Profile for Westley > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 929

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Westley RSS Feed (Stuck in my head)
(VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Filofax 2015 A5 Organizer, The Original Retro Navy (C022385-15)
Filofax 2015 A5 Organizer, The Original Retro Navy (C022385-15)
Price: $98.89
2 used & new from $89.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Filofax is the best planner!, January 7, 2015
I love Filofax planners and currently have four of them. I would love to purchase more, but they are a bit pricey (although they hold up so well and are worth the price). The first Original Filofax I purchased was in brown, and I liked it; however, I have absolutely fallen in love with the Original in navy -- it is really gorgeous. The planner is made of leather, and this one is not really reinforced, so it a tad 'floppy.' The simple closure is a piece of leather with a clasp that snaps shut. The left-hand front panel includes a pen holder made of stretchy material, along with a wide band than can be used to hold additional pens, a small notebook, or other materials. There is also a flap that is about 3 inches deep for envelopes and other papers (e.g., checkbook), into which two credit card holders have been cut. The flyleaf is made of thin plastic and does crack after some use (I've had mine for about 1 year), but it can be replaced inexpensively. The back cover includes a flap that is about 2 inches deep; a slot at the top holds a narrow unlined notebook (3 inches wide by 8 inches long) that is included.

The rings are about an inch in diameter, so this Filofax holds plenty of papers. A variety of inserts are available for the A5, but it comes with everything you need to start your planner, including a week on two pages calendar and sundry other sheets and dividers. For me, the fun of Filofax is personalizing your inserts, and it has taken me a few years to figure out the exact right balance of inserts that I need. It's a lovely planner, and I particularly love the navy blue leather. Filofaxes are high quality and meant to last.

The Newport Harbor Murders Revisited: The criminal justice system found guilty
The Newport Harbor Murders Revisited: The criminal justice system found guilty
by Brooks W Wilson
Price: $9.00
18 used & new from $6.31

3.0 out of 5 stars Salacious murder in California, January 7, 2015
The murder of the Overalls (Walter & Beulah) was a huge news story in 1947, and it became a scandal when their daughter (Louise) and her boyfriend/fiance (George 'Bud' Gollum) were charged with the crime. The Overalls were allegedly killed in their yacht (The Mary E), which was then dynamited to cover up the crime. The story made Time Magazine once the salacious love letters sent in jail between Louise and Bud were made public (the letters are included here in both their edited and unedited forms). This case really had everything! Yet today, this murder has been largely forgotten. So I was pleased when I came across this book, which I hoped would shed some light on the case and what happened.

I do give the author major credit for his work in scouring the records and presenting the material here. He obviously put a great deal of effort into reading the available records. However, a few problems in the writing really affect the impact of this book. First, the author is extremely repetitive at times. We hear the same facts over and over again. This problem is a particular issue because the author does not tell this story in a linear manner, so we keep flashing back to the same events and hearing the same facts. There also is a fair amount of sloppy and confusing writing, which drags down the reading experience. Thankfully, it is a quick read.

The final problem is that aside from the records, the author did not have access to any other materials, such as being able to interview the families of the people involved (of course, most of them would be dead today). He therefore makes up numerous conversations and events, and it becomes difficult to deduce whether these are based on fact. For example, he claims that Louise developed severe sleep problems because she kept having flashbacks to the murderers. No source is provided, so I assume that was his deduction, as Louise never confessed to having witnessed the crime. Overall, the book is worth a read if you have any interest in this case. However, the book could have used a very thorough edit.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 18, 2015 12:32 PM PST

Digital TherMOMeter for Oral, Rectal and Underarm - Dishwasher Safe - Accurate and Fast Read with Large Display and Feverglow(tm) For the Whole Family - Babies, Children and Kids, Adults, Seniors.
Offered by Info Solutions Fuzion
Price: $26.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy to use, December 30, 2014
This thermometer could not be easier to use. The clear directions show one how to use it orally, under the arm, or rectally. I have used it orally, and it works quickly -- just push the 'on' button, place the thermometer under your tongue, and it beeps when finished. I also tested it under the arm, and that worked quickly as well. The thermometer washes off easily and also comes with 5 non-reusable sleeves. I also appreciate that it fits into a plastic cover, so that you can store it in the bathroom or other places and not worry about it getting dirty.

Tools4Wisdom 2015 Monthly Planner ✚ Calendar ✚ Yearly Monthly Goals Planning
Tools4Wisdom 2015 Monthly Planner ✚ Calendar ✚ Yearly Monthly Goals Planning
Offered by Tools4Wisdom
Price: $22.97

4.0 out of 5 stars Useful, goal-oriented calendar, December 22, 2014
I am a paper planner addict, and I am always looking for planners that are different in some way to help keep me organized. Thus, I was very pleased to be contacted by this company, who offered me this planner in exchange for a review. One of the things I love to use planners for is keeping track of my To Do's. However, most planners are useful only for keeping track of small-term items -- things that need to be done on a specific day or week. The larger, over-arching goals get lost and are shuffled to the end of my To Do list -- never to see the light of day.

The major strength of this planner is that it is focused on your goals. The first section ("Goals") consists of 18 pages that help you set your agenda and goals for the year. The planner includes helpful sub-categories, such as "innovation," "health - body," "health - mind & soul," "family & loved ones," "growth," "career/business," and "finance." The planner walks you through the process of setting your goals; for example, it prompts the user to include measurable action items. It also has a section allowing you to prioritize the goals (top, medium, and optional). I look forward to sitting down and going through my goals for January 1st and establishing what I want to accomplish this year.

