Profile for Jesus follower > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 21

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Jesus follower RSS Feed (Temple, PA United States)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3
Born Free [Original Motion Picture Score]
Born Free [Original Motion Picture Score]
Price: $24.15
23 used & new from $17.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Grab it before it dissapears, July 11, 2013
Any soundtrack lover knows the music to Born Free! The film is excellent! Any 'score buff' watching the movie will appreciate this. It is important to note that the film itself is in mono but this soundtrack is in stereo! So it sounds even better here on CD. I listen to this a-lot. Strangely this is out of print.

Concert Spectacular / American Scene
Concert Spectacular / American Scene
Price: $22.18
13 used & new from $11.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Mantovani, July 2, 2013
I played the record to 'American Scene' more than any other record! It is the best album! It combines jumpy and thriving Americana with quiet relaxing pieces. Those quiet ones I feel are the most relaxing pieces of music I've ever heard! I almost always play the 'American Scene' every summer. I was so happy to finally find this and hear it without scratches!

The Concert Spectacular is very good also! Both of these recordings sound great! The Stereo separation is especially noticeable! This is a great deal because it is actually 2 albums on 1 long CD

Tecmo Baseball - Nintendo NES
Tecmo Baseball - Nintendo NES
Offered by Video Games Exchange
Price: $61.95
68 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars It is NES and retro but it is Fun!, June 30, 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I played this game growing up. I tried to find it recently. I am glad I got it again. The gameplay is so much better than 'Bases Loaded' or MLB. It is NES and retro but it is Fun! Most newer baseball games have much more, but they are not fun and it takes you forever to figure them out!

Secret Garden, The (1949)
Secret Garden, The (1949)
DVD ~ Margaret O'Brien
Price: $18.98
29 used & new from $13.11

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Child Performances, June 30, 2013
This review is from: Secret Garden, The (1949) (DVD)
I don't recall seeing such excellent performances by children.

The wonderful story really puts you into the thoughts of a young child. The themes of the film are wonderful:
Moving on from the grief of the death of a loved one.
Letting go of the past and moving on to the future.
Growing up.
Healing.

While this film is a good drama, its also noteworthy that there are many funny scenes. One kid throws a tantrum and throws things, while another walks in and tries to stop him by also screaming and throwing things. It is a brilliant scene.

This DVD looks and sounds better than most Warner Archives. Some look too soft.

Romans (Geneva Series of Commentaries)
Romans (Geneva Series of Commentaries)
by Robert Haldane
Edition: Library Binding
Price: $28.95
28 used & new from $19.11

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Commentary, text is too small, June 30, 2013
This exposition of Romans, along with John Murray's are the best 2 books you can buy on Romans. Haldane is not long-winded and yet very thorough.

This Geneva Series (the white and red cover) has font that is too small. If you can find another one, maybe the font will be a little bigger.

Les Misérables
Les Misérables
DVD ~ Hugh Jackman
Price: $4.99
42 used & new from $0.90

5.0 out of 5 stars I personally have never seen so much drama in a musical, June 30, 2013
This review is from: Les Misérables (DVD)
Take any 15 minutes from this musical film and compare it to any entire film or Broadway adaption of Les Miserables and this musical blows them all away! I had the pleasure of comparing the Broadway CD (I picked up recently at goodwill) and these performances are leagues above the broadway production. There may be better singing voices in the Broadway performances, but they are too artificial and polished. What this musical does in spades is grab you with so much heartfelt emotion. Many songs the performers do while they are crying! They pause and get choked up while the music waits for them! I personally have never seen so much drama in a musical. Annne Hathway's song has to be the most dramatic song in musical history. Those gut wrenching 4 minutes gave her an academy award. Jackman and Hathway both lost their weight and hair just for their roles! This cast is amazing!

The production, photography and basically everything are excellent! My only complaint is as a follower of Jesus, I am uncomfortable watching the foulness during the song by Sacha Bara Coen. I skip that part for it does nothing to advance the story anyways.

Man of Steel
Man of Steel
Offered by MUSICROCKSUSA
Price: $18.26
55 used & new from $7.48

2.0 out of 5 stars John Williams does Melodies, Zimmer forgot about them, June 24, 2013
This review is from: Man of Steel (Audio CD)
I appreciated John Williams with Superman. Its one of the best scores to a film ever. But Hans Zimmer does not know what a Melody is. He cant get past 4 notes! Whatever happened to a Theme!! The Batman Theme that Zimmer does is 2 lousy notes. I liked the Batman Theme by Danny Elfman much better.

