Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for Bookworm936 > Reviews

Browse

Bookworm936's Profile

Customer Reviews: 298

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Bookworm936 RSS Feed (In the Middle of NoWhere)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Little Erin Merryweather
Little Erin Merryweather
DVD ~ David Morwick
Price: $21.99
21 used & new from $0.75

3.0 out of 5 stars it is very predictable, February 15, 2012
This review is from: Little Erin Merryweather (DVD)
The Red Riding Hood story is an interesting one and the movie held promise. It just would have been so much better if it hadn't been so predictable. Right off the bat the viewer knows who the killer is due to the hair style. You can see part of the hair coming from the hood...there is only one character in the movie who has that hair style...and BAM!...you know who the killer is. So there isn't any mystery as to who did the killings on campus.

The motive is also given to the viewer through the narration of the story. So...BAM!..the viewer knows the motive. Infact, the motive is told within the first few moments of the story.

The movie is a low budget. The acting is somewhat lame but not the worst I have seen by a long shot. There isn't any gore or special effects. So if you are looking for mystery, suspense or a gory slasher...this is not the movie for you.

I was attracted to the movie because of the fairy tale angle and was disappointed in it with the acting, pace and the general lack of suspense/mystery. It told and showed everything up front so the bulk of the movie was just watching characters make predictable and stupid descisions.

Sharktopus
Sharktopus
DVD ~ Eric Roberts
Price: $5.99
55 used & new from $1.98

3.0 out of 5 stars it isn't my favorite mutant monster movie but it's ok, February 15, 2012
This review is from: Sharktopus (DVD)
This isn't my favorite mutant monster movie but it is OK for what it is....Yes, the acting is really bad. Eric Roberts' acting was bad and he is normally a pretty good actor. The girl who played his daughter was horrible. She really needs to take acting lessons. The guy wasn't much better. Actually, Pez, the skipper tracking the sharktopus was my favorite character. I just wished his white VW bug had not met its end at the tentacles of the sharktopus....it was such a cute VW bug! So all the acting was either horrible or they overacted. The pacing was somewhat slow in areas and I really got tired of watching the horrible flirting between the two main characters...it was painful to watch. I did enjoy watching the CGI sharktopus. It is cheesey but funny to watch him walk around on his tentacles.

Killer Hair
Killer Hair
DVD ~ Mary McDonnell
2 used & new from $25.98

3.0 out of 5 stars its ok...the book series is sooo much better, February 15, 2012
This review is from: Killer Hair (DVD)
I have read all of the Crimes of Fashion books in the series. It is one of my favorite book series. I knew there was a movie and it aired on Lifetime but I didn't get to watch it since I worked that night...so....I bought it. The movie is OK. The book is much better. There are subtle differences with the movie and the book...and yes, I understand this happens alot with artistic liberties and all but it wasn't an improvement. Lacy's character is fine but Aunt Mimi's trunk doesn't appear in her life. Stella has long hair and doesn't flaunt "the girls" nor sport corsets. Brooke has brown hair as opposed to blonde and is interested in Lacy's co-worker Tony. Vic works as a police officer as opposed to a security consultant. Tony wears a suit as opposed to jeans and cowboy boots. Felicity Pickles is different from the description in the book. Johnson (the character who Lacy was always stepping on his toes at the Hill) is not in the movie. The subtle changes made it rather awkward and the movie takes short cuts to finding things out but it is a cute movie to help pass the time. Also, Stella buys the salon? This doesn't happen in the book and it makes it somewhat awkward considering there is a sequel to the first movie called Hostile Makeover.

Bloodwine
Bloodwine
DVD ~ Melissa Johnson
Price: $13.99
18 used & new from $4.20

1.0 out of 5 stars it pretty bad..., February 13, 2012
This review is from: Bloodwine (DVD)
It almost felt like I was watching some really bad highschool production made by kids and filmed using their mom's camcorder. It is that low quality. The acting is very wooden at times and other times it seems overacted. The actors/characters in the movie dress like they raided a hot topic sale bind. It is a very sad and lame attempt at a gothic/vampire movie.

El Mariachi (Special Edition)
El Mariachi (Special Edition)
DVD ~ Peter Marquardt
Offered by Best Bargains Inc
Price: $8.35
98 used & new from $0.31

3.0 out of 5 stars Why didn't the guy just change clothes?, February 13, 2012
I enjoyed Desperato and From Dusk Till Dawn and a guy at school suggested this movie to me. Well....I get it is low budget and done in one shot....but it seemed very repetitive. The mariachi keeps getting chased because he carries a guitar case and wears black pants with white shirt...he even becomes aware of the mistaken identity and still doesn't do much to prevent it. He knows they are looking for a guy with a guitar case wearing black and white....so why oh why did't he just change into some jeans and a t-shirt and leave the case behind for a day or so.....oh cause if he did that then there would be no movie since this is a shoot 'em up type movie.

The only reason I gave it 3 stars was because I did think the ending was cute. Loved the dog on the motorcycle bit.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 21, 2014 3:26 AM PDT

The Skeptic
The Skeptic
DVD ~ Bruce Altman
Offered by MightySilver
Price: $9.03
30 used & new from $3.98

3.0 out of 5 stars very lame ending, February 13, 2012
This review is from: The Skeptic (DVD)
It was OK. It isn't something I want to watch again because the ending was rather lame and feeled like a copout. The movie was actually pretty good as the skeptical main character tries to decide if the haunting senerios are real or if they are a product of his mind trying to get him to remember events of his past....however, the ending is the part I didn't care for. It seemed like a rather weak attempt to be ironic and a quick way to end the movie.

