Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Disney Infinity 3.0 Shop Now Deal of the Day
Profile for philo_vance > Reviews

Browse

philo_vance's Profile

Customer Reviews: 233

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

philo_vance RSS Feed (NY, USA)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Scotch-Brite Multi-Purpose Scrub Sponge 521, 1-Count (Pack of 12)
Scotch-Brite Multi-Purpose Scrub Sponge 521, 1-Count (Pack of 12)
Offered by Pharmapacks
Price: $14.63
9 used & new from $9.76

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, August 29, 2015
I used to use the ocelo No Scratch Scrub Sponge, 6-Count (Pack of 2). I liked them, but Amazon stopped offering them and the third-party vendors want a ridiculous amount of money for them so I switched to these Scotch-Brites, which I find to be just as effective and much more economical.

They fit the hand well, but tend to be a little stiff owing to the thick and durable "scrubby" part. That's a good trade-off though, because they can take on any burnt on mess with just a bit of "elbow grease."

They are as non-scratch as the manufacturer claims. I use them on my Calphalon and Anolon non-stick pots and pans and they cause no damage whatsoever. I also use them on the removable ceramic plates of my George Foreman Grill. As those plates age, they are losing their non-stick properties but I can still get them clean with these sponges and without damaging the remaining coating.

I see that a number of recent reviews complain about the sponges having a bad smell. I have not experienced this problem. In fact, they have no smell even after using for more than a week. I bought mine in May of 2015.

Scotch-Brite Stay Clean Non-scratch Scrub Sponge, 9 Count
Scotch-Brite Stay Clean Non-scratch Scrub Sponge, 9 Count
Price: $12.28

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, August 23, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I used to use the ocelo No Scratch Scrub Sponge, 6-Count (Pack of 2). I liked them, but Amazon stopped offering them and the third-party vendors want a ridiculous amount of money for them so I switched to Scotch-Brite Multi-Purpose Scrub Sponge 521, 1-Count (Pack of 12) which I find to be just as effective and more economical.

These Scotch-Brites are good, but I don't find them quite as good as either of the others. They are about the same size, but not as thick. The actual sponge part is the same but the scrubby part is much thinner--it's more like a coating on one side of the sponge. This makes them much more flexible and they do tend to "stay clean" better, but they don't seem to have as much ability to remove difficult, burnt-on stuff.

They are as non-scratch as their predecessors and comfortable in the hand. They have no smell even after using for more than a week.

One disturbing thing I've noticed about them is that they don't seem to be colorfast! Even after days of use, the sponge drips slightly purple water when sitting in its holder. I would guess that the dye is harmless, but I don't know that for a fact. The other Scotch-Brites that I use don't do this.

MADKING 6W A19 LED Filament Bulb E27 Warm White Clear Glass Cover
MADKING 6W A19 LED Filament Bulb E27 Warm White Clear Glass Cover
Offered by Giantech Online
Price: $16.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, August 17, 2015
For starters, both Madking and I want to tell you that this item was sent to me for free in exchange for my honest review. Now that we have that out of the way, I can tell you that all of the feedback I have is positive!

They give a nice warm light, similar to incandescent, perhaps a slight greenish cast. Madking says they are 50W equivalent, and I think that's correct. They are just a bit less bright than the 60W incandescent or the 14W CFL to which I compared. Like incandescent bulbs and unlike CFLs, they come to maximum brightness immediately.

In use, they get warm but not hot. I could still grasp the bulb with my bare hand after it had been on for 15 minutes.

They are sensibly packaged in a protective plastic clamshell which fits snugly in its cardboard box.

The glass bulb is clear, so I think these would be most appropriate in applications where they will not be seen directly, like in a lamp where they would be hidden by a lampshade or frosted glass.

SOLEMEMO SE09 Sport Bluetooth 4.1 NFC Headphones,Sweatproof Wireless Headset Earphone Earbud with AptX,A2DP Music Streaming,Hands-free,Noise Cancelling,for Gym,Exercises,Game,Driving,workout and Cycling
Offered by SOLEMEMO
Price: $59.99
2 used & new from $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, August 6, 2015
For starters, both Solememo and I want to tell you that this item was sent to me for free in exchange for my honest review. Now that we have that out of the way, I can tell you that most of the feedback I have is positive. I love these!

For the last eight months or so, my "go to" headphones have been the Koss Pro4S Full Size Studio Headphones, Black with Silver Trim. I'm not going to tell you that the Solememo are as good as those, but they put in a very credible performance. They can't go way down into the low bass frequencies or way up into the high treble nearly as well as the Koss can, but they do a pretty reasonable job, I think. And they are bright and faithful in the midrange. They are very decent and quite clear. I've used them for both classical music and some pop mixed in as well. In the orchestral pieces, I found that on certain recordings, the SE09's could make the trebles a little shrill. Not terrible, but definitely noticeable. In addition to music, I've also listened to a couple of hours of an audiobook and found their performance on that assignment quite good.

