Profile for P. Hamm > Reviews

Helpful Votes: 1922

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

P. Hamm "p-squared" RSS Feed (Maineville, OH)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Olympus OM-D E-M5 16MP Live MOS Interchangeable Lens Camera with 3.0-Inch Tilting OLED Touchscreen [Body Only] (Black)
Price: $999.00
35 used & new from $470.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Camera with Big Capability, July 18, 2014
What a stellar camera.

I recently decided to get rid of a handful of lenses for my Nikon DX system (D90) that I've been using for years, because I wanted something smaller. After holding one in my hand and thinking about it for a few weeks, I took the plunge and got the EM-5.

It is so much handier than the big bloated (for the sensor size) DX stuff I've been using. So small, still fits in the hand really well.

Do some internet research (especially read ALL of Thom Hogan's review) so that you can learn the pitfalls of the very lacking menu system (once you learn it, it's fine, but it's got some wacky stuff, not very well labeled, or with strange acronyms, etc.). And if you are going to shoot sports, don't go here. You need a real DSLR for that.

And, the software from Olympus for cataloging and transferring is just awful (compared to the fantastic stuff Nikon does). It'd get 5 stars if not for that and the AF limitations.

But, with the kit lens and basic 40-150 zoom, you can get just about any image you need (outside of action).

And it makes photography fun again. I will very likely get rid of the rest of the Nikon DX stuff, but am going to wait a month and see.

Pioneer SE-MX7-K Headphone, Matte Black
Pioneer SE-MX7-K Headphone, Matte Black
Price: $184.99
5 used & new from $184.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Come for the style, not for the sound..., July 17, 2014
...or the comfort...

First off, the product presentation on these is extraordinary. They come packed in a beautiful package, with a detachable cord (what a GREAT feature) and a carrying case (which this reviewer found too small to carry the headphones without detaching the cord... a minor annoyance). The stop start button, microphone and volume control on the cord will delight those with an iPhone or iPad or Android phone or tablet.

Listening to a variety of musical styles on this set of headphones makes you realize why Pioneer claims they are a line of high quality headphones optimized for listening to dance music." Folk, classical, jazz... Not here, folks. They'll work okay, but you will constantly be fidgeting with the bass control to get the right amount of bass. Folk needed one setting that worked okay. Rock and Dance and Hip Hop and Pop all sounded just fine at another, and the fact that you can adjust the bass on these is simply wonderful. That feature will be really great if you listen in a lot of different situations, noise-wise (I'm talking to you, metro commuters).

In this reviewer's opinion, the treble is week no matter how you set it. Classical and jazz? Forget it. If you're into those styles of music, these are the wrong headphones to get, and Pioneer probably knows this, so I did NOT ding my review for that shortcoming.

Comfortable? No. Sorry. No. They aren't horrible, but they are the most uncomfortable pair of phones this reviewer remembers using. The cups don't surround the whole ear and feel like they're pressing too hard. They don't hurt, but you never forget you're wearing headphones.

But you aren't buying these because of sound or comfort. This set of headphones is a $200.00 fashion accessory anyway. They look like "beats", they probably sound like them. If that's what you're after, this is a 5-star product... except...

200 dollars for these? Give me a break. I can't in good conscience give them 5 or even 4 stars due to that. For about half of that, you could have the excellent sounding Sennheiser HD 280 or 380 or AKG K240, both the kind of headphones a professional recording engineer (not a DJ) would find themselves using (I personally own a set of K240s and the HD 280). But those headphones don't look look stylish and they don't have unnaturally strong bass (with the capability to boost it even more.. If you want those things, these headphones will make you happy. And again, if most of your listening is current dance/pop/rock/hip-hop, there is no reason to think that these won't work great for your purposes.

Please note: I am reviewing the SE-MX7-K, and not the SE-MX9-K, since the 7 is the unit that Amazon sent me as a vine reviewer. We Vine reviewers are required to review the products we are sent to remain active in the program, So I was REQUIRED to post a review for the MX9... but I copied that review to this page as well.

Pioneer SE-MX9-K Headphones, Indigo Black
Pioneer SE-MX9-K Headphones, Indigo Black
Price: $296.99
6 used & new from $261.20

3.0 out of 5 stars Come For the Style, Not Necessarily for the Sound..., July 17, 2014
...or the comfort...

Please note: I am reviewing the SE-MX7-K, and not the SE-MX9-K, since the 7 is the unit that Amazon sent me as a vine reviewer. We Vine reviewers are required to review the products we are sent to remain active in the program, So I MUST post a review here... but I will copy this review to the proper page as well. I'm certain the MX9 is very very similar, and will excel in the same areas that the MX7 did.

Know the Heretics (KNOW Series)
Know the Heretics (KNOW Series)
by Justin S. Holcomb
Price: $11.07
61 used & new from $6.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Reading for Any Christian, July 14, 2014
An excellent summary.

Holcomb takes the very essence of what "heresy" really is and distills it, based on the most infamous heresies of the church through its history, making it understandable by anybody.

Probably not a "must read" for clergy who've already been educated in these fascinating parts of the history of the church, but I think this is especially helpful for the modern "heresy hunter", of which there are so many.

Even if you only read the introduction, which does a great job or defining what heresy is (and isn't), it will help those who are alarmed by the growing number of Christians who are on a "heresy witch hunt".

Dive deeper, chapter by chapter if you wish, or out of order, or just as a reference work to refer to when needing to understand these things.

Very highly recommended.

