Profile for Heath Buckmaster > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 295

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Heath Buckmaster "_heath_" RSS Feed (Sacramento, CA USA)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
NUMI Organic Tea Capsules, Moroccan Mint, 16 Count
NUMI Organic Tea Capsules, Moroccan Mint, 16 Count
Price: $18.24
2 used & new from $18.24

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a strong tea, and in a very wasteful container, April 14, 2015
Numi tea K-cups in the flavour of Moroccan Mint

The positive:
Aroma - the tea smells wonderful during brewing and as you're enjoying the product. The minty smell is pleasing while not overpowering. I've had mint tea before that can double as a decongestant - this tea doesn't. It's mild and pleasing but not overwhelming or what I would describe as "powerful mint" scent.

What concerns me:
There's a lot of plastic waste in these cups. Inside the translucent cup you'll see the small tea bag. If you look at some of the better coffee pods for Keurig style machines you'll find some that do not use a plastic cup at all - it's just the coffee inside a mesh filter. There is no real practical reason for these cups to have the plastic "shell" - they only need the tea bag style interior and your results will be identical. That's because the water isn't hanging out inside the cup steeping...it's being pressurized right through it into your tea cup or mug. So to me, there's a lot of waste here because most people won't take the time to follow the printed instructions to remove the foil top and recycle the plastic. People are going to just grab it and toss it.

I also have to agree with many other reviewers that the tea is VERY weak. I've tried it on small, medium, and large and the taste is just above flavoured water. Now, I don't always have to have strong tea, but you can get the same quality by putting a few fresh mint leaves in hot water and steeping them. There doesn't seem to be much added value in this product beyond what you can do yourself with a fresh sprig of mint and water.

If you're looking for a bold tea, this isn't it. If you're looking for a very mild mint-ish tea, then this will work fine for you. I'm giving this product a middle of the road rating not because of the strength of the tea (because YOU might prefer the more mild style) but for the product waste as the primary detractor of one star.

Olay Fresh Effects Clear Skin 1-2-3 Acne Solution System Kit
Olay Fresh Effects Clear Skin 1-2-3 Acne Solution System Kit
Price: $19.99
6 used & new from $18.50

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice fresh scent, easy to use, products work well, packaging is a nightmare., April 1, 2015
What you get:
3 products in one package: Acne deep scrub, Spot/Blemish control, and a "Mattifier"
The deep scrub is meant for daily cleansing for your entire face / neck; the spot zinger is to put specifically on a blemish; the mattifier is a lotion-like product designed to minimize visible pores.

Let's start with the packaging - it's not frustration-free.
Each of the containers inside the box is attached and held in place by a 1"x1" sticky piece of foam. The products are difficult to remove from the box and get away from the stick foam, and in the case of the mattifier container I was left with foam still stuck to the bottom of the product when I finally got it out of the box. I'm not sure that I've ever seen product packaging this unfriendly. The packaging doesn't impact the function of the product, but it's important to note that you will not have an easy time removing them from the box.

Product 1 - Acne Hater Deep Scrub
This is a greenish gel product that smells sort of like fruit cocktail with mint. You get your warm water going, and massage it all over your face and neck. I've done this both in the shower and at the sink. The product smells very nice and goes on easily. The abrasives in the gel are just the right texture so as to provide the scrubbing power, but not feel like you're scratching your face. It was easy to work up into a light lather and then wash off in warm water. My preference is to do this in the shower so that I can completely wash it off my face. At the sink it took a lot more time.
After finishing, the scent remained and was pleasant, and my face had a cooling sensation.

Product 2 - Spot Zinger
This is a white thick cream in a small tube that you put directly onto blemishes. It's go salicylic acid just like every other acne or pimple treatment out there. It goes on clean and massages in without an oily residue. In terms of product performance I always compare these things to Burt's Bees Blemish Stick, which is a product that I have a constant stock of because it's just that darn good. Burt's Bees will get rid of a blemish is less than 24-hours in most cases. This product does seem to work well but took a little longer to clear up a spot I had on my face as compared to my preferred product. It didn't fail...it just wasn't as fast or effective. It didn't have a negative smell - but I guess smelled like many other acne creams on the market.

