Profile for Elise Winters-Huete > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 32

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Elise Winters-Huete RSS Feed (Austin, TX United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Early Learning Resources Universal Rolling Cart and Organizer Set, 16.5'' x 15'' x 16''
Price: $53.95
11 used & new from $40.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Elegant tool for every traveling teacher!!!, March 7, 2015
This rolling tote has saved my life!! The filing system allows me to get all my materials separated by class, while shared materials such as pens, markers, clips and manipulatives are all stored together. It is so much better than transferring materials from one canvas bag to the next.

After about a month of getting used to the tote, I decided that the rain flaps over each of the outside pockets were more trouble than they were worth, because I could not see what was in each of the pockets. So, I got a pair of scissors and trimmed them all off. The velcro still remaining on the pockets tended to catch on my clothes, so I trimmed the little pieces of velcro from the flaps and fastened these on. I did leave the main flap, which rests over the central bin; this has been helpful to protect papers, etc. in rainy weather.

With approximately six generous pockets on each exterior side (including the front 10x16x1 pocket, large enough for legal size paper), there is ample room. On the day violins needed to be handed out to students, I was able to make it from my car to the portable by stacking about six small-size violin cases (they are lightweight) resting on the top edges of the box, leaning on the telescoping handle.

The crate is simple to put together, lightweight, and quite sturdy for rolling purposes. When using the handles to lift it into my car the folding sides "give" a little, so I am careful not to push in the folding sides while lifting. The crate seems sturdy enough to last for many years of weekly use. The organization & peace of mind is well worth the money spent!!

CRONICA DEL PAJARO QUE DA CUERDA AL MUNDO
CRONICA DEL PAJARO QUE DA CUERDA AL MUNDO
by MURAKAMI HARUKI

5.0 out of 5 stars Imaginative, artistic writing, high-quality translation, March 6, 2015
The copy of the book referred to in this review (and ordered from this link) has the royal blue cover with the abstract painting. This is the same cover as can be seen on another Amazon link for Pajaro que Da Cuerda.

I read this for my book club, taking the opportunity to practice Spanish while the other members read in English. The translation is a collaboration between a native Japanese and native Spanish speaker, so has tremendous integrity. Also, this translation is an un-abridged version of the book (in contrast to the English edition), which in and of itself is a recommendation.

In spite of its 912 pages I found it to be a quick read, with a surprising amount of suspense given the (delightfully) quotidian nature of much of Murakami's writing. Unlike Cien Anos de Soledad, which I began years ago and found too complicated for a novice Spanish speaker, Cronica del Pajaro turned out to be quite approachable; I was able to appreciate the full content, mood & feeling of the book.

Most of the history of Japan was unfamiliar to me, so while the historical bits of the book moved more slowly, I nonetheless appreciated understanding the Japanese worldview more deeply. Late in my reading I read a Wikipedia article (on the showa period) that filled in some detail that most Japanese would consider common knowledge. In hindsight I wish I had looked up this information earlier, since this historical context pull together several subplots of Cronica del Pajaro.

This was my first experience of Haruki Murakami. I appreciated his incredible genius, imagination, insight and unique perspective. The book was a thoroughly enjoyable read.

Rothco White Parade Gloves - Small
Rothco White Parade Gloves - Small
Offered by Direct Premium Buys
Price: $1.75
7 used & new from $1.75

3.0 out of 5 stars Good gloves, fit very nicely, November 5, 2014
Good gloves, fit very nicely, cotton is soft. The decorative seams on the right glove are all quite crooked, otherwise would have been four or five stars. I just purchased these to keep lotion on my hands, though, so accurate detailing isn't an issue for my purposes. :)

Official Samsung 1.0A Home Wall AC Travel Charger Adapter with USB 2.0 Data Sync Charge Cable for Samsung Galaxy S III
Offered by PNE Enterprises, Inc.
Price: $5.40
3 used & new from $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Good charger, great price, December 9, 2013
I'm not sure what's going on with all the negative reviews ... I ordered this months ago and it works perfectly. I wish I could say more than that!! ... but not much to it. Very happy with the product.

