Profile for Chuck Bittner > Reviews

Top Reviewer Ranking: 51

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Chuck Bittner "Disabled comedian & gamer!" RSS Feed (New England USA)
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Accoutrements Bigfoot Action Figure
Accoutrements Bigfoot Action Figure
Price: $13.26
14 used & new from $11.75

5.0 out of 5 stars I may have gotten a defective unit... mine is much blurrier., July 29, 2014
I'm not sure what's going on here or if it's a bait and switch but my Bigfoot is very blurry. I realize that Bigfoot is often blurry but it's a little more than I expected. Can somebody verify if mine was defective, I uploaded a customer image.

Thanks.

I/0 [HD]
I/0 [HD]
DVD
Price: $2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars As a computer tech guy this is a show I watched by myself., July 29, 2014
I don't always love every episode of Halt and Catch Fire but I do really enjoy the show. It definitely needs to be stated that you have to realize this is a fictional story and not one telling the tale of what really happend. Personally a few of the middle episodes in this season kind of drag for me. But in the end this is a show I always look forward to watching every Sunday. I hope it gets a second season because I'd really be interested to see where they take it.

This is a show I do not watch with any of my friends or family unlike shows like Mad Men, Breaking Bad or Game of Thrones. i I want to see how it goes before I recommend it. So I watched this alone I feel like a sad nerd or something.

I do like the inside text jokes and references that they drop here and there they make me laugh out loud or should I say ROFL. But I'm also glad that the jokes and inside references are not over the top. With that being said I don't think you have to be a computer genius by any stretch to enjoy the show. But I do sometimes think the writers get a little over the heads of the common viewer and that's why I gave it four stars instead of five.

01001001 00100000 01110010 01100101 01100011 01101111 01101101 01101101 01100101 01101110 01100100 00100000 01110100 01101000 01101001 01110011 00100000 01110011 01101000 01101111 01110111 00100000 01110100 01101000 01100001 01101110 01101011 01110011 00100000 01100110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01110010 01100101 01100001 01100100 01101001 01101110 01100111 00100000 01100001 01101110 01100100 00100000 01101110 01101001 01100011 01100101 00100000 01101010 01101111 01100010 00100001

VIZIO M492i-B2 49-Inch 1080p Smart LED TV
VIZIO M492i-B2 49-Inch 1080p Smart LED TV
Price: $668.00
11 used & new from $529.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Review of the 2014 model B - A beautiful television at a great price., July 29, 2014
The model # with a B is 2014 version.

I am someone who likes to spend a little bit more money and get something that's higher quality than spending the bare minimum. It was a tossup between me getting a 60Hz 50 inch TV VIZIO E500i-B1 50-Inch 1080p 60Hz 3 HDMI Smart LED HDTV or the 49 inch Vizio listed here, I went with the latter. Since we sometimes use this for gaming and we watch a lot of sports in my opinion it justified the 120Hz upgrade price which at the time of writing this review was about $80.

Now in my research before buying this I came to appreciate that most of the time 60Hz refresh rate is fine for television shows. It only really benefits you when you're watching things that have a lot of horizontal movement like sports or video games. Now my dad said he wanted a TV with 120Hz because he always wants to be moving forward and getting the best he can at any given time.

This is actually bought for my dad who lost his television and PlayStation 3 to a single random lightning strike :( them often over his house to watch television I wanted to get them something that was better than his old 46 inch Samsung LCD TV. This one is very nice, he even remarks how much brighter the screen is compared to his old TV. Now he is 70 years old and my stepmother is 74 but I'm glad to report that they picked up on the improved clarity and brightness, so much for them losing their eyesight. The funny thing is this TV is not much bigger in physical size than our old Samsung 46 inch. that is because the Samsung LCD had a 2 inch bezel around the outside of the screen so this one has less than half an inch in bezel. I like the fact very much that it's almost completely all screen with no border. But it doesn't look like three extra inches of TV real estate.