Combine all this with their "go anywhere, do anything," capability and I think they are winners. I like to walk a mile or two every day. I wouldn't try to do that with full size headphones, but it's no challenge for these. They stay put comfortably and are are just unobtrusive enough so that you don't look like a Space Ranger, yet folks will know you're listening to something and won't try to start a conversation with you while you have these on.

I encountered a small problem pairing them with my Motorola Moto G2. I noticed that the Moto was trying to pair the SE09's with another set of BT headphones (which were power off) that I'd been using. This prevented the smartphone from connecting. Once I told it to forget the other pair, these paired up immediately. The Solememo's will tell you when you've powered on and they'll tell you when you've connected to Bluetooth. I mean that literally. The headset says, "Power on," and "Your headset is connected," at the appropriate times, as well as "Power off," when you shut them down.

The internal rechargeable battery has good capacity. I've used these for about five hours so far, and they're still on their initial charge, but I'm getting "battery low," from the headset voice.

But, for me, the best part is how comfortable these are. I have used quite a few different earbuds, both wired and BT, and after about 40 minutes max I have to take them off because of ear discomfort. This is the first set I've ever owned that I was able to wear for extended amounts of time!

Control placement is good. I was able to adjust them in my ears without accidentally pressing buttons--a problem I have had with others. Changing volume, pausing and resuming is easy and the on/off is out of the way, so you're not hitting it accidentally.

If Amazon allowed half-star ratings, I'd give these a 4 1/2, the 1/2 star deduction for the slightly screechy treble. However, I can't do that so I'm rounding up to a 5 on the strength of their extraordinary and very welcome comfort. I have other earbuds that sound a little better, but I'll be using these from now on because perfectly flat audio response means little if your ears hurt.

This is a fine product for what it is--an inexpensive way to enjoy your audio entertainment while you get your exercise. If you're up for some serious music appreciation, then sit yourself down on a comfortable easy chair, get out your expensive, over-the-ear studio headphones and enjoy. If, however, you also need to get a little physical activity, then you're going to have to make some concessions. With these Solememo SE09's, the concessions will be easier to take than the exercise.

SilverStone 5-Piece Cook Stand Tools Kitchen Tool Set, Chili Red
SilverStone 5-Piece Cook Stand Tools Kitchen Tool Set, Chili Red
Price: $29.99
3 used & new from $29.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, August 3, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is an attractive and useful group of five cooking tools designed for use with cookware having nonstick surfaces. They are large and hefty but have good balance with a comfortable grip and are a pleasure to use. On my kitchen scale, each weighs between 5 and 5 1/2 ounces. For comparison, my plastic Farberwares are under an ounce and half each!

What makes these unique is that they have a stainless steel bracket (I'd call it a stand) about midway along the handle that will keep the business end of the utensil off your kitchen counter or stovetop when you set it down. It can still drip, but it's not going to come in contact with anything before you use it again with whatever you're cooking. I like that--no kitchen cleaners in the Pasta Sauce.

I've used the spatula most often and have run it through the dishwasher four or five times. It cleans up nicely and suffers no damage. I've also used the solid and slotted spoons a few times each. I can detect no damage to my Calphalon and Anolon nonsticks whatsoever. Given that these tools are made by Silverstone, this is unsurprising.

My worry here is that the metal bracket could come in contact with the nonstick surface during use. If you were to drop the spatula, for instance, while flipping your "over easy," it's not impossible that the stainless steel piece could mar the pan's surface. But they are so comfortable and easy to hold that this doesn't seem like much of a possibility.

Another minor concern is that the metal bracket prevents these utensils from nesting together in a compact way. If you store your kitchen tools in a canister or similar kind of container rather than hanging them, they will require more space than their more conventional counterparts.

simplehuman Rectangular Step Can with Liner Pocket, 45 L/11.9 gallon (Grey Plastic)
Price: $79.99
8 used & new from $79.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, July 28, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a fine product. Unfortunately, the packaging is not very good. I notice that many of the other Amazon reviewers did not receive a lid, rendering the can useless. I was lucky--I got all the necessary parts. In my case, however, there was no printed material in the box--no instructions, no warranty card, nothing. The cardboard shipping box in which the Step Can arrived was too flimsy for the weight of the thing and had partially opened up. My paperwork probably escaped when that happened. I was able to work out how to assemble and use it by going to simplehuman's website and looking at the product videos available for this unit.

