Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1 harmonquest_s1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Reviews

Browse

A Customer

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Reviews Written by A Customer RSS Feed
The Knowledge Deficit: Closing the Shocking Education Gap for American Children
The Knowledge Deficit: Closing the Shocking Education Gap for American Children

5.0 out of 5 stars for j dykstra, June 6, 2009
i have not read this book but i wanted to answer another reviewers question. dr hirsch also wrot cultural literacy what every american needs to know n which he details his ideas for an appropriate curriculum.

Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance
Dreams from My Father: A Story of Race and Inheritance
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Opened My Eyes
by M.S.Ellis Sykesville MD
, September 14, 2008
I am a 63 year old mother of four. I started reading this book because my youngest daughter urged me t.o. Also I voted for Hillary in the primary and wanted to know more about the man who beat her. I was by turns touched frightened fascinated and healed. Even though I am a white woman his story reminded me of my own experience with disenfranchisement guilt and purposelessness. In critiquing his writing I must say he managed the right mix of storytelling and reflection like my favorite books of meditations. In fact I may use the book in that way once I figure out some of th Kindle highlighting and footnote features.
Many of his stories struck a chord. His mothers words are words Ive heard from my own parents and used on my own children. His reckless escapades recall my own childhood and my childrens. His feelings about white power structures remind me of arguments with black friends in the sixties. I thought I got it then but now thanks to this book I know I did not. I thank the author for sharing his painful journey from cynicism and near despair to understanding and hope. I am next going to read how he plans to turn his hopes for our ailing society and economy into reality. I recommend this book to anyone of any race or culture who seeks to understand a difficult or absent parent.