Product 3 - Swirled Mattifier
I've never heard this term before. Basically what it's supposed to do is reduce redness and pores so that your skin looks smoother and shiny and whatever the heck mattifier really means. My nose has some visible pores so that's where I started. This is a pump bottle with a thick white cream that is the consistency of a typical face / skin lotion. It went on smoothly (and it's recommended you use it directly after using the cleaner and spot zinger - thus the 1-2-3 system). I didn't notice an immediate decrease in my pores but I guess they were a bit less visible. It wasn't significant enough for me to say there was immediate effectiveness. I will say that my skin remained smooth and the product was not oily or greasy. From the lotion perspective it went on easily and didn't make me feel like I was caked in product. That's good.

Overall I would say this is a solid product line. My favourite product of the 3 is the deep scrub because of the very pleasant and not overpowering scent, the ease of use and removal, and the way my skin tingled when it was done. In terms of the blemish fighting components - they work...but so do most other acne products on the market so I'm not sure how to differentiate those from the rest.

I suppose that as a "system" these work well together in a 1-2-3 format. You can do it in less than five minutes and be on your way without anyone knowing that you have a bunch of product on your face. High marks for staying non-greasy and non-oily, and for the light scent that actually seems to work well.

I give these products a solid 4 stars (but the packaging gets a fail).

AvoDerm Natural Grain Free Cat Food, 3.5-Pound, Turkey
AvoDerm Natural Grain Free Cat Food, 3.5-Pound, Turkey
Price: $16.99
5 used & new from $16.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Cats love it. It's filled with good crunchings and munchings., March 31, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The AvoDerm Natural Grain Free Cat Food is a quality product that both of my cats are devouring as their always-available snack during the day and night.

Let's start with the shape - these products are small and flat and round, which is the perfect size for crunching and munching. This is especially important for my "senior" cat who has sensitive teeth...he can really get into these and doesn't have to bolt them like a dog in order to enjoy them. The younger cat seems to take great delight is crunching them as loud as she possibly can...in the middle of the night.

I haven't personally tasted the cat food in order to make a flavour assessment but if the behaviour of the cats is any indication, they LOVE the stuff. Sometimes they will poo-poo their noses at the moist cat food which should be a delicacy, and instead wander back to the bowls of the crunchy cat food. I take this to be a positive sign that they really dig it.

One thing I've noticed with the senior cat, is that his breath actually improves after having some of this food. His regular breath is pretty ridiculous since he's older and doesn't always do a good job cleaning his mouth after a meal. But after a few crunches and munches of this dry cat food, his breath is significantly improved. It seems to help clean off some of the buildup in his mouth - and that's always a good thing.

Overall I'm pleased with the product and will be ordering it again as soon as we run out. The cats love it, and I love that the cats love it. And you'll love that I love that the cats love it if you love this review.

Love.

Head & Shoulders  Instant Relief Scalp Soother Treatment, 4.2 Fluid Ounce
Head & Shoulders Instant Relief Scalp Soother Treatment, 4.2 Fluid Ounce
Price: $1.51
12 used & new from $1.51

3.0 out of 5 stars Mild tingling / cooling, only moderately effective as a leave-in hair styling product, March 18, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Here we have a new product from Head and Shoulders that is meant to be used as a leave-in product for use at any time during the day when you want a scalp refresh. You aren't meant to wash this product out - but to use either after the shower or pretty much any time of day. I tested this product immediately after the shower while my hair was still moderately damp.

What I was looking for was the advertised tingling / cooling / soothing - although all of these are really subjective terms when it comes to what you'll actually feel from the product.

So let's start at the beginning - remove the plastic guard sleeve from the pump and begin pumping. The gel will come out of the nozzle and I put about a quarter size puddle into the palm of my hand. You'll feel a bit of tingling - just like you generally do with their shampoo products. The consistency of the liquid is not thick like a conditioner, but thicker than water. It's sort of like a more liquidy shampoo, and translucent.

