Industrial-Sized Deals Shop all Back to School Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin TransparentGGWin  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Big Savings in the Amazon Fall Sportsman Event STEM Toys & Games
Profile for Uriah Piddle > Reviews

Browse

Uriah Piddle's Profile

Customer Reviews: 48

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Uriah Piddle RSS Feed (Minneapolis, Minnesota United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Rosewill RX-358 U3C BLK 3.5-Inch USB3.0 Aluminum and Plastic eSATA External Enclosure Hardrive, Black (RX-358 U3C BLK)
Offered by KDS Warehouse
Price: $59.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Defective, April 20, 2015
I had the old USB 2.0 version and it worked so I ordered two of these USB 3.0 units and I now have the same problem that others have reported which is the drive is not recognized by the computer most of the time. Some reviewers have reported that there is a firmware update at the Rosewill site but, as of the time of this writing, there is none. Also, I see that there are no more units of this product available to purchase anywhere on the internet and I take that to mean that it has been taken off the market as defective. I would not recommend this product for purchase although it's rather pointless now since there are none available.

UPDATE (May 23, 2015): I asked Rosewill what the status of this product is and I don't think they understood or perhaps they didn't want to discuss the matter. I have my enclosures hooked up to the computer with eSATA cables now and they work. They do not work with USB cables no matter the version. If you purchase this product, perhaps yours will.

Why the World around You Isn't as It Appears
Why the World around You Isn't as It Appears
Price: $5.99

3.0 out of 5 stars In Need of Editing, January 24, 2015
I couldn't finish the book. I suspect that it was written too fast and was probably not given to an outside/professional editor before being sent to the printer. I hesitate to give this book less than three stars because I like Barfield and he deserves the effort to bring his ideas into the larger sphere although this book is not a particularly well written effort.

In the introduction, the author notes that many Oprah Winfrey guests, who hold unorthodox views, are treated by society as having 'alternative' views and he calls this a paradox the 'unravelling' of which is an important goal of the book. I don't see anything paradoxical here and I'm not even sure that there's an irony but I'm at the beginning of a book that sets itself to explain an issue in a way that is badly framed and it's discouraging. A few pages further in, the author states that science cannot reconcile the materialist view of matter with quantum physics and he calls this a 'logical fallacy'. It is not a logical fallacy, it is simply a statement about an assertion that has been convincingly challenged. What is the reader supposed to do with this? Is the author's argument dependent on this being treated as a logical fallacy? Still, I paid good money for the book and I didn't want to give up so I skipped forward a bit and encountered this fragment: '. . . the poles of logic and creativity . . .' Poles of logic and creativity? I don't think that these two terms have any natural polarity of meaning. Perhaps the author is trying to draw the reader's attention to two pop-psychology types of individuals (vaguely drawn as they are): the 'creative' type and the 'logical' type and, if that's the intent, he should state it in those terms instead of confusing things. In any case, I could not keep on going. Reading Barfield himself is hard work but you get rewarded for it; reading this book is just painful.

On the other hand, I have to entertain the possibility that this book is really aimed at explaining Barfield to the Oprah Winfrey crowd in which case all of this is pointless.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 31, 2015 12:07 PM PST

WD40EZRX Western Digital 4TB Internal Hard Drive IntelliPower 64MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb
Price: $134.49
110 used & new from $96.20

5.0 out of 5 stars Exceptional Support, January 5, 2015
My drive died early on me and yet I give it five stars, why? Well, there isn't a drive manufacturer that can produce an inexpensive drive that is proof against failure, especially early failure. But any of them can, if they have the will, devise a support structure that is nearly perfect. If my experience is typical, WD has achieved this. To keep a short story short, I called them on the telephone and, after two or three menu beeps and no more than a minute of waiting music, was speaking with a courteous individual. He asked a few questions and said he'd ship me a new drive and it arrived at my doorstep two days later. WD gave me a link to a UPS label and I shipped the old drive back for free.

This is the kind of support that large, wealthy corporations expect but ordinary, small-time users receive. Thank you WD.

WD My Cloud 4 TB and WD TV Live Media Player
WD My Cloud 4 TB and WD TV Live Media Player

1.0 out of 5 stars What?, December 4, 2014
The cost of this 'bundle' is greater than the cost of the two components if bought separately. That's a weird bundle!