This model comes with four HDMI ports and was a pretty big selling point for my father and I. The other model I was looking at he runs a Dish Network Hopper DVR on one HDMI port, his PlayStation three that we use for a media server and we use this so we can share videos and websites from our mobile devices on our TV: 1Byone Wireless HDMI WiFi Dongle Share Video from All Smart Devices to TV so it's nice to have an extra HDMI port and that's why we went with this TV.And the cool thing about this TV is that HDMI port 4 is on the side so it's convenient somebody brings over a laptop and wants to play videos or show pictures.

I wanted to get him a smart TV also because I like him to be able to use some of the features of the Internet even though he's sometimes a neo-Luddite (Neo-Luddism is a philosophy opposing many forms of modern technology) when it comes to technology. I'll report back when I get into the smart features a little further I wasn't quite sure how to bring up the dock of websites like YouTube/Amazon/twitter that you see in the pictures. If anybody knows that appreciate a heads up on that.

Our old 2009 Samsung LCD gave up its ghost after many years due to the fact my dad didn't have his PlayStation on a power strip. It's a bummer loses PlayStation 3 and a TV from one random lone lightning strike but getting this TV is a nice compromise. I am really impressed by how much brighter and crisper the images look and he can't wait to see how good MLB 14 The Show looks on this thing.

Another thing I like about this is it has a lot of good sound coming out of the speakers. Plus the volume goes up to 100 unlike our old Samsung LCD that went to 70. Why does a TV go to 70 it reminds me of The Spinal Tap movie where the knob on the guitar amp goes to 11 and it makes me laugh. I'm just glad that it goes to 100 and it is a lot louder than our old television, which can be a bummer because my dad is kind of hearing-impaired and I have to yell at him to turn it down.

If I had to give it one con I would save not intuitive to get to the Smart TV features as I would've hoped. I hope there's a way to bring up the dock that you see in all of the pictures but I'm not sure how to do that yet. And I'm somebody who has a lot of years as a tech guru for friends and family. So the fact that I can't find it I often put as nonintuitive in form or function.

Anyway hope you found this helpful please let me know if you have any comments or questions, I'd be glad to help.

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 29, 2014 2:34 PM PDT

Samsung NX30 20.3MP CMOS Smart WiFi & NFC Interchangeable Lens Digital Camera with 18-55mm Lens and 3" AMOLED Touch Screen and EVF (Black)
Price: $799.00
21 used & new from $666.29

5.0 out of 5 stars This camera is rather impressive + some basics on photography., July 28, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This camera is amazingly powerful and super flexible for the beginning photographer. While it is very expensive it can be a very powerful tool. I still love my Canon in Digital SLR but this camera has some really beautiful features that blow it away. In this review I will highlight some practical tips for getting the most out of this camera especially if you're a new photographer. Remember too, GOOD photographs are not taken they are made. With a few simple rules and tips I hope to help you understand aperture size and shutter speed and how they make photography work.

First off what do I think of the Samsung NX30? It's a pretty amazing camera system. Ever since I started using DSLR cameras I've always loved interchangeable lenses. Being able to switch your lens type to changing light conditions or even subject conditions is the best way to become an advanced photographer. And it's very cool that the NX30 offers this even though I think the lens selection is a little limited. I will get into this a little bit more later on.

THE WIFI...

I love this camera mostly because it has built-in Wi-Fi feature. This is hands down one of the best implementations I've ever seen on a camera. I have used Eye-fi cards in the past (they are SD cards that have built-in Wi-Fi transmitters effectively enabling Wi-Fi on any digital camera) I've never found them to be very effective at distances more than 10 feet plus they're rather expensive. Eye-Fi 16GB Pro X2 SDHC As you can see the Eye-fi cards basically start at $80 and only go up in price. In my opinion that reduces the price of this camera by $100 right there.

If you're somebody who really would like to have a Wi-Fi enabled camera so that you can take photos and instantly share them with friends and family I have no reservations in saying in all capital letters THIS IS THE BEST CAMERA EVER DESIGNED!!!!!!!!!!!! I say this not being bombastic it really is the best.

