Profile for Joseph E. Sneed III > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Joseph E. Sneed III RSS Feed (Alabama)

Happyhome® 1080P LED Protable Projector HD PC AV TV VGA USB HDMI(Black)
Happyhome® 1080P LED Protable Projector HD PC AV TV VGA USB HDMI(Black)
Offered by AomeTech
Price: $68.00

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly designed and poorly built., June 30, 2014
This project is poorly designed. The IR port for the remote is on the back of the projector so if you place it on a shelf to project across a small room the IR port can’t see the remote. Additionally, there is only a very limited angle through which the projector can see the remote.
The interface is not intuitive. The plastic is very cheap as are all of the buttons. The display is pixelated even when the projected image isn’t very big. The 1080P in the name has nothing to do with the resolution.

The unit that I received had a physically weak power connection. You have to lift up on the power cord coming into the projector or it won’t turn on and the seller has, so far, refused to take it back. Do not buy this projector.

Toshiba Thrive Portfolio Case for 10 - Inch Tablet (PA3945U-1EAB)
Toshiba Thrive Portfolio Case for 10 - Inch Tablet (PA3945U-1EAB)
Offered by Go Deals
Price: $6.88
31 used & new from $2.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Good protection, a bit bulky, blocks port door., November 23, 2011
I would agree with some who say that this case is a little bulky but that helps protect my Thrive which is why I bought it in the first place. It functions well as a stand, which it wouldn't if it were less bulky. The only real problem I have with it is that there is one strap that blocks the USB/HDMI port cover. Had this strap been moved a quarter of an inch this wouldn't be a problem.

I would like to have seen an pocket on the outside of the flip cover that you could slide a piece of paper or two into but you can't consider that a flaw in the existing case.

Marvel Super Hero Squad The Infinity Gauntlet - Xbox 360
Marvel Super Hero Squad The Infinity Gauntlet - Xbox 360
Offered by FRONTIER HOBBY SHOP
Price: $24.27
20 used & new from $13.88

2.0 out of 5 stars An honest review, October 13, 2011
= Fun:2.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this game for my 5 year old. We both love Marvel super heros. This game is nothing like Legos Star Wars and Lego Batman. Those games are great and very entertaining. Almost every section is like a puzzle and there are lots of different ways to play. This game, in contrast, is not very entertaining, very difficult at some levels and you win by simply pounding on your oppoents. We do not recommend this game for anyone.

Epson Stylus Photo R800 Inkjet Printer
Epson Stylus Photo R800 Inkjet Printer
3 used & new from $299.99

1.0 out of 5 stars The most expensive printer you will ever own., September 8, 2009
Most manufacturers sell you a printer cheap and then they gig you on the ink cartridges. Epson charges you a lot for a printer that only does a fair job of printing photos then they raise the ink gigging to a high art form. It not only goes through ink like water goes over Niagara but heaven forbid the heads need cleaning or the jets get clogged. They will tell you to run the head cleaning routine at least three times, which uses up a ton of your expensive ink. Then if that doesn't work they tell you to put in new cartridges and do it three more times. Only then, after you have gone through enough ink to buy a new printer, do they tell you to get it serviced.

Do yourself a huge favor and buy a different printer. We have a HP PhotoSmart 2710 that does a much better job printing photos, does a good job scanning photos, is wireless, reasonable with ink and does a whole lot more besides.

HP 33S Scientific Calculator (F2216A)
HP 33S Scientific Calculator (F2216A)
15 used & new from $55.10

2.0 out of 5 stars Devoted to HP no longer., October 6, 2005
Twenty years ago when I was an engineering student everyone had an HP and for good reason. They were more expensive but they were quality. Now they are expensive junk. I have a couple of old HP calculators that work great. However, I'm finally reviewing for the PE and am being forced to choose from a limited number of calculators to use on the test.

Since HP is still the only calculator with RPN and based on my past experience there was no other choice for me but HP. The younger students in the class tried to persuade me to buy the cheaper Casio but I wouldn't listen.

