Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro
Profile for atavism > Reviews

Browse

atavism's Profile

Customer Reviews: 523

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

atavism RSS Feed

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
Lift Protein Bar, Salted Caramel, 2.1 Ounce (Pack of 9)
Lift Protein Bar, Salted Caramel, 2.1 Ounce (Pack of 9)
Price: $18.70
3 used & new from $18.70

3.0 out of 5 stars very chewy, filling, July 20, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
These bars have several pros and cons, which I describe below:

Pros: They are very filling, and with 21g of protein and 16g of fiber, they actually work as a decent-sized snack. The fact that they only have 3g of sugar per bar is great. Surprisingly, these actually do taste like caramel! That came as quite a shock, as I'm used to protein bars that don't taste even remotely similar to their advertised flavor.

Cons: The texture is horrible. There is no "crunch," contrary to the "salted caramel crunch" description. Instead, they are very, very chewy. In fact, I found them so chewy that I found it difficult to eat them while walking/hiking, which is what I wanted to do. I also had to drink a lot of water to get a single bar down. They're pretty sticky and it's a little difficult to get them out of the wrapper, which again is unfortunate if you want to eat them on the go. The other con is the how they look. Here's a tip- don't look at them! You'll lose your appetite incredibly quickly, since they look nothing like the photo on the box and everything like something you might find in a diaper.

All in all, if you want a caramel flavored protein bar with little sugar, and you don't mind the texture, this is probably a good option for you.

Good Morning, Midnight: A Novel
Good Morning, Midnight: A Novel
by Lily Brooks-Dalton
Price: $20.43

4.0 out of 5 stars Fresh story, well-written, June 28, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I liked this book. It was refreshingly unique, and the small number of characters made it seem very intimate. There are two clear plot threads, with interesting and unexpected events in both, but for the most part this story is character-driven. The plot is clearly deemed secondary to the characters, as evidenced by the ending. If you like a book that neatly ties everything up in the end, this one isn't for you!

The one thing that I didn't like about the book was the large "coincidence" which was revealed at the end (although I guessed it midway through). I don't think it was necessary to build connection between the characters or between the story and the readers. Frankly, it struck me as trite and a little silly. Still, that was really the only let-down for me, so I am happy to recommend it to anyone interested in a good, quick read.

At the Edge of Summer: A Novel
At the Edge of Summer: A Novel
by Jessica Brockmole
Price: $17.77
85 used & new from $4.94

3.0 out of 5 stars Interesting perspective on WWI, boring romance, June 26, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I enjoyed the author's last book, so I decided to try this one as well. I didn't think it was quite as good as Letters from Skye, but it's still worth a read if you're interested in historical fiction.

Technically, I think this is a historical romance, but the romance element fell flat for me. The few scenes showed beteween Luc and Clare during a summer they knew each other during their teens was enough to understand why they might have a crush on each, but certainly not to convince me of any epic love. The subsequent letters they shared when they were parted didn't do much to add depth to the relationship. To me, the two powerful relationships in the book were between Luc and a fellow soldier Chaffre, and between Clare and her grandfather.

So, while I wasn't very invested in the romance in the book, I was very interested in the author's unique view of World War ! and its aftermath. The book covers how artists contributed to the war and the recover of soldiers, and how art was used as a way for soldiers to deal with what they were experiencing on the front lines. I had never heard about some of the things discussed in this book, and the author's note at the end indicates that it was all based in fact. The sections of the book dealing with these topics were quite interesting and enjoyable to read.

Kashi GOLEAN Plant-Powered Bars (Salted Dark Chocolate and Nuts, 7.95 Ounce)
Kashi GOLEAN Plant-Powered Bars (Salted Dark Chocolate and Nuts, 7.95 Ounce)
Price: $4.48

3.0 out of 5 stars ok, hard to taste chocolate, June 23, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I really like that these are non-GMO and that they contain fair trade chocolate.

The taste is so-so. They taste mainly like millet and peanuts, which actually isn't that bad. However, when I eat something labeled as chocolate, I want it to taste like chocolate. Having eaten 4 of these, I still can't catch more than the faintest hint of chocolate every few bites. Plus considering that they have 9g of sugar, it seems like they should be sweeter.

In terms of texture, they are chewy but not overly so. The bad thing is that the chia seeds get stuck in my teeth very easily, so they're not the best snack unless you have dental floss nearby.

Burton Women's Weekender Socks (2 Pack), Dusk, Small/Medium
Burton Women's Weekender Socks (2 Pack), Dusk, Small/Medium
Offered by Coats Unlimited
Price: $29.95

4.0 out of 5 stars thick, warm knee socks, June 18, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am reviewing the Tahoe socks, sized Medium/Large- not the dusk Small/Medium listed.

First, these are knee socks. In fact, they were long enough to go up and over my knees. That's a bit longer that I prefer. I'm a fit person with relatively normal/athletic sized legs, and these were just the right circumference and tightness. If you're someone with thicker or bigger legs, I would not recommend these (again, I had the Medium/Large).

