Profile for Mary P. > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mary P. RSS Feed

My Viet: Vietnamese American Literature in English, 1962-present
My Viet: Vietnamese American Literature in English, 1962-present
by Michele Janette
Price: $22.50
24 used & new from $16.50

1.0 out of 5 stars Clarification on Content, April 15, 2012
When I read the description of the text, I thought that it would also be accompanied by some critical essays, but this is just a reader. Basically, the only analysis we get is really just a typography of Vietnamese American literature in the "Introduction" which explains the different genres and evolution of Vietnamese American literature (which can be found somewhere else because it has been printed in an academic journal) and the rest of the text just has a little biography of each author and then, excerpts of their text. I am disappointed that the University of Hawai'i Press would even publish this. It seems like it was just published because the editor needed to add another publication credit to her CV.

The Surprising Purpose of Anger: Beyond Anger Management: Finding the Gift (Nonviolent Communication Guides)
by Marshall B. Rosenberg
Price: $8.95
100 used & new from $2.35

5.0 out of 5 stars Don't Be Fooled By Its Briefness, December 18, 2010
Don't be fooled by the briefness of this booklet. When I first opened the packet and found this thin book, I was worried. How can 38 pages resolve the anger issues that I have been experiencing for over three decades? I'm not going to lie; it can't perform any miracles. It's going to take time for me to work on my anger issues, but the advice that was given, in four steps, are very practical, useful, and easy to apply. While I was reading it, I caught myself trying to justify my anger or come up with exceptional examples. "Yeah, that might be true, but it doesn't apply when it comes to racism." Well, guess what? There's actually an example in the book on racism and Rosenberg's explanation makes sense to me. I highly recommend this book to anyone who is overwhelmed with anger (like me) or who is going into the profession of helping others deal with anger issues.

Cambodian American Experiences: Histories, Communities, Cultures and Identities
Cambodian American Experiences: Histories, Communities, Cultures and Identities
by Jonathan H. X. Lee
Edition: Misc. Supplies
Price: $61.75
10 used & new from $42.97

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must Read for Cambodian American and Southeast Asian Scholars, November 26, 2010
This textbook is a must read for Cambodian American and Southeast Asian scholars, students, and the general public. Accompanied with a workbook, it's critical, thought-provoking, and tender. It challenges previous (mis)conceptions of Cambodian Americans as hopeless victims of the Khmer Rouge and proposes a hopeful, beautiful reading of a resilient people who have often been misunderstood by mainstream American society. Several chapters are poetic, personal, and penetrating! It's also the only book in the market that has a compilation of 20 Cambodian American scholars.