What's important in a calculator: 1) User interface and 2) capability. The 33s fails on both points. With respect to the user interface, the un-readable decimal point is now famous and the key pad is terrible. The keys will click even when nothing has been entered into the calculator. You can't rely on touch. You have to keep a close eye on your display or you'll end up having to enter everything again.

With respect to capability HP left out things as fundamental to a scientist/engineer as a polynomial root finder or the ability to square a complex number. I'm guessing that this was a marketing decision. I suspect that if you get a version with a special engineering package it will have some of these capabilities but I'm not going to spend $175 to find out. Besides, I've already given HP the last dime of mine that they will ever see.

Microsoft Money 2006 Standard [OLD VERSION]
Microsoft Money 2006 Standard [OLD VERSION]
2 used & new from $40.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs some obvious improvements, August 17, 2005
Microsoft went with an interface that looks more Web-like than Windows-like. I think I would have preferred a Windows look and feel but I think I'll be able to get used to it.

I was able to down-load data from my credit union and AMEX card quickly and easily. That is very cool. If it were not for this labor saving feature I never would have bought the software.

Now for the bad news: Once you download all the data you have to assign it to a category. There is nothing wrong with that but Microsoft could have made it easier. For instance, I buy a lot of gas from the same place and I charge it to my AMEX. It would be really nice if I could tell Money, "When you see a charge from this place add it to this category". According to Microsoft's press package there is an "Auto-Categorization" function but it doesn't appear to be customizable and it didn't work for the vast majority of my transactions. If there is a way to customize it I haven't discovered it yet but I've only used the software a couple of nights.

On the other hand, I spent a good bit of time looking around the on-line help with no success. I realize that Microsoft doesn't like to ship manuals with their software and I really don't have a problem with that as long as I can buy a book or there are good on-line resources. The only book that I've seen that covers Money 2006 is for dummies. Not being a dummy, I don't buy those. As far as I can tell Microsoft Press doesn't even have one. That's weak.

The on-line resource doesn't even have a search option and the index is pretty thin. Actually, the on-line manual seems pretty thin. Or perhaps it is the software that lacks depth.

Another problem is when you download bank account and credit card information. If you have $1,000 in credit card charges and you pay off your credit card with a $1,000 check then you end up with all the credit card charges plus the check so it looks as if you have $2,000 in expenses. That wouldn't be a problem if I could tell Money not to put the credit card charge in any category but if you don't assign it then you have to keep $1,000 balance of un-categorized charges which is messy. There should be some way to handle that.

Microsoft has spent their time getting partners tied into their software (like institutions that want to set you up with a mortgage) when they should have spent their time writing code and/or improving their documentation. For a program that has been around for over a decade, it has some very obvious short comings. You almost get the impression that Microsoft's priority is not to produce a useful piece of software but rather to get their tentacles into your finances.

Professional VB.NET, 2nd Edition
Professional VB.NET, 2nd Edition
by Jonathan Pinnock
53 used & new from $0.37

1.0 out of 5 stars Neither a good learning tool nor a good reference., July 22, 2005
This book has disappointed me one too many times so I'm going to finally write the review I've been wanting to. I keep trying to use this book and it keeps leaving me short. Sometimes in the examples the author tells you to do something obscure but then he doesn't tell you how to do it. The coverage lacks depth and detail.

I am an experienced VB programmer but I got this book to help me convert to .Net. It has been a big disappointment. Some of the topics I needed help with were not covered. Most of the ones that were covered were sketchy.

Fortunately, I picked up a Special Edition of "Using Visual Basic .Net" from Que which typically saves my bacon.

Visual Basic Game Programming with DirectX (Premier Press Game Development (Software))
by Jonathan S. Harbour
55 used & new from $0.60

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs to be updated to VB .Net, March 11, 2005
This book was written about the time VB .Net was coming out and the author even mentions that he considered writing some of the code in .Net. I bought the book, realizing it was dated, thinking that it would be a good learning experience to convert the examples to VB .Net. Of course, it's proving to be very frustrating.

This is a good book and well written and if you are determined to stick with VB6 and want to learn game programming. However, if you're moving on to .Net I would suggest looking for a different title. (If you find a good one let me know.)

I really wish they would publish a new edition with re-written examples. That would be ideal.