Profile for Holly J > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 139

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Holly J RSS Feed (Indianapolis, In United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14
Drinkwell Zen Steel Fountain
Drinkwell Zen Steel Fountain
Price: $45.03
31 used & new from $38.28

5.0 out of 5 stars The cats love this and stay well hydrated, July 26, 2015
I ended up buying two of these, one for my parents' cat (the one they "stole" from me - they babysat him, and then said, "er, perhaps you could get another cat?" He has them totally wrapped around his little paw), and then my (other) cat at my house.

This was pretty easy to assemble, and cat #1 walked right over and started drinking. Of course, he's the one who only drinks from running faucets (Maine Coon). But he's gotten arthritis in his elbows, and can't jump up to the sink easily. Thus this fountain to encourage him to stay hydrated. Because a bowl of still water is just ... eww, and you get the stare, or, the glare. Cat #2 had to be coaxed near the fountain, he wasn't too sure about the sound, and he's a happy water bowl cat, but once he decided that it was safe, he's drinking away happily. Cat #2 also loves very fresh water (and will come to me to request a fresh bowl a couple of times a day), but with this fountain he's happy with the slightly oxygenated water for a much longer period of time. I just top up the water, and then do a complete water change and pump clean once a week.

The pump is easy enough to clean. The most difficult is the first time you (gently) try to pull off the outer housing while trying not to break one of the little bars/pieces. But one I got where to grip and how to pull - no problem. Reassembly is easy, and off you go. I find the motor sound to be quiet (in both fountains), and although it's not necessary for sound insulation, I sat both on a tea towel on a tray on the floor as the floors are wood - just in case playful kitties scattered water a bit.

I did find the max/min water level marks a bit difficult to see - they are slightly raised lines to the right of the water flow on the black plastic of the pump cover. I cut a piece of aluminum duct tape and put it from the max line to the min line, and that has made it much easier to tell where to stop filling. The water sound is really quiet when it's within about 1/4" of the max line, and then makes a soft water feature sound as gets lower - a nice sort of 'alarm' to me to put some water in. At that point it's still well above the min level - but I might as well fill it then to establish a good habit.

When I first plugged this in, the sound seemed loud, but I have a very quiet house, and the AC or house fan wasn't running yet, and now I hardly hear it at all. Once the motor did seem loud, but when I took the housing off and reseated the pump on the bottom of the bowl, and then the housing on the bowl, it was all quiet again, I just hadn't seated something (the housing?) securely.

I would definitely buy this again, and in fact, I'm thinking of buying another for the screen porch in the summer for when the cat stays out there for hours on end with only the (eww) bowl of non-flowing water.

The Principles of Knitting
The Principles of Knitting
by June Hiatt
Price: $25.99
63 used & new from $15.52

5.0 out of 5 stars Good general reverence for a broad range of topics, July 26, 2015
A large comprehensive book - I admit that I haven't had a chance to go through the whole thing at all yet, but it seems to be a good collection of all sorts of interesting and useful information. There is a good amount in there that I already know, but flipping through quickly there is enough that is new to me, or a variation of something that I haven't run across that I'm happy paying for this to use as a general reverence.

Swingline GBC ID Badge Clips, Clear, Badge Holder Clip, 100 Per Pack (1122897)
Swingline GBC ID Badge Clips, Clear, Badge Holder Clip, 100 Per Pack (1122897)
Price: $9.99
26 used & new from $8.66

4.0 out of 5 stars Well constructed and sturdy, July 26, 2015
Simple, well constructed, and what I was looking for. The only thing that I would like more would be a slightly larger hole in the clip end so that that part could be threaded on a flat split ring. Flat split rings (that I like and that I use) are slightly wider that the usual 1" split rings that these fit well. Still - these are quite useful. The clear strap is sturdy and shape securely.

Hirts Gardens Ladybug Nectar, 8 oz
Hirts Gardens Ladybug Nectar, 8 oz
Offered by Hirt's Gardens
Price: $15.00
3 used & new from $4.99

4.0 out of 5 stars An easy shortcut to keep your ladybugs in the right place, July 26, 2015
I'm pretty sure this worked, as the ladybugs I released seemed to hang around for a while, and after their eggs hatched the aphids on my cherries were eaten. Easy to mix up, and use. It's easier for me to use this than to spend the time to make something up on my own to serve the same purpose. The extra has gone (vacuum packed) in the freezer for use later this Summer, or more likely, for next Spring.

