Profile for Brooke Fontoura > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Brooke Fontoura "book nerd" RSS Feed (USA)

H: The Story of Heathcliff's Journey Back to Wuthering Heights
H: The Story of Heathcliff's Journey Back to Wuthering Heights
by Lin Haire-Sargeant
27 used & new from $2.25

2.0 out of 5 stars Are You Serious, Sargeant?!, July 14, 2008
I seriously do not even know where to start with this little number. "Wuthering Heights" is without a doubt my favourite novel of all time. There is no question. Therefore, I love to know anything and everything about the tale. So... I came upon this.

I WARN YOU WH FANS! This, if you are a lover of the story like me, will more than likely make you cry with its absurdity. Tampering with literature is horrible by itself (then again, I did begin this book knowing that the possibility of tampering was possible)... but the way in which Sargeant goes about it is horrendous.

Heathcliff is a mysterious character. One of the most mysterious of all British literature. "H" makes him out to be a pussy and nothing more. At times, you almost forget about his love for Cathy. How can that be if he and Cathy are one being?

When Sargeant lets the reader know of Heathcliff's origins (oh yes... she goes there!), I literally threw the book across the room. It was much too ridiculous! The ending made me step on the book more than once.

I'm giving it two stars because, alas, the writing was rather well done. If that's what you look for in a book, by all means...

Needless to say though, I am not recommending this book.

Wuthering Heights (Masterpiece Theatre)
Wuthering Heights (Masterpiece Theatre)
DVD ~ Peter Davison
20 used & new from $5.96

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Movie Adaptation I've Seen to Date, August 10, 2006
I'm the biggest "Wuthering Heights" fan I know (ask anyone who knows me, and they'll tell you I borderline annoying with the subject). Having money left over from my birthday, I decided "Hey, why not buy yet another Wuthering Heights DVD?". I was a little skeptical about how it would be, seeing as all the adaptations I've seen thus far haven't really taken the whole story into account. Of course, to do so would be a hard task for a movie. The story is complex and not a very average-movie-goer sort of plot. I was disappointed in the 1992 version with Juliette Binoche and Ralph Fiennes, although it's a good enough movie (as long as it didn't have Emily Bronte's Wuthering Heights as the title...). Other versions were all right, and although the 1939 version didn't showcase the second generation of the story, I found it better than '92.

Needless to say, when I popped in the DVD, I was hooked by the first five minutes. Sure, the movie isn't EXACTLY like the story (I want you to show me a movie that is. And, as I said, this story is complex for the movies). Some of the things that are different/changed/added/etc., are the fact that, once again (as in many of the movie adaptations) Nelly is old from the start. Also, Heathcliff and Cathy are older than when most of the scenes in the story take place (such as when they visit the Lintons). Most "Wuthering Heights" fanatics know that Heathcliff and Cathy never consemate their relationship. However, there's many a kiss in the movie.

There are some other details of the movie that are different than the story, but I, a crazy "Wuthering Heights" and Bronte admirer, give this movie a bravo and would recommend to any other fan.