Profile for James William Holmes > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 7

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

James William Holmes RSS Feed (Louisville, KY)

My Bright Abyss: Meditation of a Modern Believer
My Bright Abyss: Meditation of a Modern Believer
by Christian Wiman
Price: $17.67
80 used & new from $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Destined to become a classic, October 13, 2013
Inspiring yet sobering, probing yet comforting. Beautifully written by one who has been on a journey that few make with such an awareness of where they are and how they got there. Worthy of reading again. I have it on Kindle but it deserves a place on my shelf.

Speaking of Dying: Recovering the Church's Voice in the Face of Death
Speaking of Dying: Recovering the Church's Voice in the Face of Death
by Fred B. Craddock
Price: $17.31
62 used & new from $4.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent discussion but...., March 10, 2013
...not as pastoral as I would like to see. I have the greatest respect for Craddock. I know little about the Goldsmiths.I cannot get a sense that the authors have spent a lot of time with dying people. I agree with much of the authors say but, I see theological correctness trumping pastoral care of the dying in this book.I doubt that was the intent of the authors.
After 37 years as a physician (neurologist) and now four years as an ordained pastor and hospital chaplain, I have been with dying people and their families countless times. Much of what is written would not fly at the bedside. The mindset of the dying person as well as their families is a mile away from Craddock and Goldsmith. The problem is that most people hear little that is solid from the pulpit or in a church Bible study. Little wonder that the pop theology or religion books become best sellers. They are filling a void in the church (For example: Proof of Heaven by Eben Alexander). So, yes, the church does need to recover its voice but the voice needs to speak loud enough to be heard and in a place where everyday people gather.

With respect to the medicalization of dying: some of the remarks I find both offensive and lacking in understanding of what goes on in the halls of medicine. Allen Verhey has said clearly all that needs to be said about the subject. Nearly everything I read these days about death and dying has a comment, usually poorly informed. The realities of the day to day practice of medicine are such that doctors live with ambiguity, uncertainty, and simply not knowing what is "best."

Kindle Fire (Previous Generation - 1st)
Kindle Fire (Previous Generation - 1st)
260 used & new from $49.95

1.0 out of 5 stars "Freezes", December 16, 2012
I purchased my Kindle Fire in September of 2011. It is nearly useless now as it freezes up three to four times per day. I have followed instructions to return to default settings and restore all my purchases. The problem is the same. I was offered a replacement for half price. No thanks. And what assurance do I have the new models will not be the same at 300-400 dollars. Look at other options or stay with books and my MAC.

This Fragile Life: A Mother's Story of a Bipolar Son
This Fragile Life: A Mother's Story of a Bipolar Son
by Charlotte Pierce-Baker
Price: $15.72
59 used & new from $8.94

5.0 out of 5 stars A Story of Courage and Love, June 29, 2012
I must admit that I have a bias as I write for I know the author, and I have known her husband for half a century. I already held both in high esteem. As I read This Fragile Life, my love and respect grew. Charlotte Pierce-Baker pours out her deepest feelings as she reveals the story of her struggle to come to grips with bipolar disorder in her son. After reading it, I sent copies to several families with bipolar members. The response was overwhelmingly positive, offering words of praise and thanks that someone understood what they had experienced. This is a "must read" for anyone who knows anyone with bipolarity (that will be just about all of us) or does therapy with the families.

Kindle Fire anti-glare Screen Protector
Kindle Fire anti-glare Screen Protector

1.0 out of 5 stars Nearly worthless..., December 4, 2011
The package said it comes with applicator which was not included. Could never get the "bubbles" out. File 13. I hope there is a better product somewhere.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 6, 2011 9:52 PM PST

Jesus Christ and the Life of the Mind
Jesus Christ and the Life of the Mind
by Mark A. Noll
Price: $16.89
53 used & new from $8.65

4.0 out of 5 stars A "need to read" for the very conservative evangelical, August 29, 2011
If you have already escaped the grip of those who have all the answers without the help of the thinkers, researchers, and writers that fill many bookshelves, this book will be old stuff most of the time. Most who read much will find it to be a well written quick review.

Mark Noll correctly identifies the anti-intellectualism that seems to be prevalent in very conservative circles. Those who need to read this book will never look at it. The title will repel them.

Multiple Intelligences in the Classroom
Multiple Intelligences in the Classroom
by Thomas Armstrong
Price: $18.80
71 used & new from $12.94

5.0 out of 5 stars A MUST Read, March 3, 2010
Everyone who does teach or plans to teach ANYTHING should read this book. Our education system often recognizes only a few intelligences. IQ is unjustly assigned at times. We are doing a lot of harm when we teach in only one way that is usually geared to linguistic intelligence.