Being able to take your smart phone and download photos or videos instantly as you take them really is an amazing feature. Being able to also geo-tag (include the GPS coordinates of where the picture was taken) to a photograph instantly is awesome. There is just so much to this camera that the Wi-Fi adds that make it a league of its own.

I also love being able to use your camera as a remote viewfinder. Like I said previously I usually shoot with my Canon T3i digital SLR but if I want to have a remote viewfinder for that I need to plug it into a laptop or desktop computer. That's all well and good in a studio environment but not when you're out and about in the world. Again this feature is really awesome.

Another thing to note is that with the Wi-Fi enabled you can automatically transfer photos and video right to your computer or cell phone as you capture. One of the things I often dreaded most about taking a lot of photographs with my Canon cameras is having to pull out the memory card and then download the photos to iPhoto. It can be just such a pain in the butt it's nice that it can happen seamlessly and in the background.

A vloggers dream...

If you're somebody looking to get in the world of doing video blogs a.k.a. vlogging, this camera is a good choice. The reason being as I mentioned above videos can be automatically synced right to your computer for you to edit and upload. This again can save you tons of time and frustration. Plus the video features of this camera are above and beyond even my Canon digital SLR. Most of the video bloggers on YouTube use Canon cameras.

Another nice thing about this camera is the articulating LCD screen. The LCD screen can be pulled out from the body and rotated facing toward the subject in the lens. So if you're a solo person wanting to talk to the camera you can see just what you're getting. In conjunction with that you can then use the phone application to start and stop the video. It is amazing how far technology is come and again I say it the Wi-Fi had so much even to taking video with this camera.

The interchangeable lenses...

The one drawback to this camera that I don't like over my Canon digital SLR's is the limited amount of interchangeable lenses. Canon has hundreds of lenses for their digital SLR cameras and really in a plethora of price ranges from $100 to $10,000+. This being said Samsung does have a good group of lenses; about 20+ at the time of writing this review.

This lens below is the one that I would recommend getting right from the start: Samsung NX 45mm f/1.8 2D/3D Camera Lens (Black) or the Samsung NX 45mm f/1.8 Camera Lens (Black)

I want to let it be known that I haven't tried these lenses but I would explain to you why they are the best starting lens if your new photographer.

One of the lenses above is a 3-D lens in addition to being a 2-D lens. Being able to take 3-D photographs and video is just a very cool thing to be able to do.

It's all about the lenses... PLUS A BASIC PHOTOGRAPHY GUIDE FOR NEW PEOPLE.

If you're new to photography the one thing you need to learn is the camera body is just the box that catches the light while the lens is the part that captures the picture. So the camera body basically just governance how fast you can take the pictures i.e. shutter lag and how big the final picture is a.k.a. 10 MB or 20 MB per photo. There are a few other nuances it controls but that is more for an advanced discussion.

Are you ready? Here we go photography 102. **Some of the following information is found in the instruction manual included with this camera. The introduction chapter in this manual is very useful for new photographers.

The two things I think it's most important to understand is shutter speed and aperture size. Once you understand how shutter speed and aperture work together you will be well on your way to making great pictures. The reason being these two factors affect the lighting, color and clarity of your finished picture.

HOW APERTURE AND SHUTTER SPEED WORK: Basically the aperture is a circle inside the lens that as you go up in your f-stop from 1.8 to 2.2 to 3.0 and beyond it shrinks the size of this circle in the lens. The shrinking of the circle from a higher f-stop allows less light to pass through to the sensor. The lower the f-stop i.e. 1.8 allows you to shoot at faster (this is considered a "fast" lens) shutter speeds in low light situations because the circle in the lens allows more light to pass through because of the lower aperture.

Here's an example; say you are in a well lit room and you're shooting your child (yes that sounds very weird but it's a funny joke anyway). Generally indoors you need to shoot at 1/60 of a second with most lenses they'll instantly autofocus at their lowest f-stop which would be about 4.0. But if you have a lens that can go down to 1.8 on the f-stop you could shoot the same picture at 1/125 shutter speed. Resulting in about the same light but avoiding any motion blur that plagues low light photography. Now it needs to be noted that as you drop your f-stop you lose depth of field. I.e. how much of your photo will be in focus and how much will be blurred. It's the effect you see on portraits where the person is in focus but the background is blurry.

