Profile for longislandbob > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 6

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

longislandbob RSS Feed

Planes, Trains & Eric [Blu-ray]
Planes, Trains & Eric [Blu-ray]
DVD ~ Eric Clapton
Price: $13.39
34 used & new from $7.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Old Time fan, really likes this one!, November 6, 2014
I just received and finished watching my EC DVD. I didn`t have high expectations, reading the set list beforehand, and reading a reviewer previously, who thought Eric was going thru the motions, I was prepared for a ho-hum, dry film. I can say that I was very pleasantly surprised, and really enjoyed this one. I have been a fan for over 40 years, ever since I started seriously getting into music. He is the main reason I took up the guitar 35 years ago. In the last 10 to 15 years, despite being a hard working musician, Clapton has admittedly become artistically "lazy" ( his words) it`s why he hasn`t written many songs lately. And at times he does seem at times to be going thru the motions and unwilling to push his talents. Happily that is not the case here, he definitely is not going thru the motions. He plays some superb solo`s and plays with verve. So this makes up for the standard material ( it would be great if he came up with some new songs tailor made for the concert experience). I could do without Tears in heaven ( a beautiful song, but too much of a downer for a live concert) and also Cocaine. But the solo on I Shot The Sheriff is great, that song always brings out his talents, and he goes above and beyond on this one! I think these performances really shine in the DVD mode, as opposed to seeing him in an arena. His setlist really is made for a club or theatre situation, so the film puts you front and center, so you can appreciate it more as opposed to sitting in Madison Square Garden 200 feet away. Also the behind the scenes really gives a feeling of comraderie and closeness Eric has with his bandmates. You can see what a nice guy Clapton is. He is very close with the Japanese Promoter, Mr. Udo. I think this film captures something, basically that Eric can still really play, and that he`s a nice guy. So this longtime EC fan really appreciates it and gives it a thumbs up!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 31, 2014 5:37 AM PST

The Last Waltz (Special Edition)
The Last Waltz (Special Edition)
DVD ~ Robbie Robertson
Price: $10.18
93 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars love it!, November 30, 2013
This is a great concert film. Forget all the behind the scenes politics, most bands have many stories of animous between members, but we usually don`t know about it. The movie stands on it`s own as a time capsule of great musicians playing great songs. All we have to do is enjoy it.

Old Sock
Old Sock
Offered by NO1122
Price: $8.88
77 used & new from $2.50

3.0 out of 5 stars too slick, March 13, 2013
This review is from: Old Sock (Audio CD)
As a longtime clapton guy(I`ve got everything,plus bootlegs) I enjoy all styles of clapton music,pop reggae blues blues rock.But there is good and bad of all kinds of music,I loved the stuff he did with marsalis,cause he was pushed artistically and EC responds to that also it was basically recorded with a few mikes in the concert hall.Which is one of the problems Clapton has had beginning with Pilgrim,His mixes seem to more often than not have a glossed over feel with the vocals overcompressed and way upfront.Which seems to take the human element away.I see Simon Climie listed in the production credits and he mixed the album.Clapton should never use Climie again.Clapton needs to take the blame also.I think the effort is there,but he`s misguided.I don`t know if Russ Titelman is still around,he produced Journeyman and from the cradle.Clapton desperately needs a strong producer.A producer in music is basically like a director in movies.Gotta get over is good and still got the blues,and I think some of the reggae might be livened up in concert,when he tours.But overall it doen`t flow,and the mix is too glossy fake sounding.Which kills me cause anyone whose seen clapton live knows he`s the real deal.Clapton still has tremendous skill as a guitar player.It stinks when your music hero keeps underachieving.Pilgrim,Reptile,Back home,Old sock are at best inconsistent mediocre albums (back home is unlistenable).Clapton and The road to escondido are ok,really liked the marsalis project,love his live shows he`s been doing.But his old time fans need something better than this.I gave it three stars as opposed to two,out of respect,but it`s really a two.Mellow is fine,but he needs to take a page out of mark knoepflers book.
Comment Comments (10) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 4, 2014 11:46 AM PDT

Bringing It Back Home
Bringing It Back Home
Price: $11.88
38 used & new from $7.72

2.0 out of 5 stars great guitar player,could use a singer, March 11, 2013
This review is from: Bringing It Back Home (Audio CD)
I`ve come to the conclusion after being into robben for 25 years,that I love his guitar playing,but his vocals don`t do it for me at all now.He needs someone else to sing.I love when he plays with his brothers.If you like his voice give it 4 stars,if not 2.Robben get a vocalest or cut an instrumental album.

Another Ticket
Another Ticket
Offered by megahitrecords
Price: $16.99
29 used & new from $6.18

5.0 out of 5 stars a mix that works, November 26, 2011
This review is from: Another Ticket (Audio CD)
this is one of my favorite clapton albums,and I have them all plus some boots.The songs work great as a piece of work that fits together.this epitomizes what clapton wanted to become after the sixties,great musicianship without hitting you in the head with it.tom dowd production,subtlety at it`s best.I would love for clapton to try something in this vain in 2012.A real good heartfelt album by good musicians having fun.With good understated production.Which I think has been claptons biggest problem later on,being overproduced.Simon climie UGHHHH.but doyle did agood job on 2011`s clapton.

Wynton Marsalis & Eric Clapton Play The Blues
Wynton Marsalis & Eric Clapton Play The Blues
Price: $11.99
73 used & new from $4.00

5.0 out of 5 stars live music as it should be!, September 15, 2011
given the choice between a recording that captures a moment,or a more polished studio recording.I`ll take the former.these guys are jamming and having fun.The beauty is you know this is real players,not a cut and paste job.Like so many modern"musicians".Ensemble playing is about weaving together,laying back at times,then cutting through at others.All the players are outstanding,including clapton.And clapton`s vocals are great.reading the setlist,I thought do we need another version of Layla.But this song is one of my favorites on the cd,clapton`s vocal phrasing is great.Music is about capturing a moment.this is a great cd.