Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Subscribe & Save Valentine's Day Cards Knock snow out cold Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com Sale
Profile for Sherrill Leslie > Reviews

Browse

Sherrill Leslie's Profile

Customer Reviews: 69

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Sherrill Leslie RSS Feed (Bloomington, Illinois United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Music Boxes Easy Listening
Music Boxes Easy Listening
Price: $8.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Good music for work, April 16, 2012
I bought this to add to my collection of instrumental easy listening music "elevator music" for listening to while I am at work. The music helps me concentrate better on my work. I like this album all the songs sound pretty much the same light plinky music. I will probably purchase more Porter music box music.

The Penguins of Madagascar - Nintendo DS
The Penguins of Madagascar - Nintendo DS
Offered by You Name the Game
Price: $14.50
62 used & new from $1.94

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun game for all ages., February 27, 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I enjoyed this game. It is very time consuming game. If you have a long car trip or something that you need to kill a lot of time this is a great game. You work with the penguins to solve puzzles. Each penguin has a special ability and you have to switch between the different penguins to solve the puzzles.
Skipper, the lead penguin, has the ability to jump farther than the other penguins and he can lead the other penguins.
Rico has the ability to blow up things.
Kowalski has the ability to build machines, pick locks, and hack computers.
Private has the ability to crawl through tubes.
There is a story that goes along with the game too. King Julian (the Lemur) orders the other animals in the zoo to put together a birthday party for him. The penguins need to build a birthday cake and other things along the way and work with the monkeys, bears and other animals in the game. Through the game you pick up snow cones like money in the game. As you pick up more snow cones you unlock more levels in the game. The game makes use of the touch screen to switch between penguins and using the stylus to pick locks. There are also parts of the game that use the microphone to blow dust off objects in the game. There are mini-games that use the DSi cameraNintendo DSi - White. I had a little problem with one of the parts of the game, Operation Touchy Feely, that did not work well with 3DSNintendo 3DS - Aqua Blue. This part of the game you have to use the stylus to move a flashlight around a wall and search for clues. It worked with the 3DS but it seemed buggy. I did not understand the purpose of some of the obstacles in the game like water spouts. I do not understand the point of creating an obstacle that you are able to just walk though without any penalty? One of the best parts of the game is the audio clips of the Penguins taken from the movies. There are lots of funny one liners that the Penguins say throughout the game.

Nintendo 3DS Aqua Blue
Nintendo 3DS Aqua Blue
68 used & new from $95.40

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the new 3DS but miss some DSi features, January 13, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I received a 3DS for Christmas. I have had all the Nintendo portable games and naturally thought that I would like this one as well. I really do like the 3DS. The main feature of the 3DS over other games is the 3D gaming. I was not sure that I would like this when I first looked at the game. I had read reviews of the game from many people since it's release last year but I was not able to actually demo one until right before Christmas. The one that I looked at in the store quickly gave me a head ache and made me think I did not want to buy the 3DS. Since getting one I have gotten used to the 3D and really enjoy it in some games. The games that make best use of the 3D are the games that come pre-installed with the 3DS. Face Raiders and AR Games are really cool games. What I did not expect to enjoy with the 3DS are all the other new feature that Nintendo has put into the 3DS that separate it from previous consoles. They have more immersive game play features like Street Pass and the pedometer that encourage taking the 3DS with you everywhere so you are essentially playing the 3DS all the time. The 3DS has a sleep mode so that it can stay connected and receive software updates continuously. I like the analog joystick of the 3DS something I wish Nintendo had put in a long time ago. The charge dock is really nice and goes along with the increased usage of the 3DS.

My only major complaint of with the 3DS is the photo features of the 3DS are not nearly as nice as the DSi. With the 3DS you can take 3D and 2D pictures and store them on the 3DS and there are some photo editing features but not nearly as many as the DSi. On the DSi you can tag photos and group them into favorite categories. You can draw beards and wigs on people and many more funny things that are not available with the 3DS. My daughter would spend hours playing with this feature of the DSi taking pictures of friends and family and editing the pictures in funny ways. People complain about the poor quality of the DSi camera but some of the pictures I took turned out really well. The DSi also has a Facebook upload capability that you cannot do with the 3DS. To upload your pictures with the 3DS you have to take the memory card out insert it in a computer and upload them manually.

