Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Beauty V-Day Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Prime Exclusive Savings in Video Games Shop Now SnS
Profile for Bill Cashell > Reviews

Browse

Bill Cashell's Profile

Customer Reviews: 259
Top Reviewer Ranking: 684

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Bill Cashell "Author of The Emotional Diet" RSS Feed (Omaha, Nebraska)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Sentey Headphones with Microphone Audiophile Headset Metal Band for Travel Work Gaming Running Sport Transport Carrying Case Included Over the Ear Cups Rotation Volume Control Musician Ls-4430 Thorx
Offered by Sentey
Price: $79.99
2 used & new from $31.99

5.0 out of 5 stars High Quality, Comfortable and Great Sound, February 6, 2016
I am not an expert at measuring sound quality, and my hearing is not quite as good as it used to be. I do quite a bit of traveling, and love to listen to books on tape and listen to videos as I watch them on my tablet. In looking for headphones I was mainly looking for something to use with in areas that could be a bit noisy, such as airplanes and places with a lot of people. I wanted something over the ear to block out sounds, and some kind of removable cable because it keeps from getting tangled in my travel bag. These fit the bill perfectly for me. For the price I'm very impressed.

First impressions are lasting, and the quality of the box is an indicator of what is to come. It also makes me think of this as an excellent gift choice. The headphones themselves have the same kind of quality with a very nice metal band, good looking hardware, and comfortable material. The removable cable is a flat, no tangle cable that is very flexible. It is high quality and feels like it will last through have use.

The headphones fit snugly, and the ear cups are nice and soft and seal well on my ears. This is just what I was looking for. The sound quality was perfectly. Watching a movie on my tablet gave a great range and exceptionally quality. They especially sounded good on the music, and the voices were especially clear.

Overall I think these are hard to beat, especially for the price. If you are looking for high quality over the ear head phones with removable cord and a reasonable price, these are hard to match. A discounted/complimentary sample was provided for a candid and honest review. I have no financial or personal connection with the manufacturer, seller or their employees. I would recommend these to a friend and will consider purchasing more as gifts.

Oil Filter Wrench - Best Adjustable Removal Tool - Fits ⅜ And ½ Inch Drive Heavy Duty Strong Grip & Includes Adapter - Auto Adjusting 3 Arm Design
Offered by Silver Tree International
Price: $21.97

5.0 out of 5 stars What a Surprise - It Really Works for all of my filters., February 3, 2016
Length:: 1:01 Mins

I like gadgets, but I am normally leery of anything that is a "one size fits all". In this case, it really does. I have a Toyota, Honda, Corvette and Ford van. This handy wrench will fit them all. My Honda has a small filter and I have to use large channel locks to remove it. I don't have a wrench small enough to fit it. This actually will grab the small filter. For my Toyota, I have a wrench that fits over the end of the filter, and it can tend to slip a bit unless I get it on really tight. This wrench turns until it is tight and then it grips and the filter is out.

The wrench is high quality and heavy duty. I was not expecting it to work this well, and I am pleasantly surprised. A discounted/complimentary sample was provided for a candid and honest review. I have no financial or personal connection with the manufacturer, seller or their employees.

TV Antenna,Amplified HDTV Antenna-BACRON Ultra Thin indoor Tv Antenna Builtin Amplifier Signal Booster for UHF VHF,16.5ft Coax Cable indoor hdtv antenna-50 Mile Range(Black/White)
Offered by Bacron US
Price: $49.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Picture Quality for HD, February 3, 2016
I have 2 televisions that are not hooked up to cable. One is in my below-ground basement and the other was just moved to our sun room. I had a similar antenna in my basement from Amazon Basics, and it did a reasonable job. Because of the location, it would not receive all of the available broadcast channels.

I tried this one in my basement to compare to the Amazon Basics antenna. It is larger than the Amazon model, and does have the advantage of being powered. It was able to pick up stations in my basement the the Amazon antenna would not find. The power is supplied with a USP plug. If you use your USB on your set for Chromecast or Roku, you will have to remove it to use the antenna. The antenna will work fine without the USB power if your location is good. I found the reception about the same as my unpowered Amazon antenna.

