Profile for Tommy Gun > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 18

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Tommy Gun RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
StudioPRO SPK10-018 1000-Watt Photo Studio Continuous Portrait Video Lighting Kit with Light Stand, Five 45-Watt Daylight Bulbs, and Soft Box (Black)
Offered by Fovitec
Price: $69.95
2 used & new from $69.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Bright, even light! [updated], January 8, 2015
Mine came with instructions, and it was fairly easy to put together, although it's supposed to have velcro straps that go over the poles, but mine did not. All four corners had the same "pocket", which meant I had to flex the poles to fit them in, but it wasn't an issue.

The stand can raise very high, but I don't think I'd trust it to not fall over above ~6 ft. Get some sandbags if necessary. The light output is great! For this price, it's very even lighting. One bulb was a little bent, but still works. See my photos for various stages of assembly. You can see the inner diffuser in one. One photo is intentionally dark so you can judge the evenness of the light. There are NO other lights on in these photos.

Yo-yo photos: When the yo-yo is on the far right of the table, that's full power (5 bulbs on). I kept the exact same camera settings and turned off two bulbs, and moved the yo-yo to the center (3 bulbs on). With the yo-yo on the left side, that's the center bulb only (1 bulb on). Hope these help! Obviously I could have changed camera settings to expose properly in all three photos, but I was trying to show the relative difference. This light is very bright in real life!

I will be using this for a photo shoot in a week, and will update if I have issues.

UPDATE: I used this with a few other lights at the photo shoot, and it was great! This was my key light for portrait photos. I also used it for a video interview at the same shoot, and everything turned out better than I hoped!

Sony 64GB SDXC Class 10 UHS-1 R40 Memory Card (SF64UY/TQMN)
Sony 64GB SDXC Class 10 UHS-1 R40 Memory Card (SF64UY/TQMN)
Price: Click here to see our price
56 used & new from $19.20

1.0 out of 5 stars Not fast enough for HD video., November 25, 2013
Was not fast enough for my T3i camera in video mode, despite its claim that it's perfect for DSLR video. I returned it and got another, which had the same problem. I went with a PNY 60MB/s card, and it works great. The quality seems to be inconsistent on this; you might get lucky.

Kickin Tricks VCD NED®
Kickin Tricks VCD NED®
DVD ~ Arne Dixon

3.0 out of 5 stars Does not contain the whole video! Buy the VHS instead., November 8, 2013
This review is from: Kickin Tricks VCD NED® (Video CD)
If you buy this on VHS, it's about 30 minutes long. This VCD is about half that for some reason. The quality is also not the best, so I would go for the VHS if you have a VCR.

As for the video itself, it's great! Classic yo-yo tricks.

Samsung HT-F5500W 3D Blu-Ray Home Theater System (2013 Model)
Samsung HT-F5500W 3D Blu-Ray Home Theater System (2013 Model)
Offered by superior sales
Price: $439.95
6 used & new from $300.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Tons of amazing features! [updated 2014], November 8, 2013
[UPDATES: See my updates at the bottom of this review.]

It drives me crazy when manufacturers don't post photos of the back of the unit, so I posted a user photo showing all the ports. I got this because I wanted surround sound, and built-in Netflix/DVD/Blu-ray meant I wouldn't need to turn on my Xbox 360 or PC. But let me tell you about all the cool features it has, and what you can do with it:

- Play Blu-rays and DVDs (which get upscaled -- personally, I hate upscaling, but other people like it).
- Stream Netflix, Hulu Plus, Youtube, etc. It even has a web browser. Use wifi or the LAN port.
- Connect devices via bluetooth. Play music from your iPhone through these speakers, wirelessly. You can even click a button in the iPhone/iPad youtube app, and it'll open the Youtube app on the Samsung and play the video on your TV! You can then browse videos on your iPad and they'll play on the TV (it makes browsing easier). I probably won't use this much, but it's cool.
- Play videos from your PC/DLNA device wirelessly with AllShare. I'm not interested in this, but you might be.
- Plug in external hard drives or thumbdrives via USB and play videos. It even plays Matroska files (.mkv), which surprised me. It supports FAT32 *and* NTFS file systems! Microsoft's own Xbox 360 doesn't even support NTFS! Update: I tested an external NTFS hard drive with .mp4, .mov, and .mpg files. Works perfectly!
- Simulate surround sound on stereo videos. It has a lot of audio modes that will use the rear speakers even if the source material doesn't have it.
- Level out the volume. It has two options: Smart Volume keeps the audio level when the scene changes or you switch channels. Dynamic Range Control boosts dialog and turns down loud noises. Both of these settings can be turned off. I'm not sure how well these work, but I have them both on.
- Sync your audio. Because of the video lag, you might hear the audio before the video. I set mine to 50ms delay, and it's perfect. This depends on your setup.
- Wireless rear speakers, kinda. They plug into a powered hub, but you can just hide that behind your couch or whatever. The point is that there are no wires running across the room to the TV. The hub turns on automatically.
- NO "vampire power." Both the main unit and the rear speakers use no power when turned off (stand-by mode). I tested this with my Kill-a-watt, because it worried me.
- It turns on your TV automatically when on the Smart Hub app screen (at least with my setup, below. But the remote can be programmed for your TV, too). This might be annoying if you only want to stream audio via bluetooth, however. If the unit is still set to bluetooth when you turn it on, the TV won't turn on. If I turn off my TV when the Samsung is on HDMI, the Samsung turns off.

