Profile for Sherrill Leslie > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 68

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Sherrill Leslie RSS Feed (Bloomington, Illinois United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars - Nintendo DS
Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars - Nintendo DS
Offered by Fulfillinc
Price: $38.57
38 used & new from $13.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome DS game for adults! Parents heed M rating!, April 23, 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
Grand Theft Auto Chinatown Wars is one of the best games I have played for DS. Since my local video store now rents DS games I think this is a much more authoritive statement than when I only owned and experienced maybe 10 games for my Gameboy. The story is all new for this version for DS instead of a copy of another version. The view is top down which does not sound very good but the way the cars and buildings and all are drawn I was very impressed by the graphics. There are many features in the game that are special for DS too. You use the stylus to hotwire cars and defuse bombs etc. You also use the stylus to navigate the GPS and read e-mails on your PDA within the game. Parents should heed the M rating for this game there is A LOT of sex, violence and drug references. So much that I would not play the game in a public place for fear of offending someone looking over my shoulder. That is one of my theories why there never used to be any M rated games for Gameboy. There are online parts of the game too. You can play different games on the internet with other people. You can race against other people. You can perform cooperative missions with people on the internet too. You can upload your game statistics to Rock Star Games which give you a place to track your character stats and meet other players of the game. Your can build a web page within Rock Star Games web site to interact with other players similar to a Facebook page.

Drawn To Life: Spongebob Squarepants
Drawn To Life: Spongebob Squarepants
Offered by DealTavern
Price: $19.70
113 used & new from $1.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Great game! Much better than I expected., January 8, 2009
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I rented this game at my local video store. It was the last game they had left for rent that day. I was amazed at how much I loved the game! I could not put it down for a week. The game is very engrossing asking you to draw many of the characters in the game and cars, weapons, tools etc. It makes great use of the dual screen of the DS and uses both the D Pad buttons for input as well as the stylus. There is a lot of reading. The game difficulty gets hard after the first level. On the box it looks like a game for small children but because of the difficulty it is better suited for the adult who is a kid at heart. I ended up buying the game because I enjoyed renting it so much.

Monster Jam - Nintendo DS
Monster Jam - Nintendo DS
Offered by DealTavern
Price: $59.88
18 used & new from $2.49

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty good game. Could be a lot better., October 14, 2008
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Monster Jam is a pretty good game. The graphics during the game are pretty good but they could be better. I would not expect the quality of graphics of Xbox360 but the graphics are poor by DS standards too. The graphics in the intro menus are great! You do not see the damage to your vehicle as in the Xbox 360 version of the game. All the top trucks are represented as are several real stadiums leading up to the world finals in Las Vegas. The music and sound effects seem to be recorded badly they all sound distorted somehow. I do like that it has the voice of the commentator instead of stupid text scrolling on the bottom of the screen. In the game you earn extra turbo boost for smashing items. The turbo boost gauge should be moved to the bottom screen or there should be an option to move it to the bottom screen. It is hard to see where you are going sometimes with the position of the boost gauge. When you advance a level or unlock new trucks there is no message. You can play via WiFi with a pier to pier connection but you cannot play over the internet as in other DS games.

No Title Available

1.0 out of 5 stars Works very poorly. Not powerful enough., August 31, 2008
This product was provided for me by my company. Even though I did not buy it, I still I had to call in some favors internally in my company to get it approved by my manager. I hoped that this would be easier to carry by eliminating multiple power adapters on business trips and thereby make me more productive. I do have the correct power tips for everything and the adapter does work, sort of. Targus claims this is a 90W power supply. However, it just barely meets the power requirments of my laptop. If you do not plug in everything in the right order and keep your fingers crossed and say a little prayer it will fail. I called my company tech support and Targus tech support and they said that is the way it is supposed to work?! For example, if you have it plugged in charging and running the computer and the turn on the CDROM the spike in power usage will cause it to overload. The overload protection in the device is way too sensative. AND it does not have enough power to charge my extended life battery only the standard laptop battery. In DC mode it only has enough power to charge the battery with the laptop off. I have used the adapter with HP and Dell computers and had the same results with both. I would not recommend this product to anyone! If you need an AC/DC power adapter spend the extra money and buy the OEM model. Dell's AC/DC power adapter (which is actually made by Sony) works great.

