Profile for A. Kirk > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

A. Kirk RSS Feed (Baltimore, MD USA)

Clover B7A-Black Hot and Cold Water Dispenser in Black
Clover B7A-Black Hot and Cold Water Dispenser in Black

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Loud Water Cooler, September 15, 2013
Maybe I got a bad unit, but the constant "humm" from this water cooler drove me nuts, so we had to unplug it. We had a different type of water cooler that worked great for many years (don't remember the brand), but it eventually started to leak so we decided to get this Clover one. We keep the water cooler in our kitchen and the humm was very noticeable in any adjoining room. For several months we just kept it unplugged and drank room temperature water. However, after going away for a week, we came back and the water had an awful taste. We drained it, swapped out the bottle, but can't get the bad taste to go away. Presume it is because the water is not cycling, but since it is so loud plugged in, we are just going to order a different unit. I don't recommend this one.

Griffin GB03745 IntelliCase for iPad 3, Black
Griffin GB03745 IntelliCase for iPad 3, Black
Offered by TurboDeals
Price: $3.95
13 used & new from $3.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Great iPad Case if you Liked the Original iPad Case, November 8, 2012
With the introduction of the iPad 2, Apple came up with the smart cover design, which was good because it kept the device thin. However, it really made it difficult to prop up the iPad for reading and the magnets constantly were coming off.

I really like this case a lot, because it does not add a lot of thickness to the iPad, but gives the flap on the back, which allows you to tuck the cover into the back and create the angle to prop the iPad up, like you could do with the original iPad case. Also, the cover seems to stay in place on the iPad front better and absolutely doesn't come off unless you pop the iPad out of the plastic backing.

It does have an overall plastic feel to it, which is fine on the back, but would have been nice if the cover flap was cloth or leather instead of plastic.

My wife and I both got one of these, and we did each have different issues with it that started after about 6 months of use, causing us to both get new ones. Mine was a minor one, where the cover flap started to "fray" and the edges actually opened, revealing the inner plastic pieces. I used it this way for several weeks. My wife's issues were a bit different, and really aren't necessarily the fault of the cover. First, she dropped her iPad and the plastic backing chipped off. This is probably a benefit, because the iPad itself was not damaged. She got a new Intellicase, and when trying to "pop" it into the new plastic backing, she must have pressed on the front of the iPad too far from the corners, because she actually cracked the screen. Apple replaced the iPad for free, but just be careful getting the iPad into the plastic case.

With that said, I have not had any problems getting it in and out of the case, just carefully insert it by applying pressure right near the edges.

Olympus M.Zuiko 14-150mm f/4.0-5.6 Micro 4/3 ED Digital Zoom Lens for OM-D EM-5 & PEN E-P2, E-P3, E-PL1, E-PL2, E-PL3, E-PM1 Digital Camera (Refurbished by Olympus America)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Outdoor Family Lens, November 8, 2012
I got this lens refurbished, which provided substantial savings and I can't spot any issue at all, other than the lack of original packaging.

This is a great improvement over the kit zoom lens, even if it is not the sharpest or fastest. With outdoor activities involving young kids, it is good to have a wide range zoom like this, since you will likely miss shots switching lenses at an amusement park, festival, etc. However, it is a bit soft and really not fast enough to use once the sun begins to set or indoors.

The lens definitely has a plastic feel to it, which does make it seem a bit cheap, but also makes it very light. With that said, given the long extension that pops out when zooming, it doesn't make the camera seem front heavy. Also, I have had absolutely no zoom creep, or whatever you call it when the lens starts to extend while walking around with it. This is tight and stays in place.

Coming from the Sony NEX system to the micro 4/3rds this lens is super tiny compared to the E-Mount 18-200 lens. This provides roughly the same equivalent focal lengths (28-300 vs 27-300), but it is half the size and weight.

It is tough to tell from the photos on-line, but this lens is basically the same size as the weatherproof 12-50mm kit lens that comes with the Olympus OM-D E-M5. It is the same height and only slightly thicker.

Bose Lifestyle T20 home theater system--Black (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Bose Lifestyle T20 home theater system--Black (Discontinued by Manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars Sound is Great, but Remote Control Is Frustrating, April 23, 2011
I am not going to review the sound quality of this device, as plenty of other people have covered that here. I am very happy with this system, but I want to touch on two things I did not see covered when I was researching this product:

1) The Good: You can use your existing surround sound speaker wire with this product. I looked and looked and couldn't find an answer to this before buying, and was worried I was going to have to get the proprietary Bose speaker wire fished through my walls. You don't have to do that. Just connect the ends of the Bose provided speaker wire to the wall plate, and then hook the speakers up. I am hoping this doesn't have any impact on the sound quality of the rear speakers, but if it does, I haven't noticed so don't tell me.

2) The Bad: The remote control does not work well with my Verizon Fios box. The set up of this system requires that all of your components go through the Bose box and you only have one HDMI cord going out to the TV. Therefore, switching the TV input does not allow you to move between your cable/sat box and DVD player, you have to use the "source" button on the Bose remote to switch. Although the universal remote provided is high quality, my preference was to keep using the Verizon Fios remote that was provided with my cable box, as we are used to it and all of the necessary buttons are there. I was able to set up the Bose system as the AUX source, get it to turn on when I turned on the TV and Cable box and the volume buttons control the volume of the Bose surround sound. However, the universal remote codes provided by Bose do not allow the Fios remote to control the "Source" that the Bose is displaying. Hitting TV input does nothing. Therefore, if I want to use the Fios Remote, I have to keep the Bose remote nearby when I want to switch to watch a DVD or Apple TV.