I rubbed my hands together (damp hands) and then worked it into my hair. I think if you have any amount of hair you're not going to really feel much tingling on your scalp. Bald men will get a better experience than anyone else. I only felt the tingling on my forehead where my hands rubbed across while styling my hair, and a bit on the tips of my ears.

I styled my hair into the desired shape and went off...in terms of hold it seems moderately effective. It doesn't leave my hair crunchy or stiff at all, which is nice, but it also doesn't really function like a gel or hairspray would. Now, the product is not advertised as a gel or hairspray, but because it's a leave-in product I would have expected it to have a more lasting effect. If the only purpose is to cool my scalp, a fan would work just as well and have longer lasting effects.

The smell is not unpleasant, but I did get a whiff of aerosol scent when using it, even though this is NOT an aerosolized product - it's pump action but not pressurized like a hair spray would be. The scent wasn't offensive enough to turn me off of the product, which I have used every day for a week.

Overall I'm only able to give this 3 stars. As a leave-in product it is just "fine" but doesn't give me enough of a reason to leave it in. The cooling effect doesn't last very long and only happens on those parts of my skin that get touched by it. Just being in my hair doesn't really do much, since you can't feel your hair. I'm struggling to understand how this product fits into the overall Head and Shoulders lineup, and why I wouldn't just use their shampoos and conditioners to get the same cleansing and cooling feeling.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 30, 2015 5:04 PM PDT

Pyle PSBV250BT Audio Level Bluetooth Stereo SoundBar Home Theater Digital Speaker System, Remote Control and AUX Input
Price: $99.99
13 used & new from $60.93

4.0 out of 5 stars A solid audio product from Pyle that is incredibly easy and fast to setup, with good bass response and audio quality over BT, March 9, 2015
What's in the box?
- The sound bar
- Instruction/User manual
- Two screws with wall inserts
- remote control
- two metal mounting brackets
- RCA audio cable (red/white)

Getting Started
If you're planning on mounting the sound bar on the wall, you'll find several pages in the instruction guide on using the brackets and screws to mount the speaker. I'm not going to cover that because it's optional and based on your setup - and in my environment a shelf works just fine. But just be aware it's pretty easy to install with the included hardware.

Take the remote control out of the plastic and pull the tab at the bottom so the included battery connects to the leads.

There are a few different ways you can provide input to the speaker: aux/mp3 link (cable not included), Optical (cable not included), RCA input (using the included cables), and finally using Bluetooth (no cables required).

For the purposes of this review I am going to focus on the Bluetooth connectivity, because that's how I plan to use the sound bar. If your setup differs, there's no reason that the device won't perform exactly the same using cables unless you have a cable or plug issue. You'll just need to press the source button on the device or remote to select which input you want to use. In this manner you could connect multiple devices and switch among them.

After plugging it in you'll notice a red LED on the right side, this is the power indicator. Press the power/source button the side (or power on the remote) and it will turn on, illuminating the selected source in amber, as well as the movie/music indicator. Press source again to select optical, then again to select Bluetooth. This LED is blue instead of amber. Note that also on the right side are Volume Up/Down buttons as well.

Activate Bluetooth on your mobile device (I tested with a tablet) and it immediately saw the PSBV250BT. I selected it and when paired, the speaker beeped twice.

Next I loaded up an audio program on the tablet (Google Music) and selected a playlist. Within seconds the audio began on the sound bar. I tested a variety of musical genres, and was pleased with the sound. It's not a full range set of speakers of course, and the treble was a bit strong (which can easily be adjusted using an equalizer function in your app) - but I was pleased with the bass. In fact, for testing I had it on a TV tray next to me at a slight slope, and the bass in one song caused the sound bar to start sliding off. Obviously not an issue if you mount it :).

Overall there's a lot going for this device from Pyle. It's sleek, with a black shiny finish and silver accents on the sides. It's incredibly easy to start using - my experiment went from unpacking to playing music in less than 5 minutes, and that's because I took my time unpacking everything and looking at it. Once it came to powering on and pairing with my tablet it was less than 1 minute to music.