Ultimate Mortal Kombat
Ultimate Mortal Kombat
Offered by MOST WANTED
Price: $17.09
43 used & new from $11.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great DS game for online play, March 10, 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this game because I was looking for another game for DS that would utilize the wireless online play feature of the DS. This is the classic Mortal Combat fighting game. I was only a minor fan of the game when it was originally in arcades. As far as I can tell the DS version of the game is complete. I also bought this game partly because it was the only M rated game I have found for DS. It has all the characters from the original game and all the blood and gore and fatalities from the original game. I was also pleasantly surprised by the high quality of the graphics in sub menus for the game and the audio in the DS version might be better than the original game. The dual screen feature of the game is utilized too with the top screen displaying the combo moves for a particular character and the bottom screen displaying the fighting. Unfortunately, I am terrible at this game and the only time I tried out the online play I was beaten almost instantly. The DS game has a second mini game built in that I have grown to really like. The second game is a puzzle game similar to Tetris with blocks that fall from the top and build up. The twist is that this is a fighting puzzle game. One screen shows Mortal Combat characters fighting. The bottom screen shows the puzzle game. As you win at the puzzle game the character wins at the fight as well.

Nintendo DS Lite Cobalt / Black
Nintendo DS Lite Cobalt / Black
113 used & new from $39.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great New Evolution in Gamboy Series., March 7, 2008
This review is from: Nintendo DS Lite Cobalt / Black
This is a great new evolution in the Nintento Gameboy series of portable games. My wife bought this for me for Valentine's Day. I have owned each generation of Gameboy game. This one is really nice and more than just an evolution it has many new features that make it much better than its predecessor. I wanted to get a Nintendo DS for the wireless on-line game play capabilities. The only game I have bought so far Mario Cart uses this feature. This game and several others allow the user to go online through a Wi-Fi connection and play with against other people all over the world. Nintendo DS does not support WPA / TKIP pre-shared key authentication. I had to lower the security level of my home router to WEP authentication so I could play the game. There is also a way to display the MAC address of the game if your router does MAC filtering. Nintendo DS also adds additional game play with the addition of the touch screen and microphone. I never purchased the original DS. I like the sleek styling of the DS Lite. When it is closed it does not look like a toy. It looks like a sleek PDA or cell phone. I like that there are many games for DS that are more targeted toward adults and browsing through the new game titles there are even a few for DS that are rated T and M. Before the only games for Gameboy were E rated games. I love the new packaging for Nintendo DS games. They all come in a really nice jewel case that has a place for the game cartridge to clip in and a place for an additional memory card to clip in. AND they come with a little instruction booklet. I hated that old Gameboy and Gameboy Advance games came with no instructions. You open the box take out the cartridge and that's it. Some included a safety pamphlet that said do not eat the cartridge... possible choking hazard etc. but no instructions. I have read many reviews that the DS Lite is much more fragile than previous Gameboy games. I have not owned the game long but I would agree. The original Gamboy was housed in very tough plastic this is not. Another minor complaint with the DS Lite is it is not as ergonomic as previous Gameboy games. I find my thumbs and wrists beginning to hurt much sooner with this game.

Mario Kart DS
Mario Kart DS
Offered by Studiocoolgames
Price: $28.44
231 used & new from $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Must have game for Nintendo DS, March 7, 2008
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: Mario Kart DS (Video Game)
This game is a lot of fun! I bought the game for the online game play. This works well and is a lot of fun. I am getting frustrated trying to figure out how to unlock additional cars that you get as you move farther into the game. It is not much fun when you play online with one of the standard cars and someone else has a much faster car. I was surprised at all the other things in the game that you can play. There are missions that you play against the computer. There are numerous tracks in the game too. The graphics are great. This game is also a must have for DS because it introduces the user to all the new features of DS You can create custom graphics for your car in one part of the game with the stylus. And there are parts of the game that require the user to speak into the microphone. Nintendo DS does not support WPA / TKIP pre-shared key authentication. I had to lower the security level of my home router to WEP authentication so I could play the game. This is my first DS game. I love the new packaging for Nintendo DS games. They all come in a really nice jewel case that has a place for the game cartridge to clip in and a place for an additional memory card to clip in ( For other games I suppose not this one) AND they come with a little booklet with instructions. I hated that old Gameboy and Gameboy Advance games came with no instructions. You open the box take out the cartridge and that's it. Some included a safety pamphlet that said do not eat the cartridge... possible choking hazard etc. but no instructions.