Here's my setup: I have my devices plugged directly into the Samsung via HDMI, then have HDMI out to my TV. If you go from your TV to the Samsung, your TV will probably downmix the audio to 2.1. This avoids the problem. All audio is always 5.1 (if supported), and I don't need to press any buttons. I don't use my TV speakers (why would you?). Video games sound great! You can hear enemies behind you. I'm not an audiophile, but I'm completely satisfied with the quality.

If you have more than one device, simply buy a switcher like this one: Portta PET0301S 3x1 HDMI Switcher with 3D Support -- it'll automatically switch when you turn a new device on. I hated having to change inputs on my TV for everything.

CONS:

- It's a bit slow when starting Netflix/Hulu, but still faster than turning on my Xbox, logging in, etc. Edit: I've timed it, and it takes 40-50 seconds to start those apps after the main unit is turned on (main unit turns on quickly).
- It crashes sometimes (usually when switching apps). I have the latest firmware.
- It doesn't have dedicated buttons for inputs. You have to cycle through HDMI, optical, FM, bluetooth, etc. with a single button on the remote. That's annoying, because I only use two.
- Speakers are shiny plastic (but whatever, this thing is pretty cheap). I think they look fine, but I would prefer it if they weren't so shiny.
- Proprietary plugs for the speakers (see photo)
- No headphone jack! This was important to me, but none of these systems seem to have them.
- Unit is slow to respond to the remote. It's better to hold the "mute" button, because a single press never does it.

There is definitely room for improvement, but it's great for the price and features. The convenience is great! I would have to turn on a receiver anyway, so this lets me cut down on devices by having so much built-in, which also saves power.

***Update 12/8/2013:***
I haven't experienced crashes lately, but the Hulu app freezes all the time! When it gets to a commercial break, it will just be frozen on a black screen. I'll have to quit the app, then restart the app, which usually won't resume where I was -- meaning I'll have to fast-forward through the whole episode, which takes a long time. If you watch a lot of Hulu, I definitely don't recommend using this app if you have an alternative. Based on the poor reviews on the Hulu iPad app, and my experience on a PC, I'm guessing the blame goes to Hulu, not Samsung. The Netflix app works quite well. I still highly recommend this for everything else.

One other tip -- turn this unit on BEFORE any other devices like an Xbox or Playstation, otherwise the gaming console will default to stereo. If the Samsung is on first, my Xbox 360 detects 5.1, and everything is fine.

***Update 2/10/2014:***
I took off a star because of some annoying bugs that are still present (there have been around 3 updates since I first got it). The wireless rear hub doesn't always turn off -- one time I checked the next day and it was STILL on, sucking up power. Other times the wireless hub "thinks" it's connected (solid blue light), but the main unit tells me to "check wireless speakers" and no sound comes out of them. It takes a bunch of unplugging and replugging to get them synced again.

***Update 8/11/2014:***
I took off another star because the wireless hub issues are still present, and happen often. The main reason I bought this unit was for surround sound, and that's what I'm having the most issues with. The wireless hub stays on pretty often (I moved the wireless hub to a position where I can easily see the light), and uses ~7 watts--all night if I don't notice it. I found out in the manual how to "re-sync" the hub ("ID Set"):

Turn off the main unit, unplug the hub. Press "0135" on the remote and the unit should give you a message on the front display. Plug in the wireless hub and press a pin into the "ID Set" hole on the back for 5 seconds. It should start blinking. Then turn on the main unit.

Those are a lot of steps to resync, and the fact that the hub has a blue light even when it's not actually working just compounds the problem. I did the resync, had it working again, then turned it off for a bit. When I played a video game an hour later, it wasn't working again. Luckily I was able to simply unplug the hub and plug it back in to get it to work, but that doesn't always work.

