Profile for Kelly > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 977

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kelly "kelly" RSS Feed (United States)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Living Wheat-Free For Dummies
Living Wheat-Free For Dummies
by CSCS, CWC, Rusty Gregory MS
Price: $15.32
53 used & new from $6.97

4.0 out of 5 stars A Really Great, Thorough Book, But Not Really About Living Wheat Free!, September 27, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a good, thorough book, but it is not really about living "Wheat Free". This book is about being Grain and Sugar free, and also eliminating all vegetable and seed oils. This book is really much closer to a Paleo book than just a "wheat free" book, because the changes it recommends are much more sweeping than just eliminating wheat. Now, I think this book is great - this grain free, sugar free lifestyle will, without a doubt, give you the best health your body can possibly have. I am absolutely sure of that. But I think the title is misleading, and I think that people who are just looking for a wheat or gluten free book might be kind of frustrated to buy this book and find out that it is something different.

The misleading title is the only reason I don't give this book 5 stars. Otherwise it is very well done, very complete and interesting, and very well written.

Chapter 2 on Modern Wheat and the problems it causes is exceptional. It contains information that I have not seen in many other wheat or gluten free books and I think people REALLY need to know about this. It has serious repercussions for all of our health, we need to know that we've been part of a gigantic experiment for the last 50 years.

The book contains very thorough science explaining the problems with the modern diet and what grain consumption does to your body. It has in depth information about the whole host of health problems that grains cause. There is also a chapter on how to combine wheat/grain free living and other dietary lifestyles, which may be helpful to those that have other dietary requirements.

There are practical sections on how to clean out the pantry and stock up with foods that are appropriate for this diet. There are chapters on cooking this way for each meal of the day, as well as information on successfully eating out without eating the things you shouldn't.

Near the end of the book there is a fairly extensive section on exercise. Again, it is a great section, but has nothing to do with "living wheat-free".

This book is completely worth buying and it will help you regain your health and enjoy your life. Just be warned that it isn't for people who only want to avoid wheat in their diets - it involves a whole lot more than that.

77 Days in September: A Novel of Survival, Dedication, and Love (The Kyle Tait Series) (Volume 1)
by Ray Gorham
Price: $9.21
2 used & new from $9.21

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Story, Strong Characters, Excellent Read!, September 27, 2014
This was a great book about what happens to a family that is separated when an EMP attack occurs in the U.S.

I enjoy dystopian fiction and read lots of it, and this book is now one of my favorites. I appreciated the story. It is engaging and it kept my attention [I had a hard time putting the book down]. The characters very real and you care about them. The story is compelling. At its core, this book is not only a riveting tale of post-apocalypse survival; it is also a beautiful love story. [And it is a credit to the author that I loved this book. I am not a fan of "love stories". LOL!]

I thought the author did a good job of explaining what would happen with an EMP while making it an entertaining tale that was a joy to read.

I also appreciate that he did not fill his book with weak, stupid women like so many "end of the world as we know it" authors do. His women are strong characters and they are interesting. Kudos to you Mr. Gorham!

I enjoyed this book very much and I recommend it - both to those who love a good story, and to those who would like to learn more about EMP and what it could mean for the civilized world.

CyberStorm
CyberStorm
by Matthew Mather
Price: $10.64
12 used & new from $7.99

3.0 out of 5 stars This Book Has Good And Bad Things About It, September 19, 2014
This review is from: CyberStorm (Paperback)
This book started out really interesting and I couldn't put it down. For most of the book, his writing is good and the book flows well. Then you get to the last part of the book and it just falls apart. It was almost like that last 20% or so was written by someone else who had no idea how to write. It was really some of the worst writing I've read in a long time. It made me wonder if maybe he had a deadline or something and got the first 80% revised and edited, but just gave up on fixing the end. [and it needed fixing].

Other reviewers have already commented on most of the things that really bothered me about the book. There were some believability issues and some plot holes that were bothersome. The whole premise of the novel is that several things happened all at once [the cyberstorm, the blizzard, etc] that caused the situation to be so bad - it was a little far fetched IMO. The odds of all of those things happening simultaneously is very slim, indeed.