The other option is to use the provided Bose universal remote to control the Verizon Fios box. For most functions this works well, but it takes some getting used to. The biggest headache is that the Bose remote doesn't provide a dedicated "List" button to access your recorded DVR programs or an "On Demand" button. To get to those you need to hit "More" on the remote, which brings up virtual buttons on your TV screen, and you then need to arrow left or right to get to the button you were looking for. I can live with this, but there is one other BIG problem with the provided Bose remote that I haven't been able to solve.

With the Verizon Fios box, when it goes to "sleep" after periods of non-use, there is a message on the screen that requires you to hit the menu button on the remote to watch anything. The problem is that hitting menu on the Bose remote does not wake the system. Therefore, I am back to having two remotes so I can hit menu on the Fios remote to wake it up when turning on the TV.

This may not be an issue with other providers (where you can usually hit any key to watch), but this does seem to be an issue between Verizon Fios and the Bose system. I went into one of the Bose stores and asked the salesperson and he indicated that this was a known issue with Fios. I have not given up on finding a solution for this, but I have found the remote control frustrating. I will update if I find a solution (other than using two remotes)
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 8, 2013 9:53 AM PST

Apple TV MC572LL/A (2nd Generation) (Old Version)
Apple TV MC572LL/A (2nd Generation) (Old Version)
Offered by BigBear Express(No Tax)
Price: $339.99
65 used & new from $164.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Product for the Price, Has Room to Improve, April 23, 2011
I was an owner of an original Apple TV, and replaced that with the Logitech Revue Google TV box when it came out. However, the only thing I used that for was Netflix and found that it was big, intrusive (rather than being a separate device, you have to watch your regular TV through the box) and clunky to go online.

The Second Gen Apple TV is on a better track and I am much happier with it than Google TV. It is a separate component that you switch to, like a DVD player, and does not try to replace your TV interface or overlay on top of your cable/sat box. The interface on the Apple TV is slick and intuitive (as would be expected with Apple) and I love how Netflix, MLB.tv (and hopefully Hulu in the future??) are worked into the menu structure naturally, rather than being separate apps. The interface also makes it easy to browse for things to watch. The picture quality is great, streaming begins quickly and you can access all iTunes content on your various computer hard-drives, iPads or iPhones.

The reason this does not have five stars really has to do with the content selection available through the Apple TV device, the inability to make purchases within the interface and the lack of cloud storage for purchases:

1) The selection of TV shows and movies available for rent through the Apple TV interface is lacking. Hopefully that will improve with time once the creators of good content come to realize that streaming devices are the future for delivery of their programming

2) It is frustrating that if you want to purchase a movie or TV show (if it is not available to rent), you have to go to your computer, download it and then go back to the Apple TV and wait until it shows up under the available items to start playing. The original Apple TV was much better in this regard because you could select the program you want through the menu structure, choose to buy it and start watching immediately. I imagine the solution to this problem lies in the lack of cloud storage, which leads us to....

3) Apple should provide cloud storage for your purchases (similar to what Amazon does) which allow you to stream them without worrying about having your computer or iPad on. I am guessing this is a licensing issue and it will be worked out, but as a consumer it is frustrating. If you purchased the digital content and that content is in their cloud available for streaming, why can't they allow us to stream it without downloading it to a harddrive first.

Seidio Innocell 1750mAh Slim Extended Battery for Motorola Droid X - Battery - Retail Packaging
Price: $49.47
3 used & new from $25.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Battery does not fit properly - phone turns off, November 9, 2010
I bought this battery about a month ago as a backup for a trip to a conference. Charged my factory battery fully, then swapped out to this battery, charged it up and everything went great. The battery carried a great charge and I had no problems (in fact the charge lasted so long that I never needed to use the factory battery, which I had been carrying as a backup).

Fast forward a month later, and I still had this battery in my phone for day to day use with no problems. Then this week I went on another trip, so I charged the Seidio battery fully and then swapped back to the factory battery to "top off" the charge since it hadn't been used in about a month.

After heavy use the first day, the factory battery died about half-way through my flight so I switched to the Seidio. However, I could only get the phone to power on with the battery door off. Every time I put the battery door back on, the phone would instantly turn off (power gone). I finally figured out that when the battery door was being slid up into place, it would disconnect the battery contacts. I tried sticking a small piece of folded tape at the top of the battery to keep it pushed back, and that allowed me to put the battery door on, but whenever I took it out of my pocket the battery must have shifted and would lose power again.

This sucks.... The battery was good but is now essentially useless since it won't stay in contact with the contacts the provide the charge to the phone.

Crumpler 4 MILLION DOLLAR HOME Shoulder Photo Bag (Black/Gun Metal/Oatmeal)
Crumpler 4 MILLION DOLLAR HOME Shoulder Photo Bag (Black/Gun Metal/Oatmeal)

4.0 out of 5 stars Too Big for DSLR and External Flash, January 5, 2009
I just got the bag and was dying to love it, and it is a great bag. Just too small for a NikonD90 with 18-200mm lens and external flash. It all fits, but I think it will be too hard to pull it out and put it back on the fly. Also, I don't see my wife putting everything back the exact right way to make it all fit. Therefore, I think it is too close for comfort.

I am returning this and ordering the 5m home. Hope it is not too big, but I would rather have a bag that is a too big than too small.

Great quality and would definitely recommend it for a DSLR with no external flash. It would go in and out easily.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 6, 2009 6:16 AM PST