This is way more trouble than it's worth. It's possible that my unit is defective in some way, and most of them don't have these problems. But now I wish I could swap this out for a WIRED unit if it would solve these problems.
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 14, 2014 8:57 AM PDT

C2G / Cables to Go 40634 3.5mm Stereo Male to 3.5mm Mono Female Adapter (Metallic Silver)
Offered by Express Goods
Price: $3.66
18 used & new from $1.71

1.0 out of 5 stars Loud noise when jiggled, so it's useless, August 16, 2013
As others mentioned, the female end of this is a bit loose. When you jiggle your cable, it creates a loud popping noise (if you're using this to record sound from a mono microphone, that is). The sound actually clips, it's that loud, and hurts my ears when I wear headphones. It's just not worth the risk recording with this. I hoped this would save me the trouble of cloning a mono source, but this could completely ruin your audio! My microphone is fine on its own and doesn't cause this problem. I also tested it with other microphones, and the same thing happens.

Ez Squeeze Toothpaste Dispenser (Colors vary)
Ez Squeeze Toothpaste Dispenser (Colors vary)
Offered by fortunatefinds4u
Price: $7.90
12 used & new from $0.76

4.0 out of 5 stars I wish I had known about these years ago!, February 27, 2013
It's funny how something so simple can make such a big difference! My life was fine before I got the Ez Squeeze Toothpaste Dispenser, but was I truly happy? After a long day at work, the last thing I needed was to fumble with a lumpy tube of toothpaste. Who needs the added stress? One day I got so mad at the unevenness of the tube, that while I was squeezing the end, it flew out of my hands and hit our cat! Well he freaked out and jumped straight up, knocking the TV off the stand (review of that forthcoming), which fell on top of my five-year-old!

After a few years of therapy and searching, I found this product, and LOVE IT! It winds the tube up easily, and squeezes every last bit out of the end. You'll save a little money on toothpaste, which can go towards other home improvements or pain killers. You also don't have to worry about it unwinding on its own, and the knob is very easy (and fun!) to turn. What's not to like? An easy 4 stars out of 5. I wish I had bought this a long time ago! If only the colors weren't random and it could bring my daughter back.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 28, 2013 8:56 PM PDT

Odyssey CTBC2060 Carpeted Folding Dj Table With Adjustable Leg System
Odyssey CTBC2060 Carpeted Folding Dj Table With Adjustable Leg System
Price: $135.99
7 used & new from $135.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for my treadmill desk, but could be better., February 26, 2013
I got this to use as a treadmill desk (first a standing desk), and it's great! I did need to buy some extra blocks to raise it up even higher, though. I chose this one because it's tall, and looks cool.

With the legs all the way extended, it is wobbly. I have it up against a wall on the left side, so that helps. It also doesn't seem terribly strong, but I don't have my computer monitors resting on this table; I have them on separate arms. I just have keyboard, mouse, speakers, etc. on it.

The carpet isn't as easy to clean as a normal desk, as you would expect, so keep that in mind. You'll need to vacuum it. And I would be VERY careful about food and drinks near this thing. But overall I'm happy with it for my uses. I have no DJing experience so I can't speak to that!

I added tons of close-up photos in the user gallery above, so check those out if you want to see what the table looks like. The stock photo is terrible.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 21, 2014 2:26 PM PST

LDR 502 3202 Shower Arm And Flange, 8-Inch, Chrome Plated Brass
LDR 502 3202 Shower Arm And Flange, 8-Inch, Chrome Plated Brass
Price: $10.99
7 used & new from $4.35

5.0 out of 5 stars All metal, just what I needed, December 13, 2012
Not a whole lot to say here, but it's all metal, and fit perfectly. Now I finally have a new shower head! Be wary of pipes that say "chrome finish" -- they might be plastic, with chrome paint on them. This one is solid.

Umbra Metalla 3.5-Gallon Polypropylene Waste Can, Metallic Bronze
Umbra Metalla 3.5-Gallon Polypropylene Waste Can, Metallic Bronze
Price: $16.98
9 used & new from $15.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Bigger than I expected, but looks just like the photo, December 13, 2012
Mine is the exact same color/style as the photo (dark), so no complaints there. Most of my stuff is black, and this fits in quite well. Be sure to measure if you're concerned about the size -- it's not as big as a kitchen trashcan, but bigger than your typical "bedroom" waste bins, if that makes sense.

Logitech Corded Mouse (M500)
Logitech Corded Mouse (M500)
Price: $27.99
32 used & new from $15.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it, but the hyper scroll is a deal-breaker -- it's cold!, October 25, 2012
This is almost the perfect mouse for me. The one feature I cannot stand is the hyper scroll wheel. The feature itself (being able to quickly scroll) is useful, but that means the wheel is made out of metal for weight. During the winter, it gets very cold! Now, maybe I'm just overly sensitive, but it's a weird sensation on the sides of your finger when scrolling, kind of "stinging." This is an issue I haven't seen anyone else mention, so I'll happily accept that I'm crazy and it's just me, but I wanted to just throw out that warning so you can consider if that would bug you.

I actually just bought the old version of this mouse, the MX400, because it's identical except without the hyper scroll. So you know I like this mouse otherwise!

Page: 1 | 2