Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Gear Up for Football Deal of the Day
Profile for R. Fieser > Reviews

Browse

R. Fieser's Profile

Customer Reviews: 15

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

R. Fieser RSS Feed (Bellevue, WA United States)

Page: 1 | 2
Frasier Season 11 [HD]
Frasier Season 11 [HD]
DVD
Price: $19.99

5.0 out of 5 stars It seemed that the show lagged a little at the ..., August 30, 2015
It seemed that the show lagged a little at the start of the season, but finished well with Frazier in his quest for "the one".

Fire HD 7, 7" HD Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB - Includes Special Offers, White
Fire HD 7, 7" HD Display, Wi-Fi, 8 GB - Includes Special Offers, White
Price: $139.00

5.0 out of 5 stars ... Fire (a hand me down from my wife) and liked it. However, July 30, 2015
I had the original Kindle Fire (a hand me down from my wife) and liked it. However, it was slow for web browsing and email viewing. This Kindle is much, much faster. I think the build quality is decent though not as sturdy as the original. It might also have a shorter battery life than the original. However, for the money, I think it's a good deal.

Fintie HP Stream 7 (Model 5701/5709) Folio Case - Premium Vegan Leather Stand Cover with Stylus Loop for HP Stream 7 32GB Windows 8.1 Tablet, Black
Offered by Fintie
Price: $5.99
2 used & new from $3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Pretty darned sturdy for something at this price, June 12, 2015
Shipped fast. Product as described. Pretty darned sturdy for something at this price. My father-in-law really likes it.

Emperor
Emperor
DVD
Price: $14.99

3.0 out of 5 stars OK, good for those with an interest in history and fictional romance., June 20, 2014
This review is from: Emperor (Amazon Instant Video)
The movie is centered on postwar Japan, late 1945, early 1946. It focuses on MacArthur's attempts to get Japan to reform while meting out punishment to Japanese leaders who committed war crimes. The key question he tries to answer is whether Emperor Hirohito should bear responsibility for some of those war crimes. The general that he assigns to do research to answer this question is Bonner Fellers. The movie is split between Fellers' attempts to find out the truth from various Japanese leaders and his recollection of his relationship with a Japanese woman. As far as I can tell from a variety of sites on the Internet, General Fellers had no such relationship. I guess some viewers would find a film without romantic intrigue boring, so they added it in there. I, as an English teacher, have a high threshold for boredom, so I would have liked a more historically accurate film. I won't tell you how the movie ends. I think it is worth watching on DVD or streaming online, but I don't know if it merits plunking down 10 dollars at your local movie theater.

Casio Digital Camera Exilim Zr1100 Black Ex-zr1100bk Japan Import
Casio Digital Camera Exilim Zr1100 Black Ex-zr1100bk Japan Import
Offered by Japan Premium selection fromOSAKA
Price: $259.98
72 used & new from $196.39

