Profile for rodney > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 116

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

rodney "christmas man" RSS Feed (Ottawa, Ontario, Canada)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12
Christmas Around the World With Perry Como
Christmas Around the World With Perry Como
Offered by Titan of Toys
Price: $5.99
12 used & new from $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Like Another Perry Como Christmas Album - Wonderful!, December 14, 2013
Christmas music and Perry Como, could there be any music better?

This cd of Christmas music from Perry Como's TV specials is like another Perry Como Christmas album. Very nice, studio sound and great songs to boot. There are even some songs that I don't believe he recorded on any of his actual Christmas albums such as O Christmas Tree.

Perry is backed up by an orchestra and chorus throughout and some speciasl guests make appearances.

If you like the crooner sound of Perry Como and like his other Christmas recordings, then you should like this as well. And it's just nice to have some different and rare Perry Como Christmas music. I hope they make another cd of Perry's Christmas music from his TV shows (and they could do this with other performers as well).

100% recommended for a "true" Christmas sound!

Perry Como's Christmas Show
Perry Como's Christmas Show
DVD ~ Perry Como
Price: $9.91
24 used & new from $9.22

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! A Perfect Christmas Show For The Holidays, November 26, 2013
This review is from: Perry Como's Christmas Show (DVD)
I must say, this DVD of a 1974 Christmas show was spectacular. If you're a fan of the Christmas TV specials of the 1960's and 1970's, then this should be something you would like.

As great or greater as any Bing Crosby or Andy Williams Christmas special, Perry Como really brings a nice Christmas atmosphere in this show with many great songs such as "Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas" and "Toyland." The scenery in which he performs these classics and so many others is complete "Christmas nostalgia" in every way.

It's also a treat to have "Perry" sing some songs I don't think he ever sang on any of his own Christmas recordings. Here he sings the first part of "The Christmas Waltz" and there are also a couple of other Christmas songs I wasn't familiar with and so this was all an extra special treat.

The guests such as "The Carpenters" add an extra special touch.

Definite essential viewing for the Christmas season I would say. Could even put it on for some background entertainment when guests are over during the Christmas season.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 3, 2014 1:45 PM PST

Here We Come A-Caroling
Here We Come A-Caroling
Price: $10.91
21 used & new from $5.96

5.0 out of 5 stars A Most Awesome Nostalgic Styled Chorus Christmas CD, November 26, 2013
This review is from: Here We Come A-Caroling (Audio CD)
This cd by "The Christmas Singers" is a wonderful and nostalgic blast from start to end. This may be the Christmas cd I have put on the most so far this year. If you like the "Ray Conniff Singers" and the "Living Voices," chances are you will really like this cd, too.

The singers in this recording sound as good as any group of singers from back in the day (1950's and 1960's) and aside from some modern production sound in the music (and luckily, this isn't always the case but even when it is, it's not really bad either), this really sounds like a Christmas recording from many decades ago (that is definitely the style here).

And to boot, the song selection is just perfect, from some religious to start and secular to end, songs such as "(There's No Place Like) Home For The Holidays" and "It's Beginning To Look A Lot Like Christmas" are wonderful examples that they really do make Christmas music like they used to. Not a weak song anywhere, can play from start to end anytime and all the time.

My highest recommendation!

My Kind of Christmas
My Kind of Christmas
Price: $14.88
11 used & new from $8.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Elvis & Eddy Arnold Christmas Inspired CD, November 20, 2012
This review is from: My Kind of Christmas (Audio CD)
For fans of the old country-ish christmas sound, specifically if you like the christmas music of Elvis and Eddy Arnold, then this is something you might really like.... and a lot as I do!

Make no mistake, this is Mel Gibson, the singer, not the actor despite the same name and same facial look. And what a voice he has. I now there are a lot of Elvis fans out there and this would be a nice alternative to the actual Elvis christmas music that is often played at christmas. It's always nice to have something familiar but fresh at the same time and this most surely fills the bill.

The music is one that is similar to the music that backed up Elvis and Eddy Arnold but Mel's voice definitely sounds more like Elvis. Still, Mel is definitely his own man, not simply a tribute artist, and I would highly hope you will give him a chance.

While every song is great, a wonderful cd to play from beginning to end, I must highlight one track that is just so great... CHRISTMAS OF LONG AGO. It tells about many things of christmas past yet still (at least sometime) exist today. It really gives a very nostalgic feeling throughout. Easily my favorite song on the cd despite how great every song is.

And while this would make a great gift for the Elvis fan, it's not a cd I would limit to the Elvis or even Eddy Arnold fan. Try the sound samples for the MP3 release and see what you think. You really might like it. Would also make for some nice background christmas music during the christmas season when entertaining guests at your home. Could even get a bit of conversation going as to who is performing due to the Elvis influence. Definitely should entertain.

My 100% recommendation.