Brookstone Compact Wine Opener
Brookstone Compact Wine Opener
4 used & new from $89.99

5.0 out of 5 stars it works better than anything I've tried close to the price, July 1, 2014
This review is from: Brookstone Compact Wine Opener
Quite frankly, it works better than anything I've tried close to the price, including "fancier" electronic gadgets that should be easier, but aren't.

The foil cutter it comes with is kinda weak, but the actual opener works great.

The Answer to Bad Religion Is Not No Religion: A Guide to Good Religion for Seekers, Skeptics, and Believers
by Martin Thielen
Price: $12.27
51 used & new from $7.73

5.0 out of 5 stars Moderate Does NOT Mean Lukewarm, July 1, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is simply an extraordinary little book. Written in a style that will appeal to anyone, no matter how "theologically" they think, Thielen posits that the answer to those who pull back from organized Christian religion (especially the very far right über-conservative variety) might just be the more moderate and tolerant middle-ground that is often found in mainline Christianity.

I've been saying for a while (to any friends who will listen) that the death-knell for mainline Christianity has been sounded far too soon, and I bet Thielen would agree.

Filled with great illustrations and stories, it is however a tragedy that some who would really benefit from a broadening of their perspective will probably never read such a volume, but if you are inclined, this book is well well worth your attention and time.

Elixir Strings 11182 Acoustic 80/20 Bronze Guitar Strings with NANOWEB Coating, HD Light Gauge
Price: $16.41
9 used & new from $14.99

2.0 out of 5 stars I'm a BIG Fan of Elixir Strings... But..., June 24, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was looking forward to trying these, as I've loved this company's product since day one.

But I think they've messed around with the gauge, slapped a meaningless "HD" tag on, and added a few bucks to the price. More profit in someone's pocket for marketing jargon.

I have a smaller-bodied guitar, so these should have, by their claim, given me better balance, but imho, the opposite happened. The bottom dropped out, the top end stopped sizzling, and the middle strings totally took over when I strum with a pick.

When I play with fingers it's better, but not worth spending more money on than the normal .012s I've been using (which I think I liked a lot better).

It's possible that these work great on the Taylor guitars they were ostensibly designed for (color me skeptical), but I'd say if you're happy with what you have, you need not try these.

Again, long-time user and big fan, but paying extra money for a slightly different gauge and a silly "HD" moniker... no thanks.

Belkin Universal Tablet Stand / Holder for Most Tablets including iPad, Galaxy Tab and Kindle (Grey)
Offered by kaawamart
Price: $9.97
9 used & new from $4.90

4.0 out of 5 stars An iPod Accessory that does what it should AND is NOT overpriced, May 28, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Most of the accessories for stuff like this are great, but overpriced (many of the cases and such). this one offers something great, and is worth the few bucks it costs.

My iPod case doesn't quite get my iPod at a level I can deal with for viewing on a desktop. This one nails it. Very nicely. Just the right angle, looks fine on your desktop, doesn't take up a lot of space, and not a lot of money.

How can you argue with that?!?

Ragamuffin
Ragamuffin
DVD ~ Michael Koch
Price: $9.99
39 used & new from $5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars God loves the broken., May 23, 2014
This review is from: Ragamuffin (DVD)
I’m going to get the bad out of the way. If you’re hoping this movie “solves” all the problems of the so-called “Christian movie industry”, it does not. It is too long by at least a half-hour, we never feel like the main character really is Mullins until almost a half-hour into the film, and it seems preachier than it needs to be, often using way too much dialog to communicate messages that filmmakers should be able to make with far less talking and far more skillful directing, acting and editing. Anachronisms abound for those who look for them (certain musical equipment and instruments appear years and years before they actually were available), the lighting seems to be an afterthought, and in many cases (as I implied earlier) paragraphs of dialog abound where lines would do.

If you think this movie is just as bad as so many Christian films (virtually all that I have seen in fact) are, you’d also be wrong. Refreshingly, this film does not sanitize the smoking, drinking, cussing (okay, maybe it eases up on the cussing, I’m okay with that), broken character that Rich apparently was. That, I found refreshing. And when Michael Koch finally “finds” the main character (or should I say, when we finally believe in him and the director finally sets the character free), he carries it well, warts (and there are many) and all. I was impressed with how Koch sings and plays the part so well (using his own voice by the way), too, right down to the occasional sloppy piano and idiosyncratic vocal stylings. The stress of growing up with such a broken father-son relationship plays a major role, as it should, and explains much of what we need to know about the character (reminded me of Johnny Cash, actually).

I was fortunate enough to meet Mullins during his too-short life, about 7 years before his death. By “meet”, I don’t mean shake hands after a concert, but in fact along with a small group of folks got to spend hours and hours with him talking and really getting to know each other. He was, by far, the most interesting person I have ever met. So… I am a little biased in saying that beyond the flaws in this film (again, typical of so many Christian movies, and of so much Christian music for that matter), is the story of a man who was worth knowing and knowing about, not in spite of, but partly because of his flaws. I can probably count on one hand the number of Christian songwriters who come close to Mullins’ talent and transparency (even if I’m missing a finger or two), and I’m thrilled that this film might introduce some new people to his work. Even more, maybe more people will come to grips with the fact that Jesus not only doesn’t mind their brokenness, but loves them right in the middle of it all.

That would thrill Rich the most.

NET Bible Noteless
NET Bible Noteless
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars favorite bible translation, May 19, 2014
NO notes, but it's free, and at least you don't get distracted by all those notes when you just want to read. This translation is non-sectarian, not paid for by a publishing company, and has very little, if any, "agenda". It's been my main translation for years, now it's on my Kindle. Awesome.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20