Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for John W. Matney > Reviews

Browse

John W. Matney's Profile

Customer Reviews: 96

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

John W. Matney RSS Feed (Clayton, California)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10
John Gill: Master of Rock (Climbing Classics)
John Gill: Master of Rock (Climbing Classics)
by Pat Ament
27 used & new from $11.74

5.0 out of 5 stars A Classic, July 23, 2016
The third version of this classic biography of John Gill, the mythical and legendary climber is Pat Ament's best. Unlike other glorified guidebooks that pose as biographies, the work presents a three demsional portrait of a Master.

Of Love and Stone
Of Love and Stone
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Bittersweet and illuminating, May 29, 2016
This review is from: Of Love and Stone (Kindle Edition)
This had to be difficult to write, but it was a great read. I appreciated the mention of my cousin at the beginning of the book. I also think the author did a fine job of not demonizing his ex wife. The climbing chapters were great and I liked how the character of his climbing partners were filled out. Overall a fine piece of writing.

Panasonic ER-GN30-K Nose Ear Hair Trimmer
Panasonic ER-GN30-K Nose Ear Hair Trimmer
Price: $12.99
142 used & new from $10.25

1.0 out of 5 stars Another not so great made in China product, May 12, 2016
Another not so great made in China product. Like many of the reviewers here, the trimmer worked fine for a couple of months which on an average of once a week, equals 8 times I used the product before it stopped working. I've been a fan of Panasonic products for years-stereos, tvs, dvd and dvr players. This is the first product of Panasonic that sucked. The awful thing about these use and throw products from China is that it won't be recycled and will just go to the landfill.

Sixty Meters to Anywhere
Sixty Meters to Anywhere
by Brendan Leonard
Price: $12.80
41 used & new from $9.57

5.0 out of 5 stars Steve Prefontaine once said-"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift, April 26, 2016
Steve Prefontaine once said-"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice the gift."

Brendan Leonard has the gift of story telling. In this book, he tells the story of his fall and subsequent climb-both metaphorically and literally. I do not trust anyone who has never known despair. I don't understand how anyone could. Mr. Leonard weaves his climbing history with his drinking cliff diving. Often funny and tragic at the same time. He stood on the razors edge, between falling into the abyss of alcoholism and redemption. I am very thankful that he is still with us, writing his great stories. I look forward for his future writings. Leonard did not waste his gift.

Metolius Simulator 3D Training Board (Black/White Swirl)
Metolius Simulator 3D Training Board (Black/White Swirl)
Offered by Backcountry
Price: $78.95
5 used & new from $61.35

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great new toy!, April 20, 2016
I've been climbing less than 6 months and like most climbers, got a bit obsessive. I thought-"I have a garage, it's raining, I want to climb something!" So I looked around and saw the Metolius 3D and 70 bucks later, was busy cutting a piece of pine wood, digging through the tool box for some deck screws and a half an hour later, the board was mounted on the wall above the door between the garage and the living room. Ah, but now the fun begins. Using the ever present ipad, I located a 10 minute beginner workout for the 3D on YouTube. Oh so simple right?

Simple yes, east no! Quickly discovered that trying to hold onto the slopers with my poor finger strength almost landed me flat on my back! Whew! close one. The deep pockets were good for 4-5 seconds hang time, the jugs I can hold onto all day (just ask my wife!). After the end of the workout, said forearms were trembling. Why yes, that IS a good workout.

In short-get this board, man up and figure out how to use a drill, stud finder (plenty of those on Craigslist) and a screwdriver and start hangboarding! You'll love it!

Forests, Alligators, Battlefields: My Journey through the National Parks of the South
by Danny Bernstein
Price: $16.00
25 used & new from $10.41

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a Lonely Planet, you'll be welcome here………………….., March 13, 2016
To many non-southerners, the South is a raw wound, remembered for its open racial hatred, storm battered cities and ill-performing schools. To other non-southerners, the South is their recollection of the beautiful prose of the recently deceased Pat Conroy or further back, the smooth, perfect run on sentences of its Master, William Faulkner.

