Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale
Profile for philo_vance > Reviews

Browse

philo_vance's Profile

Customer Reviews: 246

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

philo_vance RSS Feed (NY, USA)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Persil Proclean Power-Liquid Detergent, Original Scent, 40 Fluid Ounce
Persil Proclean Power-Liquid Detergent, Original Scent, 40 Fluid Ounce
Price: $7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, February 2, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This laundry detergent works well. Make sure you use enough--a difficult assignment since the manufacturer provides a measuring cap with almost impossible to see markings. The first time I tried the Persil, I was rather unimpressed but I discovered, after a careful examination of the measuring cap, that I hadn't used the recommended amount. The second laundry day with this detergent was much more successful. I think it may be that the reason some reviewers dislike the smell of their clothing after using this product, is that they didn't use enough of it and they are actually smelling--well--dirty clothes!

Fragrance is OK, not overpowering and pleasant enough.

I have a set of white towels that I'm using as a way to compare with Tide, and my impression is that the Tide liquid does a slightly better job of keeping them bright and white. However, if there is a difference (and it's not just my imagination), that difference is small. If you use Tide liquid and you can get the Persil for significantly less, I think it's worth a try.

Optima Collection Platinum Level Complete Bath Set, includes 2 Bath Towels, 2 Hand Towels, and 2 Washclothes, 100% Eco-Friendly Pre-Consumer Regenerated Cotton
Price: $34.00
3 used & new from $28.90

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, January 16, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These are very good quality, economical towels. They are nicely sized, absorbent and dry quickly on the towel rack. I see a number of other reviewers describing them as "plush." I would be reluctant to go that far, however they are pleasantly soft to the touch and fine for everyday service. In use, I can detect no difference between these environmentally-friendly towels and others produced by more conventional manufacturing methods.

I have machine washed them (warm) three times and they have emerged unscathed and as bright white as new. I cut myself shaving and despite my best efforts, I got blood on the hand towel. My usual procedure with my Pinzon and Target towels, rubbing a little Tide directly on to the stain and then washing in the machine as usual, worked perfectly. My concern is that even when drying (medium) the two sets for the third time, the lint screen became covered with a thick mat of fibers. I stopped the cycle halfway through to clean off the accumulation to make sure I didn't damage the machine.

The hand towel is about 15" by 28", the bath towel 27" by 51" and the wash cloth 12" by 12". Sizes are approximate and after the aforementioned three machine washes and drys.

TRENDnet Low Energy Micro Bluetooth 4.0 Class I USB 2.0 with Distance up to 10 Meters/32.8 Feet. Compatible with Win 8.1/8/7/Vista/XP. Classic Bluetooth, and stereo headset
Price: $10.99
62 used & new from $10.99

4.0 out of 5 stars OK, January 16, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
When I first installed this tiny bluetooth adapter in one of my desktops running Windows Vista, I couldn't get it to connect to my devices. A few minutes of head scratching, and I realized that my difficulties were caused by the fact that I had installed it in one of the USB ports on the back of the PC and everything I was trying to connect was in front. The little adapter apparently hasn't the signal strength to go through the metal chassis and electronics of the desktop. When I tried it on one of the front connectors, I had much better success.

I'm deducting one star from my rating because I find the software that comes with the adapter to be rather strange. Once you get the hang of it, it functions well enough, but I found it a little frustrating and not at all intuitive. Furthermore, in Windows Vista anyway, it seems that you must use the supplied "Blue Soleil" utility to connect your devices. Nothing shows up in Windows' Control Panel Bluetooth.

That said, I'm mostly pleased with the TRENDnet. Paired devices remained paired between reboots and connected devices stay connected for entire sessions. I'm using it with a Sony Bluetooth-capable sound system and a Zagg Bluetooth keyboard and it functions well with both.

ZAGG Limitless, Full-Size Multi-Device Universal Backlit Keyboard - Black (ZGUNIK-BB0)
Price: $79.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost a winner, December 29, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I had high hopes for this keyboard because I thought it might be able to solve a couple of different problems for me. First, I wanted a wireless, illuminated keyboard that I could use with my Motorola Moto G2 Android (5.0.2) Smartphone. I hate the little onscreen pseudo-keyboard and, when I'm sitting at my desk I could easily use a standard one. I also wanted to be able to use that same keyboard for my two Windows desktops. And I wanted to be able to easily switch between all three devices. The Zagg Limitless seemed to be the perfect solution, but unfortunately introduces a new problem in the process.

