Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Lacuna Coil Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Luxury Beauty The Baby Store Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Outdoor Recreation SnS
Profile for philo_vance > Reviews

Browse

philo_vance's Profile

Customer Reviews: 251

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

philo_vance RSS Feed (NY, USA)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Coleman Divide+ 225 lm LED Headlamp with Battery Lock
Coleman Divide+ 225 lm LED Headlamp with Battery Lock
Price: $20.73
12 used & new from $15.71

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, May 24, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I find that as I get older, the primary change in my vision is my ability to see in low light. I'm always reaching for my Maglite Mini to help me with this. Sometimes I carry it around with me in my pocket. The problem with such an approach is that you either have to give up the use of one hand to hold the flashlight or, to use two hands, you can hold the thing in your teeth--neither comfortable nor particularly sanitary. This Coleman Headlamp is a brilliant solution to the problem.

It's pretty comfortable to wear. The entire unit including lamp, batteries and headgear weighs just under 4 ounces. The adjustable strap is very soft to the touch and it runs through the back of the lamp unit so that it is the only thing that comes in contact with your forehead when you wear the apparatus. It does not have a strap that goes over the top of the head.

Since the 3 AAA batteries are contained in the lamp unit, it is front heavy and this can get a bit annoying after wearing for a while. I've seen other designs where the batteries are in a special enclosure at the back of the head in order to help solve this issue, but for applications that require relatively short duration use, it's not a problem. Jogging or running at night might not be practical but I don't think Coleman really intended it for that purpose.

The lamp's position can be adjusted from horizontal to vertical in 5 steps. This is very useful when using the Coleman as a portable work lamp, because you can point in down to illuminate what you're working on without having to change your head position. The beam cannot be focused but, unlike my Maglite, never really seems to need it. Even the Spot settings give uniform lighting without rings or dark areas.

The lamp has 5 settings: Red, High Flood (225L), Low Flood (50L), High Spot (100L) and Low Spot (20L). The two high settings provide more than enough illumination to do even detail work at arm's length or read a map at night. The manufacturer says that with the included Duracells, you'll get 3.5 hours at the High Flood setting and 6 hours at the High Spot setting with significantly more at the Low settings.

According to Coleman, a big selling point here is the ability to completely disengage the batteries from the unit, the "Battery Lock." Coleman says that this removes any "residual drain" on the batteries that you might get even with the lamp switched off and allows you to have a ready-to-go lighting solution for a time period as long as the shelf life of your batteries.

As is often the case these days, the instruction sheet contains directions in multiple languages which means that text and photos are very small and not especially easy to understand or even see, but the unit is not complicated to use and you can work it out without much head-scratching.

One minor quibble: Successive presses of the switch on the lamp unit move you from one mode to the next and then off. That's fine. However, if more than 5 seconds go by in any mode, the next press turns the unit off. This means that if you're not sure which mode you want and you hesitate a little too long in any mode trying to make up your mind, the next press turns the unit off instead of going to the next mode.

Quaker Breakfast Flats, Cranberry Almond, Breakfast Bars (Pack of 8)
Quaker Breakfast Flats, Cranberry Almond, Breakfast Bars (Pack of 8)

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, May 2, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been counting calories for the last 10 or 12 years. If I don't, I just slowly but surely gain weight. So I'm always on the lookout for good-tasting foods that will fit in to my diet. If those foods are reasonably "healthy" and don't have a lot of artificial ingredients, so much the better. But that's only half the battle. If its taste is such that it's not worth eating, than whatever the calorie count happens to be is wasted. These Quaker Breakfast Flats really satisfy all my criteria.

I have to say that I'm using them as a snack rather than as a breakfast replacement. In the afternoon with a cup of coffee or tea or at night as a bedtime snack, each wafer (there are 3 to a pack) contains 60 calories. One or two is perfect for me and doesn't wreck my day's allotment of calories.

Each 4 inch by 1 3/4 inch "flat" has much of the appeal of a cookie with about the same dietary impact in terms of calories, sugar and total fat but they have whole grains and more fiber with less saturated fat and no artificial ingredients. They are sweet, are a nice combination of crunchy and chewy and are delicious. They really satisfy me when I need a snack and help me stay the course with my diet. If they were 40 to 50 calories per flat, I'd rate them at 5 stars.

DII 100% Cotton, Machine Washable, Everyday Kitchen Basic, Oven Mitt and Potholder Gift Set, Neon Pink
Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, April 11, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These are attractive and work well. When I first received them, I thought they were identical to another DII set that I own and like, DII 100% Cotton, Machine Washable, Everyday Kitchen Basic, Stripe Commercial Grade, Restaurant Quality Chef Oven Mitt and Potholder Gift Set, Nautical Blue, but they are not the same. This set weighs 5.45 ounces. The "Commercial Grade" set weighs 6.20 ounces, almost 15% heavier. In terms of performance, however, I find no discernible difference.

