Profile for Kevin Pepper > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 126

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Kevin Pepper "JedeyeNite" RSS Feed (Elkmont, AL USA)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-13
Battlestar Galactica: The Definitive Collection [Blu-ray]
Battlestar Galactica: The Definitive Collection [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Richard Hatch
Price: $75.49
23 used & new from $64.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Battlestar Galactica as Never Seen Before., May 14, 2015
Battlestar Galactica is a throwback to my childhood. I was glued to our black and white TV every week to watch a series unlike any other series that had been on air before. When I first of the the rebirth of the series a few years ago, I was very skeptical with the changes I had heard of. As it turned out, the new BG turned out to be a fantastic series. I wondered when the original classic series would be released on Blu-ray. Well....here it is. And you have two versions to pick from: the remastered widescreen edition, or the Definitive Edition with BOTH widescreen and original full frame version, PLUS the original theatrical version of the pilot.

When I first heard they were remastering this to fit current widescreen TV's, I have to admit I was intrigued. But I also had fond memories of the original format, so I chose to purchase the Definitive Edition for an extra $20. So......is it worth the extra expense??? Before I answer that, let me start with the packaging. The outer slipcase is quite nice. It's a sturdy cardboard with a metallic look to the outer artwork. The lettering of the title is raised, and the cylon head is slightly raised from the surface. The reflective nature of the artwork is really nice to look at. Inside the box are 5 hard shell blu-ray cases. One for the original series in widescreen, one of the same in full frame, one of the 1980 series in widescreen, and one of the same in full frame, and finally one with the single disc of the theatrical release of the pilot episode.

Now let's get to what's on the discs. The first one I watched was the remastered widescreen version. Right off from the title screen I thought that something looked....off. It wasn't the crisp image I was expecting. I immediately thought of the glorious remastered version of Space 1999 (see my Amazon review of that classic set), and how fantastic it looks on blu-ray. With BG being a newer show, I expected similar results. There is noticeable scratches and scuffs that pop across the screen, and the colors look somewhat washed out. There is also a lack of crispness that you would expect from high definition. I wasn't sure if it was due to the zoom in that was necessary to create a widescreen image from the original full screen element. To check that out, I popped in the same episode from the full frame set. As soon as the titles came on, there was a noticeable difference. The starry backgrounds have a much nicer blackness to them with the stars popping off the background. There is also no denying that the special effects look much better on the full frame versions. One thing that was very noticeable in the widescreen was the "matting" around the ships as they travel around the screen. When you watch the full frame version, it is just not that evident. The effects are much clearer, and the colors are much more crisp in the full frame versions. Another very noticeable difference is the skin tones. In the widescreen versions, there is a waxy look to the skin, but in the full frame versions, the skin tones are much more natural. One final thing I have to point out is that in the cropping of the original format, you really do lose a lot of screen information.

While I was so excited about the widescreen version, after viewing it, I am surprised that I prefer the original full frame episodes. The sound quality on them seem to be identical, but there is no way you could watch both and not realize that the widescreen version is inferior to the full frame. If you're a true BG fan, do yourself a favor and spend the extra few dollars to get the original series in the best looking version I have ever seen it, the full frame version. It is truly the most ideal way to see this fantastic series in high definition.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 18, 2015 6:28 PM PDT

Christine
Christine
Offered by DJT Media
Price: $29.99
7 used & new from $16.86

5.0 out of 5 stars FINALLY Christine on Blu Ray at a Great Price, May 12, 2015
This review is from: Christine (Blu-ray)
After being so disappointed that I missed the opportunity to get Christine on blu-ray when Twilight Time released it in a limited edition last year. With the price tag at about $170 for that version now, I just can't pay that much for it. I was so surprised to run across this edition from Germany. I got it in the mail today, and boy was I surprised. This is a Region Free release, and plays perfectly on my PS4. Now what was I surprised at???? The $17 price tag??? no I was surprised to find that this release is actually much better than the Twilight Time release. The picture is a big improvement over the DVD release, and the sound is incredible for such an old movie. Now for what I was surprised at. All of the special features from the previous DVD release are included on this blu-ray. That includes the commentary, deleted scenes, and three featurettes that total almost an hour. So the bottom line is, if you missed the Twilight Time release, do NOT pay the outrageous price for it. Grab this German version for a small fraction of that inflated price. I also managed to receive it from Germany within 2 weeks.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 26, 2015 1:17 PM PDT

