Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Prime Music Sweepstakes egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty Deals Gifts for Her Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer cm15 cm15 cm15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $30 Off Fire HD 6 Kindle Cyber Monday Deals Cyber Monday Video Game Deals Shop Now DOTD
Profile for Matina's Bookcase > Reviews

Matina's Bookcase's Profile

Customer Reviews: 102

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Matina's Bookcase RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11
Beastly Bones: A Jackaby Novel
Beastly Bones: A Jackaby Novel
by William Ritter
Price: $12.10
80 used & new from $7.91

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Sequel, November 29, 2015
Jackaby was easily one of my favorite books from last year, and Beastly Bones is no different. This book has the same fun and mysterious atmosphere as the last one with strange happenings and humorous conversations between Jackaby and just about everyone else.

Picking up after the first book we rejoin Abigail and Jackaby in the middle of a strange encounter. They've been called to take care of a woman's cat- which has surprisingly turned into a fish. They are then called out to a dig site where a dinosaur has been found alongside a murder. Jackaby and Abigail begin an investigation that will not only reveal clues as to the murder, but will uncover a deeper mystery they never expected.

I can't say enough how much I love William Ritter's characters. Jackaby and Abigail, they compliment each other so well. Jackaby's eccentric, yet caring personality and habit of missing the obvious plays well off of Abigail's snappy wit and sharp mind. Ritter's other characters get a chance to shine again as each one from the last book shows back up, Jenny being my favorite of the previous characters. He also introduces a cast of new characters including a very interesting tracker, two fighting archeologists, and a reporter that just wont quit.

The story is well paced, funny, and filled with growth. The mystery kept me guessing until the end, when I went 'duh!' why didn't I catch on quicker?! Something that I love about this book is how William Ritter wastes nothing. Not a single event or character is unconnected in his books, and I feel like he's building in each book up to a stunning conclusion where everything will come to a finale that will blow my mind.

Beastly Bones keeps far away from the second book slump as it presses the danger further, pushes its characters harder, and builds up a mystery that will drive fans to keep on reading late into the night.

This Ordinary Life
This Ordinary Life
Price: $5.38

5.0 out of 5 stars “Sometimes hope is the most extraordinary gift of all”, October 11, 2015
“Sometimes hope is the most extraordinary gift of all”

Let me start off by saying This Ordinary Life was amazing. It’s got everything, romance, high school, radio, cute boys, epilepsy, broken families, and hope and ties them together in a way that will resonate with every reader.

Jasmine’s dream is to become a radio host, and her only road to that dream is the WYN60 internship. When she misses her school trip to visit the station and make a great impression she’s afraid she’s lost her chance. Her reason for missing the trip? Her brother Danny has had a seizure. At the hospital she meets a young man named Wes. As Jasmine struggles to reconcile with her alcoholic mother, deal with her break up, cope with worry over her brother, and navigate her way into an internship Wes stays by her side, showing her what it is to hope again.

I cannot express how much I loved the story in this book, always well paced and never boring I couldn’t put it down. Jasmine’s journey through the book is a rocky one that tells the story of a girl who’s trying to keep everything together. All of her relationships were challenged and changed. The book’s overall tone of hope and the idea that things can get better was amazing. Jennifer Walkup did a great job balancing the serious issues of alcoholism and epilepsy with the lighter tone of the book.

The characters were also wonderful. From Jasmine to Wes and their friends and families I felt like each character was their own person who I’d love to meet.

My recommendation for this book is to buy it, no matter who you are. This Ordinary Life will show you that bad situations can get better and that hope is the most powerful thing you can have.

The Scam: A Fox and O'Hare Novel
The Scam: A Fox and O'Hare Novel
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars If you haven't found yourself comparing the Fox and O'hare series to Oceans 11 yet, you will now, October 11, 2015
In this exciting fourth installment in Janet Evanovich and Lee Goldberg's series Nick Fox and Kate O'hare delve deep into Las Vegas and the world of gambling, and if you haven't found yourself comparing the Fox and O'hare series to Oceans 11 yet, you will now.

This time the stakes are higher, the plan is riskier, and the action is crazier than before as Nick and Kate pull their crew together. Along the way they find themselves being challenged to work closer together while still trying to resist the fiery spark that has connected them for so long.

I can't help but love this series. Its funny, it's filled with great con's, and it keeps me on my toes the whole way through. This time I got all that and more. The plan kept changing, while the story was filled with more and more twists, and Kate and Nick's relationship really started to take a step in the right direction in this book.

