Profile for Heath Buckmaster > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 303

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Heath Buckmaster "_heath_" RSS Feed (Sacramento, CA USA)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Hefty Ultra Flex Maximum Strength Drawstring Bags, 30 Gallon, 14 Count
Hefty Ultra Flex Maximum Strength Drawstring Bags, 30 Gallon, 14 Count
Offered by Success Marketing
Price: $10.76
6 used & new from $10.76

5.0 out of 5 stars Strong, flexible, holds tons of stuff, I've already created a subscribe and save for more, June 26, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Strong bags - that's what you get with the Hefty Ultra Flex.

If there is one thing I would like different from this one is more bags in the box. 14 is a strange number - maybe it's so you can use one per day and get through two weeks, but I don't go through that much trash.

Aside from that, these bags are perfect for a variety of needs - but two specifically that I've been really pleased with.

First, recycling. We tend to have more recycle than trash, because we're pretty picky about making sure trash is actual trash and has no possibility of recycling. That's mostly food waste that doesn't get composted, or things that are clearly not going to be recycled. That means we have a TON of plastic, paper, and metal that needs to get stored for two weeks before the recycle bin gets picked up. The hefty ultra flex provides a HUGE amount of storage room for these things, and it does tear even when we put in cardboard boxes or metal cat food cans with sharp lids. It's easy to tie up and then easy to throw into the recycle bin. And it has TONS of stretching room - you can really fill it up.

Second, yard waste gathering. If you live in an area that requires you to put yard waste in a bin, that can sometimes be a pain especially if you have lots of leaves or small branches to gather up. These bags are perfect and reusable to scoop up yard waste, dump it in the bin, then go back for more. The reusability of bags without them tearing apart is great - and you'll find that several trips can be made using the same bag - then use the bag for regular trash or recycle and you're good to go. I hate having a bunch of waste and we try to reuse things as much as we can - so why not your "trash" bag?

Overall a solid 5 star product which is strong, durable, flexible, reusable, and is now on my subscribe and save list every single month.

KIND Healthy Grains Popped Dark Chocolate with Sea Salt Bars, 15 Count
KIND Healthy Grains Popped Dark Chocolate with Sea Salt Bars, 15 Count
Price: $10.79
4 used & new from $10.79

4.0 out of 5 stars Tasty, not too sweet, easy to eat and the right amount for an afternoon snack., June 21, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
What you get: a KIND Healthy Grains popped dark chocolate with sea salt snack bar, which is gluten free, non-GMO, and contains 6 super grains.

The product is called a "granola bar" but don't expect it to be as thick as your typical granola bar. This one is pretty flat and more square shaped, which personally I think helps make it easier to chew than a granola bar. The taste is pretty mild actually - it doesn't overwhelm with chocolate or sea salt. It doesn't taste like it's filled with sugar (good - in fact sugar is way down on the ingredient list), and it's got a nice texture. I ate the entire bar in one sitting (it's only 1.2 oz so it's not like you're eating a meal).

Since I'm regularly looking for gluten-free snack options - this one actually works quite well. For an afternoon snack when I'm feeling peckish but don't want to be overwhelmed with sweet - this works. I would like a bit more of a bold chocolate and sea salt flavour, but it does seem to go well with all the whole grains and doesn't make me feel like I'm eating candy.

I will give this a solid 4 stars - and would purchase it for regular healthy snack use.

AmazonBasics 19-Inch Two-Door Top-Load Pet Kennel
AmazonBasics 19-Inch Two-Door Top-Load Pet Kennel
Price: $24.99

3.0 out of 5 stars An interesting carrier with two pet loading options - secure, but difficult to assemble - fits medium and small cats, June 21, 2015
What you get in the box:
Carrier top (including top access door) & bottom
Front gated door
12 screws and nuts (you will only use 6 in the assembly)
Instruction papers
Lots of plastic and tape

A note on shipping: On my particular order it took one month to arrive. Generally I don't see amazon products taking this long - so it has taken me some time to get the product and prepare a review.

