Profile for P. Hamm > Reviews

Helpful Votes: 1935

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

P. Hamm "p-squared" RSS Feed (Maineville, OH)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Epson Expression Premium XP-620 Wireless Color Photo Printer with Scanner and Copier
Offered by Beach Audio
Price: Click here to see our price
11 used & new from $141.86

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid Everyday Printer, September 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Of all the printers I've owned, Epson gives me the best user experience with inkjets like HP gives me the best experience with lasers. This product is a very capable everyday printer, scanner, and copier.

Those who need 6-color printing, ethernet and heavy duty printing should look elsewhere, but if desk space is at a premium, this is a great choice. Print speed is reasonably fast, definitely on par with others in its class.

It features a separate photo black and "regular" black cartridges. I don't know if that makes the photos any better. Far better for photos is a 6-color printer, but for what this offers, 4-color is plenty.

Add the bonus of a CD printing function and the value increases.

PowerCube Extended USB, Electric Outlet Adapter 5ft Extension Cord Power Strip with 4 outlets, Dual USB Port and Resettable Fuse PC-4400-USEUPC
Offered by Rover Mall
Price: $24.95
5 used & new from $22.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant design at a great price, September 14, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I really didn't expect to like this so much. But it is really a great desk accessory. There's NO way that the four outlets on here will get in the way of each other, as they are on 4 sides of the cube. You lose one if you use the included "mount" accessory, though. I wish they had made it so that you could mount it on the end that has no outlet... except... wait... there is no end that has nothing on it, because those even cooler than cool USB charger outlets are there.

I'm not mounting it, so I get four outlets and 2 USB chargers.

I simply love this design. Perfect in every way.

Olympus FL-600R Wireless Flash
Olympus FL-600R Wireless Flash
Price: $299.00
18 used & new from $264.77

4.0 out of 5 stars Marvelous addition to a OM-D camera, September 8, 2014
I came from Nikon, and used the SB600 on a D90 for a few years. The only reason that this product doesn't get 5 stars is because the way that Nikon's i-TTL works is truly the best in the digital interchangeable lens camera world. Simply amazing.

That said, this is a MUCH smaller flash than other "full-featured" flashes, it is much easier to set up and use than the SB600 was, and... this is delightful... once you set it up to be a RC slave, it automatically knows, when you put it on the camera, that it wants to be in TTL-A mode. I wish my Nikon had done that. It means that once I have it set up, it's super easy to just put on and take off and use the way I want it to function without having to futz with menus.

The flash isn't as accurate as with Nikon, but it's really very good. The bounce capability works well, the little built-in diffuser and reflector work remarkably well, but I will probably add a Sto-Fen diffuser. The on-board LED for shooting video works great, and can be set to just come on automatically, but I don't like that kind of light very much for shooting video anyway, so I'll rarely use it.

Lastly, it balances VERY well on an OM-D camera (I have an EM-5, I'm sure it works as well on the EM-1 and EM-10) but it is a little big and ungainly on a little PEN (I have an E-PM1).

Ernie Ball 2566 Aluminum Bronze Medium-Light Acoustic Guitar String Set (.012 - .054)
Price: $7.49
10 used & new from $6.89

4.0 out of 5 stars Surprisingly good strings at a very good price., September 5, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am truly surprised by these strings.

I am a regular user of .012 gauge Elixir 80/20 bronze on my US-built Wechter Pathmaker with Walnut back and sides. good mix of finger-picking and flat picking and I'm very happy with the Elixirs, and have been using them almost exclusively for 15 years on acoustic. Every now and again I try something different and am always disappointed.

I didn't expect much.

I feel like these Aluminum Bronze strings are a bit quieter than the 80/20s but very even across the range of notes, yielding very clear note-to-note definition and clarity. Finge-picking and strumming are both really good with these strings, no compromise on either end. They seem like they'll last a while, and are far less than the coated strings that I've been using. Tuning stability is no problem whatsoever.

I might like the Elixirs just a tad more, and they might last a little longer, but they are also more expensive.

In short, as much as I love my Elixirs, this is a string I may try again, and could potentially see myself using on a regular basis.

Chasing God
Chasing God
by Angie Smith
Price: $15.22
70 used & new from $8.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Charming and Funny, September 1, 2014
This review is from: Chasing God (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
There's a difference between chasing and following, and perhaps many of us who try to follow are really chasing, by our own effort, in our own strength and on our own terms.

But following should be less painful, less stressful.

Angie does a nice job of giving us an alternate way of looking at following God, and she does it with a kind of ADHD humor and wit that makes you smile on nearly every page.

I expected this to be a "chick book", and was pleasantly surprised when it was not.

If you're burning out on chasing after God, this book will be a great read.

Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter, Nikon G-type to Micro 4/3 Olympus PEN and Panasonic Lumix Cameras
Price: $26.59
2 used & new from $21.14

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid, mechanically sound and handy, August 18, 2014
There's some confusion among different similar products on this page, I am talking about the Fotodiox N/G-m4/3 adapter. I am only using it with one lens, a fantastic nearly 40-year old Nikkor 55mm f3.5 AI lens.

I found no difficulty whatsoever with mounting or un-mounting the lens on this adapter, nor did I have any problems with it mounting on the camera. There is no electronic coupling, nor is there any camera control of aperture, and of course no AF control (although my lens doesn't have AF anyway).

In short, this is a product to use if you have legacy lenses and don't mind taking your time taking photos. If you are trying to take quick candids or sport shots, avoid this product.

My EM-5 struggled to meter properly when stopped down to really small apertures (f22 and f32) but this is no matter, because with the µ43 sensor, those apertures are ruined by diffraction anyway.

You can set the aperture, focus, then stop down using the aperture ring on the adapter, and it works just great.

However, the macro lens (which I use for still shots of things that aren't moving, and for which I can take my sweet old time composing and focusing) is the only kind of lens I'd use on this. Anything requiring shooting something moving, I wouldn't bother.

Ragamuffin: Music Inspired By the Motion Picture
Ragamuffin: Music Inspired By the Motion Picture
Price: $13.88
24 used & new from $9.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Fitting Tribute to an Amazing Songwriter, August 16, 2014
I was a little skeptical of this CD, since many of the young artists involved are a generation away from Rich (although some were actually present the first time around with a "tribute" disc 16 years ago), who's been gone from us almost 17 years now. But the quality of these covers is extraordinary. In fact, in several cases, I might prefer these new recordings over the original (making me wonder what kind of music Rich would be making if he were still with us).

In a sense, every one of these songs is a standout, but if I had to pick one or two, it's probably be "Cry the Name" (one of my favorite songs Rich wrote) but especially "Calling Out Your Name" (my favorite... song... ever...).

The demos and filmmaker message at the end are just an added bonus. The real beauty of this disc is some very talented singers and songwriters in their own right covering favorite songs from the very best Christian songwriter we've yet seen.

I miss Rich and whatever music he might have made in the past almost 2 decades terribly, and some of these songs literally brought me to tears with that longing.

This disc doesn't have any direct correlation to the film, by the way. These recordings are not in the motion picture, but are "inspired" by it. No matter, it still made me want to sit down and watch the movie again.

D'Addario NS Micro Universal Tuner
D'Addario NS Micro Universal Tuner
Price: $16.77
13 used & new from $10.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally Brilliant, August 13, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The "bad news" first. There's no mike, so you HAVE to clip this on to your instrument to tune. Some other units have a mike in addition. Although I can see how that would be handy, for my (and I suspect your) use it is a useless feature.

The fact is, there are no instructions necessary for this brilliant little device. You just clip on and go. If you're way flat or sharp, it shows red, as you get close, it turns yellow, then when you're close enough, green. Very intuitive.

If you forget to turn it off when you put it in the case, it turns off. Other tuners I've owned don't have this VITAL feature and I have found out too late that my battery was dead.

It's super small and won't really even be very visible to your audience, it is priced just right... there is absolutely no flaw in this perfectly brilliant design.

Rookie Smarts: Why Learning Beats Knowing in the New Game of Work
Rookie Smarts: Why Learning Beats Knowing in the New Game of Work
by Liz Wiseman
Price: $18.33

5.0 out of 5 stars This might be the "IT" book for a new generation of business leaders., August 10, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Another home run from Liz Wiseman.

I really was helped by her last book, Multipliers, and this one might even be more helpful.

What if experience is overrated? What if rookies, in whatever field they are new at, might be the most effective people you have. What if learning really does make us smarter and able to advance our organizations in ways that well-trained and experienced people never can.

Liz shows from her research (and, I might add, from some well-placed common sense) that in many cases that is exactly what is true.

Great stories and anecdotes and sound reason grace this very well-written book that will be well worth your time and effort.

Lexmark MS315dn Monochrome Printer
Lexmark MS315dn Monochrome Printer
Price: $219.99
18 used & new from $197.67

4.0 out of 5 stars Good seemingly robust printer for a decent price., August 4, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It works great, it hooks up easily, the "out of the box" experience takes just a few minutes, and it prints what you send it.

Seriously, at this point you really can't lose with any major-name laser printer, as the technology is decades old. It's a big box, but fit on a pretty small shelf for me just fine. As is typical with network printers, the network setup will only make sense if you know how to do network setup and understand some of the terminology, but it wasn't that hard.

What is hard is trying to understand why printer manufacturers ship their printers with a teeny little toner cartridge that lets you print just a few pages. I would think the company that priced them so that you got a full toner cartridge would make out in the "good will" department. But I didn't ding the printer for that.

Haven't used it with a PC yet, but worked fine with my Mac.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20