I find it to be a very well-made and well conceived item. The lid consists of two parts: A sort of "collar" that fits over the can and hides and secures the top of the trash bag that you've wrapped over the can's top edge, and the flip-up lid enclosed inside that collar. The lid is piston-damped. You open it by stepping on the pedal. When you release the pedal, instead of just falling on to the top of the can, the piston closes it slowly and noiselessly. The arrangement of the lid inside the collar also means that the can requires no additional clearance from the wall. You can push it into a corner as far as it will go and the lid will still be able to move through its range unimpeded. Mine is 24 3/4 inches tall with the lid closed. Add another 10 inches for the lid open. It's 18 1/2 inches wide, 12 3/4 inches deep.

It's all very stable. Stepping on the pedal causes absolutely no movement of the can other than the lid raising. It seems very durable.

It has a compartment into which you can stow a supply of simplehuman's trash bags. They provide you with a starter pack of their "Code K" bags and they are as high quality as the Step Can. They are very strong, not clingy and they are easy to use. Unfortunately, they are a little too pricey for me--23 bucks for 60 bags. The Target Tall Kitchen Bags that I'd been using with my old Rubbermaid Trash Can fit perfectly, are more economical and are strong enough, I think. (Although, as another reviewer has pointed out, the interior of the can has nooks and crannies and if a bag were to leak, clean-up might be difficult.) I can't store the Target bags in the can's built-in compartment, but I don't find that a serious drawback.

I don't know who is responsible for the poor quality packaging, Amazon or simplehuman. Partly for that reason, I make no star-rating deduction for the flimsy box and partly for the fact that the product itself (if you have all the parts) is excellent and I'm glad to own it.

V-LIGHT Full Spectrum Natural Daylight Effect Heavy-Duty Magnifier Lamp with Metal Clamp, Brushed Satin (VS103S)
Price: $64.99
2 used & new from $64.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, July 23, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Prior to receiving this lamp, I had been using Globe Electric 52061 Swing Arm Clip Lamp, Black, a similar "Architect" style desk lamp. I purchased that one because I wanted a desk lamp that would not take up space on my desk and that I could elevate high enough so that it would cast useful light on a large area of my desk. That lamp satisfied both requirements. This one does, as well, and then some!

I have it clamped to the middle of the back edge of my desk. The clamp is very solid and steady and the the lamp can be locked into it, so that it won't accidentally lift it out while its position is being adjusted. Thanks to the long swing arms, I am able to have the lamp set up so that the vertical distance from the surface of my desk up to the 22 watt circular fluorescent bulb (75-100w equivalent) is about 28 inches. The bulb is centered over my desk, about 15 inches in from its back edge. This arrangement allows me to have bright, useful illumination for the entire surface of the desk (which is 28" deep and 64" wide).

My PC keyboard, the printer, the phone and the area where I write with pen and paper are all very well lit. I have the shade tilted backward slightly so that the light from the bulb doesn't go directly into my eyes as I work. I also have tilted it slightly away from the PC's LCD screen to avoid reflections there. The upper arm and the bulb holder both have a mechanism that allows me to lock them into place so they won't shift, even if I bump into the lamp.

If this fixture were no more than that, I'd be satisfied. But just to sweeten the deal, it has a very large magnifying glass incorporated into it. When I need to thread a needle or tighten the tiny screws in the hinges of my reading glasses or read small print, it is a welcome aid to my tired old eyes.

This was the perfect solution for me. The lamp is well-made and seems durable.

One additional note: This lamp comes with the bulb in place and connected but with loose foam pads behind the bulb which, I presume, are there to protect it during shipping. They are easy to miss when setting up this fixture. I think it would be wise to remove them before use, as the bulb does get hot.

Wireless Earphones, Mengo Bumps Sport Sweat-Resistant Wireless Neckband Earphones For Running with Microphone (Bluetooth 4.1 & NFC) Chrome - Retail Packaging
Offered by Mengo Products
Price: $25.99
2 used & new from $25.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, July 17, 2015
For starters, both Mengo and I want to say that this item was sent to me for a nominal amount for reviewing purposes and that I was open to both positive and negative feedback regarding the product. Now that we have that out of the way, I can tell you that most of the feedback I have is positive. I love these!

For the last eight months or so, my "go to" headphones have been Koss Pro4S Full Size Studio Headphones, Black with Silver Trim. I'm not going to tell you that the Bumps are as good as those, but they put in a very credible performance. They can't go way down into the lower bass frequencies or way up into the high treble as well as the Koss can, but they do a pretty reasonable job, I think. And they are bright and faithful in the midrange. They are just surprisingly decent and quite clear. In addition to pop and classical music, I've also listened to an hour or so of an audiobook and found their performance on that assignment equally good.