I had no difficulty pairing the Zagg with all three devices. Switching from the Android to the Windows desktops and between the Windows desktops works flawlessly. The problem is that switching back to the Android doesn't always work. The desktop knows that the keyboard has disconnected, so no problem there, but the Smartphone sometimes doesn't reconnect. The Android Bluetooth Settings screen shows that the Limitless is still "Paired" but is not "Connected." If I wait a minute or two and then just try typing, sometimes the Android will suddenly and spontaneously reconnect, but even that doesn't always work and I have to go back to the Windows machine and repeat the switching process until it succeeds. If the Android Moto locks its screen, the Zagg generally works as it should once I've unlocked it with no re-connection issues, but there too sometimes I'm "Paired" but not "Connected."

The keyboard itself is very nice. I have no problems with its key action, placement and size. I love the illumination. Both my desktops have Logitech illluminated keyboards and I've grown very fond of those. The Zagg compares favorably in all respects, except that it offers almost no customization other than illumination color and intensity. If it would just switch reliably back to the Android device, it would be a 5-star product. I suspect that the problem has more to do with Android than with Zagg but in the end I have to rate the product based on its utility to me, so just three stars. If you don't intend to make use of the multiple-device feature and just want a nearly full-size (but not portable) keyboard for your phone or tablet, it's not a bad choice.

Epson Expression Photo XP-960 Wireless Color Photo Printer with Scanner and Copier
Offered by Phase 3, LLC
Price: $266.69
25 used & new from $199.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and fast, November 25, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was originally an HP printer fan. Seven or eight years ago, I switched to Canon. About three years ago I acquired an Epson XP-800 and have been sold on Epson ever since. I like this latest version of their Expression line very much.

My first impression is that it's fast--very fast. In the time it would take for my XP-800 to just get itself ready to start printing, the XP-960 has completed the task. That is true for both text and photos. The scanner is very fast as well. I print mostly text. The XP-960 prints sharp, clear text, even in small fonts. No blurring or aliasing. The few images I tried printed nicely, but I didn't have any photo paper (and Epson doesn't provide a sample), so I couldn't really test it thoroughly.

Using Epson's iPrint app, I was able to print from both Apple and Android phones, but using Epson's Print Enabler App on my Motorola Moto G2 was, I thought, a better solution. It basically makes your printer available to Android's native printing, so any app that can print will be able to find the printer from within the app.

I've had no paper handling issues or jams and I have tried two-sided printing. No jams or misfeeds. The only paper-handling feature the printer lacks is an Auto Document Feeder.

B+W 52mm HTC Kaesemann Circular Polarizer with Multi-Resistant Coating
B+W 52mm HTC Kaesemann Circular Polarizer with Multi-Resistant Coating
Price: $94.00
5 used & new from $94.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, November 3, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
In my 35mm photography days, now ancient history, I'd buy 2 filters whenever I'd acquire a new camera--a Skylight1A to protect the lens and also a Polarizer to darken blue skies, increase color clarity and remove glare and reflections. The Polarizer can make a huge positive difference in outdoor and landscape photography.

I'd always purchase Hoya brand filters as they were affordable but good quality. When I moved from film to digital super-zooms, I continued to buy the Skylight filter but I skipped the Polarizer because I didn't want to give up the 2+ f-stops penalty I'd incur from using one. The super-zooms tend to be too restrictive with their maximum apertures to support that kind of sacrifice.

This B+W polarizer, in my informal testing, takes only a bit more than one f-stop. I can deal with that much light loss in order to get the benefits that it can offer.

The filter appears to be very well-made. The front element rotates smoothly but without any kind of looseness. The filter screws on and off the Hoya Skylight filter beneath it easily and without any issues. I can't really speak to optical quality, as my Canon Superzoom has lens issues (as do all superzooms) that would likely render such testing meaningless. The glass (and its coatings) on the B+W is probably too good for my lens, by which I mean that my lens would hold the back the filter's performance rather than the other way round.

If you opt to purchase this (or any other) Polarizer, be advised that, if you're unfamiliar with this kind of filter, you'll need to learn how to use it to best effect. Visits to a few Photography websites should do the trick. Just type "how to use a polarizing filter in photography" into Google and you'll be good to go.

Lock & Lock Cereal Dispenser Container, 16.5-Cup, 132- Ounces
Lock & Lock Cereal Dispenser Container, 16.5-Cup, 132- Ounces
Price: $17.65
12 used & new from $13.84

4.0 out of 5 stars Good but flawed, October 22, 2015
I love the Lock&Lock brand. I've been using them for quite a long time. My oldest pieces are at least 9 or 10 years old and are still going strong. I use them constantly. They keep everything I put into them fresh. They are quite durable and clean up very nicely in the dishwasher (top shelf).

