Profile for Bruce M. Judd > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 4

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Bruce M. Judd RSS Feed (USA)

Bosch 1529B 18 Gauge Nibbler, Blue
Bosch 1529B 18 Gauge Nibbler, Blue
Price: $349.99
10 used & new from $349.99

3.0 out of 5 stars This is not for metal roofing, September 14, 2012
Elsewhere on the www a few people advocate nibblers as the way to trim and fit standing seam metal roofing. That's bunk - absolutely incorrect advice. But I bought this tool before learning that. Irregardless, this tool has some limitations. Not variable speed - very bad. We do shop fab for other than roofing and I don't see how this tool can be useful there - punch is round - so it is not possible to create a straight edge, even with a fence. Head does rotate as advertised, but only to 4 points on the compass. I found multiple situations where positions other than 0/90/180/270 were needed. If you loosen the setscrew enough to rotate the head, the whole head can fall out in your hands. Requires about 10 turns before head can be rotated - rotating is clumsy and slow and can't be done while punching. Generally a poor design around the head. We have some Bosch tools that are pretty good quality and worth a few extra $. This one is overpriced. Go get a Kett for $100 less - there's no superior quality here.

Rockport Work Men's RK6741 Work Shoe
Rockport Work Men's RK6741 Work Shoe

2.0 out of 5 stars So-so shoes, September 14, 2012
These appear in every way to be the same shoes Wolverine sold previously. The Wolverine pair lasted only a few years before seams started coming loose. I hoped Rockport had taken that design and used better materials. So far not so good. The tongue on one shoe is sewn in crooked - hangs to the side all the time. Eyelets have no grommets, so laces don't slide, making the shoe hard to lace up / unlace. Fit is mediocre - Rockport added some kind of roll padding around the ankle and it keeps the shoe loose all the time. But it's steel toe EH and lighter than boots, so guess I'll wear until the seams start letting go. Reviewer Joey is right - these aren't worth $99. I never bought Rockport before - won't make the mistake again.

To Forgive Design: Understanding Failure
To Forgive Design: Understanding Failure
by Henry Petroski
Price: $24.82
73 used & new from $5.45

2.0 out of 5 stars A Narrative Failure, June 3, 2012
Laborious. Tedious. Melodramatic in spots. Dis-ordered. Much irrelevant wandering. Certainly I was disappointed with this book. I bought it on account of a positive review in the Wall Street Journal. This is the 2nd WSJ review that has led me astray - I can't recommend those either.

Perhaps 150 of the 360 content pages would have been eliminated by a competent editor. An entire chapter is devoted to mostly idle chatter about the author's graduate studies and experiences in a lab "known affectionately by the acronym TAM", a vignette of his dissertation advisor, and recountings of coffee klatches. I am an engineer by training, trade, and practice of more than 20 years, with plenty of time spent in labs. I did not develop an attachment to any of them. Another chapter is devoted to a meandering history of "Iron Ring Ceremonies". The first page or so is interesting - I had never heard of them - but little is gained thereafter. And then throughout the text we find such gems as "Success is success, but that is all that it is." Where was the editor?

I was hoping for an organized synopsis of failures of various kinds with details of the believed causes, as well as concise discussions of the non-technical human factors that are involved in almost all of them. It's not here. The narrative is often of the jumbled stream-of-consciousness type, with the author dropping into first person and diverging into all manner of side-topics. We have tortured discussions about bridges, ad infinitum, with revelations such as "Among the most important decisions in designing a new bridge are where to locate it and what kind of bridge to build". Luckily I bought this book. In some cases (e.g. the Columbia break-up and the Hyatt Regency walkways), the important details of the failure mechanism are not even explained. There are no sketches, no drawings, no tables of comparative data, no statistical summaries, and only a few photos - several being portraits of professors and colleagues in lieu of failed components. I have read technical reports on mechanical failures that were better organized and more thorough - and much shorter.

Credit the author with adequate referencing - there are copious footnotes. And there is some good, and to me new, information to be gleaned from this book, but you will need a fairly wide sieve and a tight dust mask - the volume of chaff can be overwhelming.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 27, 2013 8:23 AM PST

CSS Pocket Reference: Visual Presentation for the Web (Pocket Reference (O'Reilly))
by Eric A. Meyer
98 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars This is good, April 8, 2011
Although adept with HTML, JS, ASP, SSI, etc. I knew nothing of CSS aside from its existence when I purchased this book. I was up and running with rudimentary style sheets within a few chapters. By the time I reached ch. 10 I was successfully revising existing pages to greatly improve presentation and simplify its management on my websites. The book may not work so well for the beginner who is not already an accomplished web author - there can be a lot going on at times. But I thought it was thorough and relevant, and very helpful, cover-to-cover.

I especially appreciate the in-line notes about browser support (or the lack thereof). The properties reference material and the sample style sheet at the back are also valuable.