Skagen Women's 456SGSG Leonora Quartz 2 Hand Stainless Steel Gold Watch
Skagen Women's 456SGSG Leonora Quartz 2 Hand Stainless Steel Gold Watch

5.0 out of 5 stars Elegant, simple, beautiful, December 9, 2013
The watch is very beautiful. Delicate gold face, beautiful diamond details. I have a delicate wrist (smaller than most watches), and the clasp is adjustable to any adult size. It just requires a narrow (flat, slender) screwdriver to pry open the clasp mechanism and slide it up and down the band. It took a few tries for me to find the correct adjustment for my wrist, but once it's adjusted you never have to change it.

As an aside, make sure not to lean the screwdriver on the cross-bar when adjusting it. This adjustment was not too difficult if you have moderate finger strength.

The watch dial is larger than the (tiny, slender) watch that it's replacing, but nonetheless very lightweight ... I leave it on all the time and never notice it on my arm. As a violinist this is important to me. It's very beautiful, perfect for wearing in a concert, but simple enough that it works equally well with jeans.

My only regret ... it's winter, so this beautiful watch is always hidden under my long-sleeve clothing!! I will look forward to seeing it of hiding when spring comes.

Harry Potter y el misterio del príncipe (Libro 6) (Spanish Edition)
Harry Potter y el misterio del príncipe (Libro 6) (Spanish Edition)
Price: $13.79

1.0 out of 5 stars Not actually a Kindle book!!, October 9, 2013
When you buy this book at Pottermore, it actually opens using another app (ePub reader) for Android phones. On my device the interface was very buggy. To start with, the book must be opened manually from your docs folder; no "whispernet" here. Next, there were no margins at all; you are constantly feeling the words are cut off, even though they're not. Chapter titles actually WERE halfway off the screen, with no scrolling possible. The app is much less sophisticated and intuitive than Kindle; so poorly designed that it feels somehow not legitimate, as though you are reading a pirated copy of the book!!

I do not recommend buying the so-called Kindle version from Pottermore. Get the paper version!

18 Rabbits Cheeky Cherry Chocolate, Organic Granola bar, 1.9-Ounce Bars (Pack of 12)

5.0 out of 5 stars traveling with Cheeky Cherry, December 14, 2012
My boyfriend & I just got back from a trip to Japan. We brought some food bars so we didn't have to rely so much on restaurants. We enjoyed this flavor the most of the 18 Rabbits bars we brought (Haute Diggity Date), and much more than the BumbleBar sesame bars. It's on the sweet side but not too sugary, and wonderful flavor.

High Sierra Sport Company 65 External Series Bobcat (Amazon)
High Sierra Sport Company 65 External Series Bobcat (Amazon)

3.0 out of 5 stars Great compartments, some design flaws, December 14, 2012
I got this backpack for a two-week (seven-city) trip to Japan. Its attractions were the many compartments, durable materials, and good price.

I loved the many compartments; it was easy to divide my toiletries, office supplies, gifts, and other items. It is durable, well-made, and has more room than most backpacks.

I was disappointed that the sleeping bag compartment was much too small to fit my (very ordinary) sleeping bag; this had to be tethered to the bottom of the frame with bungee cords. The straps provided to attach a sleeping bag were impractical, since they extended from the very top of the pack, instead of just where the sleeping bag was attached. With the bungee cords, the sleeping bag couldn't be lowered far enough, so it pushed into the backpack area, reducing the volume somewhat.

The backpack rides extremely high, and the weight definitely rested more on my lower back than my hips. I'm 5'4" and slender, so smaller than suggested; however, it seems to me that being taller would not have remedied its high-riding ways. Carrying the backpack was moderately comfortable; I have a strong back, so was able to compensate for any imbalances. My boyfriend enjoyed watching me get into it by elevating it on a chair and kneeling into the straps -- the bag itself is lightweight, but packed up it was as heavy as I was.

