Profile for Big Hair Addict > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 11

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Big Hair Addict RSS Feed (Altoona, PA USA)

Page: 1 | 2
up2zero
up2zero
Price: $16.31
7 used & new from $12.98

4.0 out of 5 stars Bringing the blues to a new generation, March 18, 2012
This review is from: up2zero (Audio CD)
I am a big fan of Anthony. He is a phenomenal guitar player who plays with incredible passion. I've seen him several times in concert and have introduced many to his music and will continue to do so. I also have all of his releases. This is a good album and would recommend you buy it. Of the 11 tracks, 2 are remakes from previous AG albums (Fly Away and Darkest Before The Dawn) and a 3rd is one of the songs he remakes on this album, only sung in French (N'Abandonne Pas = Darkest Before The Dawn). And another song (Voodoo Moon) is an obscure song that was on a Tim Gonzalez and Friends album, which is fine in that it has not been featured on an AG release. I'm not sure of the reasoning behind this, although I know artists re-record their songs in an effort to gain more control over their work. Anthony also has a new line up on this release. In fact, since the recording of this album, he has another new line up. I don't know what's up with all the changes, but regardless of who is in the band, he consistently puts out good music. Anyway, let's get to the songs:

1. Back To The Start ***1/2 - This is AG explaining to us the direction of this album, going back to the blues as opposed to his southern rock project as the New Soul Cowboys (I would assume), which by the way was/is a fantastic album and his Music Is The Medicine release which incorporated blues, soul, and a bit of funk. Some tasty guitar as expected.
2. One Last Time ****1/2 - Nice blues song, the guitar mix has a very 'live' feel to it. I like this. This would make my AG greatest hits mix.
3. Love Sweet Love ***** - Upbeat song that embraces the vibe of his Music Is The Medicine release.
4. Fly Away ***1/2- This is a worthy remake of Bluebird featured on Music Is The Medicine. I struggled on whether to give this a 3 or 4 star rating because the MITM version is so awesome and if you play both versions back to back the MITM version kills. I ultimately decided to give it 3 1/2 stars for the simple fact that I am spoiled by the original.
5. Darkest Before The Dawn *** - 2nd remake on the album. Originally released on the Unity release at 5:55 in length. This version is shortened to 3:51. Fantastic lyrics of encouragement and hope. The original has such emotion sung and played while I would say this version is more 'beautiful' and clean. I would rate the original as a 5 star.
6. Room 414 ****1/2 - Getting back to some good blues on this song. This is why you go see him play live.
7. Voodoo Moon *** - This is an obscure song featured on the Tim Gonzalez and Friends 'Straight From The Heart' album. This song has such potential! This is classic AG blues, with one exception. Where the heck is the climax? I feel this song whips you slowly into an anticipatory guitar orgasm that never arrives and leaves you shaking your head and asking "Is that it?" There should be some pyrotechnic blues fret burning going on here like his MITM 'When The Right Woman Does You Wrong' but there is none. A true shame as this would make this song absolutely killer. This truly could be a signature song if he let his fingers fly. Hopefully, live he does. That's not to say it's a bad song, because it isn't.
8. Anywhere You Run ***1/2 - This song has kind of a Carlos Santana guitar vibe to it and I like it, but I think it needs a little more flare. Seems just a tad restrained.
9. Last Bluesman Gone ***1/2 - This is a tribute song to some of the blues greats that have passed. Love the humming and simple acoustic nature of the song. Very black-gospel and early blues like.
10. Up 2 Zero ****- This song was originally a live cut on Anthony Gomes Live, so it's nice to have a studio version as well, although i miss the keyboards in the live version.
11. N'Abandonne Pas *** - Darkest Before The Dawn sung in French.

Overall this is a good release and fits well into his body of work. It all averages out to a 3.73 rating for me. I love the cover art for this release. Easily his best album cover. If you get to see him live, then do so. He's extremely personable and you will have a great time.

Cheat the Gallows
Cheat the Gallows
13 used & new from $8.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Regurgitated rock never tasted so good, July 18, 2010
This review is from: Cheat the Gallows (Audio CD)
Bigelf rock in 'vintage' form. Throw Led Zep, Rush, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Black Sabbath, The Beatles, Queen and every other major classic rock band in a blender and this is what you get. Utterly fantastic.

Murder By Pride
Murder By Pride
Price: $9.00
55 used & new from $4.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Best new album by an 80's band, August 1, 2009
This review is from: Murder By Pride (Audio CD)
Stryper is rockin', I believe, better than ever. This release didn't have to grow on me, it engulfed me from the very start. It's really incredible. The album is a solid collection of hard rockin tunes. Not a filler among them. So many of the 80's metal groups have come out with new albums trying to capture the glory of days gone by. For the most part, they have done a decent job. Never quite reaching what they once had, but good efforts all around. Then we have Strypers album. Not only do they capture it, they surpass it. This album is far and above their best. When Michael said he listened to what the fans wanted, he truly did listen. It wasn't the typical self promoting hype that all bands spew. The guitars are everywhere. And his voice - Unbelievable!!! He's still hitting those high notes with ease. And isn't that what we long for? Bands from the past to reemerge today with relevance, yet keeping true to the sound that made us fans in the first place? We've had GnR, White Lion, Great White, Def Leppard, Europe, House of Lords, etc release some great and not so great releases. I love Europe's Secret Society, Def Lep's Sparkle Lounge, and House of Lords World Upside Down. They are all wicked awesome. I just think that Murder By Pride delivers a notch better. And I mean that without any malice toward the other bands. I love them all. But Stryper has more than delivered on the hype. I guess you either hate them or love them. If you were a fan back in the 80's, you will love Murder By Pride.