Also, it seemed odd that the psychic wasn't around the next night and his wife only showed up one time to check on him...I would think his wife or at least his son would call and talk to him more often.

The Ward (2010)
The Ward (2010)
DVD ~ Amber Heard
Price: $4.99
64 used & new from $1.38

3.0 out of 5 stars it's ok but it has been done so many times before..., February 11, 2012
This review is from: The Ward (2010) (DVD)
I picked this movie up simply because it was a horror movie with John Carpenter's name on it. I was hoping that it would be entertaining and bring a little something different to the "mental patient/psych ward" story. However, I was wrong. The movie is OK, but it is nothing new. It is the same old story rehashed over and over thus making it very predictable. It is well directed and the acting is ok. But when a story is rehashed so often with nothing new added into the mix it becomes rather boring regardless of the talent behind it. From the reading the back cover of the DVD, I was hoping for an actual ghost story. But it turns out the predictable "twist" alot of ghost stories have used is in this story too.

Nothing new, descent acting, good directing, the make up of the ghost looked a bit cheesey as opposed to scary. However, I did like the camera views of the hallway. As much as I liked the looooong stretchy hallways it isn't a movie I would watch again.

On a side note it was nice to see a horror type movie without alot of gratutious sex and nudity. There wasn't any gore or extensive kill sequences in the movie so that was a treat. Just wished it was more original.

Open House
Open House
DVD ~ Stephen Moyer
Offered by insomniacsonline
Price: $7.98
41 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars it could have been much better, February 6, 2012
This review is from: Open House (DVD)
We were disappointed in the movie. The acting wasn't bad and it looked as though it had potential but there wasn't enough explaination given as to why this was all happening. Also, there wasn't alot of background/relationship information given Layla and her brother/mate.

I guess it is suppose to be suspenseful because of the lack of information provided?? The fear of the unknown...I don't know but it just seemed lacking without it.

A guy and girl who are brother and sister but are oddly intimate apparently go house to house and live in it...why do they do this? The question is never answered.
Also, the neighbors, family, friends, ect. never think to report something suspicious? So the duo have been living in peoples' homes and the police has never caught onto them? Oh yeah...they move from place to place frequently....but why they do this is never answered.

There are more unanswered "why" questions but I don't want to give too much although there isn't much...

Subconscious Cruelty [Region 2]
Subconscious Cruelty [Region 2]
DVD ~ Brea Asher
2 used & new from $31.98

1.0 out of 5 stars I don't care much for short art house films unless done well, February 4, 2012
We heard alot about this movie so we decided to give it a go and well....yeah didn't much care for it. A freind of ours loved it and was talking about symbolism and deep connotations and meaning but we just aren't that technical about the films we watch. We prefer to watch movies for enjoyment or a little reality break.

So with that being said...we found the movie to be rather boring. It is more of a group of short flicks and the only real theme is that they include gore. I don't mind gore but I would prefer a plot to go along with it. The shorts basically consist of: woman with eyeball in stomach, guy killing his sister and her newborn baby, people trying to have sex with the planet and a group of women removing Christ off the cross to defile his body and urinate on him.

The movie doesn't have a plot or any character development. I guess this is why I got so bored with it. There isn't anything to care about in the film. It also doesn't help when the acting is lackluster yet laughable at parts. I understand alot of people were in awe of this film considering it took a decade to make and numerous people contributed to it but...it is boring unless you want to watch some gore without a story I wouldn't recommend it. The only way I would recommend it is just to shock someone but they would have to be sensitive about religion or saving the planet. The only positive thing I can say about this film is I did laugh at the part where a group of people were trying to have sex with the Earth. The way they rolled around on the ground in amor was funny. The only other part was when a guy played with another's semen. I found this funny considering it is suppose to be real semen. I don't know many (if any) guys who would play with another's semen even for money. It isn't really sanitary. (Also, I was told the semen was real - I don't know if it was or not. If it is real I don't know if it is human or not. This was something a friend told us he heard).

Nonetheless when I watch a movie with gore featured prominantly in it, I prefer the movie to have a bit of a plot/storyline. I would rather recommend A Serbian Film, Human Centipede 2 or Singapore Sling...even Nekromantik was more amusing than this film.

A Serbian Film
A Serbian Film
DVD ~ Srdjan Todorovic
Price: $12.01
19 used & new from $7.96

5.0 out of 5 stars It wasn't what I was expecting, February 4, 2012
This review is from: A Serbian Film (DVD)
We heard alot about this movie so we decided to purchase the uncut version. We figured if we were going to watch vile disgusting acts then we might as well watch it all. So it arrived and we watched it and we were rather surprised. From what we heard about the movie (newborn sex, necrophilia ect.) we were just expecting it to be a series of gore scenes put together one after another simply for shock value. However, the movie is rather interesting. It has a plot, good acting, nice camera work and doesn't reveal everything to the viewer at once. The viewer finds out what happens to Milos through a series of flashbacks and film he finds. I understand it is suppose to be a political statement but it also makes a good antidrug film. Things went downhill for Milos when the drug was injected into him. The film does have some scenes that will make people wince. It didn't phase us because we already knew what to expect and we have seen quite a bit of "disturbing" imagery. Also, it is just a movie and it has a way of drawing in the viewer. Throughout most of the movie we were more curious about what happened and what was going on with Milos and his family than oogling at the gore. I know that might sound odd but compared to watching Three Guys and a Hammer this wasn't that gut wrenching....big difference between reality and fiction.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 23, 2012 12:15 PM PST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20