Profile for Cinnamon > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 39

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Cinnamon RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Microlab M850 40 Watt 2.1 Subwoofer Deluxe Multimedia Speaker for PC and Multimedia Entertainment
Offered by Fusion Imports
Price: $59.99
11 used & new from $40.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly Recommend These, January 9, 2014
I got this speakers through a deal on Walmart - since it was being sold for a great price, I decided to buy even though it was hard to find reviews of them online. I've owned different 2.1 and 5.1 computer speaker setups over the years, and have come to enjoy the kick the bass subwoofer adds, but also live in a small apartment so don't want overwhelming bass to rattle the building and upset all my neighbors. While there are surely more powerful speaker systems out there, I have found this one to be great for my needs, and highly recommend it.

APPEARANCE
Depending on your personal preference, you may either find these speakers to be very sleek and elegant, or somewhat ugly. I personally was drawn to the metal grills on the front of the speakers, since my dog sheds a lot and I hated having to constantly take dog hairs off my previous speakers' cloth grills. The speakers aren't obnoxiously large, but they are not as small and compact as some other speakers are. I have a pretty small desk and was concerned about this, but they fit fine and offer good sound.

SOUND
I never owned MicroLab speakers before this, but am pretty pleased with the sound they generate. I've listened to a variety of music and am pretty pleased with the results. My subwoofer is turned to only 50% of its possible bass, and I still feel the thump without being overwhelmed. In terms of volume of the speakers themselves, I tend to keep it down but even on a low setting I find them pretty powerful, and capable of producing rich sounds.

A FEW MORE THINGS
One of the things I enjoy about these speakers is that they have a small wired control pad (in the Amazon photo, that small round thing in front of the subwoofer) that allows you to turn the volume up and down, and to plug in headphones. I really appreciate that last part especially, since I have a crowded workstation and being able to run a headphone wire to the front of my monitor where the control pad rests, as opposed to the front of my computer tower, is immensely convenient. One thing I don't like, however, is that while I can silence the speakers by turning the volume all the way down, I still haven't been able to find a power button to turn them off. I just leave them on silent when they're not in use, but would much rather a clear On/Off button.

CONCLUSION
I'm very pleased with these speakers, and I highly recommend them to anyone looking for an affordable 2.1 setup.

Bornd M510S Water Resistant Wireless Keyboard & Mouse Combo (Black)
Bornd M510S Water Resistant Wireless Keyboard & Mouse Combo (Black)
Price: $17.96
16 used & new from $16.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but not Great, January 9, 2014
I bought this through a deal on Walmart, which included a set of Microlab M850 speakers. I was not in need of a wireless keyboard but was in the market for a wireless mouse, so I figured since this was on sale with speakers for a great price I'd just get the combo. Be aware from the start that only one wireless dongle is included, so you will not be able to use the mouse with one computer and the keyboard with another (unless you have another compatible dongle).

Ergonomically as a wireless keyboard, this is pretty good. I've worked with more comfortable keyboards - this seems to have a pronounced downward slope, even with the legs erect - but for the price, I think this is a minor inconvenience.

The mouse is very convenient to use, and in addition to a normal scroll wheel also has buttons on the side for "Back" and "Forward", which is very convenient.

While I like this set when it works, my major gripe is that the keyboard is very peculiar at times. Even with a full battery, and a clear line of sight to the dongle, some keys will just not work well. There was a time that no matter what I did, the 3, 6, and 9 on the number pad would not work unless I slammed them. I knew it wasn't about line of sight because the -, +, and Enter keys on the number pad, which are even further away from my dongle (which is close to the keyboard) worked flawlessly. It wasn't until one day I dropped my keyboard accidentally that I had the pleasant surprise of discovering now all the number pad keys work fine! But recently a few other keys started acting up, not responding well unless I slam them extremely hard. While this may seem like a minor gripe, it is very frustrating to have to slow down when typing documents to make sure letters aren't randomly missing, and to then have to really hit the key forcefully to get it to work. I don't know if my keyboard is defective, or if it's just a shoddy keyboard.

Overall, I think this is a pretty good combo for the value, but I've had too many issues with my keyboard to enthusiastically recommend the combo.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 10, 2014 11:29 PM PST

Uzbek vocabulary for English speakers - 9000 words
Uzbek vocabulary for English speakers - 9000 words
by Andrey Taranov
Price: $17.66
13 used & new from $17.66

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Useful Resource, January 9, 2014
I am trying to teach myself Uzbek, and was disappointed to see so few resources available, even on a place like Amazon! I decided to try this book out, and am very glad that I did. This book has a lot of very helpful vocabulary, organized very conveniently. This is one of the most comprehensive resources I found for English speakers trying to learn Uzbek.

