Profile for joyg > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 5

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

joyg RSS Feed

A Beautiful Bowl of Soup: The Best Vegetarian Recipes
A Beautiful Bowl of Soup: The Best Vegetarian Recipes
by Paulette Mitchell
Price: $17.04
112 used & new from $0.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Really the best, January 9, 2013
This book is really the best. The recipes are easy. The quantities are reasonable for a couple. (Who needs four quarts of soup? Yes many freeze, but I'd rather make less and eat fresh!) Most importantly, they taste good. The recipes hold true to their name. Just a few ingredients, well balanced. I don't usually make the "garnish," and I love the soups all the same.

Barefoot Contessa Foolproof: Recipes You Can Trust
Barefoot Contessa Foolproof: Recipes You Can Trust
by Ina Garten
Price: $21.00
121 used & new from $6.91

2.0 out of 5 stars Not Ina's Best, November 4, 2012
I LOVE Ina Garten. The original Barefoot Contessa cookbook is my all-time favorite. The recipes just...work. I've also really enjoyed Ina's other books. I found Back to Basics to be not quite as stellar, but Foolproof was really below Ina's usual standards, at least for me. Out of the 10 "lunch" options, 4 include shellfish, which I don't eat. An additional two are based on salmon, and one on tuna. In general I found the selection of recipes to be somewhat repetitive of previous books (I was so excited about the salted caramel brownie recipe only to find out that it's a previously published brownie recipe coated with a drizzel of purchased caramel...really). Additionally, the comments are a bit blah. I loved the earlier stories about Ina's specialty food store and experiences as a caterer. Now the tips are generic: "how to make a menu" or "how to keep it simple." I applaud Ina for wanting to keep publishing cookbooks, but she seems to be reaching the bottom of her once incredibly amazing bag of tricks.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 23, 2012 12:39 PM PST

Passover By Design Kosher Cookbook [Hardcover]
Passover By Design Kosher Cookbook [Hardcover]
by Susie Fishbein
2 used & new from $27.89

4.0 out of 5 stars great recipes but MANY repeats, April 22, 2011
While the recipes are excellent, MANY (and I do mean MANY) are repeats, verbatim, including the same photo, from other Fishbein books. As such, I'm not sure I'd spend money on the same recipes twice. However, if you don't own other Fishbein cookbooks, and you want a great Passover cookbook (I particularly love the dessert section), this is it! Note: I love Fishbein recipes, and am frustrated that the publisher deems it appropriate to reprint recipes so often (this is a problem in several Fishbein cookbooks). I'd rather pay for a smaller cookbook of genuinely new recipes than pay for a larger cookbook of repeats. It only makes me not want to purchase new Fishbein's as they come on the market...

Where the Girls Are: Growing Up Female with the Mass Media
Where the Girls Are: Growing Up Female with the Mass Media
by Susan J. Douglas
Price: $11.26
369 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars not great, April 16, 2011
Douglas's text may be enjoyable for a book club of aging baby boomers, but has little value to someone truly interested in the historical impact of media in the 1950s, 60s, and 70s on American life. She too often relies on her own memories and experiences, and grossly overestimates the impact of media like the Shirelles, over say...Civil Rights...on feminism. Additionally, she forgets that the leaders of feminism were not teens in the 1960s. Had she focused solely on media in the 1970s, its portrayal of, and impact on feminism, the credibility of the text would be greatly increased.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 17, 2012 8:57 PM PDT

The Big Sur Bakery Cookbook: A Year in the Life of a Restaurant
The Big Sur Bakery Cookbook: A Year in the Life of a Restaurant
by Catherine Price
Price: $25.69
61 used & new from $13.67

5.0 out of 5 stars beautifully written, much more than a cookbook, July 25, 2009
Beautifully written, this is much more than a cookbook. Each month contains a profile of a farmer or artist, bringing life at Big Sur...to life! Each recipe is accompanied by a short story or introduction, and I ended the year only wanting more.