I have some of Hans Zimmer's CD's. He is talented, but lately no way! 'Inception' is a great score, its so good that you can actually accept that mess of a movie and swallow it! But our culture is so different now than it was in 1978 with the 1st Superman with Christopher Reeve. Maybe we cant blame it ALL on Zimmer, but years ago he even knew what a melody was: Rain Man, Driving Miss Daisy, The Lion King!! What happened? Zimmer did the music for 'The Bible' series and it was so blah and unmemorable, that I was ashamed that his name was revealed in the end credits.

The best score that Zimmer did was 'Thin Red Line' Very wonderfully played and Dramatic. Another good one is MI2 Mission Impossible 2, good action score that has themes and melodies!!

Maybe Zimmer is too busy and needs some time off.
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 2, 2013 10:17 AM PDT

Indiana Jones: The Complete Adventures (Raiders of the Lost Ark / Temple of Doom / Last Crusade / Kingdom of the Crystal Skull) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Harrison Ford
Offered by Warehouse Deals 4 Less
Price: $39.02
97 used & new from $27.54

5.0 out of 5 stars Box Set is very nice, September 19, 2012
All of the films look very crisp and sound awesome(DTS)! The packaging is very nice and has some neat artwork that I never saw.Some people have been fussy with how 'Raiders' looked, but they fail to remember the age of the film;some of the matte painting shots are blurry. But they all never looked and sounded better!

I am a fan of these films, I saw Raiders last week in IMAX. I feel it is the best Action Adventure of all time! Nobody can top the technical significance of the 'Truck chase' in Raiders!

The 'Temple of Doom' is a close 2nd. It has the most awesome 40 minute finale in the history of film! It goes so low (dark,violent) and rises so high out of it with wall to wall rousing scenes.

'The Last Crusade' is the most sentimental of all of the films. Without Sean Connery, it is kinda too ordinary, but its good fun!

Because I am an Indy fan, I still like 'Crystal Skull' but I certainly call it the weakest of the 4. I think they all progressively get worse, but they are all good films. If you watch the DOC's Spielberg is apologizing that he didnt want to do aliens! Too much CGI!! Ford was 65 in the last film, but he worked great! The material was the problem! The crew got too lazy and forgot how to properly do an action film like the others! 'Crystal Skull' and 'The Lost World' are OK films, but since they have Steven Speilberg's name attached to them, they are not good!

The extras are alot of fun. There is a new 1 hour DOC on Raiders that is so cool! It shows fun deleted scenes and outtakes in HD!.

Indy paid homage to the Action serials. Now current action films are a garbled mess. You cant tell what is goin on. New filmmakers need to study the 'truck chase' in Raiders so they know how to do an effective and digestible action scene.

John Williams is such a big part of the significance of these films. Especially Temple of doom. I am sad that movies like these are something we have to dig for, because the 'new' movies just don't get it!

Works of Thomas Manton, Volume 3
Works of Thomas Manton, Volume 3
by Thomas Manton
Price: $25.00
20 used & new from $12.48

5.0 out of 5 stars Thessalonians AntiChrist and Isaiah 53, September 3, 2012
Great stuff. 2 Thessalonians 2 and Isaiah 53. I was moved as I read through this. Manton was a great teacher and preacher. Keep in mind he is not afraid to talk about the papacy in Thessalonians!! Too bad everyone is afraid today

Inception (Two-Disc Edition) [Blu-ray]
Inception (Two-Disc Edition) [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Leonardo DiCaprio
Price: $9.37
235 used & new from $0.38

2.0 out of 5 stars If 'Inception' is our style today, what will be our style in 5 or 10 years?, September 3, 2012
Lets get the good points over with 1st: Good acting,creative, good score

I am very fussy with action movies today. After seeing this film, I am very much in a hurry to see 'Raiders of the Lost Ark' in the theaters. Why, because I am afraid I will never see an ordinary, traditional, digestible action film on the big screen anymore! I am afraid that 'The Matrix' started this mess! The batmobile/cycle chase in Dark Knight (same Director) is a good action sequence that you can find in a new film nowadays. But 'Inception' is just a mess! "Oh No! The subconscience people are attacking!!"

It's just thrown at your face too fast and too close to digest or appreciate it!! Why cant I understand it while its happening instead of finding out later?? Do I have to watch it again or go on Wicipedia to find out the plot that I cant swallow but keep spitting out? Well, I dont know If I want to see it again...too bad I bought it!! A few iconic tweaks may have helped this tremendously: Like a different music theme for a different dream layer. The editing and layout of the movie just didnt work!...I guess I'm old fashioned!
The story is a problem with this movie! Maybe the story looks better on the page! There was something really wrong with the translation of the material to the screen. Years ago this would have been unacceptable. But I guess people were saying things like me here when seeing Hitchcock's Vertigo in 1958.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3