Profile for Bruce B. Jones > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 18

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Bruce B. Jones RSS Feed (Dade City, FL)

Page: 1 | 2
Skinomi® TechSkin - Google Nexus 7 (2nd Generation) Screen Protector Premium HD Clear Film (2013) with Lifetime Replacement Warranty / Ultra High Definition Invisible and Anti-Bubble Crystal Shield - Retail Packaging (Model(s): Wi-Fi)
Offered by Skinomi
Price: $16.95
3 used & new from $6.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Skinomi TechSkin for the Nexus 7, January 15, 2014
This is the second time I have bought this screen protector and with no regrets. The kit and the instructions they provide are head and shoulders above many of their competitors efforts. The first time I used this product I panicked when, even with my best attempts I had many, many air bubbles. And, not just ordinary, big bubbles, but thousands of tiny, tiny bubbles. I was about ready to heave this into the trash bin and try a different product <B>But</B>, the instructions say to wait three days and they will disappear. And they did, all were gone and the plastic material itself had dried and hardened up to a smooth spotless surface. I have bought three Nexus 7's for family and friends. and this is easily the best of the different screen protectors I have tried. I am so tired of those last few bubbles or bumps from a piece of dust that seem to have gotten in so many times with iPods, iPads, Nexus 7's, PDA's that this product is such a relief for sore eyes. Would I recommend Skinomi TechSkin for the Nexus 7? Absolutly YES!!

Blasphemy (Wyman Ford Series Book 2)
Blasphemy (Wyman Ford Series Book 2)
Offered by Macmillan
Price: $9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A tense read., June 2, 2013
Preston takes a novel idea and rides to town with it! Providing several nights of reading enjoyment, this book won't disappoint you.

Cosmos Classic Camera Strap with Cable Tie (Multi-Color)
Cosmos Classic Camera Strap with Cable Tie (Multi-Color)

5.0 out of 5 stars Cosmos Classic Camera Strap with Cable Tie, September 22, 2012
After comparing a variety of straps, I bought two Cosmos Classic Camera Straps. I used one to replace the OEM strap on my Pentax K-5, and the other to replace the OEM strap on my Sony NEX-7. I had no issues installing them with either camera, the straps easily went through both camera's eyelets as the strap's width is the same as the default straps. Like other reviewers, I don't like to be a walking advertisement for the camera brand I happen to be using at the moment. We all have paid substantial amounts of money for our cameras, and then we're supposed to be walking ad's for their product? I think not... So, I look for a strap who's length can be adjusted, whose design/colors aren't in your face, and, most importantly is well built. The Cosmos Classic meets my criteria in a strap, after examining it closely I had no hesitation in trusting my cameras to it. The Pentax has the battery grip and much of the time has a 90mm f2.8 macro lens attached to it, so it's about double the default weight of the camera with the factory kit lens. Even with this added weight, I have no worries using it to carry my camera.

I only have one criticism, and it will hold for most straps so I won't take away stars for it. I wish that the strap was made with detachable sections that attach to the camera's eyelets, so I wouldn't have the strap hanging around while doing tripod work, or, when using a different type of strap what attaches at the bottom of the camera where the tripod screw attaches - such as the Black Rapid or the Cotton Carrier systems.

All-in-all, this is an attractive strap, well-made, with a reasonable price, and I have no problems recommending this strap to a friend.

Tamrac 5612 Pro 12 Camera Bag (Black)
Tamrac 5612 Pro 12 Camera Bag (Black)
Offered by Emmy Photo
Price: $149.99
5 used & new from $75.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Tamrac 5612 Pro 12 Camera Bag, July 4, 2011
This Tamrac bag is big, heavy, and holds an incredible amount of gear. I use it to carry an Olympus E600 and a Panasonic Lumix G2 with 12 extra lenses. (For both the E600 and the G2 - using Fotodiox adapters on OM lenses to the M4/3 Lumix mount) Lenses range from OM 200mm down to 28mm, and I still have space to spare. As you can see, it also has compartments for flash cards, extra batteries, manuals, and battery chargers with their cables. I haven't found a place to toss in the kitchen sink, but everything else fits without having to crunch it all together. The design of the bag, with the ability to customize the dividers, makes it easy to get to what I need very quickly. Fully loaded, it is heavy, heck, even empty it's heavy. Seems the Tamrac people followed the old farmer's saying "When in doubt, make it stout." I don't think the Tamrac folks had any doubts about the design of the bag, but it is very well built, and strong. Since I've bought the bag, I've done some traveling with it, and I have no concerns about the safety of the equipment inside it - it will arrive at the destination safe and sound, and this is worth it's weight in gold.