As always I loved the crew. Boyd is and will always be my favorite of the people they bring in. I feel like in this book there was some character development with a few of the crew members, which made me smile. The story was good, and the con well planned. And just when you think everything is wrapped up, Evanovich and Goldberg throw another twist in that will leave readers desperate for the fifth novel.

I loved The Scam. It's a solid entry in the Fox and O'hare series and I cannot wait until the next book comes out.

Note: I received a copy of this from Netgalley in exchange for my fair and honest opinion which I have stated above.

the dragon of the month club (Volume 1)
the dragon of the month club (Volume 1)
by Iain Reading
Price: $9.99
19 used & new from $7.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Dragons Dragons Everywhere, October 11, 2015
First of all can I say that this book is absolutely brilliant. It's rare that I find a book that not only references, but mashes together so many different books/stories/genre's in such a good way. The different stories and characters that are represented in this book are not only fun to read, but will help inspire young readers to look into some of the stories they heard about and read them on their own.

Dragon of the Month Club is so much more than a book about dragons. It's got fairy tales, Dune, Sherlock Holmes, and of course Dragons. We are introduced to Ayana and Tyler two friends who are as ordinary as you and me. One day they come upon a magical book that allows them to summon a new dragon every month. Ayana and Tyler begin collecting all the dragons they can, and one day when they are summoning a particularly complicated dragon something goes wrong and the two friends are sent on an adventure of epic proportions. Pulled into the world of books they must use all of their smarts, skills, and dragons to help them find their way back home.

The vast array of different dragons represented in this book is amazing. They are so creative, adorable, and individual I couldn't believe it at first. I am so glad they played such a big role in this book. I also (as I've stated) loved all the different book worlds that Ayana and Tyler explored. All were well written and each one, whether I've read the books or not, made me want to go back and explore each of the stories represented.

The book is well plotted, with enough twists and turns to keep readers turning pages late into the night. Every time you think that things have calmed down or gotten easy for the kids something else turns up to challenge them and push them to the limits. By the time I was at the end of the book I couldn't be pulled away for anything. And when I finished it I wanted the sequel right away.

Dragon of the Month Club will make you laugh, and it will drive you to want to expand your boundaries with what you've read. It will make you wish for a wishing tree, and leave you searching your bookshelves for an unmarked book in hopes that you too will get to join the Dragon of the Month Club.

Note: I received an electronic copy of this book from the author in exchange for my fair and honest opinion which I have stated above.

The Tell-Tale Start (The Misadventures of Edgar & Allan Poe)
The Tell-Tale Start (The Misadventures of Edgar & Allan Poe)
Offered by Penguin Group (USA) LLC
Price: $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful, September 5, 2015
Meet Edgar and Allen Poe. That’s right I said Edgar and Allen. They are the great-great-great-great-grandnephews of Edgar Allen Poe. The Poe twins are a delightful pair who use their genius brains to get their fellow students out of tests, get back at bullies, and generally teach the world about their great-great-great-great-granduncle. The Poe twins also seem to be so connected that they’re almost one person. Or is it two people with one mind? You’ll have to ask them for clarification on that one.

The story follows both Edgar and Allen as they are kicked out of school (for a crime they didn’t commit) and their subsequent adventure to save their cat, Roderick Usher from the vile clutches of a mad scientist who may or may not have more to do with the Poe twins than they first realize.

Their quest to save Roderick Usher is helped along by none other than Edgar Allen Poe himself. Looking down on his beloved great-nephews he does everything he can to help them, even if it means breaking the rules and gaining him the ire of his boss, who is a surprising person himself.

I loved the characters in this book, and not just the amazing Edgar and Allen. Their Aunt and Uncle are amazing, I love the fact that they played a real role in the adventure not only helping the kids along but also by always being on their side. They shine as more than just the typical zoned out adult figures. Roderick Usher is another character that surprised me. For a cat he plays a very large role in the story. Edgar Allen Poe is hilarious and endearing in his many attempts to help his grand-nephews, and the other characters are all fun to read as well.

I listened to this book on audio and found it fun and upbeat. The narrator is Arte Johnson and he does a great job of creating individual voices for each character and bringing the story to life.