The Giver
The Giver
DVD
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Good, November 28, 2014
This review is from: The Giver (Amazon Instant Video)
There were a few departures from the book and a few Hollywood things thrown in but none of that matters. The film is a wonder, it succeeds brilliantly in re-creating the atmosphere of the book and exceeds on it's subversive qualities. In a town like LA, it's surprising that the obvious references to abortion and feminism were not taken out or at least neutralized but there it is. Streep was very good.

Minka Lavery Hyllcastle 6522-77 Glass ADA 2 Light 120 watt (5"H x 18"W) Sconce Lighting in Chrome
Offered by Lighting Front
Price: $163.70
12 used & new from $163.69

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice Lamp With Problems, November 21, 2014
Well, I'm in a bad mood because I've spent the better part of a Friday trying to install this lamp. They give you a base plate which gets screwed to the wall and then there is the chrome-plated backplate of the lamp itself which is anchored to the base plate with four tiny little bolts. They go through these small holes at the sides of the backplate (you can see them on the product picture) and into threaded holes in the baseplate. The problem is that you will not be able to easily accomplish this since the backplate hole is very small, it does not give you any wiggle room with which to get the bolt lined up so that the baseplate will accept it. I didn't time things but I think I put in a couple of hours and got hand cramps before it was over trying to do this and still only got half of the bolts in for two lamps. Anyway, if you buy this lamp, first try to do it the regular way and then, when you can admit to yourself that I know what I'm talking about, bring those little bolts to the hardware store and find the kind of matching bolt that has a little starter nub that extends beyond the threaded portion of the front of the bolt. That starter nub is a sort of oblique point and will find it's way into the threaded hole and guide the rest of the bolt for you. I might as well also state that, although I could be wrong, the inside of the shade does not look as though it's been etched; it looks more like it has been coated with some sort of transluscent paint which gives the effect of etching. I wonder if the paint is going to start peeling or discoloring or whatever before too long? By the way, I didn't buy this from Amazon. But I'm a regular customer here so I'm going to draw down on my stock of good will. The online store I bought it from was OK price-wise and they delivered quick but they don't let you track your shipment, they don't send you an e-mail after the purchase or even after they ship and there is no place on their website where you can review the products or even see your account. This place is big in the lamp business and I bought from them to spread my dollars around a little but next time, I'll stick with Amazon.

Mounted and everything, the lamp looks good. It seems sturdy. Setting aside the issues, I think you'll like this lamp.

Oriental Furniture 16" Gold Leaf Birds & Flowers Fishbowl
Oriental Furniture 16" Gold Leaf Birds & Flowers Fishbowl
Price: $247.75
4 used & new from $247.75

4.0 out of 5 stars We Like It, November 20, 2014
We like it. The inside is not painted black, as in the picture. The gold does not look at all like gold leaf, it looks like gold paint that is laquered over; even though it appears to be gold leaf in the picture, there isn't the metalic reflectiveness or texture that you get with gold leaf on the actual product. The design on ours is very similar but not exactly the one in the picture. On ours, the blue bird is over to the left as you are looking at it now online. These are the problems. Weigh them against the reasonable cost and the practical virtues of the product (it's a big sturdy pot) and you get four stars, maybe three-and-a-half. Overall we like it. Maybe I'm just a typical spoiled American who can't be pleased and writes too many reviews.

KOHLER K-454-3S-CP Memoirs Widespread Lavatory Faucet with Stately Design, Polished Chrome
Price: $427.65
6 used & new from $427.65

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Well Made, October 5, 2014
These faucets are a quality item. Both the valves and the faucet itself are solid brass. The handles look like they might have a void like almost all other valves but no, they are solid throughout and very heavy. Everything that comes with the kit seems very well made,

Cosmas 4310CH Polished Chrome Cabinet Hardware Bin Cup Drawer Handle Pull - 3" Hole Centers
Offered by Cabinet Hardware 4 Less
Price: $2.19

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Enough, October 5, 2014
Items that look exactly like this cost $16 in stores and they are not plastic, they are heavy and the finish is good. The only drawback is that it looks like they are made with pot metal which means they won't last 100 years. But for the money, I'm very happy, nothing lasts forever.

BlackBerry Charging Pod - cellular phone docking
BlackBerry Charging Pod - cellular phone docking
Offered by CCMACCESSORIES
Price: $9.99
6 used & new from $5.00

3.0 out of 5 stars It's Better than Nothing, July 19, 2013
Having the option of a charging pod is a big plus because plugging your phone into a cable every day can wear out its plug to say nothing of the inconvenience. But after two years, one of the contacts on my charger quit so I have to buy a new one. It's not an extremely well-made product.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5