Rocket Number 9
Rocket Number 9
Price: $15.49
28 used & new from $4.15

5.0 out of 5 stars This guy blows a mean harp, September 2, 2008
This review is from: Rocket Number 9 (Audio CD)
Heard Jason Ricci and New Blood for the first time at the 2008 Johnstown Folk Festival (2008) and was amazed. Even my 12 year old daughter was loving the performance (which is great since she's into Jesse McCartney, Taylor Swift, and all those tween bands). I'm a definite fan and this CD is a great introduction to a world class player and band. If you like blues and harmonica in particular this is a must buy.

Rolling Stone (1-year)
Rolling Stone (1-year)
Price: $29.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Rolling Stone Magazine Sucks, April 21, 2008
This review is from: Rolling Stone (1-year) (Magazine)
I'll make this short and sweet since everyone pretty much agrees that this magazine barely makes credible toilet paper in an emergency. Get your money back and subscribe to Classic Rock Magazine. It's a UK import so it's more expensive, but worth every penny. Never have I waited in anticipation so much for a new issue to come out so I could read it cover to cover. Not only does it cover classic rock, but has some great articles and reviews on the up and comers. Every issue comes with a free CD or DVD. I get mine at the local Barnes and Noble store for $9.90. Get it!!! You'll love it.

Brother to Brother
Brother to Brother
37 used & new from $2.14

5.0 out of 5 stars Great album, February 23, 2008
This review is from: Brother to Brother (Audio CD)
I'm not a major 'southern rock' fan. I like Skynyrd as a casual fan. I only own the greatest hits package, which is enough for me. I mean, who can't love 'Freebird'. I'm not a big .38 Special fan. I liked there radio hits back in the day but you won't find me popping in one of there CD's nowadays (never mind the fact that I don't own one, but you get the drift). But lately, with a majority of bands putting out crap for music I have gravitated to the European melodic rock scene and the 'retro' sound of the 70's rock. Bands like Wolfmother, The Answer, and Roadstar are re-igniting the torch marvelously. In my quest to find music that showcases musicians rather than corporate crap rock I came across Van Zant. I gotta say, I love this album. This is a solid effort from start to finish and it boggles the mind why this album didn't receive radio play. I know there are Skynyrd fans out there who think that these guys are sacrilege and there no one will ever be able to walk in Ronnie's musical genius. All I can say to that is 'yeah, so'. These guys are musicians who love making music and if they make it this good then I'll be building up my 'Van Zant' collection. Like it for what it is and not for what it isn't because it's not Ronnie. And lest we forget, we may be fans of Ronnie and mourn his passing, but they are his brothers. So get over it and enjoy the present.

Rise
Rise
9 used & new from $21.20

5.0 out of 5 stars No question needed with The Answer, February 23, 2008
This review is from: Rise (Audio CD)
Hmmmmm....$29.99 for the CD or $8.99 for the download. Hmmmmm. Decisions, decisions. Well, maybe if your driving a friggin' Humvee you have wads of cash to blow out your wazoo. But for me, limited funds and and obsession for great music, I have to make my buck stretch as far as I can. That leaves me another $21.00 dollars to purchase other great albums like this. These guys rock and my favorite song right out of the gate is 'Under The Sky'. What a friggin' awesome track. The whole album is great and getting 26 tracks is a steal for $8.99 downloaded. Check these guys out and also Roadstar.

Metal Will Stand Tall
Metal Will Stand Tall
19 used & new from $11.97

5.0 out of 5 stars The re-birth of 80's hair metal, October 15, 2006
This review is from: Metal Will Stand Tall (Audio CD)
With a name like 'The Poodles', these guys had better rock. And they do!!! If your longing for the days when hair metal ruled the airwaves and think that the current trend in American radio sucks then you must check these guys out. From start to finish they transport you back to a time when rock and roll was all about a good time and not hating your life or mother, yet, they are fresh in their approach. American radio needs bands like this to reinvigorate itself, but you'll never hear them because the RIAA would never admit that a band nowadays could and should put out an album that is good from start to finish instead of screwing us over with albums that have 1 or 2 good songs at best. European metal has America by the rock n roll balls right now, with bands such as Masterplan, Starbreaker, Brother Firetribe, and THE POODLES.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 16, 2012 12:58 AM PST

Under the Influence
Under the Influence
18 used & new from $18.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Hard Rockin' Hair Metal - The Way It's Supposed To Be, March 20, 2006
This review is from: Under the Influence (Audio CD)
Wow! I was totally blown away by this cd. I am a major hairband addict (500 plus cd's and always adding more) and yet had never heard of these guys until I was fishing for cd's like this on Amazon that somehow got by my radar. Absolutely fantastic album. Think XYZ, but with a lot more edge and grit and vocals that are a mix of Tommy Keifer, Mark Slaughter, Stephen Pearcy, and Axl Rose. You can't go wrong purchasing this bygone gem for $20-$25. To think we gave up masterpieces like this for the crap that Nirvana and the like put out. SHAME! SHAME! SHAME!

Empty
Empty
Offered by MediaWarehouseUSA
Price: $12.99
137 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Tait is a must have, January 11, 2002
This review is from: Empty (Audio CD)
You never know what to expect when a member of an established band strikes out on his own. Have no fear. "TAIT" delivers in a big way. This album flows nice and smooth with rock music long thought dead, yet, refreshingly current. If your a fan of DC Talk, I think you'll see where DC Talk gets most of their influence.

Page: 1 | 2