But to Southerners, things are much less obvious and simple as the above assumptions would suggest. It is slow to develop, like making gumbo, an all day process whereby, the cook, or in this case, the author, Danny Bernstein, slowly adds ingredients to the mix. At one point, speaking with and learning from the people she encounters, people, not stereotypes, she provides an illumination of the textures of the south. The South, is not a smooth piece of ivory colored linen. Rather, it is a quilt with some patches that are smooth, while others are raised, some colors bright as the Miami Beach mid-day sun and dimer and subtle colors such as are found and as described by Ms. Bernstein in the everglades.

In a point and shoot world as exemplified by the Lonely Planet process of touristy, Ms. Bernstein has given readers, the opportunity to explore a part of this country worth knowing. But, just as it takes time to make a lasting friendship or even gumbo, remember to take your time reading Ms. Bernstein’s travels to and around the National Parks of the South.

Patagonia Men's Rover Trail Running Shoe,Feather Grey,8.5 M US
Patagonia Men's Rover Trail Running Shoe,Feather Grey,8.5 M US
Offered by TNF Addict

4.0 out of 5 stars I can think of no better self advertisement than these shoes, December 31, 2015
As a newbie climber, I am of course, fascinated with all things climbing. That there was such a thing as an "approach shoe" was a surprise and a revelation! Without a hint of embarrassment, I now can mantle up and over walls, stem between taller walls and balance on railroad tracks in my approach shoes safe in the knowledge that I am training for climbing. Short of wearing a tee shirt with a big logo of Black Diamond or Scarpa, I can think of no better self advertisement than these shoes. Oh, and they are very comfortable as well!

La Sportiva Mythos Vibram XS Edge Climbing Shoe - Men's
La Sportiva Mythos Vibram XS Edge Climbing Shoe - Men's
Price: $134.35 - $140.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Made in Italia with pride., December 22, 2015
I'm a 60 year old newbie climber. Took some lessons and spend 1-2 days in the gym on the wall or bouldering. The synthetic rental shoes I used the first time just killed my feet. So with that in mind, I hauled myself over to the REI and spent an hour trying on shoes. These were the winners. The reviews are accurate-the soft leather will stretch after 3-4 hours of climbing. So I bought one size down (7.5 US size) and by the 2nd day of climbing, the fit was tight, but I didn't have the urge to yank them off after I came off the wall. The rubber outsole was stiff enough so I could stand on the smallest of toeholds and the sole was sticky enough so smearing worked well too. I'm pretty sure that wearing these on granite would trash the shoes in no time. Still, I won't be ready for outdoor climbing until the summer and these will work well for now. Finally, the price at $ 135 initially seemed high, but then I spend as much or more for running shoes and they're not made of nice leather.

Salomon Men's X-Scream Trail Running Shoe
Salomon Men's X-Scream Trail Running Shoe
Price: $66.00 - $127.08

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Shoe to have in your arsenal, November 11, 2015
I've had a pair of these for almost a year. I've run some trails with these and the rest of the runs were on pavement. The last is narrow, so if you have wide feet, these won't work for you. There is a significant drop, similar to what you'd find in the so-called "minimalist" running shoes/slippers. This shoe has a decent amount of a midsole, plenty for short to mid length road runs. Where this shoe shines is a racing flat. Almost as light as a regular road racing flat, the smidge of extra cushioning will feel great for a 1/2 marathon on down. I like to wear these when I am doing a run commute to my office which is about 6-8 miles depending on which station I get off. Currently these shoes are selling for less than $70.00, making them a bargain.

Salomon Men's Agile Half Zip Mid Jacket, Black, Medium
Salomon Men's Agile Half Zip Mid Jacket, Black, Medium

5.0 out of 5 stars Like all the Salomon running gear I've purchased over the ..., November 9, 2015
Like all the Salomon running gear I've purchased over the years, this jacket is light, warm and very well designed. No surprise that Killian Jornet is a long time Salomon sponsored athlete.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10