Hoarders Season 5 [HD]
Hoarders Season 5 [HD]
Price: $19.99

4.0 out of 5 stars A good season, July 26, 2015
A good season. Decent variety of issues, people, and reactions to the process. It was nice to see some individuals who were invested in the process rather than just those who were fighting the whole thing all of the time. And it inspired me to do some donating/sorting and tidying just in case.

Drinkwell Pet Fountain Cleaning Kit
Drinkwell Pet Fountain Cleaning Kit
Price: $7.79
45 used & new from $5.02

5.0 out of 5 stars Perhaps a luxury, but makes life easier, June 17, 2015
At first I thought I was going overboard getting the special "OEM" brushes for my pet fountain (and I've just bought my second one - love it), but I have to admit that it's nice to have brushes that are exactly the right size for the item that I'm cleaning. There's a brush just the size for the pump intake, and the big one is stiff enough to get most of the hard water line from the edge of the bowl (I have the stainless steel bowl).

You could probably still clean it decently without the "proper" brushes, but they do make life easier.

Tanglefoot 300000687 Tree Care Kit With 15 oz Tub
Tanglefoot 300000687 Tree Care Kit With 15 oz Tub

5.0 out of 5 stars Take that you, you, aphids!! (and ants), June 17, 2015
Stoopid ants, and aphids. I like this - after reading the reviews about ants being able to crawl under the wrap, I adapted someone else's idea. I bought some water pipe insulation, and put it under the paper wrap. It's the kind that is a bit squishy and black, and slips over your hot water pipes to insulate them. This came with a self-stick adhesive strip, but I didn't need that. I cut it about 1/4" longer than the tape is wide, and then wrapped it snugly where I would put the tape. Because it's closed cell foam, there would be no tunnels for the ants, and it can expand as the tree grows. (mine are only about 3 years old, and are still small) Then I put the paper tape on, secured it, and smeared the sticky on with a wooden thingie (craft stick?). I've got 9 young fruit trees, and this kit should be more than enough for this year, and perhaps even for next Spring as well. (I didn't have to spread the sticky very thickly)

It works, the ants all stick, and the aphids are being eaten by the ladybugs that I released. Hah!

Nova Volume 6 [HD]
Nova Volume 6 [HD]
Price: $14.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Comfort food for the brain, June 17, 2015
Generally, I almost always really like anything that Nova puts out. I may like some more than others, or not be in the mood for certain topics, but I appreciate the level of detail - more than average, but not enough to require too much brain work. The questions that are asked during the investigation of the topic at hand are ones that I am interested in. Nova's are kind of like National Geographic nature programs, sometimes you aren't quite sure how you came to be watching one, but once you start, you end up watching the whole thing. And being interested. At least in the Nova episodes you don't usually see the big cats of Africa munching on the poor little baby herbivore. (OK, usually they are shown catching the weaker adults, but still!)

These episodes are kind of like the comfort food of TV, with the added advantage of being educational. :)

The Medici: Godfathers of the Renaissance
The Medici: Godfathers of the Renaissance
DVD
Price: $3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting, June 17, 2015
Interesting, and I found it a nice piece to have in the background when doing some work at home that required little attention (working with sheep fleece and spinning, etc.) I have only watched the first (of a few?) episodes on the Medici's, but I don't see any reason why I won't watch the rest of them. Having said that, if watching this was the only thing that I was doing, I might need something to distract me just a bit that I could do without thought (knitting, spinning, etc.)

Nikon D40x Compact Battery Charger - Premium Quality TechFuel Battery Charger
Nikon D40x Compact Battery Charger - Premium Quality TechFuel Battery Charger
Offered by Battery Heads
Price: $14.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice compact size for travel as well as regular use, June 15, 2015
I couldn't find the cord for my normal charger, and I found this to replace it (while I continue looking for the cord in the "safe place" where I put it!). I like this actually, as it's smaller to use when traveling. It comes with a nice cord to use for charging from a cigarette lighter in a car, as well as an adaptor to use abroad (england, two round pins). I like the way the prongs swing out as well. Also, the part where the battery fits slides off, so that you could (I imagine), put on parts to charge other closely related batteries. I don't need that feature, but it makes sense. I use this for my Nikon D40x batteries, and it works well and takes about the same amount of time as the OEM part.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-14