The product seems well-tooled. The top and bottom sections fit into each other with only minimal effort, and the instructions are easy to follow to get them connected. Putting the front door on is easy to do and the mechanism has gentle moving springs that allow for one handed front-door operation (I point this out because nothing else on this carrier can be done with just one hand).

After fitting the top into the bottom and connecting the front door, you'll fold down the four plastic flaps on the sides and lock them into place. This seems to be an unnecessary component to the product, as you will next be screwing the top into the bottom with six provided screws and nuts. In essence this gives you six screw-based locks and four plastic locks. Completely unnecessary and time consuming - and for those of you who want to take the carrier apart for easier storage, the screw-based locking is a showstopper.

You will also see from the attached pictures that the screws are ridiculously hard to install - you have to push the nut into the bottom and hold it in place with a finger while you screw the screw in from the top side, making sure the nut doesn't fall out in the process. There are six of these to do - three on each side, however, you're provided 12 of them in the shipment, so I guess you can find another reason to use screws somewhere else.
If you want the ability to remove the top from the bottom for easy storage DO NOT install the screws, otherwise you'll have to unscrew 6 of them just to dismantle the box for cleaning or storage. Based on what I've seen, using the four plastic locking tabs is sufficient for a medium or small cat to stay secure inside the box.

Moving on to the top entrance door - this was a selling feature on the carrier so that you can load the pet in from the top or front. Problem is that it takes multiple hands and is not easy to open. On the top you'll see two spring-based levers that you have to pull forward. They do fit well into the recessed area, but unless you have tiny fingers they are not easy to get back out again. If you open one side then it opens like a door (vs. removing it completely from the top) which is nice, but the door doesn't stay open (keeps falling back closed) so you'll have to hold that open while trying to get your pet inside. This is a neat design in concept, but in actual use it's easier said than done.

The front-loading door is what you would expect from a pet carrier. Works every time and opens and closes smoothly. I haven't had any issues getting a cat into and out of the front. On the top I find it easier to completely remove the top door vs. opening it from one side only.

It's plastic so it's easy to wash out if your pet has a mess inside (which happens more often than not at our house). There are plenty of air vents all around the sides and top so your pet gets good air flow while traveling, but also some privacy. I generally put a small towel in the bottom of the carrier just to give them more comfort on a quick trip.

So overall I'm taking two stars away for the product being very difficult to assemble, having unnecessary locking elements on the sides, being unable to very quickly take it apart for cleaning, and for the top door being difficult to manage whether removing completely or lifting a single side.

I think there was some real possibility here for a clever product that allows flexibility in pet loading...but it seems overthought and overworked. I will continue to use it without the screw-based locking, and rarely using the top access door.
Comment Comment | Permalink

DII Elegant, Modern Flower Blossom Lace, Machine Washable Window Curtain Treatment, White, 50x63" - Set of 2
Price: $19.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing quality, inconsistent stitching across the entire product, poorly constructed, barely passable as a curtain, June 13, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
What you get: two "floral design" lace curtains.

Opening the package is very easy. Unzip the top and pull the curtains out. They are wrapped around a long piece of folded cardboard and are easy to remove.

As you are unwrapping them from the cardboard, the first thing you're going to notice is how insubstantial they are. It's basically white fishnet with a floral pattern. The scalloped edges are poorly cut/tooled and mine were already quite frayed right out of the package. The work appears sloppy. I assume it is done by machine...but it looks like the knives must have been dull the day that mine went through the factory. Bits of fabric on the sides and bottom are completely uneven and look a mess.

The material has a bit of a waxy feel to it, but otherwise feels sort of like 1-ply toilet paper. The stitching around the edges is uneven, sloppy, and sad.

Since they are lace - do not expect ANY amount of light coverage from these. They are barely there and will not provide any darkness for your room if that's what you're interested in. As for privacy, they don't offer privacy either.

The curtain rod sleeve at the top is uneven and poorly stitched. I took a ruler and measured the width in random places across the top and found up to a 1/4th in variance back and forth all the way across. This is less noticeable once you put the curtains up - but given the other quality issues I'm not sure you're going to leave them up for very long.

