Profile for Christina Kay > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 17

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Christina Kay RSS Feed (Florida)

Page: 1 | 2
Running: Getting Started
Running: Getting Started
by Jeff Galloway
Price: $11.83
87 used & new from $0.69

4.0 out of 5 stars Great advice for getting started with running!, November 29, 2009
I have been running for about three months now, and recently became interested in Jeff Galloway's training methods. I picked up a few of his books, including this one. Running: Getting Started gives the reader a thorough introduction to the sport of running and Jeff Galloway's "run/walk/run" approach. It covers a variety of important subjects, such as buying running shoes, how to start training, cross-training, nutrition, running form, dealing with different weather conditions, aches and pains, motivation, and running at different ages. There are many nuggets of wisdom and practical advice. The book is attractively presented with glossy pages and color pictures.

There are a couple of minor downsides and watch-outs. The writing style is a little clumsy in parts, but not to the point that it's distracting. It's also worth noting that this book is clearly aimed at the beginning runner. If you're more of an experienced runner looking for insight into Jeff Galloway's techniques or his advice on training for a race, you are probably better off buying Galloway's Book on Running or one of his books designed for race training (5K and 10K, half marathon, marathon, etc.)

I'm very happy I bought this book, and it has given me a lot of useful insights that I have been able to apply to my training. Jeff Galloway's training techniques are helping me run longer distances at a good pace WITHOUT feeling exhausted!

Fisher-Price Elmo's Restaurant
Fisher-Price Elmo's Restaurant
4 used & new from $199.99

4.0 out of 5 stars My 22-month-old son loves this!, December 30, 2008
I was looking for an affordable and not-too-pink toy kitchen for my son, and was happy to find Elmo's Restaurant. This toy kitchen features the Sesame Street characters, as you can clearly see from the pictures, and includes a wide variety of fun accessories - play food, a frying pan, dishes, and money. The kitchen makes fun sounds when you open and close the cabinet doors, put the pan on the stove, ring the bell, take the spatula in and out of Elmo's hand, take the menu in and out of Grover's hand, and open and close the cash register. There is also a microphone on the side of the register that my son can talk into. He is fascinated by this set and can sit and play with it for an hour - and that's a lot for such a little guy! The kitchen has a decent amount of storage space for the accessories, although I would have liked to see shelves in the cabinets to make it easier to organize everything. The kitchen was very easy to assemble. I had it out of the box and ready for my son to use within five minutes.

The main downside to it is that the sounds may be fun for a toddler and can drive a parent crazy! There is no volume knob, but thankfully there is an off switch. Volume control would have been nice. Also, this set does look very plastic (since it is) and if you aren't into character toys, this one probably isn't for you. The Sesame Street characters are ALL OVER this set, and a lot of the sounds are their voices. As for durability, it seems about in line with the typical Fisher Price toys. Not brilliant, but not terrible either.

I also want to note that the descriptions say it has a pot that you can put on the stove to make bubbling sounds. There is no pot in this set, just a frying pan. That doesn't take away from my son's enjoyment of his new kitchen though!

This kitchen set met the grade for us. Affordable and lots of fun for my little boy!

Peekaboo Farm (Touch-And-Feel Action Flap Book)
Peekaboo Farm (Touch-And-Feel Action Flap Book)
by Charlie Gardner
Edition: Board book
Price: $6.29
160 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Baby loves the flaps and textures!, April 22, 2008
My young toddler loves lift-the-flap style board books, and this is one of his current favorites. The stars of the books are sweet, lovable toy farm animals, and the story hides the animals behind durable cardboard flaps for baby to lift and play "peekaboo." Each animal also has a little panel of textured material - soft, smooth, rough - for baby to explore with his hands. The colors are bright and inviting, and it's an attractive book to enjoy together. I highly recommend it!

Fisher-Price Laugh & Learn Love to Play Puppy
Fisher-Price Laugh & Learn Love to Play Puppy
Price: $15.51
135 used & new from $7.99

3.0 out of 5 stars This puppy is cute...but kind of creepy, September 29, 2007
My mother bought this puppy for my son a few months ago because she thought it looked adorable and that it would be a great way for my DS to get started with learning colors, body parts, ABCs, and other things. There's a learning mode which features the body parts and ABCs and a fun mode which features songs like "Head, Shoulders, Knees and Toes" and the poem "This little puppy went to market." The puppy is soft and has lots of bright, cheerful colors on it.