Speaking of the memory card a better feature of the 3DS over the DSi is everything is now stored on the memory card instead of some data stored in the console's memory and some stored on the memory card. I had problems with the DSi having to shuffle around data from the console to the memory card and back to work with certain programs. The game comes with a 2G memory card which is worthless. I would purchase at least an 8G memory card with this. I bought a 16G card.

Likes
3D is pretty cool
I like the slick iridescent paint job on the new 3DS.
Analog joy stick
Face raiders is pretty cool
Netflix
Taking notes in games although the one game that I thought that would be really helpful it does not work with.
You can do new 3D graffiti with your photos
I like the more immersive game play features of street pass that encourage you to take your 3DS everywhere. So, you are essentially playing your 3DS all the time.
You can record 3D video
They added a picture viewer to the music animations.
The charge dock is really nice.
Battery life is better than DSi
3D video channel from Nintendo
Web browser is much better than DSi
Parental controls are better not that I care about that but it is something to mention.
AR games is really cool

Dislikes
Smaller bottom screen
Photo integration not nearly as good as DSi you do not have the pictures showing up on the welcome screen you cannot tag your photos to organize them into favorites. You cannot upload to Facebook. You do not have as many options for graffiti with your photos as before.
There is no Pico Chat for 3DS
No Flipnotes either
The animations that are available for the music player are not a nice.
The animation when you download new apps is not as cute as it was on DSi.

Margaritaville DM0500 Bahamas 36-Ounce Frozen-Concoction Maker
Margaritaville DM0500 Bahamas 36-Ounce Frozen-Concoction Maker
Offered by Hi5 Deals
Price: $173.99
25 used & new from $120.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Machine! Better Than Just A Blender!, January 21, 2011
I got the Margaritaville DM0500 Frozen Concoction Maker as a gift for Fathers Day. I thought what a waste of money we already have a KitchenAid KSB5WH 5-Speed Blender, White that we use to make margaritas. I was wrong. This machine makes fantastic frozen margaritas. And it makes better tasting frozen drinks, because of the ice shaver, than even a high quality blender like the Kitchen Aid Ultra Power. I love the automatic setting of the Bahama the best. You load your ice and alcohol into the machine and press the green button and it automatically shaves and blends and shaves a little more and blends fast and slow until it makes the perfect margarita. There is also a rocker switch to blend/shave manually but I never use it. I also love all the little design touches on the machine with the little palm trees painted on the machine. I use the machine so much that for Christmas I got the travel bag for the machine. However, as much as I love the machine it's claims of restaurant quality margaritas at home falls short. The only way to create restaurant quality frozen drinks is with a commercial slushy machine like the Bunn 34000.0010 15.1 L Black Gourmet Ice Machine - Model ULTRA-2 PAF. This is what most restaurants use to make frozen concoctions. I know because I rented one for my wedding and investigated buying one. However, they are not practical for home use as they are designed to make frozen concoctions in 20 gallon batches.

Kung Zhu with Gift - Nintendo DS (Limited Edition with Hamster)
Kung Zhu with Gift - Nintendo DS (Limited Edition with Hamster)
Offered by AJay's Super Store
Price: $7.34
51 used & new from $1.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute Game for Young Children, January 20, 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This game is very easy. It is clearly designed for young children. It is a standard side scroll 2D play game. You go through different levels jumping over objects, using Kung Zhu karate chops to defeat enemy hamsters, collecting coins and saving your Kung Zhu hamster friends. As you move through the game you gain fighting abilities and armor but there is no strategy to the game where you must earn nun chucks, for example, to defeat a certain level. You can go through the whole game with the same original character if you want. I bought this game for my 7 year old. I played the game also because I had gotten bored with all my (adult) DS games. Even though the game is easy, I found a way to make it more challenging by trying to complete each level with a perfect score of 200. I was annoyed that the game cartridge did not come in a jewel case like most DS games. In fact, it was not even secured in the box. It almost got lost while trying to free the toy hamster from all the twist ties.

As far as the hamster itself, it is the same Zhu Zhu pet hamster as the other Zhu Zhu pets except this one has lightning bolts stitched in the fur and it makes some more aggressive Kung Zhu sounds instead of the cute sounds of the other Zhu Zhu pets. It also comes with Kung Zhu battle armor. The little motor is not strong enough to propel the pet around when the armor is placed on. So, the armor is more just for looks.

