Automotive Deals Best Books of the Month Shop Women's Clothing Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Enter for the chance to win front row seats to Barbra Streisand Water Sports
Profile for RPM > Reviews

Browse

RPM's Profile

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

RPM RSS Feed

Paulina & Fran: A Novel
Paulina & Fran: A Novel
by Rachel B. Glaser
Price: $11.07
73 used & new from $1.57

5.0 out of 5 stars I love this novel, September 12, 2015
I love this novel. It's fast, funny, sexy, and strange. Glaser's observations and dialogue are sparkling and original. A wonderful, hip, short novel.

The Child Garden (S.F. Masterworks)
The Child Garden (S.F. Masterworks)
by Geoff Ryman
31 used & new from $6.55

4.0 out of 5 stars Odd and Beautiful, August 31, 2011
This is a strange and, at times, difficult book. I found the character of Milena gripping. The structure of the book worried me, but at the end I was satisfied, if heartbroken. It's true, if you're looking for a plot driven sf novel, look elsewhere, this is a character driven novel that follows an emotional plot. If you want a beautifully told meditation on love, childhood, art, and death, as well as a fascinating and original fantasy, then please try this book. You'll, at the very least, be astounded by Ryman's imagination.

Tweak: Growing Up on Methamphetamines
Tweak: Growing Up on Methamphetamines
by Nic Sheff
Price: $13.93
257 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Poorly written, a shame., September 12, 2008
I didn't finish this book. Not because I wasn't interested in the subject, but because the writing left me frustrated. I found the author's repetition of the phrase "or whatever..." to be very distracting. The book seemed to have been published after only one draft, and I didn't care about any person in it. Another "quirk" seemed to be a kind of laziness in the writing (though, as we get to know the author's tastes and heroes, it is understandable). Some examples of this are his constant use of the word "some" after such statements as 'it had begun to rain, or he had stopped crying or vomiting'. The same goes for "things". The word seemed to end every list of objects in the book. To me, these are small problems that could have been fixed by an editor. Perhaps, all involved were trying to portray the author as a scrappy Gen-Xer with no time on his hands to tune up his work, instead of keeping the reader at a distance by creating muddy prose. Fine, but after a hundred pages of this sort of thing, it wears thin. Mr. Sheff lost me, and therefore, I learned nothing from his tale.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 14, 2008 12:19 PM PDT