Profile for E. Van Der Scratchy > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 492

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

E. Van Der Scratchy RSS Feed
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras
Nikon 35mm f/1.8G AF-S DX Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras
Price: $196.95
50 used & new from $149.00

5.0 out of 5 stars A lens that everyone should own!, April 11, 2015
I love the versatility in this prime lens. It functions so smoothly with my Nikon D3200 DSLR. I love the functionality of seamless control going from the automatic focus to the manual focus by simply half pressing the shutter button and then rotating the focus ring. I can easily get the camera to get a solid focus and then manually bump it in either direction, thus giving me so much more control over the final composition of my shots.

Because it is a prime lens, you must be willing to move your body around a bit more in order to crop in and out of your desired shot, but for me the control that it gives and the quality of the final photo is worth any hassle I had to go through to frame the shot.

This should be a lens in every DSLR user's bag.

Bullet Weights Ultra Steel Bass Casting Sinker Kit (42 Piece Kit)
Bullet Weights Ultra Steel Bass Casting Sinker Kit (42 Piece Kit)
Price: $8.99
5 used & new from $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Great alternative to the traditional lead sinkers., April 11, 2015
My local reservoir has enacted a no lead tackle rule, so these sinkers were a great cheap replacement to the older sinkers I had rolling around in my tackle box.

Nice strong loop connections and smooth shape will make using these a much better solution to the old lead ones I've been using anyway.

Danielson Swivel 9-Snap Stringer Chain
Danielson Swivel 9-Snap Stringer Chain
Price: $7.23
5 used & new from $7.23

5.0 out of 5 stars Well built construction, not flimsy and bendable like some other chain stringers., April 11, 2015
I was really impressed with the heavy build construction, not fragile and bendable like some of the other stringers. Although it is very light weight and easily wraps up in the bottom of my tackle box. Even all the monster fish that I catch on a regular basis will fit perfectly on the generously sized snap loops. (haha!)

I would think it will last a long time.

Madd Capp Checkers Dog Lovers Edition
Madd Capp Checkers Dog Lovers Edition
Offered by The Little Surf Shack
Price: $19.99
15 used & new from $11.50

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best strategy games I've ever played., April 11, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is such a fantastic game! My 7 year old son has really started to conceptualize strategy, so we figured that this would be a fun way to build on his growing enthusiasm. After learning the basics of checkers, he was ready to try out this version. Basically this is a turn based game where the roll of the dice determines what pieces of which colors a player gets to move. Each player has a designated color, but you get to move not only your pieces but the other players pieces as well. The fun "dog" twist is that the checker pieces are small dog bowls, and when a King is made, you just add a small bone into the bowl to represent the pieces promotion.

So a big part of the game is to strategize about moving your opponents pieces as well as your own to optimize your chances to win. It's a great spin on traditional checkers and really gets you thinking about how different moves can effect the game. Even I am building a lot deeper understanding of checker strategy by playing it.

I would highly recommend this game for anyone old enough to understand the basic game of checkers because even the most skilled player can be challenged by having their opponent manipulate their pieces, thus constantly changing the game. Lots of fun for everyone!

Taking Care of Parents Who Didn't Take Care of You: Making Peace with Aging Parents
Price: $9.99

1.0 out of 5 stars misleading title, April 9, 2015
This book is just a typical book on caring for aging parents. The author mentions examples of people who are conflicted about caring for a parent who was abusive in some way but then totally drops that aspect. NO discussion of their decision making process, their feelings, nothing. This book was totally useless.

On the other hand the book Doing the Right Thing, Taking Care of Your Elderly Parents, Even if They Didn't Take Care of You, by Satow, is great. It's what this book should have been.

Neutrogena  Cool Dry Sport Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30, 5 Fluid Ounce
Neutrogena Cool Dry Sport Sunscreen Lotion, SPF 30, 5 Fluid Ounce
Price: $8.09
11 used & new from $8.09

5.0 out of 5 stars not so sticky or slimy, April 4, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This sunscreen dries super fast once you apply it, which is very important in convincing my kids to hold still for 2 minutes while I apply it. My husband liked that about it as well. No slimy feeling, no visible residue, and works great!

Going Green (The Secret Knock Club)
Going Green (The Secret Knock Club)
by Louise Bonnett-Rampersaud
Price: $8.01
53 used & new from $4.49

2.0 out of 5 stars unreadable, March 28, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Here's the thing about this book.
It's totally unreadable.
Totally unreadable means each sentence is it's own paragraph and the writing makes me want to gouge my own eyes out.
Descriptions that take forever.
Like I mean a whole page that should have been one sentence.

I have never known any kid who spoke this way or was such a completely annoying nut job. Both the third graders and the kindergarteners were wildly inaccurate. Just reading it to myself was exhausting. I think I need a Tylenol.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 4, 2015 9:53 AM PDT

Irish Spring Signature 3 in 1 Body Wash, 15 Ounce
Irish Spring Signature 3 in 1 Body Wash, 15 Ounce
Price: $3.97
22 used & new from $1.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great body wash with a mild and pleasing scent., March 26, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Great body wash. The biggest problem that I have with the more popular body washes is the lingering oily feeling on my skin. Some love it, but I can't stand it, so I was very pleased that this washes off cleanly without the feeling that I just put lotion on my skin. The wash forms a great lather and for those that remember the 80's, it definitely works to make you feel, "clean as a whistle"!

The scent is pleasing, with a clear hint of mint. It comes close to being an almost "candy" like scent, but not sickly sweet. My wife is sensitive to most fragrances, and she seems to enjoy this. So that's a big plus for me!

The Honest Kitchen Love: Grain Free Beef Dog Food, 2 lb
The Honest Kitchen Love: Grain Free Beef Dog Food, 2 lb
Price: $25.47

5.0 out of 5 stars fascinating, March 26, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I was fascinated by the concept of this food so I just had to try it. It passes every criterion set by dog food advisor, no weird mystery "meat" or grain fillers. The label does indeed say "complete and balanced". My bulldog will eat anything including gravel so I knew it would be no trouble to get it into him. We do travel with him and I thought it might be nice to bring this little box rather than a big, smelly tub of kibbles.

Mixing it up is easy, although like other reviewers I found that less water than suggested was better if your dog doesn't like soup. I was shocked at how not messy his face was after he ate it. When I occasionally give him baby food with his kibbles I think half of it ends up spread between his eyes and neck. There are no bad effects on the lawn, if you know what I mean. No gas, no trouble at all. If you are looking to add variety for the sake of making sure your dog gets balanced nutrition this is an excellent choice.

The Spiritual Child: The New Science on Parenting for Health and Lifelong Thriving
by Lisa J. Miller
Price: $19.81
71 used & new from $8.99

4.0 out of 5 stars how to nurture your child's spirituality at home, March 21, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a pretty good parenting book on how to recognize and nurture your child's spiritual connection with a power (whichever one you feel connected to) larger than themselves. The author discusses the difference between her definition of spirituality and adherence to an organized religion. She is open to having a spiritual life outside a church, but is never disrespectful to those of us whose spiritual life is centered in our church community, which I thought was nice.

My educational background is in science, I have a couple of degrees in hard sciences. I am also a spiritual person whose faith is totally grounded in my church. I have never had a problem reconciling these two things, they are both who I am. I found the "science" aspect of this book a bit forced. It seems to be aimed at parents who are uncomfortable with religion, especially sharing religion with their kids. This book would be great for people in that situation as it is filled with tons of helpful suggestions on nurturing your child's innate spirituality at all stages of their development.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20