I must caution you, however, that if you are a true beginner you may find it hard to learn Uzbek effectively relying on these vocabulary lists alone, and you may want to consider a supplement. I bought this along with Uzbek: An Elementary Textbook (by Nigora Azimova) which I ultimately had to return because the accompanying CD was defective, but while I had the textbook I found it much easier to learn the vocab effectively from this book when supplemented with a textbook. If you already have a background in Uzbek, this book of vocab will probably be okay just on their own.

i highly recommend this!

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Good Lock, July 17, 2012
I recently needed to buy another refrigerator lock since my last one broke, and was surprised to see the very bad reviews of this. While the product is definitely not perfect, I think it is worth considering.

I bought this refrigerator lock because I had come home a few times to find the refrigerator door opened. I don't have a child, but I do have a very smart - and apparently, bored - dog who has previously made other interesting adjustments to my apartment while left alone, like moving furniture, turning on the faucet, etc. I know it was the dog who did it because I on several occasions caught her in the act of her shenanigans on the video stream I turn on when I leave her alone.

I put it on the refrigerator door, and the problem was solved! But then the freezer door was being opened, instead...so I got another of these, and that problem was solved, too. I was very pleased with my purchase, since my dog is 75 pounds and very determined to get in, and hasn't been able to since...

Recently, however, I had some guests over who weren't familiar with how to open the locked door. The locked refrigerator door was pulled really hard throughout the night, before ultimately breaking - which is why I came back to Amazon to get another one. Even though the lock ultimately did break, it wasn't until one really hard pull at the end of a night that involved several people trying to open my fridge without remembering to press in to unlock that it finally broke.

While it is plausible that a very determined child could theoretically break the lock, in my experience it did a great job of keeping the fridge and freezer door locked. Only after months of my dog trying to open the door, and hours of friends inadvertently damaging the lock, did it ultimately break. Since it can be broken, I guess it might be more suitable for people with younger kids, as opposed to those with strong toddlers, but I think it is worth considering.

Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Lens
Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Lens
Price: $199.00
41 used & new from $162.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Lens (Even Greater for Full-Frame Cameras), June 25, 2012
Before going into the details of my review, I'd like to start off by saying...if you have the money on hand, you should immediately buy this lens. I am extremely pleased so far - this is a lightweight, yet solidly built, and extremely affordable performer. While two hundred bucks doesn't seem "affordable" at first, it delivers very solid results that you could expect from lenses that cost several times as much.

To give some background: I do shoot professionally, but got this lens mostly for personal use - I simply prefer the versatility of a zoom lens for professional work, although seeing the impressive results I might incorporate it for future assignments. I currently own two bodies, a 5D Mark II and a 7D. While my main lenses are high-end (the 24-105L, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, and 100mm Macro), since I started off with a Rebel series body I also am familiar with a lot of the cheaper lenses Canon sells, including the 50mm f/1.8. I really liked the 50 f/1.8 because of its convenient size - but by comparison to this lens, it now seems big!

I love this 40mm f/2.8 lens on both of my bodies, but find its focal range to be much more useful on a full-frame than crop-sensor body. Keep in mind that if you have a crop body, the effective focal length of this lens comes out to 64mm! Even at that length, you can still get impressive shots with beautiful bokeh, but in my experience 64mm was more inconvenient to work with than 40mm. I'd still recommend it for APS-C bodies though, because the image quality thus far has been very impressive.

PROS
* Very small lens, which allows for much more inconspicuous shooting if you want to blend into the background. This lens is tiny! Yes, mounted on a battery-gripped SLR you still stand out a bit, but not nearly as much as you do with most other lenses
* Very light - this is much more portable than any other lens I own. You could even carry it in a pocket.
* Great image quality. I really am impressed at the results based on the low price point
* Impressive build quality. This lens might be inexpensive, but it doesn't feel cheap.

CONS
* Hard to manually adjust focus. This is my only major gripe with this lens. It is doable, but it definitely takes getting used to. This is especially pronounced if you have big hands. That being said, I think the convenience of the small lens size makes up for this minor inconvenience.
* Yes, as some other reviewers have already mentioned, there is some vignetting wide open. This doesn't bother me too much as I find the vignetting to be acceptable, but some others might not like it even if it can be corrected in post-processing - it depends on personal preference

CONCLUSIONS
I will try to upload photos demonstrating this lens' ability in the next few weeks; in the meantime, some people have already added to the gallery here, and undoubtedly many pictures will start appearing on Flickr.