With the flexibility to have multiple types of audio inputs, you've got an inexpensive sound bar that can either be mounted, or travel with you to work or wherever you need a portable sound bar.

I only experienced ONE audio drop-out during approximately 10 minutes of music testing, but it was so brief and the music came back so quickly I think it was more related to my tablet doing something than the sound bar.

Overall a solid product that is responsive, and super-fast to setup and start using.

I'm giving this a solid 4 out of 5 stars.

Herbal Essences  Wild Naturals Detoxifying Conditioner, 13.5 Fluid Ounce
Herbal Essences Wild Naturals Detoxifying Conditioner, 13.5 Fluid Ounce
Price: $5.99
4 used & new from $1.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to open, nice fragrance that isn't overpowering, and doesn't make my hair feel greasy or oily, March 2, 2015
What you get:
An easy to open bottle of nice smelling conditioner that makes your hair feel smooth but not greasy.

Herbal Essences Wild Naturals has created what they call a detoxifying conditioner - this variety with the scent of thai lemon basil essences. Although I wasn't aware that my hair was toxic, this product will apparently take care of that in a jiffy. I really can't speak to the detoxification aspect because I haven't done a chemical analysis of my hair's current state, but what I can tell you is that this conditioner makes my hair feel soft and smooth and not greasy or heavy.

Let's start with the fragrance - it's light and not overpowering. It doesn't make me feel like I took a bath in perfume - it's pleasing, at the right level for both men and women (I think), and doesn't linger excessively during the day. But wow it sure does smell nice in the heat of a shower.

The product is very easy to open - which is something I always look for. The top of the bottle flips open without any difficulty and the product comes out with a gentle tilt and squeeze of the bottle. I've also given it a little shake to get the product down near the opening and it seems to move freely within the bottle.

It has the consistency you'd expect from conditioner - no real difference there from any other product I have used.

When measuring the success of a conditioner my biggest need is that my hair should not feel oily or greasy afterward, it washes out cleanly, and my hair is soft. Herbal Essences gets a solid 4 stars for all of those things.

The product recommends pairing it with the HE Detoxifying Shampoo, which I haven't done. I've never really felt the need to match up my brands as long as each product works well individually, which I feel this one does.

For pleasing fragrance, ease of use (and opening), and how it makes my hair feel, I'll give this product a solid 4 stars.

Avery 05689 White Postcards For Laser Printer, 5.5 x 4.25 Inches, White, 200 Per Box
Price: $12.99
34 used & new from $12.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great quality card stock for printing postcards or takeaway cards, easy to manage and double-side print, February 11, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
What you get: 200x4 postcards (four per page) in a brilliant white finish (non-glossy)

How they work:
The easiest way to make sure you're going to print as expected is to use the Avery Number printed on the packaging and use that in your template in Microsoft Word. Generally you'll use the function to create new labels / cards and select the appropriate Avery number from the list. It will automatically format your layout appropriately. I do recommend running a test before doing the full run, especially if you are using border artwork that goes right up to the edge. Sometimes printers will not maintain alignment on the run and if your border printing is too close to the edge you might have some gaps or bleed-over.

In terms of product quality these postcards are easy to use and they do hold up well to two-sided printing. If you have a duplexer you should be able to get high quality without them breaking apart, or if you want to be safer you can of course use a manual tray feed. Once printed they are very easy to fold along the perforations and break apart into the four postcards.

Keep in mind that there is no pre-printing on these - so if you want to actually use them as a postcard you'll need to make sure your document is formatted correctly for USPS purposes. I have only used these as takeaway postcards at events and have not had to format them for being in the mail.

The ink holds well to the paper - which is not a glossy finish, it's a nice solid card stock that holds up well to gentle flexing. I haven't experienced any smudging of the ink (which is more associated with the finisher in your printer than this card stock), and the look is very pleasing whether printing in black and white or colour.

Overall a solid 4 star product from Avery that we will continue to use and buy.