Now I know many people will probably shoot holes in the foregoing explanation of f-stop. I'm not a really advanced photographer but I get how shutter speed and aperture priority work with each other. I recommend getting the 40mm F 1.8 lens for this camera.

Here's what I recommend that you do with that lens:
1. Enable manual mode on your camera this mode allows you to set both the aperture for the lens a.k.a. the f-stop and the shutter speed a.k.a. how long the shutter is opened while taking a photograph.
2. Drop the aperture or f-stop to 1.8 on your lens (or you lowest f-stop available)
3. Set your shutter speed to 1/60 of a second
4. take a picture
5. Look at your photograph notice how much is dark and light about it how sharp it is etc.
6. Go up to the next shutter speed 1/90th of the second or 1/125 and take another photograph.
7. now compare both of the photographs you took
8. to change the shutter speed again going up another step taken other photograph now compare all three photographs

If you continue to do this adjust shutter speed while knowing what your aperture is you're going to notice how shutter speed affects the lighting of your photographs all you need to do then is start changing your aperture and repeat the process of stepping through your shutter speeds eventually you'll understand how the aperture works in correlation with shutter speed. I became a proficient photographer using manual controls in less than a month just by doing this simple practice. I would recommend starting outdoors on a well lit day because then you will see how you can adjust your aperture and your shutter speeds to really make good photographs.

In conclusion of this discussion of aperture and shutter speed I want to say that the default lens that comes with the NX30 is an 18 to 55mm (this is how much zoom the lens has) within f-stop of 3.5 the 5.6. What this means is when your lens is at its maximum zoom the lowest f-stop you can have is 5.6. But when it's all the way back at 18 mm it's lowest f-stop is 3.5. Some zoom lenses sometimes only have one f-stop number which means that any zoom level that's the lowest f-stop you have.

The f-stop of 5.6 as we learned means the circle and the lens is really small so in return you have to drop your shutter speed to allow enough light to get to the sensor. Indoor shooting without a flash at that f-stop is almost impossible.

I personally prefer shooting without flash as I generally feel it ruins good pictures. This is the reason I recommend getting the F1.8 lens is because you can really see how dramatically aperture can improve your lighting even at higher shutter speeds and it doesn't require the usable flash as often.

End of the lesson ;)

More Proz...

The picture quality is also amazingly beautiful. You'll find that good lenses are what contribute to getting good pictures. And the pictures from this camera our beautiful nice and crisp even with the default lens.

It's also nice of this package comes with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 that program is very useful for digital photography and it runs about $100 by itself.

So in conclusion I think this camera is a good choice in a lot of areas. The fact that it has the Wi-Fi built-in comes with Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 in my opinion as $150 in subtractive value i.e. if it's $800 it's more like $650 in my eyes. So if you're somebody want to get into photography I really think this camera is a good choice over a digital SLR camera from say Canon or Nikon.

Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 28, 2014 1:44 PM PDT

Toshiba Desktop 7200 3.0TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch Internal Bare Drive PH3300U-1I72
Price: Click here to see our price
48 used & new from $102.80

4.0 out of 5 stars I run this hard drive with an external dock for my Time Machine backup., July 27, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
If you're on a Mac you need to be running time machine it's the best way to backup your important data transparently. I run this drive for my iMac and it works perfectly using this external dock: ORICO 6619US3 5Gbps Super Speed USB 3.0 to SATA Hard Drive HDD Docking Station for 2.5 inch or 3.5" Hard drive - Black

I always recommend when getting an external hard drive get as much space as you can afford. Most of the time for most nonpower users 2 TB is plenty of backup space. I generally recommend not partitioning the drive because having multiple partitions can get kind of confusing when you're looking for your data.