Another reviewer mentioned using a water repellent spray on the outside of the bag, this is very good advice. I travel to tropical rain forests, and they are called 'rain' forests for a good reason. My bag has gotten rained on, (like tropical deluge type rain...) and with the spray everything remained dry and in good condition. I use Kiwi Camp Dry, Kiwi Camp Dry, Heavy Duty Water Repellent, 12oz you get get it on Amazon.

Again, this is a BIG, well-build camera bag. (though you can use it for other things if you want) I have a Tenba Tenba 632-301 Shootout Small Backpack (Olive/Black) that I use with a Pentax system, and I hold it in high regard also. However, it does not hold all the gear that the Tamrac can.

Pentax 39687 Battery Grip BG3 (for K200D) (Retail Packaging)
Pentax 39687 Battery Grip BG3 (for K200D) (Retail Packaging)
Price: $97.62
13 used & new from $9.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Pentax Battery Grip for K200D, April 12, 2011
This is the second Pentax grip I've bought for my K200D. The first still works, sort of. This is to say it has the same problem another reviewer mentioned - it will lock the camera up. You have to remove the grip, and then any batteries in the camera body. Then you reverse the process, batteries back in, grip back on, etc. until it happens again. I've noticed that at first it seemed to happen only when I had lithium batteries in both the grip and the camera body. But now, it will happen with any type of batteries

However, that's the bad half of the story. On the positive side the grip is well made - Pentax made, strong and seems to be water resistant like the camera body. I use it a lot in my travels, as I go to Central America and take nature shots in the rain forests, and any given shot may be vertical or horizontal. This grip is great for those vertical shots, as the Pentax K200 does have some serious weight and can be uncomfortable after holding it for an extended period of time when its coupled with an older glass and metal (not plastic) telephoto lens. After the first grip started to go weird on me, I picked up a cheapo clone at half the price. It doesn't have the problem of locking up the camera, but it feels cheap, the plastic is slippery, and the on/off switch is very flimsy - it's just not Pentax quality. So I bought another Pentax grip, and this time I'll try not to use lithium batteries in it.

Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter, Olympus OM Zuiko Lens to Four Thirds Camera
Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter, Olympus OM Zuiko Lens to Four Thirds Camera
Price: $14.95
4 used & new from $13.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Fotodiox Adapter for Oly OM lenses to Oly digital cameras., April 9, 2011
This is the second Fotodiox lens adapter that I've bought, and both work flawlessly. For a long while I've had two Olympus OM lenses laying around, a 135mm and a 50mm f3.5 macro. Well I guess they felt lonesome stuck on a back shelf, and when an opportunity to buy a Lumix G1 body came up, I did. And, I got a Fotodiox adapter to mount the lenses on the G1. Well, somewhat later, I picked up an Olympus E-600 with the kit lens at a great price. By this time, I had gotten several more Oly OM lenses used on eBay - to use on the G1.

Since the Fotodiox for the G1 had worked so well, I bought the Fotodiox adapter for the OM lenses to Oly E bodies. Now, this adapter works just as well. The build is excellent, with a tight fit, not loose but not overly tight either. Mounting it on the camera, and mounting OM lenses on it feel like this adapter was made by Olympus, and fit and finish is great. Nope, it doesn't support auto-focus or auto aperture, but if you read the description of the product, you know that before you buy it. After reading two reviewer's comments, I've been checking closely the adapter, camera body lens mount, and the lenses mounting flange for any type of wear, and have yet to find any. I do quite a bit of nature photography, and Spring is a good season here in Florida. On an average day shoot here in the forests, swamps, and rural countryside, I may change lenses back and forth from telephoto to macro to wide angle 4 - 8 times during the course of the day. And, as I said earlier, I have seen no wear.

This adapter offers you the ability to use some great OM lenses with the E bodies, and at a price that's so low it's almost absurd. I can, and will, highly recommend this product.