They are definitely a warm, thick sock, and very soft. However, I would prefer that they have more arch support; I have some nice athletic socks that really provide support. These aren't designed like that at all.

The colors are bright and vibrant, and just as seen on the product pictures for the Tahoe options.

If I Was Your Girl
If I Was Your Girl
by Meredith Russo
Price: $10.58
66 used & new from $6.48

4.0 out of 5 stars Well-written YA romance, June 6, 2016
This review is from: If I Was Your Girl (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
It's great to see a YA book about a transgender teen, especially one that's well-written and deals with issues that teenagers face all the time. I thought the character of Amanda was interesting and very dynamic, and it was easy to relate to her. Her romantic relationship started out superficial but quickly became more compelling as she and her boyfriend actually got to know one another better. I suppose that many teens do start dating before they actually know each other very well, though I prefer to read about relationships that begin with a gradually building friendship.

I do wish the book had spent a little more time looking at Amanda's relationship with her parents, who were often absent and seemed more like caricatures than any of the other characters in the book. It also really bothered me that so many people constantly told Amanda how beautiful she was, but there was no real exploration of our society's focus on superficial looks, and the role that it can play in the life of a trans woman, or any woman.

As a warning, this book does contain some graphic violence and assault scenes, which are unfortunately a realistic part of our world, but still very hard to read.

Zinus 14 Inch SmartBase Deluxe Mattress Foundation/Platform Bed Frame/Box Spring Replacement, Twin
Price: $62.17
5 used & new from $62.17

3.0 out of 5 stars decent support, somewhat loud, June 6, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a decent bed for its price point. If you need an affordable option for your own bed or a convenient guest bed, I would recommend this.

It is extremely easy to set it up; it only took me about 5 minutes, and that included opening up the box and reading the instructions. It folds up easily and can be moved or stored without much effort at all.

The frame is about 4 inches wider than my twin mattress, so there is a fair amount of extra room. Additionally, there's nothing keeping the mattress in place, so there is the potential for the mattress to slide around on the bed. I haven't had this happen much, but if you have pets or kids jumping on the bed, it will likely happen a lot.

The bed is pretty creaky. It makes noises whenever I get on or off. But, it is mostly quiet when I turn over or move once I'm on the bed already.

Probably most important of all, this frame provides even support for my mattress. There are no spots that lead to sagging or bumps. It's quite comfortable to sleep on.

She: Fiction
She: Fiction
by Michelle Latiolais
Price: $14.24
64 used & new from $5.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Unconnected plots and unclear ending, May 22, 2016
This review is from: She: Fiction (Hardcover)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
There were parts of this book that I quite enjoyed, but other parts left me confused, and the entire novel ended abruptly with no closure at all.

I enjoyed the parts of the book about a young runaway who leaves home after years of abuse from her parents. Her outlook and actions were interesting and unique. Had that been the entire book, I would have been very pleased. Unfortunately, her story is interwoven with what seems to be a random collection of short stories. I tried and tried to find a connection between them and could find that only one of the vignettes seemed at all related to the central story. The rest just seemed like random interludes, not even necessarily taking place in the same city.

Eventually the book just stops, with no clear conclusion to the plot or apparent arc of character development or exploration. It seems like it should have been twice as long in order to continue the story.

Valeo ONE22 FIRST All-in-One Beam Wiper Blade - 22", 1 Pack
Valeo ONE22 FIRST All-in-One Beam Wiper Blade - 22", 1 Pack
Price: $16.99
2 used & new from $15.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good wiper blade, a little short, May 22, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This is a fairly standard, easy-to-attach windshield wiper. It only took me a minute or so to snap it onto my car, and is seems secure. So far it has worked well in drizzle and moderate rain.

It does seem just a little short. I held it up next to my old 22 inch wiper, and it was about an inch shorter than that one. It still fits and works fine, but it does seem strange to specify a size that isn't accurate.

If you're not sure how to attach a wiper blade, the picture instructions on the package probably won't be of much help to you. I looked them over and was a little perplexed, but since I've replaced wiper blades so many times, it wasn't an issue for me.

Reese's Snack Mix Tubes, 2 Ounce (Pack of 10)
Reese's Snack Mix Tubes, 2 Ounce (Pack of 10)
Offered by Metal-Elite
Price: $23.37
3 used & new from $23.37

4.0 out of 5 stars tastes good, but pieces are too small, May 16, 2016
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This snack mix contains peanuts, pretzels, peanut butter cups, and Reese's pieces candies (like peanut butter M&Ms). The pretzels, candy pieces, and peanuts are all very small, maybe 1/4 inch in diameter. That means the mix is really too small to easily eat with your fingers. I ended up having to pour mine into a bowl and eating it with a spoon. It tastes great, and is just the right mix of salty and sweet, but I do wish it was something that I could easily eat on the go or at work, rather than something that needs a spoon and bowl.

The size of the individual packs was just right for me, and each provided a nice-sized snack.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20