SpongeBob SquarePants: The Creature from the Krusty Krab for Nintendo DS
SpongeBob SquarePants: The Creature from the Krusty Krab for Nintendo DS
Offered by DealTavern
Price: $18.99
51 used & new from $2.90

3.0 out of 5 stars Controls are frustrating!, January 20, 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This is a standard side scroll 2D play game. You play as Spongebob, Patrick and Plankton and move through different levels jumping over objects and collecting coins (sleepy seeds). The storey is OK the graphics are OK but neither are exceptional. This would be a simple game except the game controls are so frustrating. All the character movements are done with the stylus?! You swipe left to go left, swipe right to go right, swipe up to jump etc. There is no option to use the D-Pad to control your character. I am sure Nintendo loves to produce games like this so you will wear out the touch screen sooner and have to buy another DS. There are some cute video clips between levels of the game. I also enjoyed playing as Plankton. This is the only game I have had where you can play as Plankton.

2.4GHz RF Wireless Keyboard with Smart Touchpad Mouse for MCE Media Center Edition

5.0 out of 5 stars Works just fine for what I want, January 12, 2011
This keyboard works just fine for what I want it to do. All I got it for is to connect to my Windows Media Center HTPC so I can do limited computer stuff that cannot be done with the Windows Media Center remote control. I use my computer primarily as an HTPC but when I need to type a password or check my Facebook page or my e-mail it was very difficult with the wired keyboard. I would have to sit on the floor and crane my neck to look up at my 52" flat screen TV. With this keyboard I can sit on the couch. I have a large room and have not had any problem with dropping signal. The touch panel mouse works fine although I have not used any advanced features. Installation was easy and it does not interfere with my wired keyboard and mouse. The Windows Media Center specific features work great too. The reason I chose this keyboard is because it is specially designed for Windows Media Center and I could see the green button in the photos. The keyboard doubles as a Windows Media Center remote control.

Nintendo DSi - White
Nintendo DSi - White
Offered by Venture Tradings
Price: $134.75
81 used & new from $32.93

4.0 out of 5 stars Some nice new features, January 11, 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Nintendo DSi - White (Video Game)
I got my new DSi for Christmas from my wife. I have had all the Nintendo handhelds so naturally this begs comparison with the DS Lite.

The I in DSi is for Internet. I like the internet browser but it leaves a lot to be desired. I can surf the internet to mobile friendly pages and check sports scores and check my Facebook page and check the weather but that is about it. Downloading web pages is very slow and, of course, there is no flash or video. The main purpose of the internet feature is to give the ability to purchase games online. I think that downloading video games off the DSiWare site is a neat idea but all the games I have looked at on the site do not appeal to me. There are no free games on the site either. It would be nice if you could download free demos of games.

I love the SD card slot. I love having music on my DSi and using it as a music player and the animations that they have during the music are a lot of fun. Music capability is something that I had wished for in the DS from the beginning. I wish that you could listen to your music while playing games the way you can with a Playstation or Xbox.

Some people have said that there is enough memory in the game that you do not need to use the SD Card slot. I guess that is true depending on how you use the game. If you want to surf the internet with the built in browser you will run out of memory quickly loading even the most basic pages. When I got the game at Christmas I took about 20 photos and then tried to use the internet and kept getting out of memory messages. Then I transferred all the photos to an SD Card and the problem went away. Also, if you want to listen to music you have to use an SD card. If you download any games off DSiWare site I would recommend you have a memory card and a pretty big one at that.

The camera is kind of neat. I love that the DSi has Facebook integration so you can take pictures with the camera and upload them directly to Facebook. The camera is poor quality and there is no flash. I like that when you turn the game on it greets you with a different picture from your photo gallery.

I hate that they got rid of the Gameboy Advance slot from DS Lite. I had always kept Star Wars Trilogy: Apprentice of the Force in the GBA slot so wherever I went with my DS Lite I had at least two games with me to play. Also, now I will not be able to use my rumble pack for Star Fox. Of course, there were whiners that were mad they could not play their old black and white Game Boy games on DS when it first game out.