This Cereal Dispenser has the familiar 4 flaps, one on each quadrant of the lid, that engage the equally familiar tabs on each quadrant of the body of the piece. The maximum dimensions of the container with its lid on are 9 3/4 inches tall, 9 5/8 inches deep and 4 1/2 inches wide. It also has a closable spout on its top and that, I feel, is where L&L missed the boat.

The spout has no silicon seal! It doesn't really seal the opening, it just kind of sits on top of it. I cannot understand the logic of giving us the usual airtight and watertight closure for the container's top and then completely compromising it with an ordinary press-fit lid on the spout. It's just silly and it's the reason why this is the first Lock&Lock product that I've rated at less than 5 stars.

Still, I can report after using it for several boxes of cereal that I've had no staleness or insect issues. The spout stays up after you lift it and pouring Corn Flakes or Cheerios or Raisin Bran into a bowl couldn't be easier. The container's capacity fits regular size cereal boxes quite comfortably, but the large, Family-Size boxes don't quite make it all in.

Woods 041453 6-Outlet Home/Office Surge Protector with 4-Foot Cord, 1000 Joules of Protection
Price: $11.21
18 used & new from $11.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, October 3, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been using this surge protector for the last month. The problem with evaluating a piece of equipment like this is that, if it works correctly, you'll never know it! As luck would have it, A few years ago I did get a chance to see the value of having a surge protector like this one.

I had all my computer stuff (PCs, Monitors, modem, router, External HDDs, etc) plugged into two APC surge protectors. But my printer, located on the other side of the room, was not. We had some stormy, lightning-filled weather with power fluctuations, brown outs, half-second black-outs and finally a complete loss of power that lasted several hours. When electrical service was finally restored, all of my equipment powered up fine--except for the printer. At first, it would power up sometimes, but within a few days, not at all. It was the only piece of computer equipment not plugged into one of the APCs. I'm very skeptical about coincidences. The deciding factor had to have been the surge protector, or rather, the lack of one.

This Woods product seems to be a high quality device. It has the usual features--on/off switch that controls all the outlets, two large LEDs to indicate whether it's working and is grounded, and a way to close off the unused outlets so that nothing can get in.

My only criticisms, are (1) I wish that Woods had rotated the outlets 90 degrees in the body of the surge protector and spaced them out a bit more. That would have made it possible to plug in the transformer blocks that many pieces of electronics gear use. Instead, I have to waste outlets or use the short extension cords made for that purpose. And (2) I wish that the slide that closes off the outlets not in use also covered the hole for the ground prong of the power plug. It does not. My one-star deduction is for those two items.

Quilted Northern Compressed Core Bath Tissue, 6 Count
Quilted Northern Compressed Core Bath Tissue, 6 Count

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, October 3, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I usually buy Charmin Ultra Soft. I find this product to be as good in all respects. It's strong enough, doesn't shred or fall apart, doesn't make a lot of lint and is very soft.

The unique feature here is that Northern "flattens" the rolls so that the package of six takes up less room than it would otherwise. I never have enough storage space in my little home, so the saved space is appreciated. It's not a problem to massage the roll back to its original round shape after removing it from the packaging. It goes on to the TP holder and rotates when dispensing pretty much the same as any other roll.

For me, it would come down to price. If I can get the same amount of product for about the same cost as the Charmin, then the space savings would be enough to tilt the scale in favor of the Northern.

Wrangler Men's Authentics Short Sleeve Classic Woven Shirt, Biking Red, Large
Wrangler Men's Authentics Short Sleeve Classic Woven Shirt, Biking Red, Large
Price: $15.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, September 25, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am generally pleased with this shirt from Wrangler. I prefer 100% cotton shirts so full marks there. I'm about 5'9" to 5'10" and 160 pounds. I took the large and I find the fit is excellent. A little roomy, but that's what I prefer, especially in a casual shirt.

I like to walk a mile or two every day and I did so while wearing this shirt. Both days were warm and somewhat humid. I know that if I had been wearing a regular cotton polo, it would have had some damp spots by the time I got back, and this Wrangler did as well. Nevertheless, I found it very comfortable in the heat.

I've worn and laundered the shirt twice (machine wash cold, tumble dry low) and it looks as good as it did when new--almost. I make it a practice to remove shirts from the dryer while they are still damp and let them complete drying on a hanger. This one mostly "presses out" by the time it dries but does retain a few wrinkles. I'm happy to wear it that way, but if you like to have a nattier appearance, you might want to bring out the iron.

I would characterize the color as a dark red. Many years ago, I had a Camaro which was the same color and Chevy called it "Wine." I think that's a better description of this color.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20