Profile for Diana Kern > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 8

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Diana Kern RSS Feed (austin, tx)

Bench Dog 10-012 Miter Slot Adapter
Bench Dog 10-012 Miter Slot Adapter
Price: $15.02
4 used & new from $11.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Bench dog mitre slot adapter, October 4, 2013
Fits perfectly in my new Bosch router table.
Got it fast. It fits my Porter Cable table saw also.
Good match up.
Thanks so much.
Carol Johnson

Brave Girl Eating: A Family's Struggle with Anorexia
Brave Girl Eating: A Family's Struggle with Anorexia
by Harriet Brown
33 used & new from $2.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, April 18, 2013
Best book I have ever read on recovery for anorexia. No one can recover alone from this illness. I'm glad that the author classifies it as a mental illness and explains that the ill person is not in denial, rather it's the disordered brain that affects one's perception of self.

Journeys of Heartache and Grace: Conversations and Life Lessons From Young People With Serious Illnesses
by Melody Chatelle
Price: $16.95
41 used & new from $3.14

5.0 out of 5 stars a book for everyone!, November 3, 2008
This is a wonderful book for literally everyone. For me, making connections with human beings are fundamental to health and happiness in this life. Melody generously shares how to better connect and communicate with children, family members, treatment providers, friends...everyone.

As adults, we often think we only learn from the "old" and the "wise". Not true! The young children and teens interviewed in her book say it like it is--for them. Each person with a terminal illness and their family member's can teach you something about life in the face of death.

This book inspired me to remember: do what you love and love what you do AND be kind, be kind, be kind.

Share this book with physicians, nurses, etc. and teach them that LISTENING GENEROUSLY is key to healing, no matter what the outcome is.

The Center Cannot Hold: My Journey Through Madness
The Center Cannot Hold: My Journey Through Madness
by Elyn R. Saks
Price: $9.28
104 used & new from $4.49

1.0 out of 5 stars the center CAN hold, November 2, 2008
I struggled through this book. Surely Elyn would quit having so many psychotic symptoms; surely her meds would stop her symptoms; certainly she would realize that seeing an analyst was not helping with her symptoms. About two-thirds of the way through, I put it down thinking I would return it to its owner.

However, a month later when I read some positive book reviews, I picked it back up hoping to read that she was free of psychotic symptoms. Instead, she continues to live inside her illness and hold onto her symptoms.

As a person with a psychotic disorder, I know that recovery from these painful symptoms is possible. And it isn't just the meds that help one recover. The fundamental change in how I perceived and reacted to my world came from changing my thinking.

Recovery is personal to everyone and obviously Elyn's idea of recovery is to continue living with her horrible symptoms and maintain the capacity to live a productive life. For me, I choose to find alternative ways to heal that include positive expectations for myself and the world around me.

Elyn, the center CAN hold; the center DOES hold. It's all we have.

If you are a family member of a person with a psychotic disorder and you want your loved one to suffer the rest of their life, then send them to a psychoanalyst. If you truly want happiness, freedom, independence and all the wonderful things life has to offer for your family member, then read Jill Bolte Taylor's, My Stroke of Insight. "Peace is just a thought away."
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 22, 2015 4:42 PM PST

The Secret
The Secret
29 used & new from $0.24

5.0 out of 5 stars We have choices!, March 2, 2007
This review is from: The Secret (DVD)
This film will remind you that you have choices in life. You can either continue to think negatively and bring doom and gloom and negative people into your life or you can change your thinking and be the happy productive person you were meant to be. For me, I am learning to accept responsibility for my life and it has made all the difference. I choose to no longer be a victim of my circumstances.

Adventures in Prayer: Praying Your Way to a God You Can Trust
Adventures in Prayer: Praying Your Way to a God You Can Trust
by Sharon Connors
Price: $16.22
68 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Adventure, January 15, 2007
Adventures in Prayer has been a helpful tool for me as I consciously change my prayer life from a inconsistent lazy one to a rewarding and powerful prayer life. Sharon Connors writes well and speaks to anyone and everyone interested in prayer. Because her writing style is so natural and she gives such practical advice, this book can reach people on all levels in thier prayer journey. I love her practices, affimations and prayers in each chapter. I am now on my third reading of this book. It is so rich with information that I continue to consult several chapters. Because of this book, I am beginning a prayer circle at my church!

Crazy: A Father's Search Through America's Mental Health Madness
Crazy: A Father's Search Through America's Mental Health Madness
by Pete Earley
70 used & new from $0.55

5.0 out of 5 stars A Wonderful Advocacy Tool for NAMI Members, May 30, 2006
In the book, "Crazy: A Father's Search through America's Mental Health Madness," Pete Earley tells a story that is all too familiar to NAMI members. As an award-winning journalist for over thirty years, Mr. Earley has effectively captured the absurdities of the mental health system in our country through his investigative journalism and his personal understanding of mental illness.

