Profile for Paul Burney > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 14

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Paul Burney "Dad of two" RSS Feed (Boston, MA United States)

Page: 1 | 2
Secret Evil
Secret Evil
Price: $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic album!, October 3, 2014
This review is from: Secret Evil (MP3 Music)
Jessica Hernandez will be huge someday. She already has an incredibly passionate and soulful voice. She just needs the breakout album, and I hope that "Secret Evil" will be it. It's full of different kinds of songs, so the general genre is a bit hard to pin down. They mostly have a bit of a retro feel, full of soul, but at the same time are modern and fully embracing the present, with lots of rock. I never just listen to one track but always the album fully through. That said, I do have favorites: Tired Oak, Dead Brains, and Run Run Run are the ones I find myself singing around the house. I had the pleasure of meeting Jessica herself when she played in Boston in Fall of 2013. She was so warm and friendly, and the passion she has for music effused from her. Can't wait to see what else she has in store for the future!

Complètement fou
Complètement fou
Offered by SONY Music Entertainment Downloads LLC.
Price: $13.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Fantastique!, October 3, 2014
This review is from: Complètement fou (MP3 Music)
I've been a big Yelle fan for a couple years now and found her "Safari Disco Club" brilliant. "Completement fou" is a fantastic follow-up. Since buying it upon its release, I've been listening to it on repeat nearly non-stop; I love it. Full of very dance-able tracks of electro-pop infused with techno and disco love, the album is a joy to listen to. Here are some highlights:

Completement fou - Great synthesizer hook, other-worldly sounds, and driving percussion.

Bas$$in - Awesome trance like echo sequence

Coca sans beulles - My favorite track on the album. Has an 80s feel, like Duran Duran mixed with an upbeat pop song.

Moteur action - A fun little song with a driving conceit

Florence en Italie - Another favorite. It a simply charming and enchanting ballad

Bouquet Final - A haunting song that sticks with me, long after its done playing

Note: My French isn't great, so I can't really comment on the quality of the lyrics, but it doesn't impede the enjoyment of the music.

Yamaha RX-V375 5.1 Channel 3D A/V Home Theater Receiver (Black)
Yamaha RX-V375 5.1 Channel 3D A/V Home Theater Receiver (Black)
Price: $219.95
19 used & new from $185.97

3.0 out of 5 stars Does not upconvert to HDMI, October 14, 2013
I had purchased this item from another retailer who assured me that it could be used as an HDMI switch, allowing me to connect all of my new HDMI devices (BluRay, Cable Box, DVR) as well as my older devices (Wii, DVD player) and have the one output to the big screen HDTV. Unfortunately, that is not the case. Only the HDMI inputs will be sent over the HDMI output. It sends all of the older video outputs via a Composite or Component output, which would mean having additional cables going to the television and then having do deal with switching inputs on two devices. Since I'm not looking for all of the extra options, I'm returning the device and ordering an HDMI converter switch instead. Just wanted to write this to save anyone else a similar hassle. This information is not readily available other than going through the full manual and reading the small print.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 30, 2014 4:06 AM PDT

Lego Star Wars III: the Clone Wars - Nintendo Wii
Lego Star Wars III: the Clone Wars - Nintendo Wii
Price: $14.96
82 used & new from $4.09

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, June 18, 2011
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
I really, really, really wanted to like this game. My 8-year-old daughter and I are huge Star Wars fans and played Lego Star Wars (I and II) on PS2 for hours on end. When we found out that Lego Star Wars III was comging out for Wii, we pre-ordered it and couldn't wait to get started. Unfortunately, our enthusiasm fell off sharply after playing it for a while. There are many reasons for this, but here are some of the primary ones:

- Unnecessary complexity. They've added "additional force powers," but that usually means puzzles where you have to use the force to arrange things. This however, is not easy to do and it winds up taking so long that my daughter just wants to turn off the game.

- Unintuitive battle. There are a lot of "clever" battles where you need different characters to do different things but sometimes it's just ridiculous. There's a monster near Grevious' lair that you have to have two characters hold down, then have a third character jump on to attack. I would never have figured it out without a video walkthrough site.

- It's too dark. It's not the subject matter, it's just literally too dark in the game. It's as though the developers' brightness settings were out of whack when they developed the game. It's often hard to make out the details and to figure out what you're doing.

- The split screen doesn't work well. Yes, the earlier games had difficulties where players sometimes got left behind because both couldn't fit on the screen, but the new split screen views just don't work well. It seems you always wish you could see just on the other side of that dividing line. It would be nice to be able to turn it off completely rathter than just choosing horizontal, vertical, or dynamic.

- Stories aren't interesting. This isn't the game designers' fault because the stories in the Clone Wars cartoon just aren't as compelling as those from the movie series. Instead of going from scene to scene, you feel like you're grinding through the same room you were just in before.

The end result is a game that is just isn't very fun, at least for our family. There are other interesting features in the game, such as a RTS type version of the game where you capture your opponent's bases, but I wish the main part of the game itself provided better play. :-/
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 14, 2014 1:37 PM PST

Star Wars Episode III Revenge of the Sith - PlayStation 2
Star Wars Episode III Revenge of the Sith - PlayStation 2
Offered by Quick Buys
Price: $23.85
259 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game for Clone Wars fans!, January 29, 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
My daughter (age 5) and I are huge fans of the new Clone Wars animated series as well as the 6 movies (yes, even the first three and even Jar Jar Binks). I heard about the Wii Lightsaber Duels game and was resigned to retiring my ancient PS2 when I found this game for sale used.