Timber Wolf Custom Damascus Pocket Knife
Timber Wolf Custom Damascus Pocket Knife
Offered by The Jolly Store
Price: $37.80
2 used & new from $29.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice knife, excellent quality., April 9, 2011
People buy things for Christmas, called 'stocking stuffers'. Well, I bought this as a 'pocket stuffer', I wanted something nice to place in my right front pocket, and a pocket knife was a logical choice. The knife comes sharpened, and under moderate, but careful use, has stayed sharp. And, when I say 'sharpened' I mean it is very, very sharp. Not as sharp as some ceramic kitchen knives I have, but darn close. This pleased me as a dull knife is both useless and dangerous. It is good looking, opens and folds easily, and stays closed until you actually want to open it. Just as important, the knife's locking mechanism is well built and quite strong, yet easy to use. It won't accidentally close in on you while holding it. The useful part of the blade - the sharpened part - is just 2" long, and the knife itself is just 3" If this knife was any smaller, it would be too small for a person with large hands. As is, with small or medium sized hands it is just comfortable. All-in-all, this knife give good value for the dollar spent.

Pentax SMCP-FA 100mm Macro f/3.5, 1:0.5 Magnification with Case
Pentax SMCP-FA 100mm Macro f/3.5, 1:0.5 Magnification with Case

5.0 out of 5 stars A good lens, not a great lens., April 9, 2011
It would be nice to have the funds to buy Pentax's high-end macro, but if you want or need to take macro shots on a budget, this lens will do. Actually, it's more of an 'very close closeup lens' than a macro with 1:1. And, it's nowhere near as sharp as Pentax's 100mm f2.8 macro. So, it's more like close closeups for the masses at a reasonable price. Looking at it in this manner, Pentax has hit a home run with this lens, affordable with decent quality in image resolution and build.

This lens does not have the color saturation or contrast of it's high-end big brother. But, if your shot is well focused, and the subject (or you) didn't move, then post processing in Photoshop will allow you to compensate for the lens limitations, Unsharp mask and Hue and Saturation will be of help. This lens is soft at f3.5, better to use f4 or, even better, f5.6 if you can.

Bottom line is, this lens won't disappoint you if you don't place unreasonable expectations on it. I'm not sure how much longer you will be able to find this lens on Amazon, but if you do find it and you are under budget constraints, you may want to give it serious consideration.

Neewer® High Capacity BLS-1 / PS-BLS1 Replacement Lithium-Ion Battery for Olympus PEN E-PL1 E-PM1 EP3 EPL3 Evolt E-420 E-620 E-450 E-400 E-410 Digital SLR Cameras
Offered by New Harbor
Price: $11.25
13 used & new from $6.26

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent way to save money, April 9, 2011
So far, so good. This battery works well - seems to hold it's charge after charge, and provides as much power as the OEM battery. The price is right, so if you need one or more backup batteries, this will do the job. I will look at this battery again in a year, as I have only had it for a little while, to see how it holds up in the long term. Still, this battery is about 1/6th the cost of the Olympus battery.

Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter, Olympus OM Zuiko Lens to Micro 4/3 Olympus PEN and Panasonic Lumix Cameras
Price: $21.25
2 used & new from $16.32

5.0 out of 5 stars Fotodiox Adapter for the Lumix G1, December 29, 2010
I picked up a Lumix G1 here on Amazon, body only. The lack of affordable lenses from Panasonic is a turn-off, so I got the Fotodiox adapter and then picked up some older but good Olympus lenses on eBay. My primary interest is in nature closeups, so I looked for, and found, an Olympus OM 50mm F3.5 Auto-Macro lens for just $55.00 in perfect condition. Now, yes you don't have auto focus with this adapter, but in most cases in macro-photography you are using manual focus anyway. Well, after the lens arrived, I attached the adapter and lens to the G1, and it works just incredibly well. The adapter is very well machined, everything fits and feels like it was designed for each other. Nothing is loose, nor binding tight, just right. And, the price for the Fotodiox is right!! After I played with it for a while, I recommended it to a family member who has a G1 and a bunch of Olympus OM lenses, and she is happy with it too. Just remember in the G1 Custom setup screen to have the "Shoot W/O Lens" set to 'ON', otherwise you will get an error message when you turn on the camera, "Please check that the lens is attached correctly" Great quality, great price.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 7, 2014 4:10 PM PDT