Noah [HD]
Noah [HD]
DVD

1.0 out of 5 stars This Film Should Have Been Left on the Ark., May 8, 2015
This review is from: Noah [HD] (Amazon Instant Video)
First of all, I have to admit that the story of Noah was my favorite Bible story as a child, and still remains at the top. The story as told in the Bible is one that is a great story of redemption and the determination of Noah to fulfill his destiny. The story that I was familiar with ends with Noah and his family leaving the ark and moving out into a new world to replenish the Earth. While I wasn't expecting a completely faithful retelling of this great story, I did hope that the heart of the story would still be there. There are some gaps in the biblical tale that leave room for some dramatic material to flesh out the story. As the film started, I was looking forward to the depiction of the actual flood, but it was difficult to stay with it long enough to reach that point. I trudged through this laborious movie that completely ripped the heart out of this fantastic tale and doesn't leave anything at all for me to care about. Noah himself is not even a likable character in this film. Even if I remove my disappointments over all of the changes made to the biblical tale, this is just a HORRIBLE movie.

Book of the Dead (TombQuest, Book 1)
Book of the Dead (TombQuest, Book 1)
by Michael Northrop
Price: $10.62
104 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Beginning to New Series, January 2, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I've always been interested in ancient Egypt, so the setting of this book drew me in immediately. The book opens with a dark ceremony by a secret society. It then jumps right to the main Character, Alex who is a young boy with a serious medical condition. His mom works at a museum, and is currently working on an Egyptian section. Alex's mother decides to use the Book of the Dead to bring her son back to life, and unknown to her brings some Dead Walkers back to life in the process. In the Beta for the online game that goes along with this book, you can build some build some levels and let your friends try to find hidden items and fight off some ghouls. Kids who like MineCraft will probably love this game. A great way to get kids into reading just for the fun of it.

Escape from the Lizzarks (Nnewts)
Escape from the Lizzarks (Nnewts)
by Doug TenNapel
Price: $12.73
52 used & new from $3.57

5.0 out of 5 stars The Birth of a New Hero, January 2, 2015
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Little Herk has lost everything when his village was attacked. He has been the brunt of jokes of his friends because of his tiny legs. His dream is to get legs strong enough to leave the safety of water and begin to walk on land. During the invasion of his village, he escapes and then begins a fantastic journey through a world he's never seen before. This was a fun book to read, and serves as a great beginning to a promising series.

USB A to Micro B Colored  Phone Charging Cable 6FT-PVC jacket-Orange
USB A to Micro B Colored Phone Charging Cable 6FT-PVC jacket-Orange
Price: $5.10

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Charger Cable for PS4 Controller and Kindle Fire HD, November 20, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I wasn't sure if I would like the orange color of this cable, but it actually adds to its usefulness. I wanted this cable to serve two purposes; charge my PS4 controller and my Kindle Fire HD. There's not much to say about it other than it serves its basic function. Now to the orange color. This has turned out to be a big asset for this cable in my opinion. I don't know about you, but I have so many devices and cables, it's hard to keep track of what goes with what because most of them are all black. The orange color makes it very easy to identify this cable when I have it in the basket where I keep the others. The length also works well when I want to plug my controller up to my Mac to charge while I continue to play a game on my PS4. If you don't mind the orange color, this is a great cable.

Mrs. Mays Fruit and Nut Toppers, Cranberry Almond, 4-Ounce (Pack of 6)
Mrs. Mays Fruit and Nut Toppers, Cranberry Almond, 4-Ounce (Pack of 6)
Offered by Med Therapies
Price: $28.53
2 used & new from $26.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Versatile Topper, November 20, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
O ordered this thinking it would be a great addition to a salad. While it does serve that purpose very well, I have found other uses for this tasty treat. I like plain old fashioned Cheerios, but decided to liven them up with a sprinkling of the fruit and nut toppers. Added a nice fruity taste to my ordinary cereal. Since this worked well in my cold cereal, I thought about adding it to a bowl of cream of wheat. The nutty sweet taste of these toppers was a great addition that isn't nearly as bad for me as my usual sugar and butter additions. I just kept finding other uses for this by adding a few sprinkles to a few scoops of vanilla ice cream. If none of this interests you, they're actually a tasty little snack just by themselves. I will definitely be buying more of this, as i have already emptied the bag.