Filled with literary trivia that any reader will enjoy, wild antics (dark and spooky rainstorms don’t belong in bookstores right?), and two very funny twins Edgar and Allen’s adventure is perfect for tweens who love a bit of mischief, mystery, and fun in their books. This series is great for fans of The Series of Unfortunate Events, Escape from Mr. Lemoncello's Library, Alcatraz vs. the Evil Librarians, and The Last Dragonslayer.

This review and more can be found on

Fintie Microsoft Surface 3 Case - Premium PU Leather Folio Stand Cover with Stylus Holder for Microsoft Surface 3 10.8-Inch Windows Tablet (Not Fit Surface Pro 3 12-Inch), Blue
Offered by Fintie
Price: $12.99
3 used & new from $6.86

3.0 out of 5 stars Good case, September 5, 2015

I love the color. I chose the bright blue case and it is a pleasing robin's egg blue that I enjoy using. I also like the feel of the case. It doesn't add too much weight to the Surface. The leather is comfortable to hold for long periods of time and the inside of the case is soft.

It fits my surface nicely and the Velcro on the inside holds it snug without worry of it falling out.

I really like the stylus holder. I can easily slip my stylus in and out of it without worry and not loose track of where I put it.

The elastic strap that's attached to it helps to keep the case shut properly.

This case doesn't allow me to use the kickstand that is part of my Surface and secondly I don't really like the way the case becomes a stand, it easily falls out of the tab in the back and collapses on itself, which means I'm always re-adjusting it. This kind of stand works well for my Kindle because it's a lighter device, and I feel like the Surface's weight is what's causing the case/stand to fall out.

The cover magnetizes closed, but the magnets aren't strong enough to hold the case shut without the use of the elastic strap provided. Without it the cover comes open very easily.

This is a good case for the price. It's well made, covers your device, leaves room for a keyboard, has all the right holes for switches (with enough room to easily press them), the color's are great, and its fairly sturdy. I haven't dropped my Surface so I can't say how well it protects from a drop, but with all the padding it will probably do a good job.

If you're looking for a cute cheap case that will both protect your device and add some style I'd recommend this case, there are a few downsides to it, but they are easily overlooked.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 8, 2015 9:12 AM PDT

To All the Boys I've Loved Before
To All the Boys I've Loved Before
by Jenny Han
Price: $10.16
108 used & new from $2.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun, Funny, and Poignant, September 5, 2015
When my sister recommends a book I almost always pick it up. She reads so rarely and finishes so few books that when she’d told me she finished To all the Boys I’ve Loved Before in just a few sittings I knew I had to read it.

The story focuses around Laura Jean the middle child of a Korean/American family. Laura Jean has fallen in love many times, and each time she writes a letter to the boy she’s loved. In this letter she pours out all of her emotions and says everything she couldn’t tell the boy to his face. These letters are addressed and tucked away in a hatbox she received from her mother.

Her older sister Margot has always taken care of the family, and in the wake of her going off to college that duty falls on Laura Jean. Laura Jean is just keeping her head above water balancing school and her family when the unthinkable happens: her hatbox goes missing and the letters are mailed off. All of a sudden her life is turned upside down, and she finds herself fake-dating one of the boys who got her letter in order to make another one jealous. The catch? The one Laura Jean is trying to make jealous is also her sister’s ex.

I could not put this book down once I started reading it. It took me a moment to get use to Jenny Han’s distinctive writing style but once I did I had no problem blasting through the book. Laura Jean is easy to relate to, her desire to take care of her family while also keep her social life alive in high school is a struggle many face. Even as an older sister, I found myself relating to Laura Jean a lot more than Margot. Her personality struck home with me and I felt like it was me trying desperately to gain the attention of the boy I’d admired for ever.

Laura Jean’s letters were what really touched me. I loved how she poured everything out in them, something I’ve often wished I could do myself. Her fear of actually finding someone to reciprocate her feelings and her desire to be the best example for her younger sister (and fill her older sister’s shoes) struck me as something that I would have done/felt, and have.

I also especially loved the focus on family in this book. More than a romance, To All the Boy’s I’ve Loved Before teaches readers that sisterhood and family are unbreakable. Laura Jean and Margot’s relationship is rocked and tested and I couldn’t help but reflect on my own relationship with my sister.

Funny, gripping, and poignant To All the Boy’s I’ve Loved Before is a story that will take readers on an adventure to find love, family, and themselves.