I do like the antenna for local channels. The picture quality is superior to cable. If you have room for the larger antenna, and you need the extra boost of the powered antenna, this seems to do a good job. If you have a strong signal, you may want a smaller, lower priced antenna.

SAHE Premium Professional Food Grade Quality NonStick Silicone Baking Mat & Mats Sheets Supplies bakeware (2) Pk Fits Standard Half Size for daily Use / Bake Cookies and Pizza Baker's gift (Red)
Offered by SaHe World
Price: $16.39

5.0 out of 5 stars I was sceptical but it is even better than I had hoped for, February 3, 2016
This is the first silicone mat I have ever tried, and I have to admit that I was skeptical. I'm not sure how this can stand the high heat with no damage, but it is even better than I had hoped for. Nothing sticks to it, and that makes it easy to clean as well.

This mat is the perfect sixe for my baking pan. It is just slightly bigger than the pan, so the edges keep the sides of the pan from getting food burned on it.

The mat is very attractive and makes a perfect place mat for hot casseroles in the middle of the table. I have also found it to be handy for covering casseroles and pans that need to stay covered for baking or warming. There are so many uses for this, you wonder why you didn't find it sooner. It is so handy to have on hand and easy to store.

A discounted/complimentary sample was provided for a candid and honest review. I have no financial or personal connection with the manufacturer, seller or their employees. I am so impressed that I will order more as gifts.
Comment Comment | Permalink

Totally Bamboo Del Mar Cutting and Serving Board, 100% Bamboo with contrasting bamboo inlay, 19.25" by 13.75"
Price: $41.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful, High Quality Dual Purpose Board, February 3, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Length:: 1:17 Mins

I am a big fan of wood cutting boards, and this bamboo cutting/serving board is even harder than wood. It is a perfect size for cutting and serving.

The board is easy to clean with soapy water. Be sure to dry it and not soak it to avoid any warping. The surface should be preserved with oil that is food safe. I use a combination of mineral oil and bees wax.

Some people are concerned that natural cutting boards are more prone to bacteria, but studies have shown that they are as safe as glass or plastic. I like to use a lemon wedge to clean it before each use. Lemon is a natural bacteria killer and eliminates the need for toxic chemicals.

This is a solid, high-quality cutting board. With a little care, it should last a lifetime.

Telmu TV Wall Mount Bracket Stand Full Motion with Shelf for 32-70" Flat Screens/LED LCD Plasma TV, Fits up to VESA 600*400mm,88 lbs, Flush 2.9-17.2" Profile, 2.0mm Thickness, 5 ft HDMI Cable (4K)
Offered by SLIAN
Price: $69.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice, Heavy Duty Wall Mount - Works Perfectly, January 21, 2016
Length:: 1:37 Mins

This is really a solid wall mount bracket. It is well finished with no sharp edges or corners. All hardware was included, including 2 different size sets of bolts for attaching the bracket to the back of the TV. My TV is only a 32 inch, and both sets of bolts were too big. I did use the bolts that came with the TV and it worked fine.ch helped me avoid

The arm extends to any direction I need and has a tilt adjustment, which helped me avoid glare. Setup was easy and only took about 15 minutes. This is one of the nicer wall mounts I have seen.

I was offered a discounted sample for my honest opinion. I have no connection with the seller or manufacturer.

Dulcii IPC8 HD 1280x720P,Cloud Network IP Camera Wireless/Wired Surveillance Video Monitoring security camera IR-Cut Filter plug/play, Pan/Tilt with Two-Way Audio and Night Vision
Offered by Dulcii-USA
Price: $86.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice Camera but Some Concerns, January 20, 2016
Setup is fairly easy, although the documentation is pretty poor. A "Quick start" guide is included, and is the only documentation in the box. The quick start references http://mipcm.com/ as a URL where you can download the destkop client (appears to be Windows only) and documentation. However, the only documentation downloads listed are for IPC1 and IPC2, not the IPC8 that we have here.