However, I agree with other reviewers that say it is WAY too snsitive. Before my son was old enough to play with the puppy, it sat in a closet in a quiet spare bedroom. Every once in a while I would hear it randomly say something or start singing a song. My husband and I joked that it was possessed! Also, I am finding that my son doesn't really seem that interested in playing with it. It could be just one of those quirky things where some kids would love it and my son happens not to. And maybe he is too busy chasing after the real-life dogs that live with us! I was pretty disappointed in this toy and it was not a good buy for us.

Your Baby's First Year: Week By Week (Your Pregnancy Series), Second Edition
Your Baby's First Year: Week By Week (Your Pregnancy Series), Second Edition
by Glade B. Curtis
450 used & new from $0.01

2.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to like this book...but..., September 2, 2007
During my pregnancy, Your Pregnancy Week By Week was my constant companion. I looked forward to reading the chapters for each week, learning about my baby's development, and considering different baby-related issues as my pregnancy progressed. The book was user friendly, cleanly laid-out, and easy to follow. Logically, as I was looking for books about infant care, I considered Your Baby's First Year Week By Week.

The layout of the book was similar to Your Pregnancy Week By Week. It included the familiar weekly chapters containing useful nibbles of information about what to expect from my baby and what kind of care to offer him. It covers a wide variety of issues, including baby gear, bathing, diapering, pets and babies, and all the things you would expect from a comprehensive parenting "manual."

However, as I dove below the surface a bit, I was disturbed at some of the content and appalled at some of the blatant errors I found in there. The most shocking example was in reference to the care of uncircumcised baby boys. The authors advise parents to gently retract a baby's foreskin to clean. Every reliable medical source, including the American Academy of Pediatrics, states clearly: don't ever retract a boy's foreskin, as forcible retraction could potentially lead to problems later in baby boy's life. I was also very upset to see the authors' take on breastfeeding, which again contradicted the official positions of the AAP and the World Health Organization. If Your Baby's First Year Week By Week can't even provide reliable information on these two fundamental infant care themes, then I don't feel inclined to trust the knowledge of the authors in any other matters.

In the end, I put this book back on the shelf and opted instead for a copy of Dr. Sears' Baby Book. I would strongly advise any expectant or new mother to give Your Baby's First Year Week by Week a miss.

Philips AVENT Isis On The Go Set
Philips AVENT Isis On The Go Set

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful way to go if you want a manual pump!, June 11, 2007
I exclusively pump for my three-month-old son, and I normally use a double electric pump, but I wanted to purchase a manual pump for the times that I was out and about and didn't want to drag my electric pump along. Also, since my son and I are unable to nurse successfully and I wasn't thrilled with the idea of hand expression, I wanted a back-up in the event that my electric pump was out of commission. After talking to other new moms and doing some research, I settled on this pump. I felt good about the Avent brand and was excited to try this.

I liked that this pump came as a kit with an insulated bag (compact, about the size of a small lunch box), four bottles to pump into, and cool packs to keep the milk chilled. It literally is a complete on-the-go set!

There was a bit of a learning curve in using the pump and the first couple of times I tried it I'll admit to feeling uncoordinated and a bit frustrated with it! However, once I got the hang of it, pumping and getting amazing output was VERY easy. If I pump approximately 15 minutes per side, I get only a little bit less than I do with 15 minutes of double electric pumping. The design allows me to easily control the suction and speed of pumping, and it is fairly comfortable. It does come with a silicone cushion insert that is supposed to make pumping feel more like breastfeeding, but I did find it more comfortable to take it out. I have never felt sore after using this pump.

The only minor problem I have with it is that, if I get too intense with the suction, the valve at the bottom of the assembly pops out and I have to reassemble the pump before continuing. Also, the valve, essential to the pump's functioning correctly, seems like it might be easy to lose - luckily Avent sells replacements.

This is not necessarily an everyday or heavy-duty pump since it can be tiring to use and you can only pump one side at a time, making pumping sessions longer than you'd have with a double pump. A plus is that if you want to pump discreetly at work or in a more public setting, this pump is super quiet (unlike any electric) and portable.

