Profile for Heath Buckmaster > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 283

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Heath Buckmaster "_heath_" RSS Feed (Sacramento, CA USA)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Hidden Object - Magic of Christmas
Hidden Object - Magic of Christmas
Price: $1.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Another DifferenceGames that doesn't work with AndroidL on a Nexus 5, December 14, 2014
Product does not appear to work with AndroidL - crashes upon load every single time.

Head & Shoulders Classic Clean Dandruff Shampoo 33.8 Fl Oz
Head & Shoulders Classic Clean Dandruff Shampoo 33.8 Fl Oz
Price: $9.34

4.0 out of 5 stars Solid product from Head and Shoulders - packaging needs some tweaking to prevent leaks, December 14, 2014
What you get:
Pump bottle filled with magical blue goo that makes your hair smell good and the flakes fall off.
A product that could do with some additional packaging design to prevent leaking around the pump assembly (especially after being shipped).

What you don't get:
Dandruff.

The only problem I had with the product is in the packaging design. Upon removing it from shipping, I noticed that the pump assembly had some dried blue goo around it. When I twisted the pump in order to activate it, a large amount of product released from inside and coated the shaft of the pump, leaking down onto the bottle. Some product design tweaking needs to happen here to prevent leaks - perhaps a plastic sleeve that can be removed but will protect the head during shipping.

Other than packaging, a solid 4 star product which reduces and helps prevent dandruff - and that's why I bought it! Works every time, and smells clean and fresh and masculine.

Hidden Object - Autumn Garden
Hidden Object - Autumn Garden
Price: $0.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Looked promising - won't load on AndroidL - Nexus 5, December 14, 2014

Hidden Object - Happy Haunts
Hidden Object - Happy Haunts
Price: $1.99

2.0 out of 5 stars Looked promising - won't load on AndroidL - Nexus5, December 14, 2014
This review is from: Hidden Object - Happy Haunts (App)

Will gladly update this review once the application works correctly.

AmazonBasics Portable External Battery Charger - 3,000 mAh (Credit Card Size)
AmazonBasics Portable External Battery Charger - 3,000 mAh (Credit Card Size)
Price: $16.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Power up your phone while on the go with Amazon Basics portable charger!, December 14, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Here's what you get in the box:
Soft felt black bag to carry your battery charger
8" (approximate) USB charging cable
Amazon Basics battery charger (referred to as the "power bank")
Instruction guide in a variety of languages

You can charge the power bank through your computer, or by plugging it into normal power with an adapter. I recommend using an adapter that you probably already have for your cell phone and charging it through normal power. It's faster. You'll see a red flashing light while it's charging, and that light becomes solid red when charging is complete. The charging port is a microUSB connection on the side of the power bank.

When you're ready to charge up your phone, gently pull on the adapter at the lower right corner and pull it away from the power bank. The attachment cord will pull away from the entire bottom and around to the corner giving you plenty of length for safely connecting to your phone and laying the power bank to the side. Note that the connector is microUSB, which will work with pretty much every recent Android phone. If you have an iPhone or a device that doesn't have microUSB, you'll need to use an adapter.

When you plug in the power bank to a phone, the LED will turn blue to let you know that it is charging. Flashing blue means that the power bank is running out of power soon and you will need to recharge it before your next emergency.

So I ran a test of charging up my phone and I have to say it was fast. It sends a pretty powerful boost of power into the phone and gets you going quickly. And with a form factor that is just a bit larger than a credit card, it easily slid into my pocket along with the phone and I didn't have to think about it. When I checked in with it a bit later it was fully charged and I unplugged the power bank and put it away.

For size, rapidity of charging, ease of use: a solid 4 star product from Amazon Basics.

DII 100% Cotton, Machine Washable 5-Piece Everyday Kitchen Basic Dishtowel Set, Includes 4 Dishtowels and 1 Dishcloth, Oversized, Dark Brown
Price: $21.00

4.0 out of 5 stars A beautiful contemporary dishtowel set that holds up to daily use., November 17, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
What makes this set unique from many others that I've seen for sale is that each towel is different. You get five pieces in total, including four larger dish towels and one smaller washcloth. Generally I don't use a "washcloth" in the kitchen, but this one is soft enough that you could just accidentally take it into the bathroom and leave it there for normal use.

Each large towel is a different design, from the more solid brown which matches the washcloth, to the stripes, squares, and circles of the others. They are contemporary in design, and the brown and white colour looks very good in any kitchen.

In terms of these towels holding up to regular use, I've put them through the laundry multiple times (with bleach as well) and the colour has stayed true, and there has been no shrinking or fraying of the material. For me, being able to bleach my kitchen towels is a must - whether the product recommends it or not. Every towel in the house gets bleached so that's one of the primary tests of quality that is important to me.