Canon Deluxe Gadget Bag 100EG
Canon Deluxe Gadget Bag 100EG
Price: $24.95
16 used & new from $16.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Great bag for S3-IS with 58mm extended lens, January 28, 2008
I like the bag! It has enough room for the Canon PowerShot S3-IS with the LA-DC58E 58mm extended lens adapter and UV filter installed and room for the LH-DC40 lens hood. That was the primary purpose that I bought the new camera bag for. It also has enough room to store cables and batteries. There is a thin zipper pocket within the main pocket that I assume is intended for cables. You would think they would include suggestions on what each pocket should be used for. The main pocket has Velcro dividers too. The outside pocket has two special round shaped pockets for lens filters. I thought that was pretty cool. And there is another one of the long thin zipper pockets for more cables. The top lid wraps, zips and snaps over the whole thing to protect both pockets. I was pleasantly surprised at the high quality of fabric and zippers that the bag is made with. There is a carry handle on the top, a shoulder strap and a waist strap so you can wear the bag like a fanny pack although; I have not tried that feature yet. I think it would be nice if they had made one accordion shaped pocket to put papers in; like an owner's manual. Also, since this bag is most likely going to be used for digital cameras, I am surprised there are no special little tiny pockets for memory cards the way Port/Targus bags have.

Canon 6255A003 Neck Straps for Eos Rebel Series - Pro Neck Strap
Canon 6255A003 Neck Straps for Eos Rebel Series - Pro Neck Strap
Price: $21.29
18 used & new from $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Works Well for Powershot S3 IS Also, January 7, 2008
I have the Canon Powershot S3IS. This is a great camera but the neck strap that came with it was poor quality and too short. Canon makes an upgraded leather strap for the Powershot S3IS but I did not like the looks of it either. I bought this a strap at a camera store the salesman allowed me to try it on before buying it. The strap fits through the S3IS buckles. I was afraid it would be too thick. At first I thought it looked a little dorky this huge strap on my camera but it is so much more comfortable to wear than my old strap and then if you add accessory lenses to the S3IS it is really nice. No one has commented to me yet about an EOS strap on a lesser Powershot camera. It is too bad Canon does not make a quality strap like this with Powershot embroidered on it. I would highly recommend this to anyone with the S3IS or the new S5IS.

Fisher Price Kid Tough Digital Camera - Pink
Fisher Price Kid Tough Digital Camera - Pink
Offered by V'-n-A TOY SUPER STORE
Price: $299.80
17 used & new from $5.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Kids Camera, December 29, 2007
This is a great camera for little kids! My daughter is 4. She often asks to use my adult cameras to take pictures or wants to hold my adult digital cameras to view pictures and carry it around showing the pictures to other people. I own some expensive cameras. I thought this would be a great gift for her to try taking pictures herself. I read other reviews about the poor picture quality and was a little skeptical but I also read reviews of how much fun the camera was and how easy it was for the child to learn to use. I got the camera for my daughter for Christmas. She loves it. She was able to take pictures with it right away. She took pictures of everyone at Christmas. She also took the camera to her pre-school and took pictures of all her class mates. I put in an old 16M SD memory card that I had, which gives nearly infinite picture capacity at the low resolution of this camera. The camera is very durable. The pink plastic handles are large rubber bumpers that protect the camera lens and display. The picture quality is lousy. This camera has 640X480 resolution. My first digital camera many years ago, when digital camera technology was fairly new, was a 640X480 resolution camera. I thought this would have comparable pictures to that. It is worse. It has picture quality about like a cell phone camera.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7