If you are looking for a cheap, poorly constructed, floral lace accent curtain then this might work for you. If you want quality, light coverage, privacy, or something that actual looks nice...move on to something else.

Colgate Enamel Health Whitening Toothpaste, Clean Mint Paste, 5.5 Ounce (Pack of 6)
Offered by wunderschoen1111
Price: $22.00
10 used & new from $22.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid cleaning toothpaste, texture / consistency means less waste and better brushing. Great clean fresh minty taste too., May 16, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
There's something very specific about this toothpaste that really sold it for me.

That's usually hard to say - because it's toothpaste. After this many decades of products you really don't differentiate on anything other than texture and taste. They _all_ whiten your teeth. They _all_ are designed to remove plaque and stains. So companies seem to be almost desperate to switch things up so you'll buy a new product. Look, we all use toothpaste (well hopefully) and as long as you're using something consistently and seeing a dentist you should be fine.

But...there is something that has always irritated me about many toothpastes and that is the texture and how it "holds up" to brushing. Frankly I don't care much about taste - mint is fine, coolness is fine, whatever is fine. But when I put the toothpaste on my toothbrush I want it to stay there and I want it to hold its consistency during the course of brushing and cleaning. That's where this product from Colgate shines for me.

The product has a translucent white colour, with a texture unlike other pastes I've tried. This not only helps with brushing, but also with making the tube itself more clean. I haven't noticed any glops of toothpaste clinging to the dispenser. Every other toothpaste in a squeeze tube is a MESS - but this one isn't. The consistency of the paste keeps it from sticking and glopping to the container - and that's winning for me.

When I put it in my mouth it doesn't immediately break up and fall out into the sink. It holds together and clings to my teeth for brushing. Again, winning. I feel like I'm wasting less of this product to the sink, and keeping more of it in my mouth for brushing.

I do realize that differentiating a toothpaste seems a bit strange these days - but this is a product I can actually say I would get again for no other reason than the texture/consistency of the product. Yes it has a great (and light) minty coolness - but the selling point for me is that translucent white solid texture, which means less mess, and better mouthfeel for brushing.

This one gets a full five stars from me.

DII 100-Percent Polyester Wrinkle Resistant Wide Tablecloth, 70 by 84-Inch, Light Blue, Seats 6 to 8 People
Price: $20.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A large tablecloth that is easy to clean and easy to wash, May 16, 2015
What do you get?
A large tablecloth that will fit many sizes of table but is designed for a larger one since it's 70x84 inches.

I put this on a smaller 4x3 tall table and it draped pretty far down the sides. That's great when you are using it for serving with guests over, but for sitting at the table for normal dining it's a bit too large and lays on your lap while you sit. That's not the fault of the tablecloth, it's just something to be aware of if you don't use this on a table large enough to accommodate 70x84 inches of fabric.

The most important thing for me is easy cleanup with a variety of spills. That could be random bits of food, oil from a salad dressing, or the always enjoyable wine spill. These things do happen, and getting a moist cloth to quickly wipe it up is generally good for this tablecloth. It also holds up well in the washer.

After several cycles, it has always come out with minimal wrinkles (I don't like using fabric softener with a tablecloth since it's going to be right where my food is), and I have not noticed any pulling or stretching of the fabric. Doesn't seem to be shrinking in the wash (I always wash on cold), and even with a colour-safe non-chlorine bleach it holds the colour (which in this case is a sort of shiny blue patterned look).

The best use for this particular tablecloth, for me, is in outdoor use on a 6 foot table. It provides good coverage and looks nice in the spring because of the bright blue. You can then just shake it off (if you haven't spilled anything major on it) and fold it up for the next time.

Overall a solid product, so I'm giving it 4 stars for looks, ability to do quick cleanup, and its durability in the washing machine and dryer over the course of several cycles.