But one thing that I don't see mentioned much in the other reviews is the weak female characters. Every woman in this book practically reverts to a helpless dependent the moment the power goes out. I found it really insulting, actually. The women stay home and watch the babies and cook. I very much enjoy dystopian fiction, but this is a common thread I see among certain authors. Women don't become useless idiots the moment anything goes wrong. I enjoy seeing strong female characters [such as the ones in "One Second After" or "Ashfall"] - not these pathetic wimpy creatures who can't do a thing for themselves. And, in general, I really disliked the main character's wife, both before and after the Cyberstorm event. I kept hoping she'd die, but she never did.

On the positive side, this was an interesting concept as far as the Cyber Attack went. I wasn't really aware of this as a possibility, so it was quite fascinating. I also thought some of his male characters were well drawn, and I found myself wanting to find out what happened to them. [Which is why I kept reading to the end, even when it got so bad].

Perfect Puppy in 7 Days How to Start Your Puppy off Right
Perfect Puppy in 7 Days How to Start Your Puppy off Right
by Sophia A. Yin
9 used & new from $13.97

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book But VERY Time Intensive, September 19, 2014
I have no doubt that if you followed the advice in this book, you would have a great puppy at the end of the process. The problem is that this method involves *intensive* time that most people probably won't have to devote. Really, you would have to have 24/7 available for at least that first 7 days [and really for several weeks or months] in order to do this. It really involves keeping the puppy with you almost all the time and focusing intensely on the puppy to correct every little thing that needs correcting. I did learn a lot from this book and I am using a lot of her advice with our puppy, but I have to also work and take care of children, etc. I was unable to devote quite as much time as this method requires.

There is great info in here on the puppy care and how puppies see and behave, etc. I think this is a great book to have even if you don't have time to do everything she says you must do. I read large parts of this book to my children and it helped them do better with the puppy as well - it was helpful to understand why puppies do what they do.

AP English Literature & Composition For Dummies
AP English Literature & Composition For Dummies
by Geraldine Woods
31 used & new from $3.32

2.0 out of 5 stars This is a Study Guide ONLY, September 19, 2014
Though it is not labeled as a study guide, this book is a study guide for the AP exam, only. It is not actually a book on AP English Literature for Dummies, which is what I was looking for. I wish this had been labeled a Study Guide - it is completely useless for my purposes.

Ashen Winter (Ashfall Trilogy)
Ashen Winter (Ashfall Trilogy)
by Mike Mullin
Price: $9.38
56 used & new from $4.07

1.0 out of 5 stars Extremely Disappointing Sequel To A Great First Book!, May 28, 2014
I loved "Ashfall" so much - it was one of the best books I've read in a long while. I was very excited about reading the sequel [in fact, I purchased all 3 in hardback because I liked the first one so well].

I really did not like "Ashen Winter". It felt very slow and boring. The pace was really off, in my opinion.

One of the main things that put me off was that the main characters kept doing stupid things that did not make sense to me. The fact that they left the relative safety of Alex's aunt and uncle and sister and cousins to go back out into the "uncivilized" parts of the world looking for Alex's parents, without any real plan or even an idea of where the parents might be, annoyed me. I just really couldn't believe that this would really happen in a real situation like that. I could not quite get over that sense of disbelief at them doing something so stupid [and leaving the loved ones at home to starve without their desperately needed labor]. Then there was the matter of it being "so urgent" for Alex to go find his parents, but then he decides inexplicably to stop and try to steal grain from the mercenaries? It just didn't make any sense. One stupid decision after another had me not caring about these characters at all - which was very unlike the first book where I was completely invested in the characters.

I also just never did really get into this book - the plot was so slow and draggy that it was literally painful to read. 143 pages in, I just gave up and put it down. [I almost never do this]. Reading some of the reviews here, I'm glad I did - some of the spoilers indicate things that I would have really hated. [Darla was my favorite character from book 1, and it sounds like she isn't as strong in this book, perhaps]. And Alex was really just annoying in this book. I liked him so much in Book 1, but by page 143 of this book, I didn't care if he lived or died.