Combine all this with their "go anywhere, do anything," capability and I think they are winners. I like to walk a mile or two every day. I wouldn't try to do that with full size headphones, but it's no challenge for the Bumps. They stay put comfortably and are are just unobtrusive enough so that you don't look like a Space Ranger, yet folks will know you're listening to something and won't try to start a conversation with you while you have these on. That was an issue for me when I did my walks with conventional wired earbuds. I'd have to yank them out of my ears to catch what was left of the first sentence spoken to me.

Pairing was no problem at all. The Bumps will tell you when you've powered on and they'll tell you when you've connected to Bluetooth. I mean that literally. The headset says, "Power on," and "Connected," at the appropriate times, as well as "Power off," and a couple of other phrases.

The internal rechargeable battery has good capacity. I've used the Bumps for about three to four hours so far, and they're still on their initial charge.

I have two minor quibbles. First, I wish that the semi-rigid neckband was just a tiny bit longer. It felt like it was pulling the earbuds backwards a bit when I had them comfortably seated in my ears. I had to really push it under my hair in the back to give myself enough slack. Maybe I have a big head, but I see others making similar comments, so perhaps Mengo could give us another half inch to work with when they make Rev. A.

Second, every time I'd touch the earphones to put them on or adjust them, I would inadvertently press one of the buttons. There isn't much room for Mengo to work with on this. After all, you want the earpieces to remain small, but perhaps a guard or a ridge around the buttons so that a more deliberate press is required is called for. If Amazon allowed half-star ratings, I'd deduct that much for these two issues, but they are not worth a full star penalty.

This is a fine product for what it is--a way to enjoy your audio entertainment while you get your exercise. If you're up for some serious music appreciation, then sit yourself down on a comfortable easy chair, get out your expensive, studio, over-the-ear headphones and enjoy. If, at the same time, you also need to get a little exercise, then you're going to have to make some concessions. With these Mengo Bumps, the concessions will be relatively small.

Akimbo Audiobook Player
Akimbo Audiobook Player
Price: $0.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Abandonware, July 11, 2015
This review is from: Akimbo Audiobook Player (App)
There have been no new versions of this App since 2011. It is clearly abandoned software. You can download only the Trial Version even when you are on this page for the Full Version. It does run but stops every few minutes to remind you that it's the Trial Version. If you try to upgrade, you come back here to the free Trial Version. There is no way that I can find to upgrade to the Full App.

It's kind of a pity, because this does seem to be a pretty well-thought-out and full-featured Audiobook Player with a nice interface. It hung up on me once after a few minutes and I couldn't get the Widget to work and resume the last book, but those just look like bug fixes to me, probably caused by the fact that I'm running a version of Android from 4 years after the last time Akimbo was maintained (Lollipop 5.0.2). You might have better luck if you're running an older Android, and maybe it will even allow you to upgrade, but I wouldn't count on it.

It's useless to me unfortunately, and I've uninstalled it.

3-IN-ONE 120070 Lock Dry Lube, 2.5 oz, Clear
3-IN-ONE 120070 Lock Dry Lube, 2.5 oz, Clear
Offered by KSCOSupply
Price: $9.54

5.0 out of 5 stars No squeaks!, July 8, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My home was built in the '70s and all of its hinges squeak. Storm door, front door, kitchen cabinets, bi-fold doors in front of the washer and dryer, and so forth. It was a symphony of creaks and squawks around here. Until I got a can of this product!

I have always preferred "dry" lubricants over regular lubricating oil. I think they attract less dirt and dust and are not affected if exposed to the elements--cold in particular. It used to be that you'd get a flexible tube of graphite particles and you'd "puff" them on to their target by squeezing the tube sharply. This dry lube works differently. It's wet!

The lubricant particles are suspended in a volatile liquid which allows you to spray them where you need them. Then the liquid evaporates quickly, leaving behind just the dry lubricant.

The stuff worked great! All squeaks have been silenced and all hinges move as though they were ball-bearings. I keep accidentally slamming my kitchen cabinet doors because they now move so freely!

You must shake the can vigorously before you spray in order to suspend the dry lubricating particles in the liquid propellant. It has a metal ball inside to facilitate this process. It comes with a thin tube that you can plug into the spray nozzle in order to accurately direct the spray. The tube then stores in a groove in the cap. It's a little ungainly there, I would have preferred to be able to store it along the side of the can, but that's just a quibble.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20