without much character development)...I was actually looking forward to reading it after setting it down for a while. The main character is critically flawed as a person, but for some reason, I was rooting for him all along, so the author had to have done something right.

Overall, I enjoyed the book, despite it being not funny, the main character being a rather boring fellow in my eyes, and having way too many pop culture references for my blood (completely understandable, given what the book is about and the narration). In spite of all those personal nitpicks, I'd still recommend reading this.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20