Profile for J Douglas Bottorff > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 14

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

J Douglas Bottorff RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2
Scrivener [Download]
Scrivener [Download]
Price: $40.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Love at First Sight, November 12, 2014
I am still learning this program, but I can say already that it is a superb piece of software. I'm working on my 5th book with it and I find that it allows me to write anywhere I need to in the project. In other words, If I get an idea for a section I plan to write about in a future part of the book, I can skip to that part and make my notes or thought starters without losing the idea. Then I can come back to the section I was working on, or skip to any other section I have created. The software seems to work like many of us think. We get ideas that we then develop. It's a little bit like clustering.

As I said, I still have much to learn about the program, but I'm already sold on it. I struggled with Dramatica Pro for a number of years. While that program and its philosophy have much to offer, I always felt like I was serving the software rather than the software serving me. The tail always seemed to be wagging the dog. Not so with Scrivener. This is truly software that serves the writer. And the product is priced at a level that makes a writer feel that somebody out there really does understand the writing process and they want to help. I look forward to learning all I can about this program, but so far, it's been one of those "love at first sight" experiences.

Whether you are producing fiction/nonfiction books, short stories, articles or just keeping a diary, I highly recommend Scrivener for writers at every level.

Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Journey into the Afterlife
Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon's Journey into the Afterlife
by Eben Alexander III M. D.
Price: $9.59
828 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars An Important Book, December 26, 2012
In terms of understanding the human being, near death research is, in my opinion, the most important scientific frontier that has opened in the last 30 years. There are literally thousands of accounts now on record detailing experiences of those who have momentarily "died" and lived to share what they saw, felt, came to know as true. While many of these stories contain imagery bordering the bizarre, they share many common elements.

Some will find Eben Alexander's story incredible, for it contains imagery unlike that found in other accounts. The thing that sets this book apart, however, is that this near-death experience is being reported by a scientist, a former skeptic, a neurosurgeon who had been in the habit of giving short shrift to patients who reported to him similar happenings while under his own knife.

It should be exceedingly difficult for anyone--believer or skeptic--to ignore this book, especially considering its source. The evidence is on the table, placed there by an extraordinarily credible, first-hand witness who understands completely the implications of the brain disease that triggered his experience. In addition, Dr. Alexander has an excellent grasp of the scientific community and the ramifications involved in sharing this story with his peers, which he does quite eloquently ... and without blinking.

The book lends a strong and credible voice to the NDE research effort. I commend Eben Alexander for his courage, his skill, and his commitment to sharing with others a message of life that can't help but inspire us all.

Rev. J Douglas Bottorff
author of Native Soul, Unlocking Your Life's Potential

1.0 out of 5 stars I won't buy another extended warranty, October 26, 2012
I bought the Kindle keyboard and the 2 year extended warranty. About a week before the warranty expired, the kindle began shutting down and restarting on its own. Thinking it might be a software upgrade issue, I checked for updates and there was one: from 3.3 to 3.4. The update failed. I have tried it well over a dozen times with the same result: the upgrade fails. I reported this problem and was brought into a series of "technical" advisers. Following all their advice to the letter, the problem remains. All the techs apologize profusely for the problem and promise to do everything possible to fix it. I wish they would, but so far they have not. All of their solutions end up with the same problem: the software will not update. There is obviously a glitch in my device.

I have not changed screen savers, rooted my device, or done any of the things they seem to think might be the problem. Having grown weary of their repeated suggestions, I requested a replacement of the device. Amazon is not anxious to consider this option. I would gladly send them my device and let them have at it. They are not suggesting this. They just keep asking me to do the same things over and over, none of which work.

I ordered the paperwhite version of the kindle, but I do not intend to purchase the extended warranty because it does not appear that Amazon will stand behind it. This isn't the right thing for Amazon or any company to do.When you buy a warranty, it should be good for the entire time, even down to the last minute.

