Profile for An Architect > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 32

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

An Architect RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Connectland CL-U2MNHUB-4B 4 Ports USB V2.0 Mini Hub (Black)
Connectland CL-U2MNHUB-4B 4 Ports USB V2.0 Mini Hub (Black)
Price: $6.27
32 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Piece of garbage, October 20, 2012
One of the ports was out right away and the others are slowly dying. Cheesy build. It's a good price, but I would recommend buying something better.

Cherries in Winter: My Family's Recipe for Hope in Hard Times
Cherries in Winter: My Family's Recipe for Hope in Hard Times
Offered by Random House LLC
Price: $10.81

2.0 out of 5 stars Very overpriced in Kindle version, June 30, 2012
I can't get it before the holidays, even with Prime. The Kindle version has a price that is shocking: $13.95. A hard back version costs 8 dollars and something. Why is it that an electronic version is nearly twice as much when it saves the publisher the cost of printing a book and amazon the cost of handling a physical book?

The Wind Through the Keyhole: A Dark Tower Novel
The Wind Through the Keyhole: A Dark Tower Novel
by Stephen King
10 used & new from $19.56

3.0 out of 5 stars Paperback Pricing, May 21, 2012
I'm wondering why the paperback is $33 when the hardback is about $15. I want to buy this for my friend but he wants a paperback and it is way expensive.

Dolphin Browser
Dolphin Browser
Price: $0.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice fast browser for Android with flexibility, March 15, 2012
This review is from: Dolphin Browser (App)
This is a much better browser than the ones I have built into my android RAZR and the Nook Tablet that someone gave me for Christmas. The main thing that bothered me about the built in browser was the apparent lack of ability to store bookmarks in folders. If you use bookmarks they can soon accumulate into a long, disorganized list. That negates the purpose of bookmarks.

In the Dolphin Browser you can make folders for the bookmarks. I found it a little difficult to figure out how to do it, but trust me, it does. The trick is this: Once you get your bookmarks showing on the side bar (by simply sliding the left edge toward the right), you cannot add folders to the list as in Windows. Click Quick Access/Bookmarks. Once you are in this view you click the menu on your device (not the one in the app) and it will have choices to "Add bookmark" and "New Folder". The rest is easy.

As a bonus, the browser is very fast, as claimed in the description. Whether it is faster than the built-in browser is debatable. On the RAZR's 4G network both browsers run lightening fast. On WIFI, the Nook also seems to run equally well with both.

I found it difficult to activate the app's account with my email. At first I thought this was because I have several devices and I don't receive my email notifications anywhere but on the desktop. I tried clicking the "Activate" button when the notification came in on my desktop, but the devices still said that the account was not activated. I tried signing up with a different email but that didn't help either. I finally gave up on activating the account because it seemed to work okay without it. That was yesterday. Today I tried one last time to click the "Activate" button on the email and this time it said I had successfully activated it. Now everything works. I have a feeling that somewhere there is a human being causing a lag in the activation, so if you get this program give it a day or two to activate.

The other nice thing is that this program is available on the Nook as well as the regular androids. When you buy a Nook Tablet you can install only the apps that Barnes and Noble sells you (this one was one of the few that is free, however). If you want apps that run on multiple android platforms, be careful about buying a Nook because your choices are very, very limited. I am delighted that this app could be had for both devices. I read somewhere that you can't get Dolphin for the Kindle Fire, but I'm not sure I believe this since I obviously got my android version on the amazon market.

Docs To Go - Free Office Suite
Docs To Go - Free Office Suite
Price: $0.00

1.0 out of 5 stars A bit misleading, March 7, 2012
I downloaded this App, called "Main App". It's free. I assumed that means it has basic functionality with no frills and a lot of ad banners. However, this not one of your free ad banner apps. It actually does nothing. You can look at files created elsewhere, but so what? It is a "bait and switch" tactic. You are hooked in by the offer for free software, but in the end you can't use it unless you fork over $15. I think this is really dishonest. Why don't you just list the program at $15 and stop trying to trick people?

Red - Cruzer Lite Androidified High Gloss TPU Soft Gel Skin Case - For DROID RAZR by Motorola (Verizon Wireless) [Cruzer Lite Retail Packaging]

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice little case, February 23, 2012
I was slightly disappointed because the color is not as dark red as it appears online. I would describe the color as red orange and it is pretty bright. If I ordered it again I would get a different color, but I don't dislike it enough to exchange it. (My partner said it looks like a kids phone with the silicon case. Since I'm not a kid any more I sort of like that!)

Other than that, I agree with the other reviewers about the good fit on the device. I also like the droid pattern on the back. It's cool! And it's certainly a great product for the money.

NEEWER® 160 LED CN-160 Dimmable Ultra High Power Panel Digital Camera / Camcorder Video Light, LED Light for Canon, Nikon, Pentax, Panasonic,SONY, Samsung and Olympus Digital SLR Cameras
Offered by standbyon
Price: $27.95
20 used & new from $23.46

1.0 out of 5 stars Unfortunately it has a weak attachment, January 10, 2012
I agree with all who felt it was a good buy, being much lower in price to similar brands with the same features. I was also delighted with it. At first.