The pack has the appearance of being quite adjustable, but in practice it cannot be raised or lowered on the frame. You can raise the top of the frame to give you room to attach something up there (which would make it more top-heavy), but you can't raise the pack itself.

Some specific suggestions for travelers -- if you are taking the backpack as a checked bag, make sure to have a plan for securing the straps before you're standing in line at the airport. I was able to tie together some of the dangling straps and use bungee cords to secure the rest, but a stretchy cover might have been a better solution. I'm not sure how the rain guard could have accomplished this; you can pull it over the straps, but it only covers the back half and there's no clear way to attach the sides.

After carrying around our backpacks through Japan for two weeks (Tokyo, Kyoto and some smaller cities), my boyfriend and I both agreed that wheeled suitcases would have been MUCH more practical. Subways, buses and even shopping areas were difficult; each backpack takes up as much room as a person, and since it's behind you, it's hard to tell who you're about to smack with it. Having a wheeled suitcase would have been better than backpacks 98% of the time (stairs would be the only exception). Also the Japanese keep more polished appearances (shoes & dress) than in America; with suitcases we would have felt we weren't standing out so much!

I loved the many compartments of this bag (hard to find this feature!), but might ultimately have preferred one that fit and handled more easily.
Comment Comments (4) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 10, 2013 9:32 AM PDT

No Title Available

2.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but keep looking!, August 8, 2012
These do the job, but three complaints:
1) They are quite shallow - almost flat. I prefer a slightly more concave cup; my skin perspired much more in these b/c there was no breathing room at all.
2) They are very sticky to the touch! I have another pair that adheres just as well, but less sticky.
3) The edges are VERY thin, almost like cellophane ... I'm not wearing super-tight clothing to need these, and the very thin edges sometimes get folded over and stuck together.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Why Does He Do That?: Inside the Minds of Angry and Controlling Men
Why Does He Do That?: Inside the Minds of Angry and Controlling Men
by Lundy Bancroft
Price: $9.06
169 used & new from $3.36

5.0 out of 5 stars The masks of coercion, August 2, 2012
This book is the best I've read on the dynamics of abusive relationships ... whether that is emotional abuse, physical abuse, or other controlling / coercive behavior.

The author first addresses many of the myths that keep women stuck in abusive relationships (e.g. that their partner needs healing, or better conflict resolution skills, or anger management). He names and describes to all the strategies that abusers use to keep their partner from focusing on the problem ... including the various "types" of abusive strategies (e.g. Mr. Right, Victim, Water-Torturer, Mr.Sensitive, Terrorist) and the nuances of each strategy. Once you understand the psychology of the manipulation, you are no longer under its spell; it becomes easier to maintain one's power in the face of mind games.

The author distinguishes between false change (every abusive relationship has lulls of "good times"; the "improvement" may also be a conscious manipulation) and real change (involves not just behaviors, but underlying attitudes & values). For example, refraining from derogatory name-calling is superficial & temporary if, underneath, the abuser still thinks he's superior to his partner. The author demonstrates why couples therapy with an abuser is a REALLY bad idea, and why individual therapy for an abuser is an even worse idea.

The author shares many stories and dialogue to see the coercive dynamic clearly. Particularly illuminating are the moments he shares of accidental self-revelation by abusers in his groups.

One particularly good piece of information -- long-term change will ONLY happen as the result of external pressure (such as the threat of losing a valued relationship). The abuser's values system places his own self-interest first; other people are merely interesting possessions or extensions of himself. He doesn't respect his partner as having legitimate wishes, dreams and desires; her feelings do not merit genuine consideration. This ego-centric values system confers too many privileges to give up without an extremely strong external motivation.

The author understands that abusers have positive, endearing qualities worthy of admiration; his portrait of abusers is in no way cynical or unduly negative, but is straightforward & honest about the deep roots of abusive thinking and the hard work required for real change.

This is the best resource available for anyone whose partner is at all coercive, controlling, or emotionally or physically abusive; and for therapists and others who want to offer support and concrete wisdom to victims of abuse.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4