The planner itself includes four pages for each month. Page 1 is the Priorities Masterlist that encourages the user to set their priorities for the month. Page 2 focuses on the Essential Goals, which includes breaking down the goals into objectives. Pages 3 and 4 give the month overview, with room on each date for notes and so forth. The set-up really encourages the user to be specific in identifying goals that are doable and achievable. The final section is the "Notes Journal." It includes 10 pages with two columns -- one for "Notes & Reflections" and another for "Actions." These pages could be used throughout the year in whatever way you decide.

The planner itself is nicely made. The paper is relatively thick, such that my favorite gel pens did not bleed through or have much show through. It is rather utilitarian in design; that is, everything is printed in black and gray with no decorations or anything to make it fancy or pretty. Some planner users like to decorate, and there is some room here for washi tape, stickers, and so forth. It is spiral bound, and I was pleased that the spiral is made of plastic (I hate wire spiral bound notebooks) and seems sturdy. The cover is rather plain, with the title "GOALS CALENDAR" and "2015" written across the top with an abstract pattern of different hues of blue covering the rest of the page. A sheet of plastic protects the front and back covers, which is a very helpful addition. Although very useful, the notebook is a tiny bit drab. Also, there is no bookmark included, so I will have to use some tabs I already have.

I look forward to using this planner and seeing how it helps me achieve my goals. If the planner was a little more lively and included a bookmark, then I would give it 5 stars. However, overall I think it's a terrific, useful planner for a reasonable price.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 24, 2014 3:07 PM PST

Rotating Tie Rack/Belt Hanger, Holds 20 Items, Tidy Closet Organizer, 2 Pack
Rotating Tie Rack/Belt Hanger, Holds 20 Items, Tidy Closet Organizer, 2 Pack
Offered by M M Electronics
Price: $6.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A circle of ties, December 5, 2014
I've had a number of tie racks that had to be screwed into the closet wall, so I was excited to receive this very different organizer (which I received in exchange for this review). The rotating tie rack organizer by couldn't be simpler to use - simply push the hanger head into the axial arm piece and then hang it on a closet rod. It holds 20 ties comfortably and is very compact. You could also use it to hold belts or any similar item (e.g., scarves). Each arm has has a slight upturn at the end that helps keep the tie secure. The arms are made of molded plastic and do have a slight protrusion, so I'd advise being careful when adding ties to the organizer, as they could snag if made of a very lightweight material. Otherwise, this simple product is useful and recommended.

Scented, Natural Soy Wax Candles. Burns Clean, Even, and True-To-Scent for Hours. Perfect as a gift, or for your own home. Hand-poured in the USA. "NEW BORN BABY" themed gift set of 3 different 2 ounce candles. Includes Baby Powder, First Blanket, Baby Shampoo.
Offered by Red Rover Naturals
Price: $25.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful candles, December 1, 2014
I received the Winter Wonderland package of candles in exchange for a review, and I am extremely pleased with them. The set comes with three different scents: hot cocoa, roasted chestnut, and first snow. I received them around Thanksgiving, and I live in a cold, snowy state, so I have really enjoyed these blissful winter scents. My favorite is the hot cocoa, which has a rich, deep chocolaty aroma. The candle makes me crave cocoa just from smelling it! The roasted chestnut has a nice woodsy, smoky scent -- a bit like pine needles perhaps but not as strong. Finally, the "first snow" smells crisp and clean -- maybe a bit citrusy. The candles burn clean and clear, and I love that they are made from natural soy wax. The candles come packaged in a nice box and would make a perfect holiday gift for candle lovers. Most highly recommended.

Futurama Bender Bendable Key Chain
Futurama Bender Bendable Key Chain

5.0 out of 5 stars Bendy Bender, November 23, 2014
I absolutely love "Futurama," so I was thrilled to find this Bender keychain. Bender has flexible legs and arms, so you can pose him in various ways. He can point to his read and you can pretend that he is saying, "Bite my shiny metal butt." I also am extremely impressed by the product's durability. I have carried it in my pocket for the 3 1/2 years, and it has shown no wear and tear -- no flaking color, no nicks. It's in near perfect shape.

Get The Hint - Loud and Clear
Get The Hint - Loud and Clear
Offered by Find-me-a-gift UK
Price: $5.00
4 used & new from $4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Cute novelty flags, November 23, 2014
I have a co-worker who loves to quote the Sopranos and gangster movies, so he's constantly cursing. This set of novelty flags was a perfect gift for him and elicited quite a few chuckles. It's nice to inject a bit of humor into the workplace, although one certainly needs to be cautious as some people are likely to take offense.

Kennedy Home Collections Bubble Spray Bottle - Color May Vary
Kennedy Home Collections Bubble Spray Bottle - Color May Vary

4.0 out of 5 stars Small-sized spray bottle -- fine for most purposes., November 23, 2014
I like to keep a spray bottle in my office so that I can clean up small messes that occur. The Kennedy Home Collections Bubble Spray Bottle is fine for my needs. It's relatively small, so it fits easily on a shelf or in a drawer. The spray mechanism works well, even after using it for a couple of years. My only tiny quibble is that, although the page does say "color may vary," my spray bottle was in the one color I absolutely cannot stand -- pink. Oh well, it's not as though I'm using it for decoration.

Las Vegas Style Casino Played Cards - Assorted Colors and Styles (1 Pack)
Las Vegas Style Casino Played Cards - Assorted Colors and Styles (1 Pack)
Offered by Kandycares
Price: $4.00
19 used & new from $0.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Reno Style, actually., November 20, 2014
I purchased these "Las Vegas Style" cards because I am from Vegas. I was disappointed when I received them, as they were actually from a Reno casino. I guess the emphasis should be placed on "style." On the other hand, they are nice cards that have been pre-used in a casino.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20