Stainless Steel Deluxe Rolling Spin Mop By Mopnado - Includes Scrub Brush - Satisfaction Guaranteed - No Foot Pedal Needed - Only Spin Mop with Mop Head Agitation While in the Water Reservoir - Includes 2 Microfiber Mop Heads
Offered by Marlow's Mercantile
Price: $64.99
2 used & new from $55.24

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Mop I've Ever Used!!!!!!, November 14, 2014
My mother is no longer able to lug around a bucket of water in order to mop her floors. When looking for an alternative, I found the Mopnado. I had looked at some other brands, but wasn't sure of the quality of those products. Some seemed very cheaply made. I needed something easy for my mother to rinse and pull around the house. When the mop came, I went over to put it together and then show her how to use it. She easily attached and removed the mop head, and LOOVED the agitator and the spinner. Their house has all wood floors, so she didn't want a lot of water on the floors. After just a few tries, my mother was easily able to agitate the mop clean and then spin it to remove most of the moisture. I went one day to clean house for my parents, and had a great time mopping with the Mopnado. It was very easy to rinse and spin dry. I didn't even use any cleaner at all, but the floors were spotless. My mother called later to tell me how she had washed the mop head and was shocked at how white it came out. Almost all of the dirt was removed. This is a great mop, and it is well worth the upgrade to get the one with the stainless steel spin drum. I am considering ordering one for myself now.

Barbarian Lord
Barbarian Lord
by Matt Smith
Price: $14.56
62 used & new from $3.03

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Action Story for Older Kids, November 11, 2014
This review is from: Barbarian Lord (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you're wondering what to expect from this book, think of the original Conan books, but for kids. I love the fact that the author chose to present this story as a graphic novel. The black and white artwork is very well done, and really makes the action come alive. While this is presented as a kid's book, I think the vocabulary and some of the action is a little too much for a reader younger than fourth grade. There is no blood splatter, but this is about barbarians, so there is a lot of violence in it. The perfect audience would probably be early to late middle school. I hope this is the first in a new series, because I really enjoyed the story, and would like to read the further adventures of the Barbarian Lord.

Planet of the Vampires [Blu-ray]
Planet of the Vampires [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Barry Sullivan
Offered by On Target Discounts
Price: $16.48
28 used & new from $13.64

5.0 out of 5 stars The Demon Planet has Never Looked Better!!!, October 31, 2014
I was first introduced to the Planet of the Vampires several years ago when it came out on a Midnite Movie DVD. I was expecting a really cheesy film like most of the sci-fi produced during that era. As I watched it, I was amazed at the similarities between it and one of my favorite sic-fi horror titles. From the "U" shaped spaceship, to the call from an alien planet, to the way the exhaust from the landing spaceship pluming up around the ship. If you haven't guessed, I'm talking about Ridley Scott's original classic, "Alien". Even the design of the planet's surface is similar. Now, I'm not saying that Ridley Scott completely copied this film, but it is evident that it served as an inspiration. After all, while the images may be alike, the stories are quite different. Actually, Scott claims to have never seen this film. If you're simply expecting a good cheesy sic-fi horror flick, you may be pleasantly surprised as I was to find that it's actually quite a good film. Aside from getting a really good film with this package, you also get a big upgrade from the DVD. The picture is amazingly sharp and clear. Considering this is not a major title, I was quite surprised to find a good handful of extras on this new HD release. You get an audio commentary, some trailers, two short features titled Trailers from Hell with Joe Dante and one with Josh Olson. While these are only about 3 min. each, there is a lot of information packed into them. There is also a still gallery, alternate music opening highlights, original Italian opening credit, and the entire original shorty story by Renato Pestriniero. With all of these features, it is now clear why the price is a little higher than I originally expected when I first heard this gem was coming to Blu-ray. If you've never seen this movie before, and you like a good creepy, atmospheric film, I would suggest you check it out. If you have the old DVD, then I suggest you use it as a coaster and invest in this upgrade. If you're a fan of the film, you definitely will not be disappointed.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 7, 2015 9:04 PM PDT