I really hate the lack of wireless security with DSi. It advertises on the box that the new DSi supports WPA2 AES and WPA / TKIP pre-shared key authentication. However you cannot use this with any of the games. The only wireless security supported is WEP.

**Update**
Many people griped about the poor quality of the camera and it is true that is is not a very high quality camera. However it is a lot of fun to take pictures with the DSi and there is photo editing software in the DSi that you can draw mustaches and funny hair etc. on people. My daughter loves it. She can play for hours with this feature of the DSi alone.

I also downloaded a great game from DSiWare PHOTO DOJO. It is a fighting game where you create characters by photographing yourself in fighting poses and recording your own sound effects. I have had so much fun with this game. I have bought costumes to create more characters. My daughter has also made charaters. You can play the game against the computer or against other people. And it is one of the least expensive games on DSiWare site.

KitchenAid Blender Rubber Coupler, 9704230 with Removal Tool
KitchenAid Blender Rubber Coupler, 9704230 with Removal Tool
Offered by Goodman's
Price: $13.49
3 used & new from $13.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Tool needed modifying to work with Kitchen Aid Ultra Power, August 11, 2010
The rubber coupler wore out on my Kitchen Aid Ultra Power blender after years of smoothies, daiquiris and margaritas. I was searching Amazon considering buying a new Kitchen Aid blender when I ran across this repair kit. The repair tool is absolutely necessary to get the old part off. However, it did not fit my blender. I had to file down one edge of the tool on my bench grinder to fit it between the metal posts that surround the coupler on my model blender. It was not a big deal but I thought I would point it out in my review. ALSO, I had trouble getting the old part off and the new one on because the coupler is REVERSE THREADED. DUH! Once I figured that out it went just fine.

Pirates of the Caribbean Dead Man's Chest - Nintendo DS
Pirates of the Caribbean Dead Man's Chest - Nintendo DS
Offered by Books Records & Things
Price: $15.00
88 used & new from $0.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Great button slammer action game., July 9, 2010
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I got this game out of the bargain bin at my local store so I had had low expectations. I had been looking for a good fighting adventure game for DS. I had low expectations because movie adapted games are usually not very good. They are about as good as movies adapted from video games. They usually have a story that only loosely follows the movie and are put together in a short time to cash in on the success of the movie. I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the 3D graphics in this game. Much of the game takes place in jungles and old castle type settings. The animation is very good. The sound is also very good. There are little "one liners" from the movie that the characters say. During the jungle scenes, the sounds of birds and wind in the trees and water are super (for DS). There are also bits of music from the movie. Many gamers play DS with the volume on mute. You should take a second and put on headphones to appreciate the quality of the sound in this game. There is a storey that loosely follows the movie. This is a great button slammer game you have to defeat wave after wave of bad guys as you advance through levels of the game. You gain additional powers as you move through the game. You can play as Jack Sparrow, Elizabeth Swann and Will Turner. Each player has signature move that you get as you advance through the game. I enjoyed that part of the fighting strategy in the game is looking for things to throw at the bad guys. It would have been nice if there was a little more gore in the game the bad guys just fade away when they die. It would be nice if there was blood splashing and cutting off heads etc. but this is a Disney game. There are little animated vignettes that follow the storey as you move through the game which are surprisingly good for DS. With any DS game review I like to comment on how well the designers use the dual screen, the wireless and touch screen of the game. The game makes some use of the dual screen most of the action is on the top screen. The bottom screen only shows which weapon you are currently using and how much gold you have collected. There is very limited use of the touch screen. There are some mini games between levels that you use the touch screen. The touch screen is used so little that when it switches to the mini game I would die at first because I did not know to switch to the stylus. It would be nice to be able to switch between weapons with the stylus especially since the touch screen shows you the status of each weapon. This game uses Wi-Fi for two player cooperative play. I did not have an opportunity to try this but reading other reviews it sounds like fun. It would be nice if you could go to Nintendo Wi-Fi connect and meet other players to play cooperative adventures. Another complaint with almost all DS games is, while this does have some voices during play, the storey it told through text. Why can't they have voices read the text of each character? Lastly, the entire game is walking around fighting bad guys. It would have been nice if they had a level or two where you pilot the Black Pearl around and have a naval battle against the Flying Dutchman similar to the way Lego Bat Man gives you levels where you drive the Bat Mobile and Bat Boat.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7