Profile for M. Onsgard > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 17

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

M. Onsgard RSS Feed (Tavernier, FL)

Page: 1 | 2
Otis B.O.N.E. Tool
Otis B.O.N.E. Tool
Price: $18.52
36 used & new from $18.39

3.0 out of 5 stars I dont get the hype, September 10, 2013
This review is from: Otis B.O.N.E. Tool (Sports)
Otis has been in the compact firearm cleaning product game for a while now. The B.O.N.E. is their answer to the AR 15 BCG cleaning conundrum. The B.O.N.E. cleans the firing pin, bolt, and bolt carrier. The idea is that you either insert the part you are cleaning in to the B.O.N.E. or visa versa and the "precision machined tool" will clean the carbon off the respective part.

Firing Pin - the pin gets a little carbon burned on during a moderate range session and I dont find that this tool makes the cleaning of this particular part any easier. Even after you use the tool, you still have to go back with some cleaner and a rag.

Bolt Carrier - In my opinion, this is where the B.O.N.E. shines. The carrier itself gets carbon burn down inside of it and is always the hardest to get clean. The B.O.N.E. goes down in there and scrapes out the majority of filth. Further cleaning IS necessary afterward but is made much easier because of the B.O.N.E.

Bolt - If you have ever had the joy of cleaning an AR 15 bolt then you know the pain of removing scorched carbon from the end of the bolt. Generally, a rag and cleaning solution is not enough. Before purchasing the B.O.N.E. I used a rag, solution, dental pick, and a brass bristle brush. With this I use the B.O.N.E.....a rag, solution. dental pick, and a brass bristle brush. It just doesn't get the job DONE. Yes it knocks down a good amount of the carbon, but your equipment is still not clean.

The B.O.N.E. is NOT the only tool you need to clean your AR and most certainly doesn't replace the rest of your cleaning equipment. Currently it sells for $21.75 and Prime eligible. If that is a reasonable cost for you to marginally decrease the cleaning time of your BCG then hit it up.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 13, 2015 8:52 PM PDT

Tek-Lok AR-15 Double Magazine Pouch
Tek-Lok AR-15 Double Magazine Pouch
Offered by Speed Beez
Price: $54.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Gear, September 10, 2013
Blade Tech only makes high quality gear. There are very few manufacturers that I endorse personally when it comes to LEO/Concealed Carry gear. Blade-Tech is one of them, and this product is no exception.

* Pros - Versatility - There are adjustments for everything from belt size, tension, and carry position.
- Tek Lok - Blade Tech uses this on many of their products and its obvious why. It is very easy to mount on any belt and includes a hinged lock to secure the clip.
- Build Quality - The kydex is solid and all of the hardware appears to be machined well.

* Cons - Cost - If you haven't planned for this purchase, $50 bucks can be a big unexpected expenditure.
- Tek Lok lock - Now I am nit-picking here but, depending on where you position the pouch, the lock can be a little difficult to engage and disengage.

Buy this item. while I mentioned the cost as a Con - the item is worth it IN MY OPINION. If you have some aversion to paying that much for a magazine pouch, you are the reason I put it as a con, and that is fine. If you want great gear, you have to pay for it.

Diadora Medium Team Bag (Black, 25-Inch x 11-Inch x 11-Inch)
Diadora Medium Team Bag (Black, 25-Inch x 11-Inch x 11-Inch)
Offered by Sports Unlimited®
Price: $31.95
7 used & new from $25.14

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly acceptable gym bag, September 10, 2013
This review is from: Diadora Team Bag (Medium) (Sports)
I used this bag 6 days a week as a school bag during the police academy. It was packed full on a daily basis with text books, references, gear, and extras of everything. For nearly a year this bag was abused. It never failed.

* Pros - Great intermediate size.
- Shoe pouch fits 11.5 US running shoe fine.
- Durable

* Cons - Zipper size is kind of small.
- Zipper seams stressed when loaded with gear.
-The zipper appears to be the overall weak spot on the bag though it never broke on me.

If you need a bag like this for throwing some cleats and some sports gear in to take back and forth to practice, it is adequate.

BLACKHAWK! CQB/Rigger's Belt - Black, Medium
BLACKHAWK! CQB/Rigger's Belt - Black, Medium
Offered by Gear 4 Less
Price: $32.22
43 used & new from $26.14

4.0 out of 5 stars Be Careful Now!, February 27, 2012
To be honest I was pretty disappointed in this belt....until I realized I bought the wrong item.

Pros:
*Looks TactiCOOL - I am a fairly hardcore firearm nerd. I love shooting as a sport and things that look tactical to me are sweet.
*It holds your pants up - The tension buckle works great and thus far I have never had it loosen on me.

Cons:
*Donning and doffing is kind of a pain. Its not the belt to wear when afflicted with diarrhea. Once it is on it doesnt budge but sometimes, depending on the pants, getting that big velcro tab through the loops is less than fun.
*Its starting to curl!! What the heck!? This thing is supposed to be the cat's pajamas at carrying gear whats wrong with this thing? Oh yeah I bought the wrong belt.