The softness of the towels also maintains through the wash. I do use a fabric softener sheet sometimes, but I don't use any sort of liquid softener because I don't want residue on kitchen towels. You should have great success keeping these clean with regular use - and based on their durability so far, they should last quite some time.

So for the styling of the product (contemporary, classic, diverse), and the quality of the product (able to hold up to daily use and multiple rounds of washing with bleach), I'm giving this a solid 4 stars.

Pride by Instinct Cheshire's Recipe with Chicken and Chickpeas Dry Cat Food 5.0 lb Bag
Price: $19.99
3 used & new from $19.99

3.0 out of 5 stars A good product. And that's about as far as it goes., November 8, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Here a product I neither like nor dislike. It really does fall somewhere in the middle of the scale.

Gluten Free has become the latest fad, and while I might personally subscribe to it for myself for health reasons, I've never been told by a veterinarian that my cats need to be on a "gluten free" diet vs. what they generally get from their moist and dry food options. What concerns me most is whether the food is easy for them to eat (one is an advanced age), and whether it stays down (that same one also has a very sensitive stomach).

In this case. the product does just that. The small triangular shaped pieces are either for both cats to crunch through and devour - in the middle of the night this is a fun sound to lul me to sleep. The food stays down, and seems to control their breath pretty well vs. moist food that can get a bit funky at times.

But given that the product bills itself as being gluten-free as one of the primary marketing points, I'm still not sure what value that adds to my feline's diet. And that is why I find myself on this median score for the product. The like it. It's fine. But when it comes to cat food I'm not really sure what tips the scale into OH WOW THIS IS AWESOME CAT FOOD.

I have nothing against this product. But there's nothing that puts it ahead of anything else that I've purchased for them. It's a good, middle of the road cat food that I would have no problem buying again if the price is comparable to whatever else I might buy for them.

This is one of those products that should have a veterinarian recommendation for gluten-free diet if I'm going to really pay attention to that element. Otherwise, it's solid, good, and that's where it ends.

Ritz Kitchen Wears Egyptian Cotton Collection 2-Piece Checked Towel Set, Black
Ritz Kitchen Wears Egyptian Cotton Collection 2-Piece Checked Towel Set, Black
Price: $12.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Soft, durable, holds up to repeated washings (with bleach), great absorbancy, October 21, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Whenever I hear the term Egyptian Cotton I'm transported back to the movie The Incredibles. The delightful Edna Mode reminds us that while the super-suit is strong and durable and can withstand a missile attack, it breathes like Egyptian Cotton.

It has the connotation of lux, in every sense of the word. Soft, smooth, gentle to the touch, sensitive, passionate, ok maybe passionate is going too far.

Ritz Kitchen Wear has done a great job of blending style with usability, with that touch of Egyptian lux.

Starting with the design - the stripes bring a contemporary look to any kitchen, with the dark and lighter bands consistently presented across the towel set. The colouration holds up well to regular use as well as regular washing with bleach. I always wash dish towels with bleach for that extra measure of cleanliness and after repeated washings the colours maintain their brightness and consistency.

These are also nice big dish towels. They are great for setting on the side of the cutting board while working with food, as well as actual dish drying if you don't use a dishwasher. They are perfect underneath a hot bowl of chili while sitting on the couch watching your favourite program, and they are soft for use to wipe up any spills you might have. I actually got chili all over one of them, tossed it in the wash, and you could never tell it had been stained with chili.

Overall a solid five stars for this product - because when it comes to kitchen towels the most important thing to me is the ability to use them over and over again and they hold up to harsh conditions (food / liquid / washings). Great product for the contemporary kitchen, and at a good price.

Price: $69.99
7 used & new from $69.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Easy to install, great print quality, excellent mobile apps, small form factor, great multi-func device, October 6, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Here's my review of the Epson WorkForce WF-2630 All-In-One Wireless Color Printer with Scanner, Copier and Fax.

What's in the box: the multifunction device, power cord, software install CD (not required - you can download the software from epson), quick reference guide, instruction guide, four ink cartridges (black/yellow/magenta/cyan)

First off - there's a LOT of tape holding various pieces and parts together. Once you remove the device from the styro bracers start removing all the tape. It's blue so you'll know exactly what is OK to remove. There's a LOT of it - all across the sides, top, bottom, and even on the inside. You'll also find some styro chips attached to tape that you'll remove too.

Installation is a pretty easy, step-by-step process. Plug the device into power and turn it on. You'll go through a few steps entering data on the screen - setting language, date/time preference, etc. You'll insert the four ink cartridges next. There is one small piece of tape on each - but a warning, you'll see some other plastic coverings on the ink head - do NOT remove those. There is a little graphic on the install guide that warns you about which tape to remove and which to leave in place.

After inserting the four ink cartridges and loading in some paper, the device will do a pretty lengthy setup / test. And this is all before you even plug it into the computer (you can also join it to your wireless network, but I didn't do that in this step).

