Profile for Mike Maguire > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Mike Maguire RSS Feed (Florida, USA)

Barnwood Decor Rustic Western Red Cedar 8x10 Picture Frame Includes Glass, Back and Hangers. Proudly Made in the USA

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool Frame for the Right Piece, December 7, 2013
When I opened this, I wasn't sure I liked it. I expected it to be a little more finished looking, but "Rustic" definitely is accurate. However, once I put the piece of art in it and hung it I was really happy with it. It's well made, and if you have the right thing to put in it, then it looks great. I hung it on a wall that's painted robin's egg blue, and it's a very nice contrast. I wouldn't want all my frames to be like this, but it's nice having one and I would consider having another.

Elsie
Elsie
Price: $12.19
45 used & new from $5.85

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favorite Album Right Now, October 4, 2011
This review is from: Elsie (Audio CD)
I'm a big Gaslight Anthem fan so I bought this. When I read the comparison of this project to the Afghan Whigs (who I was also a fan of) in the product description I couldn't picture it. But on hearing the album, I agree. They are similar in tone and attitude -- dark, sad, sentimental and passionate.

While I enjoyed a lot of the Gaslight Anthem's last album (American Slang), I never fell in love with it the way I had with their first two albums. I'm falling in love with this one though!

Tiny Ghosts
Tiny Ghosts
by Dominic Peloso
Edition: Perfect Paperback
Price: $14.67
23 used & new from $11.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Tiny Ghosts Rocks!, November 13, 2007
This review is from: Tiny Ghosts (Perfect Paperback)
I love Tiny Ghosts and read it every week. The creator does a great job of telling a story (sometimes deep, sometimes funny, sometimes weird) in only 2 panels.

It's great now having a hard copy I can show to people. The production on the book looks great and there's a bonus section at the end showing behind-the-scenes workings. It's all good stuff!

Nirvana's in Utero (33 1/3)
Nirvana's in Utero (33 1/3)
by Gillian G. Gaar
Price: $10.89
65 used & new from $6.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, July 14, 2007
This is exactly what you want from a 33 1/3 book. There's no boring filler, the author doesn't dwell too much on things like pop culture at the time or Kurt's deat -- everything in it relates directly to the making of the album. It covers In Utero from every angle, it's very well researched, and it moves along great.

The only thing I would have liked to have seen more of is technical details about the recording process, such as the mics and equipment used. The bottom line though is that it's interesting from beginning to end.

Guns N Roses' Use Your Illusion I And II (33 1/3)
Guns N Roses' Use Your Illusion I And II (33 1/3)
by Eric Weisbard
Price: $12.05
73 used & new from $2.24

2.0 out of 5 stars Not what I was looking for, July 10, 2007
I'm writing this having read only 36 pages, so take it for what it's worth. I wanted to put a warning out there though -- this is not, to use the writer's words, a reportorial work. That's why I'm disappointed so far. The writing isn't bad but it's more of a personal essay.

I buy 33 1/3 books to learn the details about how albums I like were made. I want to hear stories from the production, what inspired the songs, what the band was going through, etc. This book doesn't seem to fall in that category.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 29, 2007 9:00 AM PDT

American Purgatorio: A Novel
American Purgatorio: A Novel
by John Haskell
61 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Overreaches, but Still Should be Read, February 17, 2006
I loved Haskell's short story collection, 'I Am Not Jackson Pollack.' It was really something fresh and new.

This novel is both compelling and heart-breaking. When Haskell's writing is at its best it is simultaneously highly readable and containing of great depth. There are stumbles in this book though. Parts of it just don't live up to other parts. That's not to say it isn't admirable or that any other writer out there could have done any better. The fact that he was able to create such a challenging plot to execute is alone worth a lot of praise.

There were a fair amount of typos in the first printing I read.

One of the editorial reviews above says the reader may feel tricked. I can't imagine a reader being so clueless that they'd be that surprised by any of the "revelations" in the book. The title alone tells you that such surprises might be coming.

Haskell's style isn't for everyone, but I'd recommend to most anyone that they at least give this book a shot.

p.s. Near the start the narrator talks about how glass flows and old glass is wobbly because of it. That's not true! Old glass is wobbly because it was made before the plate glass process was invented and in wide use. Glass is an amorphous solid and doesn't really flow.

No Title Available

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Value, December 20, 2004
I've had this a month and I'm very happy so far. The lack of vibration makes me comfortable using it for long-term storage (the compressor vibration from traditional refrigerators may have a negative impact on wines over time). It's a really nice value. One warning -- when I first started stocking it, it would cool down lower than it should have, to below 50 degrees, even when it was on its lowest setting. Now that it's full of bottles though, it seems to be holding steady in the mid-50's, which is where I want it.

Antarctica
Antarctica
by David Wilson
2 used & new from $99.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Guaranteed Good Reading, March 26, 2003
This review is from: Antarctica (Paperback)
These short stories are as intriguing and satisfying as any others. I've lent my copy out to a few friends and I know others who have bought it. I've heard nothing but praise and I've yet to know someone unable to finish this book once they've begun it.

Samsung YP-700H 128 MB Digital Audio Player
Samsung YP-700H 128 MB Digital Audio Player
2 used & new from $30.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Player (once you get adjusted to it), June 22, 2002
It took a while, but I now love my Yepp. I use better headphones than the ones supplied and I don't use the remote control at all. I find that mp3's play louder without the remote in. So that solved a problem for me. The controls on the main unit are just as good, once you remember them. I like how the play/stop button toggles up and down to go up or down a track.
I also like the FM tuner. I don't know why more mp3's don't come with that.
I recommend considering this player. Just keep in mind that you may want to use different headphones and you may want to use it without the remote.

A Man, A Plan ... 2002; The Year in Palindromes
A Man, A Plan ... 2002; The Year in Palindromes
by Mark Saltveit
Edition: Spiral-bound

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-own for Palindrome Fans, April 2, 2002
Whether you use it as calendar or not, this is a wonderful palindrome book. It's beautifully put together and the range of palindromes is excellent. They are usually listed in a relevant way, for example "Campus motto - Bottom's up, Mac" for the anniversary of Jenna Bush being ticketed for underage drinking. It's worth the price just for things like the weekly mini-articles about all things palinromic and the section of biogrophies of many palindrome writers.