Medela Quick Clean Micro-Steam Bags
Medela Quick Clean Micro-Steam Bags
Price: $5.97
49 used & new from $1.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Quick, easy way to sterilize!, June 10, 2007
I am an exclusive pumper, so every day I pump 6x (and clean the parts every time) and also have to sterilize bottles. It was getting to be a hassle setting up a pot of boiling water every time I wanted to clean pump parts and bottle nipples!! I saw these in the stores and was a little skeptical (also thought they seemed a little pricey) but decided to give them a shot. And I was so happy I did! A little water, two minutes in the microwave, and I have sparkling clean pump parts and bottles. A set of five bags gives you 100 times in the microwave. My son is three months old and I am still on the first set of bags that I bought! Looking back, I feel like I definitely got my money's worth. I would recommend this product for sure.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 5, 2014 11:41 AM PST

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Efficient, economical pump!, June 10, 2007
I am a mother to a three-month old baby boy, and because we had many problems nursing, I pump exclusively for him, meaning that a durable, efficient pump is an absolute MUST-HAVE for me. I purchased the Lansinoh double electric pump recently after the demise of my old Medela Pump in Style. I was interested in using this pump because I had good experiences with other Lansinoh products and I was in the market for an affordable but durable double electric pump. This pump has not disappointed me!

One thing that I love about this pump is that the design makes it easy to clean and maintain. Milk cannot back up into the tubing, which is a big plus. One minor downside: there are a couple of smallish parts in the assembly (namely the silicone diaphragms that fit in the top of the two flanges) which I could see getting dropped or lost pretty easily at some point in the future. Spare parts are not as readily available in a retail store as the Pump in Style parts, but can be ordered off the manufacturer's website.

I also appreciate that this pump is compact, making it fairly portable. It does not come with any kind of case or bag, but I was fine with it since I found a lot of the breast pump bags overly bulky (not to mention they just kind of looked like breast pump bags...) It has the options of plugging into the wall or using 8 AAA batteries if you are on the go.

The pump is very easy to use. I agree with reviewer that the suction is not as strong as it could be. The Medela suction is probably a bit better. However, the performance of the two pumps is comparable: I can still express the same amount of milk in the same amount of time as with the Medela Pump in Style. I get more than enough to give my son all breastmilk every day.

I would highly recommend this pump to any new mother who would like to pump regularly (even exclusively) but does not necessarily want to pay the Medela price tag.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 19, 2008 8:53 AM PDT

Baby Bach
Baby Bach
66 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Relaxing music for baby's bedtime, April 26, 2007
This review is from: Baby Bach (Audio CD)
While I do want my baby to listen to Bach's music played with "real" instruments in an authentic style (which Baby Bach is NOT), Baby Bach is a very sweet, soothing selection of music. My newborn son and I both find this music very relaxing and it works like a charm to calm him down at bedtime! I would recommend this CD to any parent looking for new music to add to a baby's or young child's bedtime routine.

Eddie Bauer Musical Rocking Bassinet
Eddie Bauer Musical Rocking Bassinet

3.0 out of 5 stars This bassinet is pretty...but has some issues, March 9, 2007
We just got this bassinet for our newborn son and it is working fairly well for our needs, but I am giving it three stars because it has a few issues that may disappoint potential buyers.

First, the positive. The design is gorgeous! It appealed to me because a lot of the bassinets out there look kind of frilly and not particularly suitable for a baby boy. The wood frame seems sturdy and I like the neutral colors of the design. Also convenient is the shelf beneath the bassinet itself - it's great for storing diapers, clothes, and extras. The bed is roomy and our baby seems quite comfortable napping in there.

One major drawback is that the size of the mattress is too large to fit most standard bassinet sheets you would buy in the store. Luckily I have a creative mother who has made us some sheets for it. However if you are not a sewer and/or not interested in finding creative ways to cover the mattress, you may want to pass on this one.

The music isn't super great, but I wasn't really in this for the music anyway. Our solution to bad music is just not to use it, but if you are looking for soothing music to go with your bassinet this is probably not the one for you.

Also, my mother and husband were somehow under the impression that this bassinet rocks itself since it is a "rocking" bassinet. Just be warned that this is not the case!! If you want to rock the bassinet you must do it yourself! Many users have also commented that the lock to stop the bassinet from rocking is poor and that they find their babies bunched up in the sides or corners after some time. We haven't found this to be the case, as it seems more or less stable.

A final drawback is that the assembly of the unit was quite difficult. Even my husband, who is very good with handyman tasks, found it a challenge to figure out how exactly to bolt the swinging bed to the outer frame.

Page: 1 | 2