Profile for M. F. Schenkkan > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 2

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

M. F. Schenkkan RSS Feed

Yes We Can: Barack Obama's History-Making Presidential Campaign
Yes We Can: Barack Obama's History-Making Presidential Campaign
by Scout Tufankjian
Price: $10.53
163 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars So many people on the edges, December 12, 2008
We don't learn how she got her laundry done, but it's a wonderful ride through Scout Tufankjian's Yes We Can. Her writing moves along and is specific: "Every single event [in New Hampshire] was wildly overcrowded, and on one occasion the fire marshal wouldn't even let the traveling press in." And in Berlin, "I am young enough that it was a shock to see Europeans waving American flags." As for the photos, has anyone captured Michelle Obama's hope for her husband as well as in the picture on pages 24 and 25, in Waterloo, Iowa? This is Pulitizer stuff. Another favorite is of two little girls, one holding an Obama doll, as they sit and whisper together at an event in McKeesport, Pennsylvania. When people come into our Austin house and pick this book up, they do not put it down. Someone always grabs it away.

The Year of Yes
The Year of Yes
by Maria Dahvana Headley
Price: $22.95
104 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Year of Yes made me want to read more from Maria Headley, April 6, 2006
This review is from: The Year of Yes (Hardcover)
I know the spiel about the Year of Yes, that it's about NYU student Maria Headley dating people she might not otherwise. But the sections about her family and particularly her father were a shift in tone. They make me want to hear more about how this woman came to be so self-possessed. A girl growing up outside Boise who read as much as Headley obviously has and takes herself off to NYC with such confidence . . . that's a woman I want to read more from.