To setup the camera, you first plug it into your network router/switch with the included ethernet cable. It will automatically bring itself online within a minute or so. You can then use the client app on your phone, tablet, or computer to connect to the camera and configure it. It doesn't appear to be possible to set it up without using their proprietary app, although the web interface (http://mipcm.com) might work. The camera app will prompt you to change the admin password for the camera, and to select a Wireless network (and supply a Wi-Fi password, if needed). After that point, you are able to view a video feed from the camera.

I work in IT, so I do have a few concerns with this. Initially, it looked like the camera was only accessible via their proprietary software or website. There is no mention anywhere of being able to access the camera directly. Accessing your video through their website makes it more convenient to view remotely, but that also means that your video feed is accessible by the company.

Through some poking around, I have discovered that you can access the camera directly with a web browser. You just have to type in http://123.123.123.123 (replacing "123.123.123.123" with the IP address of your camera, which you'll have to look up under the camera's settings after connecting to it via an alternate method). It will prompt you for the device admin password, which will then present you with a web interface nearly identical to the one at http://mipcm.com.

The camera itself seems solid. It appears to be quality equipment, and it doesn't feel cheap. However, I did have an issue with the MicroSD card slot. I tried two different MicroSD cards, and the camera wouldn't accept or recognize either one. The card won't sit properly in the slot, which suggests a hardware issue. Everything else about the camera itself looks good. I'd give the Camera itself a 4 out of 5 (subtracting 1 star for the MicroSD issue).

The lacking documentation and somewhat confusing "quick start", combined with the proprietary software leave me a little more concerned. The web interface works pretty well, using either Flash or a browser plug-in to display video. The microphone on the camera seems pretty clear, although there doesn't seem to be any way to turn it off, either (viewing the video, you hear any sounds, with no way to mute it). It's good that you can reach the camera directly, so it doesn't become a paperweight if the company goes out of business or turns off their website, but it'd be nice if it were easier to do. Casual non-technical users may find it tricky, especially with no useful documentation. I'd give the software, documentation, and access features a 3 out of 5 stars.

Overall, that leaves me with a 3.5 out of 5 stars rating. The software and documentation could stand some improvement, which could take this from a decent product to a very good product.

Positives:
- The camera is pretty easy to setup
- The camera is accessible remotely
- The camera is accessible by multiple devices simultaneously
- The build quality seems solid
- The video quality seems very good
- The "night mode" worked very well
- The Camera appears to be accessible directly via HTTP to the IP address of the Camera

Negatives:
- Using the camera requires installing a phone/tablet app, a desktop client, or using the company's website (website requires Flash or installing a video plug-in) - Update, it looks like it can be accessed directly
- Accessing the camera goes through http://mipcm.com, even if you use the phone/tablet apps or desktop client
- http://mipcm.com does not use encryption unless you manually go to https://mipcm.com, so your camera feed is not encrypted by default
- There isn't a convenient way to access the camera directly. You have to look up its IP address and connect manually.
- If the company goes out of business or removes their website, you will probably not be able to access the camera outside of your home network; also, the phone/tablet apps, the desktop client, and the web interface via the company's website will probably stop working
- Having the camera feed accessible through http://mipcm.com means that the company has access to your video
- The video feed can lag badly sometimes. I've observed delays of 30+ seconds on the video feed
- The MicroSD card slot seems defective. The camera would not accept either of the MicroSD cards I tried.

I have included Screenshots of the camera in use (daytime and nighttime):

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 20, 2016 8:27 PM PST

CSE® New Replacement Laptop Notebook Battery for MR90Y Dell Inspiron 14R(5421 5437) 15R(3521) 17R(5521 5537) 0MF69 312-1390 49VTP 68DTP 6KP1N 8TT5W FW1MN MK1R0 PVJ7J 6K73M 8RT13 DJ9W6 G35K4 N121Y V1YJ7 W6XNM XRDW2 Dell 15R (5537), 312-1392, 9K1VP, X29KD G019Y MR90Y T1G4M VR7HM XCMRD 312-1387 312-1433 4WY7C V8VNT X29KD YGMTN 24DRM 312-1392 4DMNG 6HY59 6XH00 9K1VP [Li-ion 11.1V 6-cell 5200mAh] - 12 Month Warranty
Offered by CSEDirect
Price: $59.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Shorter Operating Time but the Price Makes it a Great Value, January 16, 2016
I was pleasantly surprised at the quality of the construction of this battery, especially for the price. It has a nice matte finish with a wide rubber foot, just like the original. It fits perfectly and works flawlessly.