The one thing I like about using a dock like I included in the link above is that you can hot-swap other hard drives when you need to. If a friend/family members hard drive stops working or starts malfunctioning you can just pull out this hard drive and popping theirs. It really works amazingly well for saving people's data.

I have no complaints about Toshiba hard drives and I've been working with them for almost 15 years. My general rule of thumb with a hard drive is if it works for a month it will work for years. Just try to never drop them or turn them on and off that is what kills hard drives. I've had some of my hard drives for more than five years at the time of writing this review.

Thanks for reading!

iHome iDL48BC Dual Charging Portable Rechargeable Speaker with Lightning Dock and USB Charge/Play for iPad/iPhone/iPod, Black
Price: $85.31
19 used & new from $40.99

3.0 out of 5 stars IMO it sounds good but missing a a few important features., July 27, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I'm not an audiophile a.k.a. somebody who's super attentive to perfect sound reproduction through speakers and headphones, But I do love music and I like a nice speaker system and this puts out some good sound. But I think it definitely misses the mark of being a "portable speaker" in a few areas.

In my opinion a portable speaker is one you take to the beach, park or camping etc. A portable speaker should be one that anybody at a party can easily play their tunes through. In my opinion Bluetooth or NFC (Near Field Communications) enabled devices and speakers are the best for that. And the fact the speaker doesn't have Bluetooth really is a major detractor from me recommending the speaker. A speaker like this I consider more nonportable it something I set up in my kitchen or a living room but not something I take with me out into my yard.

That being said I do like speaker systems like this that are more like a charging dock/station for your iPhones and iPads. The one other thing I don't like about this and many charging docks and and speakers alike is at the top connector is only a lightning connector. So if you want to use it as a cradle you have to have an iPhone 5 or later lightning enabled device to rested on the top as shown in the pictures. I'm not sure why companies don't just have interchangeable connector for older iPhones, iPads or even other manufacturers like Samsung. I seen this so many times with these types of devices. This being said you can plug-in via USB on the back to use other devices like the ones I mentioned. But to me that shouldn't have to be the only option you have. If they just allows you to plug in your main adapter you'd be good to go for whatever your main device is.

This is where Bluetooth would've been such a better option instead of having a hard wire your device. So it's kind of strange that this device is good for charging your phones or iPads but less for being a portable speaker system.

But the sound quality is good to end on a positive note and it has a decent amount of base for its smaller size. It definitely has the ability to fill a room with sound.

So in conclusion it's an okay speaker system but it's missing a few simple things I could've made it a lot better. I don't really see this as your best option for an "portable speaker". But it's definitely an okay option if you're looking for a speaker to set up somewhere and use it as a charging station for your mobile devices while at the same time using it for music or audiobooks. I could definitely see it being you very useful in somebody's workshop also.

Wahl 9867-300 Lithium Ion All-in-One Trimmer
Wahl 9867-300 Lithium Ion All-in-One Trimmer
Price: $36.85

5.0 out of 5 stars A very good razor for all your manscaping needs!, July 27, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I have reviewed a number of razors on Amazon and consider this one a good choice if it's in your price range. Sometimes sub $40 razors can feel really cheap or flimsy but I feel this one really stands out in its rugged feel. In addition the battery life is stellar; it's rather impressive how much time modern electronics get out of their batteries. I have no problems recommending this as a travel razor as the battery life is that good.

I use this for cleaning up other areas on my body aside for my face. Personally I'm of the opinion a man should have two razors one for his face and one for his other body parts ;) Manscaping a.k.a. trimming your private areas is something most men should be doing and most of us don't. I have a friend who is really hairy forearms and he really should trim that stuff back a little bit it would look so much better. But how useful to tell your body "you need to trim up a little bit".

I found switching heads to be a little frustrating at times but I basically run the default trimmer 24/7 on my razors. But it is nice to have the extra heads available if you need them. Especially the smaller head attachment for getting inside your ears. I sometimes one of pull my razor out and trim old people's ear hair as it is so disgusting. I'm not sure while people don't realize you can trim your hair; maybe they just have given up caring.