Unfortunately, the plastic screw clamp split at the seam after one usage. I have tried to figure out a way to fix it, but there doesn't seem to be a way. Basically, the thing is useless if you can't achieve a secure mount. I'm not sure if the more expensive brands have sturdier construction, but I sure don't recommend this one.

Later note: Others have said the connection is "fragile" but okay if handled carefully. However, just using it normally, that is, screwing the hot shoe down caused the ring to split. Maybe this one was more defective than others, but it could use some strengthening. There was no metal on the one I got.

I went over to the hardware store today because I thought I might attach this thing to an adapter which has a tripod thread on one end and a hot shoe mount on the other. I suppose one could drill a threaded hole for the tripod mount, but I'm not sure how long that would last. I came up with a Rube Goldberg solution. If you unscrew the bottom joint, you will find that the screw inside the joint is the same gage as the tripod mount - 1/4". In the hardware store I found a coupler for 1/4" screws and attached it to the screw in the joint. if I turn the unit sideways it mounts to the screw on top of a tripod or, using my adapter, I can mount it on a hot shoe. If you have a ball top tripod, it still is somewhat versatile, but using the hot shoe mount on top of the camera is tricky. Although there are adapters that help out here, this is not a good solution if you're trying to shoot a wedding with the light on the camera. It works okay for studio situations.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 21, 2012 9:06 AM PDT

Royal Canin Dry Cat Food, Intense Hairball 34 Formula, 15-Pound Bag
Royal Canin Dry Cat Food, Intense Hairball 34 Formula, 15-Pound Bag
Price: $38.69
6 used & new from $38.69

3.0 out of 5 stars I wish it worked, but it doesn't, November 18, 2011
"What? $44 for a bag of catfood?" This was my reaction when I clicked on Royal Canin Intense Hairball Formula. Only a 15 lb bag and I'm used to paying about $12 for a 30 pound bag of regular food.

But now I was considering the fact that for the the umpteenth time I had stepped into a live hairball with my bare feet in the middle of the night. I was desperate. I'd do anything to stop those hairballs and the reviewers for this food just raved about how it completely cured the problem for them. I gritted my teeth and put the food on my credit card.

At first it seemed to help, but sorry to say, I stepped out of bed into a hairball this morning. And there was another pile in the hall and several little gifts have turned up here for the past week or so. I think it's actually worse than before in frequency and output.

The only good thing is that this food has no food coloring or dyes in it and therefore is a lot easier to lift the stain than with the $12 food. It also smells wonderful and the cats just love it. The ingredients seem to be top choice. "Well, you little suckers," I said to them, "Too bad you like the food so much. If you just hadn't started throwing up again I would buy it forever. You blew it, kids!"

Next I'm going to look for something in between. Something without food color and with hairball control, but less costly. Any ideas out there?

Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 Classroom in a Book
Adobe Premiere Pro CS5 Classroom in a Book
by Adobe Creative Team
Price: $34.67
86 used & new from $0.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Best way to learn this program, November 17, 2011
I admit that I am impatient learning new programs after having learned so many over the last 20 years. Adobe Creative Team really dealt with my impatience. So often when you learn software from books, you do not have the files you need to really learn the material. Adobe has provided a CD with files designed to have everything you need to understand the concept.

The book was written for CS5 version, so there are some updates and changes which mean that it isn't quite right if you're learning the current version CS5.5. However, as the book cover tells you, there is CS5.5 bonus content on a website. It is in the form of an *.epub file. This is a bit baffling at first because Windows does not know what program it goes with. I'll save you some trouble by telling you that it runs under Adobe Digital Editions, which is free download. Once you know that, it all works pretty well (I sure wish they told me this in advance however!)

The material is generally presented quite clearly. It is sometimes difficult to know exactly where they mean for you to go when they say something like "Select the Build Panel" and you don't see any panel with the title "Build". They are expecting you to remember a previous lesson where you got to the Build Panel by selecting Build from the File menu. What I'm saying is to expect your intelligence and short term memory to be tested by some of the instructions. The good news is that a little difficulty means you'll probably remember it better long term.

The only criticism I have is the decision to spend a lot of space explaining concepts from programs which are not included with Premiere Pro. These are Soundbooth, Photoshop and After Effects. What is the point of having this material if you have to buy another program and you don't need it? There are plenty of books available for those who own these programs.

Nonetheless, most chapters are quite useful and are very well organized. I did not find myself skipping ahead as I often do in software books that don't tell you first things first. I also found myself delighted and excited about many of the features I discovered in this book.

Duracell High Speed Card 32 GB Class 10 Secure Digital  DU-SD1032G-C
Duracell High Speed Card 32 GB Class 10 Secure Digital DU-SD1032G-C
Price: $26.60
14 used & new from $22.02

5.0 out of 5 stars No issues with this card -- Good price!, March 28, 2011
I have no way of judging speed, but there doesn't seem to be any hold up. I have probably shot 500 or so photos by now and I just came back to buy another one!

Later: Have shot HD video for a couple of weddings now and filled up the cards. They seem very fast while shooting. Never any hangups.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4