Profile for philo_vance > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 212

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

philo_vance RSS Feed (NY, USA)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Printer-Mate NEW Compatible Replacement 5 Packs for Epson 273XL Black and Color Printer Ink Cartridge Expression Xp-600 Xp-800
Offered by Printer-Mate
Price: $7.49
11 used & new from $4.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, November 4, 2014
I was very pleasantly surprised with how well these worked in my Epson XP800. I bought two sets and had no leaks in transit. Installation was uneventful, and printed pages look fine. The printer software treats the cartridges exactly the same way as OEM. Ink levels are correctly displayed and the printer does not complain about them. Text is sharp and images are colorful, with no bleeding or smudging or smearing.

Hint: Read Epson's instructions on installing replacement ink cartridges before you start. I think the good folks complaining here about how they got full-sleeve tattoos from these may have handled them incorrectly. The only ink I got on myself was from removing the empty Epson-branded cartridges! Think of them as loaded guns that shoot ink rather than bullets and treat them appropriately, you'll be fine.

Hint 2: Buy directly from the manufacturer, Printer-Mate.

Look, if you're printing Annual Reports for the Board Meeting of your multimillion dollar corporation, maybe you should invest in Epson's ink. Likewise, if you're printing family photos that you want your descendants centuries from now to be able to look at and admire how colorful great-great-great-grandpa looks, then you want the archival properties of the OEM's ink. But to print the occasional rebate form or coupon or the kids' homework, these work perfectly and at a small fraction of the cost of the ones from Epson.

Lock&Lock 25-Fluid Ounce Round Food Container, Tall, 3.1-Cup
Lock&Lock 25-Fluid Ounce Round Food Container, Tall, 3.1-Cup
Offered by Kally & Young
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, November 2, 2014
I love the Lock&Lock brand. I've been using them for quite a long time. My oldest pieces are at least 8 or 9 years old and are still going strong. I use them constantly. I know some folks hate leftovers, but I don't. If I bought it or made it in the first place, it was because I like eating it, and if I liked it today, I'll like it tomorrow too! The Lock&Locks keep everything I put into them fresh and ready to be rewarmed.

I don't buy sets. Instead, I prefer to just buy the particular pieces that I need (preferably on sale--this one was 8 bucks). I can usually find a space-efficient way to store them by putting the smaller ones into the larger ones. I didn't have a Lock&Lock of this size, but I like the Birds Eye and Hanover "Steam-able" bags of frozen vegetables and I wanted an appropriate size and shape for storing them. The 3.1-Cup, 25-fluid ounce size is perfect. Most 8 to 12 ounce packages will fit very comfortably. I just open the bag, pour it all into the Lock&Lock and portion from there.

It has the familiar 4 flaps, one on each quadrant of the lid, that engage the equally familiar tabs on each quadrant of the body of the piece. This was one of my first round Lock&Locks, and I was concerned that with a round shape, getting the tabs and flaps to line up might be a problem, but it isn't--it takes an extra half second. The seal is tight, waterproof and secure. The dimensions in the Product Details are backwards. The diameter should be 5.6 inches and the height is 3.3 inches. Keep in mind that they refer to the lid and not the body of the container, which will be slightly smaller.

The Lock&Locks are microwave reheatable, but I never do that. Depending on what I'm reheating, if it has tomatoes or oil, it can stain or mar the container. I transfer to the dish I'm going to serve in, and reheat that way. I do wash them in the dishwasher (top rack) and my oldest pieces are still perfectly functional.

I am a retired engineer, and I think it may be that the simple, effective and direct way that the Lock&Locks solve the food storage problem appeals to my "tech-y" personality. The way that they preserve the freshness of whatever I put in them appeals to my palate, that's certain!

Lock&Lock 24-Fluid Ounce Round Food Container, Tall, 2.9-Cup
Lock&Lock 24-Fluid Ounce Round Food Container, Tall, 2.9-Cup
Offered by SHOPFORYOU
Price: $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, November 1, 2014
I love the Lock&Lock brand. I've been using them for quite a long time. My oldest pieces are at least 8 or 9 years old and are still going strong. I use them constantly. I know some folks hate leftovers, but I don't. If I bought it or made it in the first place, it was because I like eating it, and if I liked it tonight, I'll like it tomorrow night too! The Lock&Locks keep everything I put into them fresh and ready to be rewarmed.