Mr. Earley's son, Mike, has a psychotic episode while in college and breaks into a stranger's home, takes a bubble bath and causes significant damage. Thus begins their long journey into the broken mental health system that so many of us confront everyday in this country. Mr. Earley learns all too quickly just how difficult it is to receive necessary treatment for his son's mental illness. He uses his frustration to launch a personal and professional inquiry into a confusing mental health system coupled with an irrational criminal justice system.

Mr. Earley is granted full access to the Miami-Dade County Jail's "forgotten floor"--the jail's primary psychiatric unit where prisoners are housed without treatment. He can see firsthand that, indeed, our jails and prisons have become the repository for persons with serious mental illness. The prisoners have committed both felonies and petty misdemeanors, all because of their untreated brain disorder. Yet there is no chance at rehabilitation in jails. The prisoners linger in their psychoses for months at a time, only to await a bus ride to a psychiatric facility where they receive minimal treatment in order to have a competency hearing and then are brought back to the jail to await a hearing that will probably never happen.

"Crazy" is a book that NAMI members can use as an advocacy tool to improve mental health care in their communities. When jails become a part of the continuum of care for persons with a serious mental illness, we must speak up and demand change.

Mr. Earley provides the history of deinstitutionalization and the changes in America's civil rights laws to give us a full perspective on why our mental health system is broken. As mental health advocates, it is important for us to know why our mental health system is so shattered. Knowing the history of mental health laws can teach us, not only why consumers cannot receive appropriate treatment for their mental illness, but also provide us with the information necessary to become effective advocates.

In the eight years that I have been involved with NAMI, I continually see how difficult it is for us to educate the uneducated about mental illness. As a person who has lived with schizoaffective disorder for over 20 years, I have a personal understanding of stigma. It is natural for me to talk about mental illness with my NAMI family. I am comfortable because I know that they understand and that I am not judged. It is quite another story to discuss my mental illness and subsequent suffering with those who are not aware of the unique issues that we confront on a daily basis. Yet, if we want positive changes in our mental health delivery system, we must be the ones to speak up and tell our stories. Yes, it can be difficult and often scary to disclose our personal experiences with mental illness. There is always that threat of stigma. This is why it is important to band together as NAMI advocates and show our force in numbers.

Mike Earley gave his father permission to use his name and his experiences in "Crazy" with the hope that his story would help someone else. This was a very brave step and I hope that it aids in Mike's recovery. I know that telling my story, my trials with my illness, the treatment that I did or did not receive, my endless search for the right medications, my experiences with mental health deputies (now known as CIT's) and all my entrances and exits into and out of mental hospitals, has been an integral part of the success of my recovery. I am a mental health advocate because I want others with a serious mental illness to have what I have now. I want consumers to know that they matter in this big world and with treatment they can live a fulfilling and meaningful life. I want consumers and their families to know that there is hope.

Mr. Earley concludes the book with a chapter titled, "Solutions". He stresses the necessity of CIT training in every community. CIT saves lives and changes attitudes. He asks us to rethink the closings of the state mental hospitals through his explanation of unintended consequences in the civil rights laws of persons with mental illness. He also asks us to reexamine commitment laws. "Eighty percent of persons with mental illness can be helped with antipsychotic medication, yet civil rights laws are used daily to prevent patients from getting help."

As a person with a serious psychotic disorder, I am glad that medication was forced on me and saved my life and continues to fix my broken brain.

Diana Kern

NAMI Texas
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 10, 2012 8:19 AM PDT

The Quiet Room: A Journey Out of the Torment of Madness
The Quiet Room: A Journey Out of the Torment of Madness
by Amanda Bennett
Price: $12.04
141 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars perfect insight into mental illness from every angle, March 26, 2000
when i first heard about this book several years ago, i could not wait to get my hands on it. the story attracted me as it is my own story. and i was not to be disappointed. never before had i read a book that so expressively described my own illness. since it first came out, i have read it many times. this book is honest and direct and tells our story as it needs to be heard, for lori gives the true and painful portrayal of how a psychotic brain manifests itself through behavior. i was glad that she told so forthrightly of her experiences in the hospital. it is because of such honesty that people like us can learn to tell our own stories and demystify society's understanding of mental illness, particularly schizophrenia. through this telling the unfair stigma that has been placed upon us is exonerated. i also liked that the people in her life told their stories as well, for an illness such as this affects all involved. i am grateful to lori and amanda for helping me to gain insight into my own illness and understand better what my family and those closest to me have endured and still endure. i highly recommend this book to anyone interested in gaining an honest understanding of mental illness and the impact on the individual and their loved ones.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 14, 2014 10:47 AM PDT