Profile for Stephen Dublanica > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 23

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Stephen Dublanica RSS Feed (Ridgefield, NJ United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Pinaud - Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum - 12 oz
Pinaud - Clubman Virgin Island Bay Rum - 12 oz
Offered by A M K
Price: $13.88
11 used & new from $11.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, January 10, 2015
Good, honest old fashioned scent.

Edwin Jagger Black Aluminum Travel Pure Badger Shaving Shave Brush-81M536
Edwin Jagger Black Aluminum Travel Pure Badger Shaving Shave Brush-81M536

5.0 out of 5 stars Well made, compact and perfect for travel, August 14, 2014
Out of the box the brush has a musty "badger smell" but I used the brush in place of my silvertip for a week and the smell decreased considerably. Since the brush is screwed atop the carrying tube it can be a bit awkward to maneuver around your face but I got used to it. The brush head is small but I have found it works exceptionally well with hard shave soaps (I use a D.H. Harris stick when traveling) more so than my daily brush. I think that might have something to do with the firmer bristles.

The unit is well made, compact and perfect for travel. It dries fairly quickly and I didn't notice any moisture leaking into my dopp kit. But when I get home from a trip I clean my brush with Dazzle Soap (The low residue stuff you use to clean baby bottles) and then soak it in 20/80 solution of water and white vinegar for ten minutes and let it air dry disassembled overnight.

So if you're looking for a good brush for the road, this is the one.

Out on the Cutting Edge (Matthew Scudder Mysteries Series Book 7)
Out on the Cutting Edge (Matthew Scudder Mysteries Series Book 7)
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $4.74

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best detective novels I've ever read., July 17, 2014
An astonishingly great detective novel. The plotting is subtle, believable, human and the ending catches you completely by surprise. Read this book!

Merkur HD 34C, Chrome Plated
Merkur HD 34C, Chrome Plated
Offered by Nuvo Products
Price: $44.95
9 used & new from $42.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Razor, June 11, 2014
I purchased this razor two years ago and it's an excellent razor. It's perfectly sized for home use or travel. (I recommend you buy a leather case to protect it in your travel bag.) The finish has held up and looks brand new after I clean it. Because it's a two piece it's tricker to clean but an old toothbrush and some mild dish soap will do the job. This razor could outlast you.

Seiko Men's SNZH53 Seiko 5 Automatic Dark Blue Dial Stainless Steel Watch
Seiko Men's SNZH53 Seiko 5 Automatic Dark Blue Dial Stainless Steel Watch
Offered by It'sAboutTime
Price: $169.00
7 used & new from $159.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice dive style watch for the money., May 21, 2014
The Seiko SNZH53 is a nice dive STYLE watch for the money. Without a screw down crown and only 100 meter water resistance, you'd be crazy to go swimming with it.

Reminsicent of a Blanpain 50 Fathoms, the photographs of this Seiko on Amazon don't do it justice. It's a lovely watch. Not a watch you'll hand to your grandkids, but it'll last you a good amount of time. The bezel works better than I thought it would and the domed Harldex crystal is a great feature. The bracelet isn't good so I swapped it out with a gold/brown leather strap from Holben. Casual observation tells me the power reserve is 30 something hours. Keeps excellent time. I'll probably get the black version of this watch as well.

Kershaw 8700 Shuffle Folding Knife
Kershaw 8700 Shuffle Folding Knife
Price: $16.99
43 used & new from $13.03

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value for the money, February 26, 2014
I bought this knife for two reasons First, I wanted a cheap folder whose loss wouldn't break the bank if it disappeared or got busted. Secondly, since I'm a folder guy, I often find myself at a loss when people ask me to open a bottle cap or turn a screw. If I'm carrying my Swiss Army, no problem. But I prefer folders that clip to my pocket and this knife looked like it would fit the bill. And hey, it's cheap.

The handle's texture is a bit rough so it'll tear up fabric when clipped to your pocket. Also, if you keep the knife in your pocket, the bottle opener feature can scratch your hand when you reach in to retrieve it. But it's built like a tank, easy to hold, sharp out of the box and it's easy to touch up the edge. Did I mention it was cheap. Good value for the money. Buy two.

Seiko 5 Automatic Black Dial Stainless Steel Mens Watch SNZG13
Seiko 5 Automatic Black Dial Stainless Steel Mens Watch SNZG13
Offered by Dexclusive
Price: $106.70
11 used & new from $102.33

4.0 out of 5 stars Must have got a good one, January 14, 2014
I purchased this watch as a "beater," an automatic watch for daily wear that wouldn't break my heart if it got broken.

Mine had a sticker on the back saying "Assembled in Hong Kong" and cannot find "Maylasia" anywhere on the case back, so I have no idea where the movement is from, and I really don't care. Comparing it to my Victorknox infantry Quartz, the watch only loses a few seconds a day - not bad at all. I've only adjusted the time, by a minute, once in two weeks. I'd have loved a hacking feature on this watch, but you get what you pay for and I have no need to synchronize my watch for commando operations. The bracelet is comfortable, the watch has a nice heft, sits close to the wrist and the lume is more than adequate for my purposes. The dial is utilitarian and the numbers are easy to read. I appreciate the 24 hour markers since I do have to use military time on my job. The watch has a power reserve of about 30 something hours, which means I swing it side to side forty times on a day I'm not wearing it.

All in all, a good value for the money

Switchblade: An Original Short Story
Switchblade: An Original Short Story
Offered by Hachette Book Group
Price: $0.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Skip it, January 14, 2014
I'm really annoyed at the practice of best selling authors writing these 99 cent ebooks. I love Connelly's Bosch novels, but this story felt like it was written in a day. I wish the author just poured his considerable talent into his novels and not these snippets designed for marketing purposes.

Columbia River Knife And Tool's Shrimp 1181 Razor Edge Knife, Silver
Columbia River Knife And Tool's Shrimp 1181 Razor Edge Knife, Silver
Offered by The Perfect Aim Sports
Price: $9.93
9 used & new from $9.93

3.0 out of 5 stars Just okay, June 8, 2012
I picked this knife up for $11 dollars at REI and am still mystified as to what its purpose is. It's not a keychain knife, the flimsy keyring rules that out. It's also too small to be clipped to your pocket like a normal folder. Also, it's a pain to open and kind of chunky. There are much better options out there for EDC. I'd take a Spyderco Ladybug over this any day. Keychain knife - get a Swiss Army.

But the knife is well built, shaving sharp out of the box and hey, it was only eleven bucks. I'll find a use for it, probably opening Amazon boxes.

Columbia River M16-10Z EDC 3-inch Folding Knife
Columbia River M16-10Z EDC 3-inch Folding Knife
Offered by Rocky Mountain LLC
Price: $25.31
61 used & new from $16.54

2.0 out of 5 stars Not a great knife, May 30, 2012
The CRKT M-16 is not a terribly good knife. First off, I find closing it a real pain in the keister. You have to depress a safety knob before you can push the liner lock out of the way to close the knife. This makes one handed closing a bit of a chore. With practice it can be done, but I think the system is overly complicated. Also, the action gets stuck at times and you have to exert quite a bit of force to move the liner lock. Just another thing to go wrong and it makes the knife undependable.

The knife is, to its credit, very sharp. But the handle feels cheap and does not sit well in the hand. It also does not ride well clipped inside a pocket. I only carry the knife if think I'll need to lend it out. If it gets lost I won't mind. For a little more you can get an excellent knife like the Sog Blink.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3