I don't buy sets. Instead, I prefer to just buy the particular pieces that I need (preferably on sale--this one was 7 bucks). I can usually find a space-efficient way to store them by putting the smaller ones into the larger ones. I didn't have a Lock&Lock of this size, but I like canned soup (especially when the weather gets cold) and I wanted an appropriate size and shape for storing that. The 2.9-Cup, 24-fluid ounce (700 ml) size is perfect. An entire 18 or 19 oz can of Progresso or Campbell's will fit very comfortably. I just open the can, pour it all into the Lock&Lock and portion from there.

It has the familiar 4 flaps, one on each quadrant of the lid, that engage the equally familiar tabs on each quadrant of the body of the piece. This was my first round Lock&Lock, and I was concerned that with a round shape, getting the tabs and flaps to line up might be a problem, but it isn't--it takes an extra half second. The seal is tight, waterproof and secure. The dimensions in the Product Description are accurate (4.5" high, 4.6" diameter), but keep in mind that they refer to the lid and not the body of the container, which will be slightly smaller.

The Lock&Locks are microwave reheatable, but I never do that. Depending on what I'm reheating, if it has tomatoes or oil, they can stain or mar the container. I transfer to the dish I'm going to serve in, and reheat that way. I do wash them in the dishwasher (top rack) and my oldest pieces are still perfectly functional.

I am a retired engineer, and I think it may be that the simple, effective and direct way that the Lock&Locks solve the food storage problem appeals to my "tech-y" personality. The way that they preserve the freshness of whatever I put in them appeals to my palate, that's for sure!

Lenovo X315 (90B00000US) Desktop
Lenovo X315 (90B00000US) Desktop
Price: $749.00
37 used & new from $749.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, October 31, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I don't use my PC for gaming. But labeling a machine as a "Gaming PC," just means that it has powerful main and graphics processors. These strengths are also required for video editing and I have become interested in that recently, so I was very pleased to evaluate this Lenovo X315.

As you would expect from the specs, it is fast. My old machine is a Dell Optiplex with an AMD Athlon 64 5600+ at 2.9 Ghz. On video editing tasks, I find that the Lenovo is anywhere from 3 to 5 times faster. For instance, using Freemake to convert a 1.5Gb 1080p FLV to a 720p AVI, takes the Dell 52 minutes. The Lenovo can dispatch it in 12! If I use the DeShaker 3.1 plugin in VirtualDub to then stabilize that video, the Dell needs 2 hours, whereas the Lenovo can do it in 44 minutes. Other video editing operations show similar speed improvements.

If you believe in Microsoft's "Windows Experience Index," the Lenovo's CPUScore is 7.5, its GraphicsScore is 8.1 and its Overall is 5.9 (the DiskScore holds it back).

The hardware has been relatively trouble-free in the month that I've been using it, except for some small issues involving its USB connections. Initially, I had the sender for a MS Sculpt Ergonomic keyboard and mouse plugged into 1 of the USB2 connectors on the back panel. When I booted the machine, it would sometimes not find the peripherals and I'd have to boot again. Moving to one of the nearby USB3 ports remedied the problem. When I plugged a Seagate External Hard Drive into the other back panel USB3 port, both the keyboard/mouse and the Seagate acted erratically. Moving the sender to one of the front USB ports corrected this situation. I've used both the Sculpt duo and the Seagate drive on other machines, and not had any of these problems.

The system is very quiet. I have to check the front panel light to see if it's on.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 9, 2014 2:54 PM PST

Geoge Foreman GRP472P Removable Plate Grill, Service for 5
Geoge Foreman GRP472P Removable Plate Grill, Service for 5
Offered by Essex Technology Group
Price: $44.99
4 used & new from $38.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!, October 3, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've owned a Foreman Grill (George Foreman 4 Serving Classic Plate Grill) for the last 8 or 9 years. It has soldiered on admirably and it gets a lot of use owing to the facts that grilling is my preferred cooking method and that I'm not allowed to use a charcoal grill in the condominiums where I have lived for the last few years. It's pretty worn out and the non-stick coating is no longer "non-stick," so I was very pleased to try out this one. I've used it a half-dozen times and I love it!

I researched the removable-plate Foreman Grills a few years ago, but the reviews at that time were generally that, while convenient to clean, they didn't get as hot as the fixed-plate versions, so I never bought one. I can report that this one, if anything, gets hotter than my old one! Until I realized this, I overcooked the first two meals I prepared with it. It gets as hot as a rocket.