Home for the Holidays
Home for the Holidays
Price: $9.00
39 used & new from $0.54

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Orchestra/Vocal Christmas CD, November 5, 2012
This review is from: Home for the Holidays (Audio CD)
This is the first Andre Rieu christmas cd I have ever bought. Am I ever glad I did. This is fantastic from start to end pretty much and the only real track that didn't do anything "christmasy" for me was DECEMBER LIGHTS as it being an instrumental track and a new, unfamiliar song for me, I just couldn't identify it as a christmas song as there seemed to be no christmas sounds like sleigh bells and the such. Still, not a bad song either, some very nice strings involved, and I would think most will still like it. But every other song was fabulous, such as the version of WHITE CHRISTMAS which seemed to kinda borrow the arrangement of Arthur Fiedler And The Boston Pops 1959 version of the song but there are very noticeable differences making it uniquely Andre Rieu's take of the song. GO TELL IT ON THE MOUNTAIN was also a standout track for me and is easily my favorite version of the song ever recorded as it combines a very unique and cheerful/uplifting take of the song.

THE CHRISTMAS SONG (CHESTNUTS ROASTING ON AN OPEN FIRE)and SILVER BELLS both have a very lush instrumental arrangement to them that I really enjoyed, very nice strings. GOD REST YOU MERRY GENTLEMEN also stood out and really, the whole cd is a great testament as to why Andre Rieu and his orchestra may be the #1 orchestra out there today and we can't forget his group of singers who are also at the top of the crop of vocalists.

Andre Rieu is a man who wants to give the best, classiest music with every performance and he succeeds very highly with this christmas recording of 2012. For those that are interested, there is also a DVD out on this cd (but with many more songs than the cd) which also receives a 5 star rating by multiple reviewers and I will be adding that to my collection very soon with a review to follow.

I'm not sure I will be buying any other Andre Rieu christmas cd's from the past as the song selection isn't anything like this one (as this cd contains mostly familiar and tried but very true christmas songs) but having enjoyed this cd so much, I just may have to give others a chance.

My 100% recommendation.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 28, 2012 9:10 AM PST

Winter Wonderland
Winter Wonderland
Price: $10.00
32 used & new from $1.31

5.0 out of 5 stars Masterpiece Of The Old Christmas Country Sound, November 1, 2012
This review is from: Winter Wonderland (Audio CD)
One big simple word for this christmas offering from a couple of years back.... Wow!

Mandy Barnett, in the liner notes, mentioned how she wanted to bring back that old Nashville country christmas sound to a new christmas recording in modern day and let me tell you, she has done that to 100% perfection from my listening.

The sound here is that of old country music mixed with some easy listening/crooner/string section of an orchestra coupled with a backing chorus and all led by Mandy's "pure" voice that brings back memories of the vocal country queens of so long ago, the result is often endless playing in my cd player come the holidays (in fact, it's the first cd in my cd player in this 2012 christmas season which personally, begins today, november 1st).

Every song is a standout, honestly, very hard to pick favorite tracks which such a great song list and all songs played so great. I mean, I can take A HOLLY JOLLY CHRISTMAS which makes good use of the backing chorus to Mandy's amazing lead vocals, or I can take the soothing sound of I'LL BE HOME FOR CHRISTMAS which kinda goes more towards the crooner sound of Perry Como or Frank Sinatra as it has many violins throughout. Then again, I may choose THIS TIME OF THE YEAR with it's laid back and full of emotion style, or I can take the upbeat (THERE'S NO PLACE LIKE HOME) FOR THE HOLIDAYS or MARSHMALLOW WORLD as they move along really nice and cheerful, something that says "christmas" when you listen to them.

This is easily one of my favorite christmas cd's of all-time and I just wish I woudl have reviewed this earlier as I'm not sure why I didn't as I've had it for a little while now. In any case, as you would have probably guessed, it receives my 100% fullest recommendation.

The David Rose Christmas Album
The David Rose Christmas Album
Price: $13.43
22 used & new from $7.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Huge Five Stars For This Classic Christmas Album, August 22, 2012
This late 1960's christmas album by DAVID ROSE is one that if you like the orchestra instrumental christmas albums from the 1950's and 1960's, then this should be completely for you. It certainly is for me.

Throughout this amazing album, you get songs done in a similar fashion as to Andre Kostelanetz and Percy Faith. If you like those two orchestra leaders, then songs like THE CHRISTMAS WALTZ and CAROL OF THE BELLS will remind you of those other two great baton masters. As will every other song on this fabulous cd. In fact, THE CHRISTMAS WALTZ is a contender for the best version of the song out there as is....

....TOYLAND which is just soothing in a very deep and emotional version unlike any version of the song I have ever heard. Very similar to the style of JACKIE GLEASON on his 1956 christmas album, MERRY CHRISTMAS.

Another song to highlight is THE CHRISTMAS TREE which was a new song for me but let me tell you, I'm usually not a fan of new christmas songs on instrumental albums as it's often hard to get a christmas atmosphere out of it sinc eit's just unfamiliar, however, this is an exception as the mood is most definitely christmas and the often heard bells really help create the holiday mood.