Natural Balance Perfect Bites - Salmon - 3 oz
Natural Balance Perfect Bites - Salmon - 3 oz
Price: $2.49
17 used & new from $2.04

4.0 out of 5 stars Corn / Soy / Wheat free treats that are soft and chewy and delicious for the cats!, February 7, 2015
What you get?
A nice little package of salmon-flavoured treats for your cats!

Do they work?
So far both of my cats love these little treat bites. Sometimes when one of them is not particularly interested in eating (he's old) we can put a few of these bites on top of his food and he will eat them and continue eating - great incentive.

I've also noticed, anecdotally, that their cat breath SEEMS to be improved after using some of these chews. It could be that some of the tartar is breaking down, or just that these provide a better scent than regular cat food.

As a treat - they work as expected. We can toss a few of these on the carpet for some positive reinforcement, or just about any time we want to provide an extra treat.

The bites are soft and small - which is good for one of my cats who has sensitive teeth. Although he likes crunchy food as well, these are very easy for him to consume if he's having a painful chewing day.

Finally they are corn/soy/wheat free. So if you have a cat that needs to be on a special diet you can use these as a nice gluten-free snack.

Overall a solid 4 stars for product quality, texture, and how my cats respond to them.

NeverKink Lite 6600-50 50-Feet Garden Hose, 9/16-Inch Diameter
NeverKink Lite 6600-50 50-Feet Garden Hose, 9/16-Inch Diameter
Price: $24.11
6 used & new from $18.23

4.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't kink, but is very tightly wound and seems to prefer staying that way..., January 27, 2015
Here's what you get:
- the 50ft hose
- the cardboard and plastic ties holding it together

In terms of frustration free packaging, this one works - with just a few scissor cuts of the plastic binding strips you're pretty much ready to go.

The host installed very quickly and screwed on tightly with just hand-tightening. You can certainly use tools to tighten it if you so choose, but I didn't find a need to. There's a rubber washer inside like you'd expect, to create a good seal on your water output pipe.

Upon removing the binding strips I noticed that the hose maintained its tightly coiled shape. Even when I stretched it out and then let it go back it seemed to prefer staying wound in a circle. I tried bending the hose, and stepping on it as well to get it to kink. It pretty much immediately went back to shape without much noticeable bending or compression. And again, it seemed to want to maintain it's rolled up shape.

This wasn't a huge issue because I keep it rolled up on a hose thingamajig in the yard, but it took a bit of effort to get it to go from being tightly wound to just loosely wound. This is mostly because of the way it's packaged and shipped. It eventually relaxed a bit but still really likes being wound up.

In terms of water flow it's what I expect from a standard hose - easy to use, good spray, and attachments fit on it just fine. I've used both a firehose style sprayer as well as a smaller metal one. Both go on the hose and come off very easily.

Generally a solid 4 star product that so far has not maintained a kink if I'm not standing on the hose!

Taylor Glass Digital Bath Scale, Silver
Taylor Glass Digital Bath Scale, Silver
Price: $19.88
19 used & new from $15.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Good looking accurate scale that does exactly the job it's supposed to do, January 12, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I like a bathroom scale that does exactly that - scales. I don't need something fancy that tells me a guestimate of BMI based on how hydrated I am, or tracks my weight over time. I just want a scale that looks nice and accurately measure my current weight.

So - the Taylor Glass Digital Bath Scale fits that need for me.

Here's what you get:
The bath scale.
Two AAA batteries taped to the underside of the scale.
Associated paperwork for the scale.

The batteries remove easily from the back of the scale, and they insert easily into the battery container. That's product installation right there - one step and you're done and ready.

Set the scale on the floor and the feet will detect when you've stepped on the scale. It measures, and then holds the weight for a few seconds so you can step off and see it (or just look down and see it if you can do that :)).

On the underside you can switch b/n kg and lb in the event you get the scale for a metric-based country.

The look of the scale is pleasing and contemporary, with a silver finish and glass platform to stand on. It also took up very little space on the floor and is so light that I was able to store it on a shelf in the bathroom closet when not in use.

Overall a solid 4 star product for ease of installation, accuracy of measurement, ability to just BE a scale, and pleasing aesthetics in my bathroom.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20