The removable grill plates are very well thought out too. They have plastic stay-cool handles and the handles travel with the plates, so you can remove the plates even if they are hot. The coating functions brilliantly. No matter what I've cooked, clean-up with water and a soapy sponge was simple, fast and easy. They are diswasher safe, but I don't think it's a good idea to clean any non-stick surface that way. A trick that I learned with my old Foreman, is to place a triple thickness of completely saturated paper towels on the grill after you've finished cooking and have unplugged the unit. The resulting steam keeps any food residues from burning to the grill surface and makes it a snap to clean.

The cooking surface is approximately 6+ inches deep by 12+ inches wide. Whether you can get 5 meals into that 72+ square inch space depends on what you're cooking and the appetites of those for whom you are cooking. I have grilled a 24 ounce London Broil on it with no difficulty. I have also made two 10-ounces skinless, boneless chicken breasts with easily enough additional space to accommodate a third. I bought a package of 5 boneless center-cut pork chops (avg weight about 4.5 to 5 ounces each) and, though I grilled only one of them, I did lay them all out on the grill surface--tight but feasible. Five quarter-pound burgers, flattened into thin disks like the fast-food places make them, would never make it--three at best. But if you made them thick and plump, I think you could make it work. If you're cooking for a family of five with two adults, you'll be fine. If you're cooking for the defensive line of an NFL football team, forget it.

The one negative is that replacing the plates into the grill can be tricky. It's slightly awkward and a difficult fit. Until you get the knack of it, the process can cause a bit of frustration. I make no deduction in my star-rating for this because once you understand how it's done, it ceases to be an issue.

It has no temperature control but I don't think it should have one. The idea of grilling is to get your cooking surface good and hot so you sear the surfaces of what you're cooking, make nice grill marks and get done fast. This GRP472P gets plenty hot and that's what you want.

The instructions say that when you plug it in, the red light will go on and when it reaches maximum temperature, the green light will go on. That isn't correct. Both lamps go on when you plug it in, and the green one turns *OFF* when it reaches the right temperature.

Highly recommended.

3x Canon PowerShot SX500 IS Digital Camera Premium Clear LCD Screen Protector Cover Guard Shield Film Kits. Exact fit, no cutting. (3 pieces by GUARMOR)
Offered by GUARMOR SHIELD
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, September 26, 2014
These are very nice. They fit the Canon SX500 perfectly, are completely transparent, are inexpensive (in September of 2014, their price was $6.50), really do seem to help some with the glare off the LCD when outdoors and you get three of them! It's easy to get smudges and fingerprints on them when you're using your camera, but it's also very easy to clean them off with a microfiber cloth. Most importantly, the camera's LCD is protected.

If you've never installed a screen protector or have had difficulty doing so in the past, I recommend that you go to YouTube and search for a video entitled, "(The Original) Foolproof way to put a screen protector." I found it very helpful. The method is demonstrated on a cell phone, but it's easily adapted to the SX500.

AmazonBasics In-Ear Headphones
AmazonBasics In-Ear Headphones
Price: $6.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing, September 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I generally use over-the-ear Razer Adaro headphones or Vibe earbuds with my iPod Touch, but I do a lot of walking and wanted something minimal (eliminating the Razers) and with a long enough cord to reach from the iPod in my pants pocket to my ears (eliminating the Vibes) so I could take my music with me. I like the Amazon Basics line of products. I own several and I find them an excellent blend of value and quality. I have had generally good success with them and had high hopes for these. Unfortunately these In-Ear Headphones were a disappointment. The sound is very "thin," with little bass and very "hissy" treble.

It's a pity. because in other respects, most notably comfort and cord length, these are winners. Left and Right are clearly marked and the plug fits my iPod Touch and its Otterbox Commuter case without any difficulties. There is a slider at the point where the cord splits into two lines, so you can adjust the spot where the it branches.

I don't consider myself an audiophile but the sound quality issues are, for me, impossible to overlook despite the price and I can't recommend these.