I have used both sets to remove baking dishes from a 425 degree oven without any difficulty. I continued to hold the hot dish using the mitt for about a minute, while I spooned out its contents into a serving dish. I had no problems with the heat. The mitt is a little stiff and trying to use the potholder as a second mitt is a little awkward. I think I'd have preferred two mitts instead and, in fact, I'm using the mitts from both sets as a pair and using the potholders as trivets. Overall, I'm pleased with this set and I have been using it regularly.

Britax 2016 B-Agile 3 Stroller, Black
Britax 2016 B-Agile 3 Stroller, Black
Price: $202.49
10 used & new from $202.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, March 25, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Since my grandson's birth last year, his primary mode of transportation has been the Baby Jogger City Mini Stroller In Black, Gray Frame. This Britax is quite similar to that one--tricycle design, extendable sun hood, storage underneath, about 17 or 18 pounds in weight.

It was simple to assemble and it is very solidly built. Unfortunately, we were unable to find a Britax adapter for the Graco Click-Connect System that we use. This means that he has to ride in this stroller without an infant carrier of any kind and, though this is perfectly feasible, the Britax is really a bit too large for a small infant. There's no padding between the fabric of the seat and the side rails, so if he winds up leaning to one side or the other, which happens even if he's harnessed in, his head is not cushioned from the stroller's metal frame.

One feature that we liked was that the Britax, while it collapses very easily for storage much like the Citi, has a release that must be pressed in order to fold up the stroller. We thought that was a great safety feature.

The storage area below is pretty spacious but a very large diaper bag won't fit. Even smaller items may fall out since it has no rear lip to prevent this.

The rear wheels are easily locked and unlocked with a foot pedal and the front wheels may be locked into a non-swiveling, forward-facing position if you really intend to do your running or jogging while pushing the stroller.

We thought that the Britax was superior to the Citi Mini when it came to handling. When the Mini's front wheel is turned hard to the left or right, if you push forward the stroller feels unstable--like it could tip over. The Britax didn't suffer from this problem. It was always very smooth.

If there was an adapter for the Graco carrier, this would be a 5-star product. But if the rating is to reflect the product's utility to us, then we have to deduct one star.

Price: $9.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, March 11, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These are attractive and work well. I have used them to remove baking dishes from a 425 degree oven without any difficulty. I continued to hold the hot dish using the mitt for about a minute, while I spooned out its contents into a serving dish. I had no problems with the heat. The mitt is a little stiff and trying to use the potholder as a second mitt is a little awkward. I think I'd have preferred two mitts instead, but overall I'm pleased with the set and I have been using them regularly.

Persil ProClean Power-Liquid, Original Scent Laundry Detergent, 40 oz (25 loads)
Offered by LIVINGHOPE2016
Price: $8.99
4 used & new from $5.40

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, February 2, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This laundry detergent works well. Make sure you use enough--a difficult assignment since the manufacturer provides a measuring cap with almost impossible to see markings. The first time I tried the Persil, I was rather unimpressed but I discovered, after a careful examination of the measuring cap, that I hadn't used the recommended amount. The second laundry day with this detergent was much more successful. I think it may be that the reason some reviewers dislike the smell of their clothing after using this product, is that they didn't use enough of it and they are actually smelling--well--dirty clothes!

Fragrance is OK, not overpowering and pleasant enough.

I have a set of white towels that I'm using as a way to compare with Tide, and my impression is that the Tide liquid does a slightly better job of keeping them bright and white. However, if there is a difference (and it's not just my imagination), that difference is small. If you use Tide liquid and you can get the Persil for significantly less, I think it's worth a try.

Optima Collection Platinum Level Complete Bath Set, includes 2 Bath Towels, 2 Hand Towels, and 2 Washclothes, 100% Eco-Friendly Pre-Consumer Regenerated Cotton
Price: $34.00
3 used & new from $22.33

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, January 16, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These are very good quality, economical towels. They are nicely sized, absorbent and dry quickly on the towel rack. I see a number of other reviewers describing them as "plush." I would be reluctant to go that far, however they are pleasantly soft to the touch and fine for everyday service. In use, I can detect no difference between these environmentally-friendly towels and others produced by more conventional manufacturing methods.

I have machine washed them (warm) three times and they have emerged unscathed and as bright white as new. I cut myself shaving and despite my best efforts, I got blood on the hand towel. My usual procedure with my Pinzon and Target towels, rubbing a little Tide directly on to the stain and then washing in the machine as usual, worked perfectly. My concern is that even when drying (medium) the two sets for the third time, the lint screen became covered with a thick mat of fibers. I stopped the cycle halfway through to clean off the accumulation to make sure I didn't damage the machine.

