Profile for P. Hamm > Reviews

Helpful Votes: 1928

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

P. Hamm "p-squared" RSS Feed (Maineville, OH)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Chasing God
Chasing God
by Angie Smith
Price: $15.10
62 used & new from $8.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Charming and Funny, September 1, 2014
This review is from: Chasing God (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
There's a difference between chasing and following, and perhaps many of us who try to follow are really chasing, by our own effort, in our own strength and on our own terms.

But following should be less painful, less stressful.

Angie does a nice job of giving us an alternate way of looking at following God, and she does it with a kind of ADHD humor and wit that makes you smile on nearly every page.

I expected this to be a "chick book", and was pleasantly surprised when it was not.

If you're burning out on chasing after God, this book will be a great read.

Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter, Nikon G-type to Micro 4/3 Olympus PEN and Panasonic Lumix Cameras
Price: $26.57
2 used & new from $21.14

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid, mechanically sound and handy, August 18, 2014
There's some confusion among different similar products on this page, I am talking about the Fotodiox N/G-m4/3 adapter. I am only using it with one lens, a fantastic nearly 40-year old Nikkor 55mm f3.5 AI lens.

I found no difficulty whatsoever with mounting or un-mounting the lens on this adapter, nor did I have any problems with it mounting on the camera. There is no electronic coupling, nor is there any camera control of aperture, and of course no AF control (although my lens doesn't have AF anyway).

In short, this is a product to use if you have legacy lenses and don't mind taking your time taking photos. If you are trying to take quick candids or sport shots, avoid this product.

My EM-5 struggled to meter properly when stopped down to really small apertures (f22 and f32) but this is no matter, because with the µ43 sensor, those apertures are ruined by diffraction anyway.

You can set the aperture, focus, then stop down using the aperture ring on the adapter, and it works just great.

However, the macro lens (which I use for still shots of things that aren't moving, and for which I can take my sweet old time composing and focusing) is the only kind of lens I'd use on this. Anything requiring shooting something moving, I wouldn't bother.

Ragamuffin: Music Inspired By the Motion Picture
Ragamuffin: Music Inspired By the Motion Picture
Price: $13.98
26 used & new from $9.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Fitting Tribute to an Amazing Songwriter, August 16, 2014
I was a little skeptical of this CD, since many of the young artists involved are a generation away from Rich (although some were actually present the first time around with a "tribute" disc 16 years ago), who's been gone from us almost 17 years now. But the quality of these covers is extraordinary. In fact, in several cases, I might prefer these new recordings over the original (making me wonder what kind of music Rich would be making if he were still with us).

In a sense, every one of these songs is a standout, but if I had to pick one or two, it's probably be "Cry the Name" (one of my favorite songs Rich wrote) but especially "Calling Out Your Name" (my favorite... song... ever...).

The demos and filmmaker message at the end are just an added bonus. The real beauty of this disc is some very talented singers and songwriters in their own right covering favorite songs from the very best Christian songwriter we've yet seen.

I miss Rich and whatever music he might have made in the past almost 2 decades terribly, and some of these songs literally brought me to tears with that longing.

This disc doesn't have any direct correlation to the film, by the way. These recordings are not in the motion picture, but are "inspired" by it. No matter, it still made me want to sit down and watch the movie again.

D'Addario NS Micro Universal Tuner
D'Addario NS Micro Universal Tuner
Price: $16.54
8 used & new from $10.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally Brilliant, August 13, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The "bad news" first. There's no mike, so you HAVE to clip this on to your instrument to tune. Some other units have a mike in addition. Although I can see how that would be handy, for my (and I suspect your) use it is a useless feature.

The fact is, there are no instructions necessary for this brilliant little device. You just clip on and go. If you're way flat or sharp, it shows red, as you get close, it turns yellow, then when you're close enough, green. Very intuitive.

If you forget to turn it off when you put it in the case, it turns off. Other tuners I've owned don't have this VITAL feature and I have found out too late that my battery was dead.

It's super small and won't really even be very visible to your audience, it is priced just right... there is absolutely no flaw in this perfectly brilliant design.

Rookie Smarts: Why Learning Beats Knowing in the New Game of Work
Rookie Smarts: Why Learning Beats Knowing in the New Game of Work
by Liz Wiseman
Price: $18.33

5.0 out of 5 stars This might be the "IT" book for a new generation of business leaders., August 10, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Another home run from Liz Wiseman.

I really was helped by her last book, Multipliers, and this one might even be more helpful.

What if experience is overrated? What if rookies, in whatever field they are new at, might be the most effective people you have. What if learning really does make us smarter and able to advance our organizations in ways that well-trained and experienced people never can.

Liz shows from her research (and, I might add, from some well-placed common sense) that in many cases that is exactly what is true.

Great stories and anecdotes and sound reason grace this very well-written book that will be well worth your time and effort.

Lexmark MS315dn Monochrome Printer
Lexmark MS315dn Monochrome Printer
Price: $224.00
36 used & new from $224.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Good seemingly robust printer for a decent price., August 4, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It works great, it hooks up easily, the "out of the box" experience takes just a few minutes, and it prints what you send it.

Seriously, at this point you really can't lose with any major-name laser printer, as the technology is decades old. It's a big box, but fit on a pretty small shelf for me just fine. As is typical with network printers, the network setup will only make sense if you know how to do network setup and understand some of the terminology, but it wasn't that hard.

What is hard is trying to understand why printer manufacturers ship their printers with a teeny little toner cartridge that lets you print just a few pages. I would think the company that priced them so that you got a full toner cartridge would make out in the "good will" department. But I didn't ding the printer for that.