For under $40 you can't go wrong and this makes a great gift.

Thanks for reading!

PS I am also glad this comes in frustration free packaging that is seriously a nice feature. I hate all slicing my hands off trying to open up new products.

Jumbl™ Mini Portable Car Jump Starter Power Bank w/12,000mAh Capacity - Supplies Car Battery w/Boost of 400 Amps - Features LED Light & Dual USB Device Charging Ports
Offered by DBROTH
Price: $129.99
2 used & new from $99.95

5.0 out of 5 stars This thing is awesome for camping believe it or not., July 26, 2014
The amount of power in this thing is rather impressive while camping it charged iPhones and iPads all weekend long. I've tried a lot of portable power banks on Amazon this one has the most power hands down. I'm someone who hates to even risk running out of iPhone power and I also like to save the day when my friends are in that situation. This power bank is the best one I've seen at 12,000mAh. Most of them will charge two or maybe three phones before their charge runs out. This thing just keeps on going.

This is a great gift for a new driver as it offers some roadside assistance if their battery dies. Even if their car breaks down it'll keep their phones up and running in the emergency situation. I think having one of these in your car is just a good idea for everyone.

A friend of mine tried to make her car run out of battery so we could see if this thing could jumpstart it but sadly it didn't die. I really like this as it's a complete package that will keep your electronic devices fully charged for many days.

I would venture to guess this thing could keep a single phone fully charged for a week plus. That's always a good thing.

Thanks for reading.

Milkotein Wonder Bites 2-in-1 Protein Rich Low Fat Dog Chews Treat
Milkotein Wonder Bites 2-in-1 Protein Rich Low Fat Dog Chews Treat
Price: $11.89
3 used & new from $11.89

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the greatest dog treats in the world but definitely unique., July 26, 2014
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
My brother's dog was not very interested in these neither hard nor microwaved. Which is strange because he generally loves everything. But I guess he sort of like most humans we don't like things that are good for us. I can see these being very useful if you need to cut your dogs weight or they need more protein. I'm I give these to a few of my friends dogs and see if they have a different reaction.

UPDATE: So my brothers dog Sort of likes these but it takes a while. She's really excited when she first gets them choose on them for about 30 seconds drops it on the floor and leaves it. Then she seems to go back later pick them up and start chewing on them. I can only imagine she's like "I'm so excited I'm getting a dog treat... oh crap what is this thing Yuck." But she has been going back and chewing on them so that the good sign. And they do last a long time that is definitely a good thing.

Havahart 1089  Collapsible One-Door Live Animal Cage Trap for Raccoon, Stray Cat,  Groundhog, Opossum, and Armadillos
Havahart 1089 Collapsible One-Door Live Animal Cage Trap for Raccoon, Stray Cat, Groundhog, Opossum, and Armadillos
Price: $44.99
4 used & new from $44.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A good trap and very nice and compact when collapsed., July 25, 2014
We were going after a neighbors groundhog we assumed was pillaging our garden, instead we caught a little raccoon who had been dining on our vegetables. He wasn't happy I hope is enjoying his new home 8 miles away ;) I was concerned that this trap wouldn't feel sturdy since collapsible but is just fine (it will be interesting to see how it holds up to being folded and unfolded a few times) but so far so good.

I definitely recommend throwing a blanket over top of the cage when carrying it with no real hand guard they could claw you. But all in all I think it's a nice trap for saving animals from an early demise and $45 is a good price.

We also got the double door Non-collapsible version found here: Havahart 1045 Live Animal Two-Door Raccoon, Stray Cat, Opossum, and Groundhog Cage Trap but it still hasn't caught anything. The double door version since it is non-collapsible takes up a lot more room but it's definitely a more rugged cage. I recommend this one if you're dealing with catching five or less troublemakers per season. But definitely the double door version if you're defending a large area against a greater onslaught of critters.

Thanks for reading and good luck catching the little vermin.

PS I uploaded a picture of the little thief in the cage, under customer images.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20