Really, I could highlight all the songs on this cd as they are just so awesome and this includes all the medleys which are in the religious nature. DAVID ROSE really knew how to capture the mood of the song, whether it be secular or religious, and I have to give this my 100% full recommendation despite it being under a half hour. Just listen to it for enjoyment and I'm sure you will do just that, enjoy it!

Christmas With Ed Ames/Christmas Is the Warmest Time of the Year
Christmas With Ed Ames/Christmas Is the Warmest Time of the Year
Price: $11.99
20 used & new from $7.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Great "Vocal" Christmas Albums From Decades Ago, August 22, 2012
These two christmas albums by ED AMES are wonderful takes of mostly religious christmas songs. Backed by an orchestra and chorus, this twofer cd gives a nice christmas sound to set the mood for the holidays. I especially like the first album (or the first 12 tracks) the most as it has a bit older of a sound, more traditional sounding like something similar to the JOHNNY MATHIS or ANDY WILLIAMS christmas albums, but all the songs are great and I highly recommend this cd by a great all-time vocalist.

Songs Of December
Songs Of December
Price: $14.51
61 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Potentially The Greatest Christmas CD In Years! Very Vintage Sounding!, November 18, 2011
This review is from: Songs Of December (Audio CD)
I gotta tell you and agree with the other reviewer who said Amazon needs to promote this cd, this is quite possibly the greatest christmas recording in recent memory. It's a throwback to the great "crooner" christmas albums of the 1950's and 1960's with a large orchestra with lot's of lush strings and beautiful brass.

I'm finding a very similar sound to that of the TONY BENNETT - SNOWFALL christmas album from back in 1968. But this is still Paul Anka all the way and high clas at that.

This cd is very romantic all the way through and has a very relaxed feeling throughout. There are some songs that I have never heard done in this slow and romantic style. Songs like BLUE CHRISTMAS and IT'S THE MOST WONDERFUL TIME OF THE YEAR, for example, but man, are they ever nice. And SANTA CLAUS IS COMING TO TOWN has only been done slow and romantic once, to my memory, that being on the JACKIE GLEASON christmas album from the 1950's. The mood and style is the same from the first track to the last so if you like the first, you should like the last. The only change is I'LL BE HOME FOR CHRISTMAS which is done latin style but even that keeps a romantic and relaxed sound throughout.

There may even be a few favorite versions of songs on this cd, okay, there is. BLUE CHRISTMAS is a definite favorite version. Paul's singing on this song is very emotional like I have never heard on this song and the backing orchestra is awesome. LET IT SNOW that opens the cd is another potential favorite version as is SILVER BELLS at the end of the cd. HAVE YOURSELF A MERRY LITTLE CHRISTMAS deserves special mention. There may be other favorite versions, too, but let me just say that all the songs are great and if you're looking for that new "vintage" styled christmas cd or just something new to play as background christmas music when entertaining people at your house during the christmas holidays, this fits the bell with my highest recommendation.

This is amazing folks, unfortunately the sound sample really don't do this justice as a lot of them seem to be the beginning of the song and don't display what the song really moves into. But it's the real deal in classy christmas music.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 29, 2012 11:02 PM PDT

Heavenly Christmas
Heavenly Christmas
Offered by RYU'SHOP
Price: $9.99
55 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow! Just As Great As Her First Christmas CD!, November 17, 2011
This review is from: Heavenly Christmas (Audio CD)
Wow! This is amazing. I just can't believe the talent of Jackie as she isn't even 12 yet.

If you like her other christmas cd, O HOLY NIGHT, you're sure to like this as well as it is just as great. And this cd is a regular full length cd with 10 tracks that words can't describe.

I must say I have no problems with the production as another said. Jackie's voice is very clear throughout and anytime it's caught up with the orchestra or chorus, I'm pretty confident it was meant to be that way as it brings all into a wonderful and powerful combination to bring out the most at that part of the song. A perfect example is in DING DONG MERRILY ON HIGH which, by the way, is also my favorite version of the song and also my favorite song on the cd (though it's hard to pick a favorite as all songs are so good). This song has a very unique arrangement that I've never quite heard before on this song and the orchestra and chorus really shine on this song, too, all with Jackie's most awesome voice leading the way. I often put this song on repeat as I enjoy it so much.

That said, I also put the whole cd on repeat because there isn't a weak song anywhere to be found. From O LITTLE TOWN OF BETHLEHEM to WHITE CHRISTMAS, you'll be listening to a talent that even most professional adults at their peak/prime only wish they could sound like.

This is amazing and receives my highest recommendation. This cd would also make a great gift, especially to parents and grandparents but anybody possible, too, and it also makes great background christmas music during the christmas season when entertaining people at your house.

100% recommended!
Comment Comments (7) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 21, 2012 4:30 PM PDT

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-12