Haven't used it with a PC yet, but worked fine with my Mac.

Olympus OM-D E-M5 16MP Live MOS Interchangeable Lens Camera with 3.0-Inch Tilting OLED Touchscreen [Body Only] (Black)
Offered by 17th Street Photo
Price: $799.00
36 used & new from $430.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Little Camera with Big Capability, July 18, 2014
What a stellar camera.

I recently decided to get rid of a handful of lenses for my Nikon DX system (D90) that I've been using for years, because I wanted something smaller. After holding one in my hand and thinking about it for a few weeks, I took the plunge and got the EM-5.

It is so much handier than the big bloated (for the sensor size) DX stuff I've been using. So small, still fits in the hand really well.

Do some internet research (especially read ALL of Thom Hogan's review) so that you can learn the pitfalls of the very lacking menu system (once you learn it, it's fine, but it's got some wacky stuff, not very well labeled, or with strange acronyms, etc.). And if you are going to shoot sports, don't go here. You need a real DSLR for that.

And, the software from Olympus for cataloging and transferring is just awful (compared to the fantastic stuff Nikon does). It'd get 5 stars if not for that and the AF limitations.

But, with the kit lens and basic 40-150 zoom, you can get just about any image you need (outside of action).

And it makes photography fun again. I will very likely get rid of the rest of the Nikon DX stuff, but am going to wait a month and see.

Pioneer SE-MX7-K Headphone, Matte Black
Pioneer SE-MX7-K Headphone, Matte Black
Price: $177.75
5 used & new from $177.75

3.0 out of 5 stars Come for the style, not for the sound..., July 17, 2014
...or the comfort...

First off, the product presentation on these is extraordinary. They come packed in a beautiful package, with a detachable cord (what a GREAT feature) and a carrying case (which this reviewer found too small to carry the headphones without detaching the cord... a minor annoyance). The stop start button, microphone and volume control on the cord will delight those with an iPhone or iPad or Android phone or tablet.

Listening to a variety of musical styles on this set of headphones makes you realize why Pioneer claims they are a line of high quality headphones optimized for listening to dance music." Folk, classical, jazz... Not here, folks. They'll work okay, but you will constantly be fidgeting with the bass control to get the right amount of bass. Folk needed one setting that worked okay. Rock and Dance and Hip Hop and Pop all sounded just fine at another, and the fact that you can adjust the bass on these is simply wonderful. That feature will be really great if you listen in a lot of different situations, noise-wise (I'm talking to you, metro commuters).

In this reviewer's opinion, the treble is week no matter how you set it. Classical and jazz? Forget it. If you're into those styles of music, these are the wrong headphones to get, and Pioneer probably knows this, so I did NOT ding my review for that shortcoming.

Comfortable? No. Sorry. No. They aren't horrible, but they are the most uncomfortable pair of phones this reviewer remembers using. The cups don't surround the whole ear and feel like they're pressing too hard. They don't hurt, but you never forget you're wearing headphones.

But you aren't buying these because of sound or comfort. This set of headphones is a $200.00 fashion accessory anyway. They look like "beats", they probably sound like them. If that's what you're after, this is a 5-star product... except...

200 dollars for these? Give me a break. I can't in good conscience give them 5 or even 4 stars due to that. For about half of that, you could have the excellent sounding Sennheiser HD 280 or 380 or AKG K240, both the kind of headphones a professional recording engineer (not a DJ) would find themselves using (I personally own a set of K240s and the HD 280). But those headphones don't look look stylish and they don't have unnaturally strong bass (with the capability to boost it even more.. If you want those things, these headphones will make you happy. And again, if most of your listening is current dance/pop/rock/hip-hop, there is no reason to think that these won't work great for your purposes.

Please note: I am reviewing the SE-MX7-K, and not the SE-MX9-K, since the 7 is the unit that Amazon sent me as a vine reviewer. We Vine reviewers are required to review the products we are sent to remain active in the program, So I was REQUIRED to post a review for the MX9... but I copied that review to this page as well.

Pioneer SE-MX9-K Headphones, Indigo Black
Pioneer SE-MX9-K Headphones, Indigo Black
Price: $249.00
7 used & new from $229.25

3.0 out of 5 stars Come For the Style, Not Necessarily for the Sound..., July 17, 2014
...or the comfort...

Please note: I am reviewing the SE-MX7-K, and not the SE-MX9-K, since the 7 is the unit that Amazon sent me as a vine reviewer. We Vine reviewers are required to review the products we are sent to remain active in the program, So I MUST post a review here... but I will copy this review to the proper page as well. I'm certain the MX9 is very very similar, and will excel in the same areas that the MX7 did.

Know the Heretics (KNOW Series)
Know the Heretics (KNOW Series)
by Justin S. Holcomb
Price: $10.48
55 used & new from $6.84

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Reading for Any Christian, July 14, 2014
An excellent summary.

Holcomb takes the very essence of what "heresy" really is and distills it, based on the most infamous heresies of the church through its history, making it understandable by anybody.

Probably not a "must read" for clergy who've already been educated in these fascinating parts of the history of the church, but I think this is especially helpful for the modern "heresy hunter", of which there are so many.

Even if you only read the introduction, which does a great job or defining what heresy is (and isn't), it will help those who are alarmed by the growing number of Christians who are on a "heresy witch hunt".

Dive deeper, chapter by chapter if you wish, or out of order, or just as a reference work to refer to when needing to understand these things.

Very highly recommended.