What I wanted was this BLACKHAWK! Black Instructor's Gun Belt

This is the one that is reinforced and meant to hold all the gear. I guess I have to use the Riggers belt just for lookin fancy :)

Summary:
This belt is still cool and I will still wear it, but the Instructors belt is the one that I will go to when its time to gear up. Either belt can be had from $25-$40 shipped at the time of this review. Take your pick for your needs. If you dont want/have to lug a gun around with you then the Riggers belt will do just fine.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 10, 2013 5:42 AM PDT

50 - 5/8" Economy Contoured Side Release Plastic Buckles
50 - 5/8" Economy Contoured Side Release Plastic Buckles
Offered by Checkin Buyin It
Price: $4.00
16 used & new from $1.49

1.0 out of 5 stars Purchase only if you want the item to fail, February 27, 2012
I purchased these buckles with the intent on making watchbands out of paracord. When I received the item I was immediately aware of exactly how cheap "economy" meant in the title of the listing. These babies are razor thin. I gave them a whirl anyway and sure enough, in less than a week, the buckle had already broke. The buckle broke during normal use. No extra stress was added. I would not expect to be making any dog collars or leashes with these things if I were you.
At the time of this review the item is $9.95 and Prime eligible which would be fair if they were paying you for the item.

TouchTec® Gen IV 7mm Capacitive iPad Stylus and Ball Point Pen for Apple iPad, iPhone, Droid - (Thin Twist) Black
2 used & new from $12.50

3.0 out of 5 stars Another Entry for the "Meh" Category, February 27, 2012
I received this pen/stylus and was mildly impressed with the packaging and box. It made me think I got a better item than I actually did. Since it is a pen and a stylus, I will review them separately.

Pen:
It writes smooth and maintained a steady line. The ink cartridge that came with the pen didnt last very long. I really think manufacturers use tiny cartridges in anticipation of consumers losing them. The twist open and close worked fine and I did not notice it closing on its own as I wrote. It stayed closed in my shirt pocket as well. The item is very skinny causing a bit of discomfort in long writing sessions like taking notes in meetings or class.

Stylus:
The stylus started out great. It was very sensitive and made some things on my tablet and phone easier to do. The more I used it the more I wore it out and it rapidly became more of a hindrance than helpful. It still functioned for simple things like launching apps and typing, but dragging and dropping became very frustrating.

Summary:
Everything about this pen/stylus is BLAH - I was wowed by the pictures associated with this listing and thought that this was the stylus for me. Its not. I ended up giving it to my boss. He is 6'9" and anything is better than his bear claws at operating his Kindle Fire. The price point on something like this should be $10 or less. At the time of this review it is $14.95 and Prime eligible.

Otterbox 08-2089 Defender Series Hybrid Case and Holster for Motorola Photon 4G MB855 - 1 Pack - Retail Packaging - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Does everything that it is supposed to do, February 27, 2012
The Defender series of Otterbox has been around for quite a while and it has saved more than one of my phones. I have had them for Apple products, Blackberry, and now for the Motorola Photon. This one does not disappoint.

Pros:
*As with every Defender series case I have ever owned, the item fits perfectly inside. As usual, the phone is sandwiched between two pieces of hard plastic with a plastic screen cover and then covered with a rubber outer shell. All of the ports match up perfectly including the charging and HDMI port. They even cut out a spot for the kickstand.
*It works. I am not real prone to dropping my phone but when I do, I sure am glad that I have this on there. It has kept nicks and dents out of my phone on at least two occasions. There is just a piece of mind that comes with the Otterbox Defender series that I have not had matched with any other case.
*I personally have not noticed any difference in screen sensitivity. I have a Zagg InvisibleSHIELD for Motorola Photon 4G, Screen (MOTPHO4S) on the phone as well
*It comes with a holster - I guess the holster is better than a bowl of lava if you want something to put your Otterbox encrusted phone in. More on that in the Cons.

Cons:
*Utilizing the headset jack with the Defender on can be problematic if the shielding around the plug is even somewhat large. Many of the aux cords that are being sold today have a very low profile and do not cause any problem. Some discount brands just will not work though with the case on.
*The holster is awful - because Apple refuses to put a kickstand on their phones, Otterbox thinks they have to fill the niche and have a clip that locks open so the holster can be used as a kickstand. (Im not sure if that is actual reasoning by the way.)Knowing this little snafu, I IMMEDIATELY filed off the catch that holds the clip open. Why is it a problem? Well if you sit down just so or bump against something it actually opens the clip and locks it there causing you to unintentionally test the Defenders capabilities. That is just for starters. The holster itself seems like it was designed to only be worn with a belt and here is why. If the holster is worn on gym shorts or something else with a loose fitting elastic waistband the holster WANTS to fall off. The weight of phones today in addition to the large case, cause the phone to pull away from the body. Unless something rigid is there (like a tightened belt) the phone starts to fall away. Like I said earlier, It might get you by in a pinch, but I just REALLY dislike the holster design and that is why I dropped it a star.
*The size of the phone once in the case - This isnt a disappointment because the Otterbox already has the rep of making phones bricks once inside but it is still a con of the case. Hey I knew that going in so I wouldnt take a star off for that.