Food & Wine For Gorham The Entertainer All Purposes, Set of 4
Food & Wine For Gorham The Entertainer All Purposes, Set of 4
Price: $72.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, crystal-clear glasses that work well for a tall glass of tea or lemonade., April 27, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Here's what you get: 4 delightful, crystal clear glasses for daily use and entertainment.

Here's what I think: They work!

The Food and Wine for Gorham glasses are a nice, elegant, sophisticated touch for your daily use or for having guests over to enjoy a tall glass of lemonade or tea. With a sturdy base, and solid glass construction, the glasses fit well in the hand and hold a nice dinner-sized glass of liquid. In terms of stability they sit well on a table and with the bottom portion slightly wider than the top I have not had any concerns about accidentally tipping over and spilling on the table.

Washing these in the top rack of the dishwasher presents no problem, and they clean nicely to a sparkle finish. After repeated use and repeated washing I haven't noticed any loss of luster or transparency in the glass, nor have I seen any scratching or marring of the finish.

Overall a solid 4 stars for these glasses.

Irish Spring Signature Exfoliating Bar Soap, 6oz, 3 Count
Irish Spring Signature Exfoliating Bar Soap, 6oz, 3 Count
Offered by ZigSnag
Price: $7.09
21 used & new from $3.60

4.0 out of 5 stars Fresh scent, excellent clean, smell like a MAN, April 20, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Freshness abounds in the Irish Spring Signature Exfoliating Bar Soap (try typing that three times fast).

What do you get?
A pack of three large soap bars which are described as "man sized" - which basically means they are hearty.

What do they smell like?
Irish Spring.
Yep - the product smells just like the wonderful green version of soap - it's a crisp scent that takes you back to the waterfalls of Ireland (are there waterfalls in Ireland?) and with a peppery man-scent aftertaste. But seriously, there's really no scent like Irish Spring - it's been one of my fav scents of soap since Lava soap of years gone by.

And speaking of Lava soap...what differentiates this Irish Spring product from the rest is the "exfoliating scrub" element - oak that gives your skin a light abrasive cleaning and really gets those dead skin cells off and down the drain. It feels good going on and isn't rough on the skin - but still feels manly, whatever that means.

After using the soap (if I can get practical for just a moment) I noticed that the pleasing scent lingers for a while after showering. It sort of doubles as body spray / cologne but in a much nicer way. Personally I like the fresh smell that lasts through the first part of my day. It's kind of a just-showered smell...and it's especially nice to use if you shower just before bed, because you're going to crawl under the sheets and drift off into a pleasant waterfall-like dream-state as you're transported to the Emerald Isle...I'm getting carried away here.

Overall a solid product from Irish Spring and I will definitely be buying MORE of this great soap. Solid 4 stars!

NUMI Organic Tea Capsules, Moroccan Mint, 16 Count
NUMI Organic Tea Capsules, Moroccan Mint, 16 Count
Price: $17.88
2 used & new from $17.88

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a strong tea, and in a very wasteful container, April 14, 2015
What you get:
Numi tea K-cups in the flavour of Moroccan Mint

The positive:
Aroma - the tea smells wonderful during brewing and as you're enjoying the product. The minty smell is pleasing while not overpowering. I've had mint tea before that can double as a decongestant - this tea doesn't. It's mild and pleasing but not overwhelming or what I would describe as "powerful mint" scent.

What concerns me:
There's a lot of plastic waste in these cups. Inside the translucent cup you'll see the small tea bag. If you look at some of the better coffee pods for Keurig style machines you'll find some that do not use a plastic cup at all - it's just the coffee inside a mesh filter. There is no real practical reason for these cups to have the plastic "shell" - they only need the tea bag style interior and your results will be identical. That's because the water isn't hanging out inside the cup steeping...it's being pressurized right through it into your tea cup or mug. So to me, there's a lot of waste here because most people won't take the time to follow the printed instructions to remove the foil top and recycle the plastic. People are going to just grab it and toss it.