The hand towel is about 15" by 28", the bath towel 27" by 51" and the wash cloth 12" by 12". Sizes are approximate and after the aforementioned three machine washes and drys.

TRENDnet Low Energy Micro Bluetooth 4.0 Class I USB 2.0 with Distance up to 10 Meters/32.8 Feet. Compatible with Win 8.1/8/7/Vista/XP. Classic Bluetooth, and stereo headset
Price: $11.88
78 used & new from $10.99

4.0 out of 5 stars OK, January 16, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
When I first installed this tiny bluetooth adapter in one of my desktops running Windows Vista, I couldn't get it to connect to my devices. A few minutes of head scratching, and I realized that my difficulties were caused by the fact that I had installed it in one of the USB ports on the back of the PC and everything I was trying to connect was in front. The little adapter apparently hasn't the signal strength to go through the metal chassis and electronics of the desktop. When I tried it on one of the front connectors, I had much better success.

I'm deducting one star from my rating because I find the software that comes with the adapter to be rather strange. Once you get the hang of it, it functions well enough, but I found it a little frustrating and not at all intuitive. Furthermore, in Windows Vista anyway, it seems that you must use the supplied "Blue Soleil" utility to connect your devices. Nothing shows up in Windows' Control Panel Bluetooth.

That said, I'm mostly pleased with the TRENDnet. Paired devices remained paired between reboots and connected devices stay connected for entire sessions. I'm using it with a Sony Bluetooth-capable sound system and a Zagg Bluetooth keyboard and it functions well with both.

ZAGG Limitless, Full-Size Multi-Device Universal Backlit Keyboard - Black (ZGUNIK-BB0)
Price: $79.99
6 used & new from $60.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Almost a winner, December 29, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I had high hopes for this keyboard because I thought it might be able to solve a couple of different problems for me. First, I wanted a wireless, illuminated keyboard that I could use with my Motorola Moto G2 Android (5.0.2) Smartphone. I hate the little onscreen pseudo-keyboard and, when I'm sitting at my desk I could easily use a standard one. I also wanted to be able to use that same keyboard for my two Windows desktops. And I wanted to be able to easily switch between all three devices. The Zagg Limitless seemed to be the perfect solution, but unfortunately introduces a new problem in the process.

I had no difficulty pairing the Zagg with all three devices. Switching from the Android to the Windows desktops and between the Windows desktops works flawlessly. The problem is that switching back to the Android doesn't always work. The desktop knows that the keyboard has disconnected, so no problem there, but the Smartphone sometimes doesn't reconnect. The Android Bluetooth Settings screen shows that the Limitless is still "Paired" but is not "Connected." If I wait a minute or two and then just try typing, sometimes the Android will suddenly and spontaneously reconnect, but even that doesn't always work and I have to go back to the Windows machine and repeat the switching process until it succeeds. If the Android Moto locks its screen, the Zagg generally works as it should once I've unlocked it with no re-connection issues, but there too sometimes I'm "Paired" but not "Connected."

The keyboard itself is very nice. I have no problems with its key action, placement and size. I love the illumination. Both my desktops have Logitech illluminated keyboards and I've grown very fond of those. The Zagg compares favorably in all respects, except that it offers almost no customization other than illumination color and intensity. If it would just switch reliably back to the Android device, it would be a 5-star product. I suspect that the problem has more to do with Android than with Zagg but in the end I have to rate the product based on its utility to me, so just three stars. If you don't intend to make use of the multiple-device feature and just want a nearly full-size (but not portable) keyboard for your phone or tablet, it's not a bad choice.

Epson Expression Photo XP-960 Wireless Color Photo Printer with Scanner and Copier
Offered by pcrush-outlet
Price: $241.78
32 used & new from $237.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent and fast, November 25, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was originally an HP printer fan. Seven or eight years ago, I switched to Canon. About three years ago I acquired an Epson XP-800 and have been sold on Epson ever since. I like this latest version of their Expression line very much.

My first impression is that it's fast--very fast. In the time it would take for my XP-800 to just get itself ready to start printing, the XP-960 has completed the task. That is true for both text and photos. The scanner is very fast as well. I print mostly text. The XP-960 prints sharp, clear text, even in small fonts. No blurring or aliasing. The few images I tried printed nicely, but I didn't have any photo paper (and Epson doesn't provide a sample), so I couldn't really test it thoroughly.

Using Epson's iPrint app, I was able to print from both Apple and Android phones, but using Epson's Print Enabler App on my Motorola Moto G2 was, I thought, a better solution. It basically makes your printer available to Android's native printing, so any app that can print will be able to find the printer from within the app.

I've had no paper handling issues or jams and I have tried two-sided printing. No jams or misfeeds. The only paper-handling feature the printer lacks is an Auto Document Feeder.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20