Industrial-Sized Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Shop Popular Services tmnt tmnt tmnt  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Metal Gear Solid 5 Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Deal of the Day
Profile for Kelly > Reviews

Browse

Kelly's Profile

Customer Reviews: 396

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kelly "kelly" RSS Feed (United States)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
The Paleo Vegetarian Diet: A Guide For Weight Loss And Healthy Living
The Paleo Vegetarian Diet: A Guide For Weight Loss And Healthy Living
by Dena Harris
Price: $12.87
60 used & new from $7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Super Helpful, Well Written Book!, July 16, 2015
This book is really, really helpful! I have been both Paleo and Vegan at different times of my life. I felt MUCH better, and am healthier, eating Paleo. But eating all of that meat was really bothering me. This book makes Paleo Vegetarian easy to do in a healthy way. I really appreciate it!

The book is extremely readable and enjoyable. I liked the author's writing style. She takes a good, clear, no-nonsense approach to this style of eating. The book is full of great information to help you regain good health [and energy and healthy weight] through a Paleo Vegetarian diet. She covers the pitfalls and things to be aware of. She has lots of ideas and great suggestions about doing it right.

This book makes being a Paleo Vegetarian very do-able. I'm enjoying this way of eating and I feel absolutely fantastic!

Raising Goats For Dummies
Raising Goats For Dummies
by Cheryl K. Smith
Price: $12.52
61 used & new from $10.52

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, Thorough Book, July 16, 2015
This book is truly comprehensive! I got it a couple of weeks before I got 2 goats, and it has been a lifesaver!

The author writes in a style that is very readable and enjoyable. I liked all of her "been there, done that" stories in the book. Her examples were very helpful and interesting. This book really tells you everything you need to know to get started with goats!

One thing I will mention - she does look at goats from a "pet" standpoint instead of a "livestock" standpoint. She spends a lot of time talking about how cute they are, etc. This works for me, because our goats are definitely pets, not food. But it might be a little annoying for someone who is trying to raise a herd of meat goats, for example.

I'm really glad I got this book - I think my goats and I will be a lot happier now that I have all of this knowledge!

The Complete Idiot's Guide to Self-Sufficient Living (Idiot's Guides)
The Complete Idiot's Guide to Self-Sufficient Living (Idiot's Guides)
by Jerome D. Belanger
Price: $15.90
61 used & new from $1.00

4.0 out of 5 stars This Book Is Very Helpful, Even If You Aren't A Beginner!!!!, July 16, 2015
I found this book extremely useful, and I've been working on self sufficiency for many years now.

I can understand some of the negative reviews - the first part of this book is a manifesto about his personal feelings on why self sufficiency is important, why we can't keep living the way we do, how we are killing the planet, etc. A lot of time is spent in the first section trying to convince people that self sufficiency is important. [I had already purchased the book - obviously I already agree that it is important!] He also has some unusual opinions that are pretty strong.

HOWEVER, if you get past those introductory chapters, this book is FULL of useful information. I was impressed by the range of subjects he managed to cover and also by the depth. I strongly disagree with other reviewers who said this book is too shallow or worthless. I don't think they really read the book. I found it extremely helpful. Does it give you encyclopedic knowledge of every single self sufficiency topic? Of course not - it isn't a 20 volume set! But I found a lot of information in this book that I could use, and I've been doing this for almost 2 decades now. I already had a lot of experience and knew a lot - if I found the book helpful, I think anyone would. And if I had been a relative beginner, this book would have been an absolute gold mine!

This book also helped me rethink my current plans and improve on some of my goals. It helped me sort out why and how I'm doing things, so that I could do some things better.

I also found the book very readable and enjoyable [once I got past the preaching at the very beginning]. The author has a very good writing style and I enjoyed his stories and tales from his past experience.

You won't go wrong with this book - it really is great!

Carlson Lightly Lemon Cod Liver Oil 1000mg, 300 Softgels
Carlson Lightly Lemon Cod Liver Oil 1000mg, 300 Softgels
Price: $19.99
26 used & new from $18.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally - A Great Cod Liver Oil Without The Foul Fish Aftertaste!, June 7, 2015
These are really good, without that gross "fishy" aftertaste I have found in every other form of cod liver oil or fish oil that I've tried. These don't give you any bad aftertaste and they still give you all the benefits of the cod liver oil. I plan to take these for the rest of my life. I'm so happy to have found this brand!

The Tao of Vegetable Gardening: Cultivating Tomatoes, Greens, Peas, Beans, Squash, Joy, and Serenity
by Carol Deppe
Price: $16.96
59 used & new from $15.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Not As Good As "The Resilient Gardener", June 7, 2015
This book is definitely not as wonderful as Ms. Deppe's "The Resilient Gardener". [That book is my all time favorite gardening book]. This book is a bit less focused, a lot more philosophical, and much less practically useful. I also found it less fun to read. I found myself losing interest and putting it aside on a regular basis [in contrast, I read "The Resilient Gardener" in about 2 days because I could not put it down].