It's great for the lightsaber duels part where you can be many Clone Wars characters including Obi-Wan, Anakin, Dooku, Mace Windu and Grevious. You also have the choice of playing Old Ben Kenobi from Episode IV and Darth Vader. Additionally there are two characters unique to this game and one of them is a girl which my daughter really appreciates.

The campaign mode is also fun for you to try out your different lightsaber moves and force powers while trashing the "clankers," turning them into "scrap metal." There's also a cooperative mode where two players together fight through various scenes. My daughter and I enjoy that but not as much as fighting each other.

There are codes available online that allow you unlock all of the players and scenes if you don't want to play through the whole campaign to be able to use them (I sure didn't but I may at some point).

If you are a Star Wars fan and want to feel like you're in the movie, I'd highly recommend this game.

The Little Things
The Little Things
Price: $0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome song for a Boingo fan!, January 29, 2009
This review is from: The Little Things (MP3 Music)
I've been a huge Oingo Boingo fan for decades, but of course I'm mostly resigned to listening to my old cassettes since the band broke up more than a decade ago. I was very pleasantly surprised to hear Danny Elfman's vocals as I watched the pretty cool Wanted DVD.

The song is great, hard guitar riffs and pounding drums (no Boingo horn section though), and of course Elfman's awesome voice. I bought the MP3 here on Amazon and have been very pleased with my purchase.

Little Voice
Little Voice
Offered by SONY Music Entertainment Downloads LLC.
Price: $5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Album, October 23, 2008
This review is from: Little Voice (MP3 Music)
This is a fantastic album. Definitely buy it for the "Love Song" track, but stay listening for the rest. Sara's voice is sweet, clean and powerful without being over-powering. You can feel the passion with which she sings throughout the entire album. Standout tracks include the aforementioned "Love Song," "One Sweet Love," "Come Round Soon" and "Fairytale."

Star Wars Clone Wars Animated Action Figure No. 9 Ahsoka Tano with Rotta the Huttlet
3 used & new from $45.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great toy for my little girl, October 23, 2008
My 5 year-old daughter has gotten really into Star Wars in general after seeing Asoka in the commercials for the Clone Wars movie. This figure was a perfect start for her collection. It's a bit more petite than other similar figures but it's pretty durable.

My daughter loves playing Star Wars now. I recommend also getting a Clone Wars style Anakin Skywalker, the R2D2 with lights and sounds, and a General Grievious or Asajj Ventress figure to use with Asoka - that will give you plenty of fodder for adventures.

Please note that this figure is currently (October 2008) available in big-box stores and online auctioners for a much more reasonable price than from specialty dealers here.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 4, 2009 10:03 AM PST

Matias Products FK202SB Tactile Pro 2.0 USB Keyboard - Silver and Black
Matias Products FK202SB Tactile Pro 2.0 USB Keyboard - Silver and Black

2.0 out of 5 stars Good feel, but several annoyances, January 22, 2008
I've always been a big fan of the old Apple Extended II Keyboard and I've been using an Kensington Studioboard at home for several years. I decided to try this keyboard for work and I've been disappointed.

If you like the old-school, noisy keyboards, this one won't disappoint you in that regard. The keys feel nice, have a great tactile response, good travel, etc. It's really a pleasure to type on. The white Mac version has the alternate characters printed on the keycaps which is helpful.

Here are the problems I've found:

1) There are "ghosting" issues when you type too quickly. For example, if I type "ice" too quickly, it adds an extra , onto the end. Typing slowly, this isn't a problem, but it affects me all the time.

(I also verified something I read elsewhere: if you hold the right shift key and type "OP", instead of the P you get odd control characters)

Evidently this is because some keys share the same electrical paths and you only notice it when you type too quickly. People on the net say it was worse on the previous version of this keyboard.

2) The USB connection takes two cables and seems to be "stuffed into" the back. Basically, it seems too large to fit where it is placed. Also, there is only one available USB port on the keyboard so you lose ports rather than gain them.

3) There isn't a Caps Lock light so it's hard to tell if you are TYPING or just typing.

If I had purchased this keyboard on my own dime, I would have returned it. It's really too overpriced for all the flaws it has.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 21, 2008 7:49 AM PDT

Esta Es Mi Vida
Esta Es Mi Vida
17 used & new from $3.84

5.0 out of 5 stars Incredible Album by Passionate Musicians, November 19, 2007
This review is from: Esta Es Mi Vida (Audio CD)
This CD is fabulous. It has a similar sound to Shakira's "Pies Descalzos" album, but Joy's vocals are stronger and hauntingly passionate. Their first single, Espacio Sideral, is stellar if you'll excuse the pun, but the rest are excellent as well. This is a great album to have looping on your iPod while at work. You'll probably like it even if you don't speak Spanish.

Si usted fue desilusionado cuando Shakira cambio su estilo de rock para un estilo pop norteamericano, este disco es para usted. La voz de Joy es fuerte pero dulce a la vez y las canciones son fantásticas. ¡Que éxito!

Page: 1 | 2