Wytchfire (The Dragonkin Trilogy) (Volume 1)
Wytchfire (The Dragonkin Trilogy) (Volume 1)
by Michael Meyerhofer
Price: $16.99
6 used & new from $10.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Read!, August 26, 2015
t's hard to summarize two books at once, especially books as wonderful as these two, but I will try. The Dragonkin trilogy is perfect for those waiting on the next George R.R. Martin book, and fans of fantasy in general.

Filled with legends of the Arthernian variety in an expansive world that one could easily get lost in these two books are a wonderful adventure into the fantasy genre. Despite the wide expanse the world the plot is tight and keeps readers moving along easily. There were many moments I found myself on the edge of my seat unable to wait to find out what happened next.

I really enjoyed the characters as well from the hero, Rowen, to The Evil Overlord, Fadarah, of the Shel'ai. Each one of them were fully developed and I cannot wait to see more of them in the last book of the series. While this series is high fantasy, it is also so much more than the typical fantasy. Meyerhofer did an amazing job putting his own twist on the book from the social issues that he focuses on to the little details of the world such as the culture, history, customs and lore that are dotted through the books.

Overall the Dragonkin trilogy is turning out to be an amazing ride, and I'd recommend it to anyone interested in a good fantasy.

The Girl at Midnight
The Girl at Midnight
by Melissa Grey
Price: $12.08
96 used & new from $4.32

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok YA Fantasy, August 26, 2015
This review is from: The Girl at Midnight (Hardcover)
Meet Echo, a quick witted thief who's been taken in by the Ala, one of feathered Avicen race. Part bird and part human the Avicen have been at war with the Drakharin (who are part dragon) for centuries.When the war seeps into Echo's life she's sent on a mission to find the Firebird, the legendary creature that's said to have the power to bring either peace or destruction to those who wield it.

Fun, funny, and fast paced the Girl at Midnight should have easily been one of my favorite books this year. Unfortunately it had a few pitfalls that made it fall flat and loose steam.

The world Melissa Grey has created is a beautiful one, both the Avicen and the Drakharins easily come to life on the page. The lore and history she's woven into the story creates a sense of realism leaving me wishing that it was all real so I could experience the wonder of it all.

After being sent on her quest, Echo quickly crosses paths with the Dragon Prince Caius who is also looking for the Firebird. The two find themselves thrown together in an unconventional way and are soon joined by an ex-royal guard, an apprentice healer and a career scoundrel. The group then follows a trail of clues to what they hope is the Firebird. The story is well plotted and only seems to fall stagnant a few times, but the ending left me crying 'treason!' The 'twist' felt predictable and I had been holding out hope against it.

The characters were wonderful to get to know, Caius, Echo, and Jasper are tied for my favorite with each one being so much fun to read. My big issue with this book revolved around the romantic relationships. More than one felt forced and I was really bothered by the fact that Echo jumps ship so quickly. The twist at the end didn't help my opinion on the relationships either, in fact it segmented my dislike for how they worked.

The unrealistic relationships and the flat twist left me disappointed, but the story itself was good. I'd give The Girl at Midnight 3 1/2 stars. It was good, but I probably won't be reading it again. If you like Cassandra Clare and Laini Taylor and are looking for something similar this book is it. It has the same feel and is enjoyable for a YA audience.

Wicked Charms (Lizzy & Diesel)
Wicked Charms (Lizzy & Diesel)
by Phoef Sutton
Price: $17.62
198 used & new from $1.88

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun Addition, July 29, 2015
Wicked Charms is the third installment in the fabulous and fun Lizzie and Diesel series. It's light, funny, and the perfect read for those looking for a good time.

It picks up on Lizzy and Diesel's continued search for the saligia stones, this time focusing on the Stone of Avarice. All your favorite characters are back in this book, including the introduction of some new ones ranging from Clara's grandfather to a new unmentionable who can talk to dead people...kind of.

Wicked Charms is just as funny and outrageous as the last one with kidnappings, treasure hunting, and another fabulously failed spell by Glo. Clara and Glo play a bigger part in this book than they have in the past few and I was glad to see some of the new characters really shining as well. Lizzy's relationship with Diesel heats up in this book as well, though I'm still looking for more of a relationship between the two of them than what we've seen so far, but there's still plenty of stones left to find.
Overall Wicked Charms was a wonderful addition to this series. It's great for anyone needing a light book to relax to and good for those needing a laugh. I can't wait for the next one in the series.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11