It does have good and useful information, and I love Ms. Deppe's approach to gardening and life in general. I am certain you will find useful information in this book. This book is worth buying; but if you only buy one of her books, make sure it is "The Resilient Gardener". You will get more helpful information for your dollar.

Meritropolis
Meritropolis
by Joel Ohman
Price: $9.99
27 used & new from $0.99

3.0 out of 5 stars This Reads Like A Good Rough Draft, June 7, 2015
This review is from: Meritropolis (Paperback)
I liked the idea of this story world, and I liked the idea of the characters. I think the author had a great concept. However, the execution is not great. This book really does read like a good first draft, that needed a couple of revisions.

The characters are very "cardboard cutout". The main character, for instance, was problematic. The author tells us that he is this brilliant, strong, basically "top 1% of humans" guy with this super high "number" value that is way better than anyone else's. However, there is *nothing* in the character's actual behavior in the book that shows this. He acts like an idiot on more than one occasion, doing stupid things, leaping before he even thinks of what the consequences will be, without any plan or apparent sentience. Yeah, he's brave - but in a dumb bull kind of way, not in a "super intelligent super -human" way. I found the rest of the characters to be equally poorly developed and very predictable.

The world itself, the way it is written here, is kind of hard to believe. I don't believe it is human nature to allow loved ones to be "put outside the gates" to die on a regular basis. I think that, after a brief while, you'd see revolt and revolution. I found it unbelievable that people would let their children, especially, be abandoned to die on an ongoing basis [especially considering the horrible death that supposedly awaited them - being torn apart by monsters after dark - who does that?].

The plot was fairly predictable to me, as well. I am slightly interested in seeing where it goes in the next book [because it does end *abruptly* at a point that really should be about half way through a full length novel], but I am probably not curious enough to actually buy the next one.

I am giving 3 stars because I believe the author had some great and unique ideas, and I do believe he is a good writer, I just think this book in particular needed more work before it went to publication.

Soulless (The Parasol Protectorate)
Soulless (The Parasol Protectorate)
by Gail Carriger
Price: $10.90
66 used & new from $3.48

5.0 out of 5 stars I Loved This Book In Spite of Myself!, June 7, 2015
I loved this book in spite of myself. I actually didn't want to read it [because I am completely burned out on the whole "werewolf/vampire fiction" genre]. But a friend of mine asked me to read it, so I begrudgingly picked it up. I'm so glad my friend forced me in to it. :) This book is a great, fanciful, imaginative, and non-stop action adventure. The main character is a quirky, strong female; whom I loved instantly. While the werewolf/vampire thing is certainly over done currently, this was a fresh take that I enjoyed. Setting it in Victorian England was a splendid idea and made for a very interesting read.
One warning for those who may wish to know about this ahead of time: There was a surprising amount of sex and sexual activity in this book, considering the Victorian setting. I wasn't expecting it, and, frankly, I found some of it unbelievable in the given context.

Otherwise, it is a great read.

Survival Colony 9
Survival Colony 9
by Joshua David Bellin
Price: $14.06
70 used & new from $1.89

3.0 out of 5 stars This Book Did Not Quite Work For Me., June 7, 2015
This review is from: Survival Colony 9 (Hardcover)
This book had an interesting concept, but I did not think it was very well written. I read from start to finish, but I can't say I enjoyed reading it. The characters seemed one dimensional to me, often predictable, and the world building just did not quite work for me. I think part of the problem is that the world was so completely bleak and hopeless. I love dystopian fiction, but this world was so devoid of any hope at all that I found myself doubting that people would still even be alive at all. By the halfway point in the book, I found myself just trudging through to finish it without really caring about the characters. The author does have a major plot twist in the book, but even that wasn't enough to make me really enjoy reading it.

Food Not Lawns: How to Turn Your Yard into a Garden and Your Neighborhood into a Community
by Heather Flores
Price: $18.44
59 used & new from $5.49

1.0 out of 5 stars Very Disappointing, June 7, 2015
I was so disappointed in this book. I was expecting a practical guide to converting my lawn to a garden. What I got was a dense political manifesto. While I absolutely agree with Ms. Flores' agenda, reading this book was like being beaten to death with a political 2x4. There IS some useful practical advice in the book, but it is so buried by the ranting that it is hard to find and painful to extract. I did not find the book very readable, at all; even given my own environmental leanings and general agreement with what she was preaching.

Protein Chips - Sour Cream & Onion 1.125 oz (32 grams) Bag(S)
Protein Chips - Sour Cream & Onion 1.125 oz (32 grams) Bag(S)
Offered by evitamins
Price: $3.29
3 used & new from $2.09

1.0 out of 5 stars These Taste Gross, June 7, 2015
These taste terrible. I wasn't expecting them to taste like real chips, of course. But they are nasty. They have a gross, chalky after taste and the texture was really off-putting. I ate 3 of them and couldn't eat any more. My kids tried them and they wouldn't eat them either. I ended up just throwing the bag away still 90% full.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20