Summary:
The case is incredibly durable and does exactly what I want it to do. At the time of this review this case is $33 and Prime eligible. I personally feel like that is a fair price for the case. If you can find it cheaper without the holster even better.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Whats not to like?, February 27, 2012
Of the three headsets I have owned, this is by far the best.

Pros:

*Yes this is a corded headset and yes it SUPPOSED to have a long cord. I can easily sit back anywhere in my gaming area and not worry about being "short leashed" by my headset.
*Both the in game sound and voice chat is clear.
*Volume control, bass level, and mute are close at hand with the in-line amplifier.
*Ear cups are comfortable FOR ME for extended periods of time.
*Lots of adjustment in the headband
*Includes many extras that may be necessary for your desired set up
*Super adjustable mic boom
Cons:

*Mic is CRAZY sensitive. If you game in a noisy environment be prepared for everyone on LIVE to hear your business. This isnt something that generally affects me though. Every once in a while a very polite 10 yr old will yell at me to move my mic further away from mouth because I am too loud and I happily oblige.
*Not a con for me but I will add it because it is true. This headset definitely seems like it was designed around an adult sized head. There is a lot of adjustment as I noted in the "Pros" but it does not get very small. I would hesitate getting this for a young adolescent unless he is shaped like Charlie Brown
* CURRENT price ($50+) is too much. I purchased this around the holidays and it was $40 shipped. I felt that was a fair price for a wired headset without surround sound.

Summary: This is a solid set of headphones. If you want something to engross you in the game without ticking off the people you live and without breaking your bank, just get em. I have had zero issues with MY headset.

Razer Onza tournament edition -Xbox 360
Razer Onza tournament edition -Xbox 360
7 used & new from $53.18

4.0 out of 5 stars Standard controller with some upgrades, February 26, 2012
As clutter free as wireless controllers are, I am tired of hunting down batteries and/or plug-in-play kits. Since I personally use a wired headset while gaming anyway, there is really no advantage to having a wireless controller.

Lets start with the wire. The wire for this controller is plenty long. 15' according to the spec sheet. Its a lightweight braided wire. I dont know how that matters at all but whatever. The point is, its long enough to sit on the couch, bed, or whatever the heck you sit on while gaming without feeling like you cant sit back and relax. I personally feel that if you are sitting far enough from your tv that this cord is not long enough, you just need to have a wireless controller.

The overall shape of this controller is darn near spot on the oem controllers. the shape is not really changed. The buttons vary significantly and here is how.

The overall feel is just better. The controller feels polished or tuned. Nothing feels mushy or questionable. There is a subtle click to each button push, without being distracting. They also light up (not very useful to most gamers but the girlfriend appreciates it when I tell her to push the "yellow one"). The extra bump buttons are...there. I dont know, I just dont find them handy to use. I have never been a fan of having two fingers on each hand riding the top of a controller. I mapped both "bonus" buttons to be their respective bump buttons so I could hit either one. The "start" and "back" buttons have been relocated to the bottom of the controller just above the headset jack. This move has not affected me whatsoever.

Joysticks and the "D" "PAD" - I put "PAD" in quotes because Razer fixed the one thing I have always HATED about the oem controller. Razer turned the DPAD into 4 buttons. This has made typing with the controller much much easier because the cursor acts more responsively. This literally might be my favorite feature of this controller. The joysticks are adjustable. There is a dial that is turned to adjust the amount of tension in each stick. Turning the dials is a little sketchy. I always feel like I am going to snap the top off the darn things. I enjoy the feature though. I personally have the left stick (generally the movement stick) loosened all the way and the right stick slightly tighter than it comes out of the box. Does it make me a better player? Probably not.

I think a lot of what makes me enjoy this controller is the cost. I did NOT pay $50 for this controller. I am not sure that I would pay that much even knowing how much I like it. I think $40 is fair, and any more than that you are paying for a name.

BLACKHAWK! Double Stack Double Mag Case (9 mm, 10mm, .40 Cal, and .45 Cal), Matte Finish
Price: $20.89
37 used & new from $20.89

5.0 out of 5 stars First BLACKHAWK purchase and wont be my last., February 26, 2012
I have used open top mag holsters/pouches since I began shooting many moons ago. For whatever reason, I had never tried a BLACKHAWK. Well folks its the real deal.

The plastic clip is adjustable to many different belt sizes and a standard duty belt will go through the belt loop slots. I have used this on a duty belt and for concealed carry. It has provided secure retention along with a quick draw.

The holster is slightly curved allowing you to index your finger along the front of the rear mag. It is a great design that functions perfectly.

The only caveat I have found with this item is the clip is made with very thin plastic. If it is over bent outwardly, it is not likely to return "home" as it should. To be honest, it doesn't really matter because of the built in belt loops but it may annoy some.

I am certain I will order more of this item, if not for myself, for others that need it.

Page: 1 | 2