The battery came fully charged, so I installed it and noticed no difference from the original Dell battery as far as operation of my laptop. It recharged like the original and I could not really tell a difference after several useages.

It is a bit difficult to compare battery life, since this is new, and some batteries perform better (or worse) after several uses. My factory battery is only a few months old, and I usually remove it when running on AC power, so it has not had a lot of use. After one hour of steady use, the fully charged Dell battery lost 21% and showed 3 hrs 31 minutes remaining. After one hour of use for the fully charged CSEDirect replacement battery, it had lost 29% and showed 2 hrs and 14 minutes remaining. The replacement battery performs as well as the Dell, but appears to have a shorter operating time.

If the price were the same as the Dell, I would probably give it 4 stars based on the single comparison of battery use. Considering that a new Dell battery costs 159.99, you could purchase several of these and still have money left over. At this price, this is a real bargain, and a great value.

Knee Support, Aegend Basic Breathable Knee Brace for Yoga, Workout, Sports, Men, Women [Legend Protector Series], Black, Set of 1
Offered by Team Aegend
Price: $24.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Comfortable and Flexible, January 16, 2016
I was offered a discounted sample knee support for my honest review. I only accept an offer to review something that I can fairly evaluate.

My left knee has no cartilage, due to an injury in my 20s. That same knee has a torn ACL that also happened when I was younger and was never repaired. Now that I am in my 60s, my knee will ache when I am on my feet for awhile. I have an elastic bandage knee support that has worked well for several years. I was really interested in trying this to see how well it compared.

This support is made of top notch materials with excellent construction. It is easy to put on with the Velcro straps making it adjustable for different size legs. There is additional lining on both sides for lateral support.

When I first put it on, it did seem a bit cumbersome and restrictive. After about an hour, I tried making it a little looser, and that made it much more comfortable. It takes a couple of tries to know what is the right tension, If it is not tight enough, is will slowly slide down when walking. Once I found the right tension, it was very comfortable.

This does offer good flexibility and support with the design. The opening over the knee cap combined with the smaller area behind the knee allows freer movement than a standard elastic brace. The one disadvantage of this design is that the sides have a smaller area of support than the elastic bandage. The picture makes it look like it covers a larger part of the outside of the joint than it really does.

The bottom line is that it does a decent job of giving me support and relieving the strain I sometimes feel. I will continue to use it when I need it, but I will still wear my elastic support bandage with tighter fitting pants or shorts.

Personal Finance After 50 For Dummies
Personal Finance After 50 For Dummies
by Eric Tyson
Price: $16.95
59 used & new from $11.84

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Starting Point for People Heading Toward Retirement, January 12, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have to admit that I have never been very good at understanding personal finances so the “Dummies” label really applies to me. I am in my 60s and ready to retire, with social security, an IRA and pension. I was looking for good advice on retirement spending and investing, so the “After 50” part of the title attracted me.

Thankfully, the book is clearly written for people like me that do not have a working knowledge of many financial processes. This was a good starting point for me, with basic knowledge.

At nearly 450 pages, it is not a small book. At times, there were places I felt it included excessive information that did not apply directly to finance, such as be healthy, eat more fiber, drink more water and manage your stress. All good info, but not what I was looking for.
At the same time, it coved so many topics that could affect your finances that it really made me think past the basics. The more I read, the more I appreciated that. I also liked the fact that it showed both side of topics without trying to sell us on “the best way” to make financial decisions.

The book covers key topic such as creating a retirement plan, Social Security, Medicare, long term health care and estate planning. These are topics that everyone over 50 should understand thoroughly (which I did not) to make good decisions.

This book was more than I expected in some areas and less than I wanted in others. The key thing is that I know have a better understanding of finances, and a plan for moving forward. Even if it didn’t answer all of my questions, it got me motivated to learn more and make good decisions. Best of all, it was written in a way that was easy for me to grasp. I would recommend it as a starting point for everyone over 50.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20