One personal pet peeve I'll mention - I just don't think sex scenes are appropriate for young adult novels. [I admit I am biased - I work on the maternity floor of a hospital and we see far too many very young pregnant teens for me to think books like this aimed at teens are a good thing.] I also read Young Adult fiction because I don't want to wade through sex scenes and because most of the books I read, I also read along with my teens. I got really sick of the sex scenes and constant mention of sex in these books. In a situation where they are that exhausted, hungry, frozen, and stressed, it is just a little odd to be so obsessed with sex in the first place. When one is weak from malnutrition, over work, and stress, how much energy does one *really* have for sex anyway? Add to that the "life or death" nature of pregnancy in this situation, and the emphasis on sex just didn't seem realistic to me.

I really hate that this book went so far afield of the amazing "Ashfall". I doubt I'll finish it or ever start on Book 3.

Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, Book 1)
Moon Called (Mercy Thompson, Book 1)
by Patricia Briggs
Edition: Mass Market Paperback
Price: $7.19
248 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Book, Lame Cover!, May 28, 2014
The only complaint I had about this book was the stupid cover! I almost didn't buy the book because I had very low expectations of any book that portrays the female lead like that - but I'm so glad I bought it anyway! [I bought it on someone's recommendation to "Ignore the cover!" SO glad I took their advice!]

This book is an excellent read! The female lead is *outstanding* - smart, strong, admirable in every way. She is really complex and interesting. Her history is fascinating. I really liked her and thoroughly enjoyed reading her story.

The secondary characters are all amazing as well - very interesting, very varied, awesomely real. The plot was non-stop and intriguing. The world is well drawn and interesting as well. [And, honestly, this is really saying something coming from me - I'm pretty burned out on werewolf and vampire fiction - for me to love this book so much is high praise indeed!]

I enjoyed this book cover to cover and have already ordered the next one. This author is extremely talented and I am so pleased that I decided to read this series!

Gaia Herbs Black Elderberry Syrup, 3-Ounce Bottle
Gaia Herbs Black Elderberry Syrup, 3-Ounce Bottle
Offered by House of Nutrition
Price: $15.50
10 used & new from $8.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Miraculous!!, May 22, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've been hearing about the benefits of Elderberry Syrup for the immune system for years. I finally decided to try it.

I ordered this at a time when I'd been dealing with a pretty severe cold that would not go away. When it arrived in the mail, I took it as directed just before bedtime, and I woke up the next morning feeling 100% better! It was really amazing. I continued taking it for a few days to be sure, and the cold was just gone.

A couple of weeks later, I started to feel like I was coming down with another cold. I took this again just before bed and woke up feeling fine the next morning.

I will never be without this product again! It is extremely helpful and effective. Tastes great, too!

Missing Microbes: How the Overuse of Antibiotics Is Fueling Our Modern Plagues
Missing Microbes: How the Overuse of Antibiotics Is Fueling Our Modern Plagues
by Martin J. Blaser
Price: $17.71
55 used & new from $13.28

5.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating And Terrifying - Every Human Should Read This!!, April 24, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is one of the most important books I've ever read. Dr. Blaser manages to take a very scientific subject and make it completely readable and fascinating from start to finish. What he has to say about the destruction of our internal microbes and the far reaching effects on our health is both enlightening and absolutely terrifying.

Based on his own cutting edge research over the last several decades, this book goes into riveting detail about how our "modern plagues" have been created by our own overuse of antibiotics. He gives a clear and understandable explanation for why our rates of obesity, autoimmune disorders, GERD, and a host of other epidemic disorders have come to be so high in the modern age.

I do have to say, if you are a parent, this book will make you feel guilty for all those rounds of antibiotics you gave the children without knowing any better. I left this book with a lot of regret and a feeling that I'd do things much differently with my children's health care, had I the opportunity to do it all again. [which, of course, I don't]. I can clearly see the effects he outlines in both my own health and in that of my children.

I believe that this book is about to spark a radical change the world. I hope so. His advice is advice we have to either take... or die. [pretty literally].

The is the most interesting book I've read in ages, and also the scariest. I believe every human being on the planet ought to read this and act on it, immediately.

Oxiclean Extreme Power Crystals Dishwasher Detergent, Lemon Clean, 20.3 Ounce
Oxiclean Extreme Power Crystals Dishwasher Detergent, Lemon Clean, 20.3 Ounce
Offered by JD Marketing
Price: $15.00
6 used & new from $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Worked Well, April 24, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This detergent worked well and did what it was supposed to do. I am not honestly sure if I would buy it again or if I'll stick with my usual bargain brand, but if price is not an object in your household, this is a great product.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20