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, all around, fun to use camera., April 23, 2014
Actually, I would give it 4.5 stars if it were possible.
A little background for potential buyers of this camera.
In about 2008, Casio came out with a camera called the Exilim-F1. It looked like a DSLR and had the electronic guts of a race car. It took 60 frames a second and did slo-motion video at rates and resolutions that crushed the competition. It was a great camera for golf pros wanting to analyze swings and various coaches in looking for ways to improve their athletes' performance. Unfortunately, it cost about $1,000 and didn't sell well. Casio then made some cheaper cameras - The FH20 and FH25, the FH100 and then then the various ZR models (100, 200, 300, and 400). They are cheaper. They are still faster (in shots per second for full resolution images) than competitors' cameras. They cost a lot less than the F1 did. Unfortunately, they no longer sell them in the US, so you have buy them from Japan or China or Hong Kong , etc. via Amazon or Ebay.
Here's why I like this camera:
1. It feels well-built, very solid.
2. It lets me take lots of pictures of athletes in action (in daylight) very fast.
If I watch someone shoot on goal in a soccer match, and I time it right, I can see step by microstep how the ball came off the kicker's foot and how the goalie deflected it. If I watch someone long or high jumping, I can trace the jumper's movements from take off to landing. For me, it's interesting.
3. It has the best HDR images among compact point and shoots that I have seen. I have a Panasonic FZ7 which does ok on HDR, but I think it merges just 2 or 3 images, while the ZR1100 seems to be merging more - 5 or 7, in its HDR images. As a result, there seems to be more texture in the ZR1100 images and they seem more real, more like what I see with my eyes.
4. It does time lapse videos. You can choose a manual mode where you pick the interval between shots and the duration of shooting. It combines the shots in a Quicktime Video in full HD. You can also choose "Scene Modes" like Clouds or Planes and Trains or Sunset, where the interval and duration (and white balance) are already set.
5. There is a wide shot mode which is kind of like a panorama mode shot stacked onto another panorama mode shot. The field of vision for such pictures is more than 110 degrees, pretty darn wide.
The image quality of individual shots is good to very good depending on the light and the ISO level. However, other cameras are easier to use without reading the manual/user's guide. You need to play with it a little and read the manual to better appreciate this camera's many available features.
I got my camera from Japan via Amazon. The delivery was fast, the communication timely, and the packaging great. One caveat is that the camera you get in such a case usually has its menu set to Japanese. It's not hard to switch to English and there are instructions for doing so online.

There are cameras from Canon, Nikon, Sony, and Panasonic which have longer zooms and similar picture quality. However, for me, this camera is more fun and has more features.

Nikon COOLPIX P600 16.1 MP Wi-Fi CMOS Digital Camera with 60x Zoom NIKKOR Lens and Full HD 1080p Video (Black) (Discontinued by Manufacturer)
Offered by SuperFinds
Price: $329.99
21 used & new from $229.00

4.0 out of 5 stars I had it just for a day but ..., April 4, 2014
I ordered this camera in Mid-March. I returned it after a day after because there were dead pixels on the LCD. I took a total of about 30 pictures. My impressions - It seemed a little slow between shots. However, for me, it makes sharper full zoom images at ISO 100 than any other super zoom camera I have used (Canon SX30, Panasonic FZ70, and Nikon P510). It is incredible how much detail it captures at full zoom. I liked that it had a time lapse function, but never got a chance to use it before returning it). If you think 600mm is enough, I think you will like the Panasonic FZ200 better. It has a shorter shutter lag, has a fast burst mode, clears its buffer pretty quickly so you can take more shots, and may have slightly better picture quality at ISO 800 and above.
Update: Sept 28, 2014 - I got this camera again. The first camera seemed defective: dead pixels in EVF, "haloes" in indoor flash shots, and graininess even in low ISO shots. This one, though refurbished is better - all those problems are gone. It still takes time focusing at full zoom in dim lighting and has a hard time adjusting focus when zooming during a video. However, it takes pretty sharp and detailed pictures at full zoom in good lighting. They are better than I have seen from the SX50. Also, I like the image stabilization in this camera. I took good pics at full zoom, 1440mm, at 1/50 of a second shutter speed. There are many features on this camera which I have not yet used.
I went to a Best Buy store last month. There were P600's and Canon SX50's on display. I took pictures of a cashier about 40 feet away. Both cameras managed it fairly easily. Then I tried to take a picture of some boxes on a shelf maybe 100 feet away in dim light. The SX50 managed it. The P600 didn't. The P600 has really good image quality, but you need patience with it and awareness of its weaknesses.

Far East Chinese Culture Enrichment Activities for Reading & Writing (Book & CD) (English and Chinese Edition)
by Marisa Fang

5.0 out of 5 stars Good basic intermediate text, October 29, 2013
The lessons are fairly short, rare for Chinese texts. The readings are varied. The cultural insights are valuable. I like it.

Olympus Sp-815uz 14mp Digital Camera Hdmi 36x Wide Angle 3d - Black
Olympus Sp-815uz 14mp Digital Camera Hdmi 36x Wide Angle 3d - Black
9 used & new from $98.99

5.0 out of 5 stars My Dad loves it, September 24, 2013
This camera has a tremendous zoom range and is pretty easy to use. Apparently, Olympus improved the image stabilization in this camera as opposed to the IS in the SP-800, as I was able to snap shots at full zoom in daylight without any problem. You need to read the manual to make best use of this camera. It's not really for people who like manual settings. It's small, but powerful. I think my dad really likes it.

Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ70 16.1 MP Digital Camera with 60x Optical Image Stabilized Zoom and 3-Inch LCD (Black)
Offered by RitzCamera
Price: $297.99
44 used & new from $195.47

4.0 out of 5 stars A decent upgrade for the FZ47 and FZ60, September 22, 2013
I had the FZ47 and have the FZZ00. The FZ47 was a great bargain priced all around camera. The FZ200 has the F/2.8 max aperture lens (from 25mm to 600mm), which makes it a favorite for people who need fast shutter speeds in an affordable package. The FZ70 is, to me, a pumped up FZ47 with double the zoom range. The picture quality is decent and, in good lighting, very good. There is some geometric distortion at full wide angle. If it bothers you, you can correct it in software. It focuses pretty fast, faster, I think, than the FZ47. Its top burst mode is fast, but shallow - about 3 shots in half a second. In this way, it's much inferior to the FZ200, which fires off shots like a machine gun and goes over 10 shots before pausing briefly to process them. The FZ200 has an articulating LCD scree while the FZ70 doesn't. The EVF is also much sharper in the FZ200.
This is not a camera for someone to take to a night time HS football game under the lights. It simply won't get you a fast enough shutter speed to freeze the action as the max aperture at full zoom is F/5.9. However, it could be useful for soccer moms and dads for daylight games. No part of a football field or soccer pitch would be too far for the sideline fan. It would also be useful for football and baseball fans who sit far from the field and want to get shots of their favorite coaches or players from high up in the stadium during day games. Other people who might like this camera include real estate agents who can get "the whole house" easily at the 20mm setting and amateur enthusiasts taking pictures of large groups at work or school.
Its intelligent auto mode is actually pretty sharp, picking the appropriate mode (portrait, landscape, night time portrait, low light, etc.).
It's not an upgrade from the FZ200. It's an upgrade from the FZ60. However, for less than 400 bucks in the US, I think it's a good deal.
If you are a photographic perfectionist, a so-called "pixel peeper", don't get this camera. Spend the money and get a DSLR with a good lens or two. It will probably cost you well over $1,000. It will not give you the reach you have with this camera.
This camera is like a decent decathlete - it can do lots of things pretty well, but it won't match the "specialists" in their strengths.
I like this camera and recommend it. However, if you are happy with "just" 25-600mm and can spend $150 to $200 more, consider the FZ200. It's the gold medalist for "decathlete" cameras.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 20, 2014 12:29 PM PDT

Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200 12.1 MP Digital Camera with CMOS Sensor and 24x Optical Zoom - Black
Price: $397.00
81 used & new from $274.77

5.0 out of 5 stars Good for the sports enthusiast on a budget, April 25, 2013
Although I have had the camera for month, I have not had the time to explore all of this camera's features. Nevertheless, several things stand out. The most outstanding feature of the FZ200 is the constant f/2.8 maximum aperture throughout the entire zoom range. I like to take pictures of sporting events including MLB (baseball). Almost all the games are in the evening under the lights. The week before last, I was able to get shutter speeds of about 1/300 of a second at ISO 400. With my previous superzooms (among them, the Nikon P510), I couldn't get faster than 1/100 of a second even at ISO 800, which results in blurred action shots. The second thing I noticed about this camera is its build quality. It's very solid - it feels durable. Others plusses of the FZ200 include fast focusing, intelligent AUTO HDR, and fast continuous burst modes.
If you are taking shots of stationary subjects or mostly daytime shots, maybe the longer zoomed rivals, like the P510/520, Fuji HS50EXR or Sony HX200v or HX300v will be suitable with their longer zoom ranges. However, I don't regret having gotten the FZ200 and the image quality at ISOs 400 and below is outstanding.

Page: 1 | 2