Truck Month Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Goo-goo Dolls Father's Day Gift Guide 2016 Fire TV Stick Get Ready for Summer and Save 15% The Baby Store Shop now Amazon Cash Back Offer DrThorne DrThorne DrThorne  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $149.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Shop Now
Profile for Chris LaVesser > Reviews

Browse

Chris LaVesser's Profile

Customer Reviews: 32

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Chris LaVesser "Eminent Goofball & Useful Citizen" RSS Feed (Milwaukee, WI)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Young Einstein
Young Einstein
DVD
Price: $2.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Silly, Fun. That's All You Need., February 28, 2016
This review is from: Young Einstein (Amazon Video)
There is nothing not to love about this movie.
Even though it screws up all the science, rearranges history, and has the most ridiculous plot, it's impossible not to love.
I hadn't seen this movie in more than a decade, and giggle aloud while watching again. Love it. Silly and fun.

Houston, We Have a Narrative: Why Science Needs Story
Houston, We Have a Narrative: Why Science Needs Story
by Randy Olson
Price: $17.12
69 used & new from $11.85

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, Good Tools, Also Applicable Outside The World of Science., February 28, 2016
I really enjoyed this book and believe the premise and lessons can be applied outside the world of science. I believe the world of information technology can also learn from the lessons in Olson's book, especially when IT professionals communicate with business leaders and decision-makers.

M1A / M14 Bipod Adapter
M1A / M14 Bipod Adapter
Offered by Sterling101
Price: $21.99
6 used & new from $18.95

3.0 out of 5 stars Does not fit synthetic M1A/M14 stocks, February 28, 2016
This review is from: M1A / M14 Bipod Adapter (Misc.)
I'm rating this 3 stars because it's not universal. I have two stocks for my M1A: one walnut and one synthetic.
The adapter works nicely on the walnut stock, but does not fit in the synthetic stock. When placed in my synthetic stock, the adapter sits too high in the stock and interferes with the gas system, preventing the action from sitting inside the stock properly. Even after I ground the adapter down some, it sits too high. And there isn't sufficient material left in the stock or adapter for me to continue grinding.

Developing Analytic Talent: Becoming a Data Scientist
Developing Analytic Talent: Becoming a Data Scientist
by (Ph. D.) Vincent Granville
Price: $20.54
64 used & new from $7.47

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not enter. Spirits and ambition will be crushed., February 24, 2016
I purchased this book before reading the reviews. I regret it. This book will do nothing to advance your interest in, or understanding of, data science. The book is a pompous, rambling, pedantic, and indecipherable mess.

I'm no rocket scientist, but I'm comfortable with statistics, computer science, and have an MBA. This book makes too many assumptions about the reader's pre-existing knowledge of terms, jargon, advanced statistics, and the like.

This book did nothing to help guide my learning or advance my interest in a data career. It simply left me feeling I was already 20 years behind the curve for getting into this field - all because the material was intentionally presented in a manner to illustrate how rare and brilliant the author believes himself to be.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 27, 2016 5:08 AM PST

Homeland Tees Men's Wisconsin Home Mesh Trucker Hat - Green
Homeland Tees Men's Wisconsin Home Mesh Trucker Hat - Green
Offered by Homeland Tees
Price: $22.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Killer Wisconsin Hat, January 25, 2016
Sweet hat. Comfortable, solidly built, and it extols my affection for Wisconsin...

Stack-On GCDG-924 10-Gun Double-Door Steel Security Cabinet
Stack-On GCDG-924 10-Gun Double-Door Steel Security Cabinet
Price: $275.46
12 used & new from $275.46

3.0 out of 5 stars Adequate, but Disappointing, January 25, 2016
The good: This cabinet is adequately built with a solid frame, sturdy shelves, good locking mechanism on each door, smooth locks, and a reasonable amount of space. You can comfortably store 5 or 6 rifles, some handguns, ammunition, and accessories. Two sets of keys are provided.

The OK: Assembly is fairly straightforward, if not entirely easy. A partner will help, as will a headlamp. If you do the build yourself, you'll have to make a few large reaches around the doors to hold the parts, nuts, and bolts where they need to be.

The atrocious: My cabinet was dented and had peeling paint in one corner due to inadequate packaging. Some of the hardware was missing, requiring me to dip into my spare parts bin to finish the assembly. The inside of the cabinet had some poorly painted areas that showed a bit of corrosion. And for some reason, Stack-On found it necessary to place a large, industrially-adhered decal to the door of the cabinet, highlighting the features and quality of the item I'd already purchased and lugged into my basement. One: I already know the features, as I researched the item before purchasing it. Two: why in the world was such absurd adhesive used to attach the sticker? Did Stack-On think I wanted to permanently display the cabinet with their advertisement on it? It took 41 minutes to remove the decal and adhesive, which I find inexcusable.

This cabinet is adequate for its purpose, but it is far from being a value for the money.
Comment Comment | Permalink

This Is Not My Home [Explicit]
This Is Not My Home [Explicit]
Price: $7.92

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, September 25, 2015
Packed with feeling and lyrics that register.
Catchy, powerful.

Astro 101 Mini Grease Gun with Needle Nozzle
Astro 101 Mini Grease Gun with Needle Nozzle
Price: $12.68
27 used & new from $8.70

1.0 out of 5 stars Useless - Does not work., September 1, 2015
Absolutely useless.
The grease gun would not prime. I followed the instructions included with the gun, and also watched and followed 2 online tutorials, which were quite clear. The gun never primed, and only managed to force grease out of the bottom.
Returned.

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
DVD
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, indeed, but you should read the book FOR SURE., August 27, 2015
Rarely does a movie adaptation of a book do justice to the book. Even commonplace books are probably difficult to turn into movies of commensurate depth and nuance. I enjoyed the Hitchhiker's Guide movie, but much of the humor, satire, and outright criticism of society and religion are lost in the move to the screen. What you get is a mere sampling of Adam's genius - tasty though it may be.

The Intern's Handbook: A John Lago Thriller
The Intern's Handbook: A John Lago Thriller
by Shane Kuhn
Price: $14.50
88 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars Did Michael Bay Write This?, August 2, 2015
I'm not one to write critical reviews of books often, but I had high hopes for this book, and it let me down - brutally.

The first several chapters were engrossing, and I found myself happily inching into the type of story I thought I'd be reading when I purchased the book - fast-paced and suspenseful while being witty. Two-thirds of the way through the book, I was no longer pleased, and was simply reading it to get through it. It turned into a farce. Every scene became punctuated by explosions or implausible fighting. The hero of the book miraculously heals within hours from injuries that would take mere mortal weeks or months of convalescence. I felt like I was watching a Michael Bay movie, and I loathe Michael Bay movies. What's worse is the author explicitly acknowledging the implausibility of the scenes, and weaving explanations into the passages (e.g. John Lago is able to fight anyone, anywhere, under any circumstances, ignoring grievous injury, because he has studied with academic rigor every known fighting style - all by the ripe age of 25.)

Reality is an amply entertaining realm within which to write stories. I don't see why we need such farcical nonsense purporting to be non-fantasy.

If you enjoyed the 38 or so Fast and Furious movies, you'll probably love this book. If you're more of a "Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy" kind of person, don't bother.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 3, 2015 6:15 AM PDT