I also have to agree with many other reviewers that the tea is VERY weak. I've tried it on small, medium, and large and the taste is just above flavoured water. Now, I don't always have to have strong tea, but you can get the same quality by putting a few fresh mint leaves in hot water and steeping them. There doesn't seem to be much added value in this product beyond what you can do yourself with a fresh sprig of mint and water.

If you're looking for a bold tea, this isn't it. If you're looking for a very mild mint-ish tea, then this will work fine for you. I'm giving this product a middle of the road rating not because of the strength of the tea (because YOU might prefer the more mild style) but for the product waste as the primary detractor of one star.

Olay Fresh Effects Clear Skin 1-2-3 Acne Solution System Kit
Olay Fresh Effects Clear Skin 1-2-3 Acne Solution System Kit
Price: $19.94
6 used & new from $19.94

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice fresh scent, easy to use, products work well, packaging is a nightmare., April 1, 2015
What you get:
3 products in one package: Acne deep scrub, Spot/Blemish control, and a "Mattifier"
The deep scrub is meant for daily cleansing for your entire face / neck; the spot zinger is to put specifically on a blemish; the mattifier is a lotion-like product designed to minimize visible pores.

Let's start with the packaging - it's not frustration-free.
Each of the containers inside the box is attached and held in place by a 1"x1" sticky piece of foam. The products are difficult to remove from the box and get away from the stick foam, and in the case of the mattifier container I was left with foam still stuck to the bottom of the product when I finally got it out of the box. I'm not sure that I've ever seen product packaging this unfriendly. The packaging doesn't impact the function of the product, but it's important to note that you will not have an easy time removing them from the box.

Product 1 - Acne Hater Deep Scrub
This is a greenish gel product that smells sort of like fruit cocktail with mint. You get your warm water going, and massage it all over your face and neck. I've done this both in the shower and at the sink. The product smells very nice and goes on easily. The abrasives in the gel are just the right texture so as to provide the scrubbing power, but not feel like you're scratching your face. It was easy to work up into a light lather and then wash off in warm water. My preference is to do this in the shower so that I can completely wash it off my face. At the sink it took a lot more time.
After finishing, the scent remained and was pleasant, and my face had a cooling sensation.

Product 2 - Spot Zinger
This is a white thick cream in a small tube that you put directly onto blemishes. It's go salicylic acid just like every other acne or pimple treatment out there. It goes on clean and massages in without an oily residue. In terms of product performance I always compare these things to Burt's Bees Blemish Stick, which is a product that I have a constant stock of because it's just that darn good. Burt's Bees will get rid of a blemish is less than 24-hours in most cases. This product does seem to work well but took a little longer to clear up a spot I had on my face as compared to my preferred product. It didn't fail...it just wasn't as fast or effective. It didn't have a negative smell - but I guess smelled like many other acne creams on the market.

Product 3 - Swirled Mattifier
I've never heard this term before. Basically what it's supposed to do is reduce redness and pores so that your skin looks smoother and shiny and whatever the heck mattifier really means. My nose has some visible pores so that's where I started. This is a pump bottle with a thick white cream that is the consistency of a typical face / skin lotion. It went on smoothly (and it's recommended you use it directly after using the cleaner and spot zinger - thus the 1-2-3 system). I didn't notice an immediate decrease in my pores but I guess they were a bit less visible. It wasn't significant enough for me to say there was immediate effectiveness. I will say that my skin remained smooth and the product was not oily or greasy. From the lotion perspective it went on easily and didn't make me feel like I was caked in product. That's good.

Overall I would say this is a solid product line. My favourite product of the 3 is the deep scrub because of the very pleasant and not overpowering scent, the ease of use and removal, and the way my skin tingled when it was done. In terms of the blemish fighting components - they work...but so do most other acne products on the market so I'm not sure how to differentiate those from the rest.

I suppose that as a "system" these work well together in a 1-2-3 format. You can do it in less than five minutes and be on your way without anyone knowing that you have a bunch of product on your face. High marks for staying non-greasy and non-oily, and for the light scent that actually seems to work well.

I give these products a solid 4 stars (but the packaging gets a fail).

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20