Kindle Keyboard, Wi-Fi, 6" E Ink Display - includes Special Offers & Sponsored Screensavers
13 used & new from $65.98

1.0 out of 5 stars Do not buy the extended warranty, October 25, 2012
I bought the Kindle keyboard and the 2 year extended warranty. About a week before the warranty expired, the kindle began shutting down and restarting on its own. Thinking it might be a software upgrade issue, I checked for updates and there was one: from 3.3 to 3.4. The update failed. I have tried it at least a dozen times with the same result. I reported this problem and was brought into a series of technical advisers. Following all their advice to the letter, the problem remains. All the techs apologize for the problem and promise to do everything possible to fix it. I wish they would, but so far they have not. All of their solutions end up with the same problem: the software will not update. There is obviously a glitch in my device.

I have not changed screen savers, rooted my device, or done any of the things they seem to think might be the problem. Having grown weary of their repeated suggestions, I requested a replacement of the device. Amazon is not anxious to consider this option. I would gladly send them my device and let them have at it. They are not suggesting this. They just keep asking me to do the same things over and over.

5.0 out of 5 stars Inexpensive Insurance, March 30, 2012
I ordered one of these for myself and one for my wife. We have not yet tested them in rain but I can tell they will work.

The sizing chart is counter-intuitive. I am 6' tall, 155 lbs and a 34 inseam. I ordered the small, which fits well. The elastic band around the upper abdomen is a bit snug over my armored motorcycle jacket, but this is not an issue and I'm sure the elastic will relax with use. A size larger would be too big. My wife--medium height and slim--got the XS which leaves her plenty of room.

We ride in western Colorado where we get 9 inches of precipitation a year, so I see this rain suit as an inexpensive insurance policy to keep in the trunk. If you ride in an area that gets frequent rain, more money may buy you better insurance, but this suit offers good quality construction and is a very good value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Safe and Well Named, March 30, 2012
One reviewer warned that this device poses a safety hazard. I did not find this to be the case. I installed the Cramp Buster on the outside edge of my throttle as pictured on the package and I have no problem decelerating and applying the front brake. I ride a V-Strom DL650, and it's possible there are differences in bikes, but I'm perfectly comfortable leaving the device on at all times, highway and town.

I've not yet used the Cramp Buster on a long trip, but it arrived in the mail when I returned from a several-hour outing. I installed it and took the bike right back out for a highway and town test. It made a major difference.

Normally, when cramping sets in and you loosen your grip for relief, the throttle closes. With this device, you keep the throttle open with the heel of your hand while relaxing your grip. It's easy to see how using the device enables the options of a firm or looser grip, warding off the constant firm grip that produces cramping in the first place. The Cramp Buster is safe and well named.

LG Prime GS390 Unlocked Phone with Touchscreen and 2MP Camera - Unlocked Phone - US Warranty - Black/Silver
Offered by AllStar Electronics
Price: $69.99

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a Good Choice, January 17, 2012
I found this phone awkward to use. The touch screen is not very sensitive. When attempting to scroll through contacts, for example, it was not unusual to select an unwanted contact while trying to scroll.

In less than a year after, the screen developed severe lines, so much so that I could not read telephone number of incoming calls. I called the manufacturer and was taken through a series of steps to reset the phone. It was determined that the phone was defective and was covered by the warranty. However, I was asked for my credit card and told there would be a $60 processing fee for replacing the phone. This made no sense since you can buy a new one for nearly the same price. I pulled the sim card and purchased another phone. I would not recommend this one.

Consciousness Beyond Life: The Science of the Near-Death Experience
Consciousness Beyond Life: The Science of the Near-Death Experience
by Pim van Lommel
15 used & new from $6.59

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, December 25, 2011
For years I have felt that research into the near-death experience is among the most important in terms of understanding the spiritual aspect of the individual. While many spiritual approaches speculate on the existence of a spiritual dimension, a soul, this research presents consciousness, a non-brain dependent essence, as a stark reality.

All books on the NDE offer helpful insights and Pim van Lommel's presentation is among the best. It is impressive that a cardiologist, a seasoned scientist, speaks a language quite familiar to those in my own profession as clergy. Though some of what he presents is scientifically over my head, he offers much to any who are open-minded enough to grasp the importance of this research.