OXO Knife Block Set, 10-Piece
OXO Knife Block Set, 10-Piece
Price: $79.99
3 used & new from $74.90

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent value, September 13, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've never owned a knife "set." I have always just bought the ones I needed (and a block) when the opportunity and the need arose. The first one I bought many years ago was a Henkels, and I was sufficiently pleased to stick with that brand ever since. They are wonderful knives and, though they aren't inexpensive, they are no where near as pricey as you can get when it comes to cutlery.

I have been very favorably impressed with all these OXO knives. I've used each of them and have been very happy with their performance. The bread knife does very well on rolls and bagels. The Chef's knife, though about half the weight of my Henkels (4.25 oz vs. 7.7 oz), still gets the job done effectively. The utility knife is fabulous on tomatoes. The little paring knife makes short work of cutting an apple into quarters. The four steak knives are a major upgrade from the "gas station" knives that I've been using. My favorite though, is the Santoku. I have been wanting to try one of these since seeing it used on an Asian cooking show and I finally got my chance. I love it. The one knife conspicuous in its absence is a meat slicer, and a sharpening steel would have been welcome too, but those are just quibbles.

All the components of the set are comfortable to hold and their grips are coated with the same black rubberized material that OXO uses on most of their wares. They must be hand washed, but clean up easily with a sponge and some soapy water.

Certainly, you can get better cutting instruments if you spend three or six or ten times what these cost. If you have the skill with knives necessary to make that expense worthwhile, perhaps some formal training, then you might want to consider doing just that. However, if your day job has nothing to do with the food preparation industry, and your culinary education consists of watching The Food Channel, then these should serve you well and save you some money.

OXO Good Grips Professional 8-Inch Slicing Knife
OXO Good Grips Professional 8-Inch Slicing Knife
Price: $20.16
10 used & new from $13.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, September 11, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I like this Slicing Knife quite a lot. I've made a roast and a couple of London Broils since receiving it, and was pleased with the result on each occasion. I was able to make even, thin slices (on the bias with the London Broil) with very little effort. It is comfortable to hold and the grip is coated with the same black rubberized material that OXO uses on most of their wares.

I also own an OXO knife block set, but those knives are not from the "Professional" series. This knife has more heft than any of them. According to my kitchen scale, this Professional Slicing Knife weighs in at 5.35 ounces. The block set doesn't have a Slicing Knife, but its 8" Chef's Knife weighs 4.25 ounces. My Henckels 8" Chef's Knife weighs 7.7 ounces by comparison.

You can certainly buy better, significantly pricier knives than the OXO, but before you do you should ask yourself if you have the knife skills to make the extra expenditure worthwhile. I once had a neighbor who spent a small fortune on a tricked out Pontiac Trans Am, complete with gloss black paint, 8-cylinder engine and the bird on the hood paint job. Then when he drove it, he never did more than poop around town at 30 mph (much to the amusement of everyone who saw him). He didn't understand about outspending his skill level. If you're Bobby Flay or Emeril or a "Top Chef" contestant, you need a better knife than this. If your day job has nothing to do with culinary pursuits, it's a pretty good knife.

OXO Good Grips 7-Piece Nesting Measuring Beaker Set, Multicolored
OXO Good Grips 7-Piece Nesting Measuring Beaker Set, Multicolored
Offered by Wayfair
Price: $19.99
2 used & new from $19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, August 27, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm very fond of OXO products and I own many of them: Cutting Board, Dry Measuring Cups, Funnel Set, Clothes Hamper and lots of others. I like their products because the innovative designs reflect a commitment to doing things better than everyone else. These Liquid Measuring Cups fall right into step with that philosophy.

They have color-coded bases, they nest to minimize storage-space requirements, there are 7 of them ranging in capacity from 1 cup to 1 teaspoon and each is graduated into cup/spoon, ounce and milliliter scales.

Unfortunately, I find two flaws with them that cause me to be somewhat less enthusiastic than I usually am with OXO products. First, the colored base of each beaker can be seen through its clear plastic bottom, so that the color of the cup's contents is altered by the brightly hued base. If you measure a cup of water into the red-based 1-cup beaker for instance, it looks like you've got a rosé wine when you look down on it sitting on your counter. Since you're apt to be working with several of these for a recipe, not having the color to inform you of the contents could be confusing.

Secondly, the bases are generally a convex shape. So, when you put them upside-down into the top rack of your dishwasher, they will collect water during the wash that you'll have to deal with when you unload.

In all other respects, I find the beaker set to be high-quality and carefully thought out, as I've come to expect from OXO.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20