Some people will inevitably find the need to ask why I gave the lens 5 stars if there are some cons. For the price I paid for this lens, I am very happy with my results, and think the cons are outweighed by the pros. The size and weight of this lens are remarkable, and its optical performance is great for the price. Sure, you could compare this lens to much more expensive ones and find more shortcomings, but I think for most people's use, this lens is a terrific buy. The other reviewers thus far also seem to be happy with their purchase, which I think is a testament to the performance of this lens. I highly recommend you go for it!
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 16, 2014 7:10 AM PDT

Solid Gold Supplements Seameal Powder - 1lb
Solid Gold Supplements Seameal Powder - 1lb
Offered by Gulf Coast Pet Supplies
Price: $22.94
17 used & new from $17.45

4.0 out of 5 stars Wouldn't eat it, December 21, 2011
My dog wouldn't eat this supplement. It looks and smells basically like ground up seaweed, and my dog wouldn't eat her food for a few days while it was there, which was a little frustrating.

I ended up giving it to my mom who has a megaesophagus dog, and a few geriatric dogs, and from her she reported their coats were looking better. They all ate it with no problems.

Just keep in mind that it doesn't resemble anything dog food related, so if your dog needs a meaty smell or flavor to eat, it doesn't really work with this product.

Linatone Dog Shed Relief Food Supplement, 32-Ounces
Linatone Dog Shed Relief Food Supplement, 32-Ounces
Offered by Fat Happy Pets
Price: $17.91
15 used & new from $13.95

5.0 out of 5 stars My dog will eat!, December 21, 2011
So, I have a long hair German shepherd. Which means I have constant hair tumbleweeds about the size of softballs traveling around the apartment. Since getting this product, shedding may have cut down a small amount, but more importantly her coat looks beautiful. Soft and glamorous. I even think she's been able to go without a bath for longer without getting greasy, if that's not my imagination.

I actually got this because I had not been able to find a vitamin solution that she would eat (very picky dog, surprisingly enough for a dog found on the streets). I tried seameal but she ended up not eating for a couple of days until we took it out. Even just kibble alone she picks at. With linatone, she now waits until we put it in and then gobbles up her bowl.

I'm not honestly sure if it has cut down on the shedding. If anything it's given us a couple more days post-vacuuming, but we still have to vacuum often enough that it's not too noticeable. But the 5-stars comes from the fact it is a vitamin supplement our picky dog will eat, and hopefully inside it is nourishing her nicely.

--on a side note - did anyone notice their dog played less while using this? She seems to be tiring more easily...maybe she's just eating more? Not sure if it's the supplement at all, maybe the timing just seems to add up...anyone had anything similar?
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 3, 2013 12:40 PM PST

20 Replacement Squeakers, Medium,   by Downtown Pet Supply
20 Replacement Squeakers, Medium, by Downtown Pet Supply
Offered by DogStuff-4u
Price: $7.99
2 used & new from $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars They squeak., December 21, 2011
Just got these yesterday. I actually did what a previous reviewer suggested and made a dog toy out of socks. So far my dog, who I believe has a day job as a professional squeak destroyer when I'm not around, has not destroyed this squeaker. She is a german shepherd with a tough bite, and did I mention a propensity to work on squeaking toys until they die?

This is a great price to keep toys alive. Loud squeaks, seemingly durable, great quantity for the price.

Pacific Natural Foods Soup, Cashew Carrot Ginger, 32-Ounce Cartons (Pack of 12)
Pacific Natural Foods Soup, Cashew Carrot Ginger, 32-Ounce Cartons (Pack of 12)
2 used & new from $80.27

5.0 out of 5 stars The Perfect Soup, October 18, 2011
I first tasted carrot soup a couple months ago at a restaurant and really liked it so when I saw this in the supermarket I picked it up (not too much of a ginger fan). At first taste it was different than what I was expecting but I LOVE THIS SOUP. It is SO warming and SO filling. It is hearty, sweet, spicy, savory, gorgeous color, indulgent, and really something special. I will be drinking this soup all throughout winter and probably forever. It's a struggle not to go warm up some more right now...

Pacific Natural Foods Soup, Cashew Carrot Ginger, 16-Ounce Pouches (Pack of 12)
Pacific Natural Foods Soup, Cashew Carrot Ginger, 16-Ounce Pouches (Pack of 12)

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, will drink forever, October 18, 2011