The evidence of the NDE is undeniable. Those in the scientific and religious fields who continue to deny it apparently do so based more on prejudice and predispositions that simply will not allow them to listen to those who have a sincere need and desire to share an experience for which we have no language. I myself have had the privilege of listening to people attempt to describe the beauty, freedom and all-encompassing love they experienced in the momentary death of their physical bodies. None have had a thing to gain by sharing, yet they wanted to talk to someone about the single event that left them forever changed.

Thank God we have researchers like Dr. van Lommel who are willing to listen and to learn and who have the knowledge and expertise to give us perspective and understanding in this developing field that is lifting a bit higher the veil that cloaks in mystery what it truly means to be human.

Rev. J Douglas Bottorff, author of Native Soul, Unlocking Your Life's Potential

My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey
by Jill Bolte Taylor
59 used & new from $0.89

2.0 out of 5 stars Remarkably Unremarkable, December 15, 2011
Jill Bolte Taylor's account into her own experience with stroke is remarkable in terms of her recovery. For those who have been touched by the experience of stroke, there is much in the way of inspiration and example as to the level of courage and attitude required to make a comeback from such a potentially debilitating experience.

What is unremarkable about the book is that Taylor uses the experience to attempt to confirm the scientific bias of her discipline: namely, that consciousness is a function of the brain. Though this unproven theory goes unquestioned among the majority of the scientific community, a single instance of a brain-dead individual demonstrating both awareness and memory topples this house of cards. Nothing of the research into the Near-Death Experience is mentioned in Taylor's account. This field of study is completely ignored. To the average reader, the classical, materialistically-based rendition of reality remains unchallenged.

For example, Taylor attributes inner peace to a location in the right hemisphere of the brain: "Based upon my experience with losing my left mind, I wholeheartedly believe that the feeling of deep inner peace is neurological circuitry located in our right brain. This circuitry is constantly running and always available for us to hook into."

Without actually saying it, she suggests that the condition the Buddhist describes as Nirvana is little more than the switching on of a specific area of the right brain's neurological circuitry. That certain centers of the brain are switched on and even changed through practices such as meditation (a phenomenon known as neuroplasticity) is well known. As cardiologist Dr. Pim Van Lommel points out in his book, Consciousness Beyond Life, "A conscious experience can be the result of brain activity, but a brain activity can also be the result of consciousness." For a brain scientist to conclude that the experience of higher states of awareness are found in physical locations of the brain simply indicates this scientist's materialistic predisposition and her obvious unfamiliarity with the mystical traditions of the world.

The brain indeed is a marvelous instrument, but it does not come close to equaling the marvels of the consciousness that uses this three pound marvel to interface with the material world. Perhaps if Taylor's stroke had been accompanied by an NDE, it would have changed her in a way that would actually add to our understanding of the brain/consciousness interaction. As it stands, her presentation simply supports the hypothesized treatment of consciousness as a mere byproduct of the brain, an unproven and increasingly challenged assumption that is still championed by many in her field.

I would recommend Taylor's book only on the basis of reaching a better understanding of the needs of a stroke victim. Her running commentary on what constitutes the human being and her frequent ventures into spiritual subjects create an inconsistent patchwork of ideas that I found quite distracting--thus two rather than five stars.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 28, 2011 5:51 AM PST

HP TouchPad Wireless Keyboard
HP TouchPad Wireless Keyboard
Offered by RunSkipShop
Price: $40.19
36 used & new from $19.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential, July 29, 2011
I used the HP Touchpad for about a week before deciding I needed this keyboard. The onscreen keypad works if you like to hunt and peck, which I don't. It may be more appealing to the texting generation. The keyboard is small but the keys are large and easy to use. Keys F and J provide the little bump to keep your index fingers from straying. Construction feels solid. The wireless aspect is very freeing. I am a writer. With the right apps, I could see the tablet and keyboard easily replacing my netbook. If you own the HP Touchpad, this keyboard is a "must have" if you're typewriter trained.
J Douglas Bottorff, Author of Native Soul, Unlocking Your Life's Potential