Profile for allyatsea > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

allyatsea RSS Feed

Kindle Keyboard 3G, Free 3G + Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display - includes Special Offers & Sponsored Screensavers
17 used & new from $65.00

2.0 out of 5 stars Great device, shame about screen problem, April 24, 2013
I got this Kindle as a present almost 2 years ago and I have absolutely loved it ever since.
I was a tad dubious at first, as I've always loved books and was unsure whether I would enjoy the e-reader experience as much.
As it turns out I liked it even more, for a couple of practical reasons:

1. Size of the device. With books I often end up in the most bizarre hand positions in order to keep a thick book open and readable on the right page. The kindle is just the right size, the right weight, very pleasing to read and not awkward to hold at all.
2. Amount of books you can have on just one device. This is particularly useful when you go on holidays. I used to bring 3 or 4 books with me for each trip and it ends up being heavy and bulky in my bags. With the kindle I can bring as many books as I want with me and not worry about weight.

So in the last 2 years I have been reading more books than I used to before, which was quite a surprise. If I had reviewed the kindle anything up to a month ago I would have given it 5 stars. Now the problem is that there is one major flaw with the kindle, and that is the screen. If you read a few of the 1 star reviews on here you will discover a recurrent theme, the screen becomes illegible and "frozen" after a while. It appears to be a poor build issue. If this happens within the one year warranty, then you're lucky, you can ask for a replacement device. But if this problem happens after the one year, then you get screwed. Amazon will essentially play innocent, pretend that it's the first time they've ever heard of this problem (all done in a very polite way mind you - fair play to the tech support staff who have to endure this on a daily basis) and then give you a discount on a new device. The discount is ok... could be better though in fairness.

So sadly I have to give the Kindle 2 stars. I liked it so much previous to this mishap that it kinda breaks my heard though. And I am tempted to go for the Kindle Paperwhite now, just a bit paranoid that the screen on that one will do the same...

The Help
The Help

4.0 out of 5 stars Great story and beautifully written, February 21, 2012
This review is from: The Help (Kindle Edition)
What a little gem this book is! I got completely absorbed in the world of Jackson in the 60's and fell in love with the characters. And contrary to other e-books, there were no typos, spelling mistakes, formatting or editing problems. I would highly recommend this book, I loved it!

The Silence of Trees
The Silence of Trees
Price: $3.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Couldn't finish the book, February 21, 2012
The book starts very well but quickly becomes repetitive and a bit boring. I know the book is very cheap so I wasn't expecting something mind blowing, but I couldn't even finish this one...

Marie Curie (Giants of Science)
Marie Curie (Giants of Science)
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $5.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting bio, not particularly well written though, February 21, 2012
Marie Curie's life story is fascinating, nd I read this book very easily. However, I must say the writing was not particularly subtle or refined. I would still recommend the book.

The Hunger Games (Hunger Games Trilogy, Book 1)
The Hunger Games (Hunger Games Trilogy, Book 1)
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great story, February 21, 2012
I loved this book, it has a very catchy storyline and I couldn't stop reading. Don't hesitate to buy this!

Microserfs: A Novel
Microserfs: A Novel
Offered by HarperCollins Publishers
Price: $10.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Great book, shame kindle version wasn't proofread, February 21, 2012
I really loved the content of this book. I am a great fan of Douglas Coupland and was really looking forward to reading this book. As I have just acquired a kindle, I went for the e-version.
The problem is not the book, but the shocking lack of proofreading before this e-version was put on the market. There were formatting, editing, and blatant typos on almost every page, which made the read more of a frustration to me than anything else. What a huge disappointment!