While the printer was configuring itself / cartridges / etc. I went to the epson.com website and got the latest drivers for the device. You'll find the exact URL on the quick start guide - and in my case, there was also a firmware update available which I'll get to in a minute. Installed the software and followed the on-screen guides to plug in the USB cable and complete the setup. It was at this point it detected that a new version was available and began the download of new firmware. I'd say this whole process took about 10 minutes to complete.

A test page was printed (looked beautiful) and I finished up by registering the device with Epson (it lets you setup a cloud printing registration as well and will give your printer a unique email address if you want to do remote printing). You'll also find links to the Apple and Google Play stores to download the Epson printing app (which I also did).

After the USB link was configured and complete, I used the panel on the front of the device to connect it to my wireless network. Entering the passcode was easy using the numeric keypad - just hit the number as many times as it takes to get to the letter or number you want to enter. It joined the wireless network within about 30 seconds.

Next I opened up the Epson printing app on my Android phone. It searched the home network and immediately found the printer. I ran a quick test to print an image from the phone to the printer and the test was successful. The app also allows you to print a document that you have saved to your phone, from online cloud storage (box, dropbox, evernote, google drive, and microsoft onedrive are the options here), a web page print (you have to load the page in the epson browser first), and you can also trigger a scan on the device from your phone (that's pretty clever but for me, not useful to scan remotely). The app also allows you to check ink status, do maintenance, and reorder ink right from your phone.

Next - scanning. I generally scan from within a graphic program like Paint Shop Pro - you can use a TWAIN driver easily with this device and you'll find scanning up to 2400dpi. I generally scan documents so that's way more than I need - but if you're scanning detailed photographs and images, there you go. Paint Shop Pro had no issue pulling the image in. More importantly - I tested it with my online banking which uses a java applet to connect to a scanner for depositing checks remotely. Worked the first time. Bravo.

Finally a word about design and styling. It doesn't hold a huge amount of paper in the back, and doesn't have native duplexing like you might find in other multi-function devices. I knew that in advance, no big deal to flip the paper around if you need to manually duplex. The styling and design is pleasing. It has a small form-factor and doesn't take up much room on the shelf. However, unlike my last multi-function device which had a paper storage tray underneath, this one is in the back and it's upright. That means you need to account for a little more vertical space in the back if you leave paper in it. Generally I prefer the tray underneath, but oh well.

The display and buttons are easy to use. There's a quick scan/copy button for B&W and Colour, as well as arrow and home keys for the main display. So far I haven't had to use the main display at all once I setup wireless connectivity - I can control it completely from the software on my computer.

I'm going to give the product a solid four stars. The print quality is excellent - both B&W and colour reproduce well on regular paper. Attaching to my home network was a snap, as was installation. The biggest issue was all the blue tape. I'd prefer a different way of loading paper (a tray vs. the slot in the back), and the Android/Apple app is a huge bonus - and works very well without being overdone.

Enjoy!

OXO Good Grips Professional 8-Inch Slicing Knife
OXO Good Grips Professional 8-Inch Slicing Knife
Price: $19.99
10 used & new from $13.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice grip, sharp blade, rocks well on a cutting board, October 5, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
There are a few criteria I use for any of my knives...sharpness out of the box, "Rockability" on a cutting board (if purchasing that kind of knife), and ease of holding / grip.

Right out of the box this slicing knife was sharp against tomato without any pulling of the skin. Equally well for apples and garlic. Although I've since sharpened it with a professional tool, it was ready-to-use right out of the box, so for those of you who don't have a sharpening device you will get immediate use from the product. We prefer to sharpen and hone the blades now and then - but your mileage may vary.

Next up - how it behaves on a cutting board. Here are the typical tests I run: smashing and mincing garlic, finely chopping herbs like oregano / thyme / cilantro, and a nice rocking slice of a vegetable like a bell pepper. In all three cases the slicing knife performed well. It was easy to use the center of the blade to smash a garlic clove, then give it a nice mince. The width of the blade doesn't give you too much of a surface for this, so be mindful of that. Chopping a batch of oregano worked just fine. The knife rocked on the cutting board with ease and made quick work of the task. Nice thin slices of bell pepper were also easy to accomplish because the knife doesn't get in the way of itself by being too wide or large.

Finally the grip - it's a squeezy kind of grip, not a firm surface like most professional knives. This didn't really get in my way - it was just different that most of the knives in my collection. The textured grip has some "give" to it when you squeeze it, so for those of you with arthritic hands you might find this knife more comfortable in your grasp.

I don't like to put knives like this in the dishwasher, but it cleans up with warm soapy water and a quick non-abrasive scrub. Hang it on a magnetic knife rack to dry because you may notice that the handle stays a bit moist longer than the blade does. I haven't noticed any moisture absorption to speak of, but it's not a smooth surface that you can just wipe completely dry...so just give it a few minutes and the moisture will evaporate.

Overall a solid 4 stars for usability, form, function.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20