Profile for Leina R. Mojica > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 10

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Leina R. Mojica "lanewayne" RSS Feed (San Jose, CA)

Phantoms [VHS]
Phantoms [VHS]
VHS
Offered by Hawking Books
Price: $0.99
56 used & new from $0.25

2.0 out of 5 stars A blah movie, March 5, 2000
This review is from: Phantoms [VHS] (VHS Tape)
After watching "Still Breathing" and becoming an instant fan of the luminously beautiful Joanna Going, I went out and bought a used copy of "Phatoms." I paid eight dollars for this movie---and I wish I had found it cheaper elsewhere.
This movie is mediocre. My friend and I talked throughout the whole film, making fun of everything. But for some reason, I guess because this movie is so cheeseball, it scared us more than all of the "Scream" movies put together. Low expectations can work wonders.
Ben Affleck couldn't save this movie. We wanted Rose McGowan's character to die. And as for Ms. Going, she was wasted here. Somehow, they managed to make her look very sickly and plain.
So... watch this at your own risk.

Still Breathing (1998 Film)
Still Breathing (1998 Film)
17 used & new from $26.98

5.0 out of 5 stars Music as lovely as the movie itself, February 24, 2000
I bought this cd within 24 hours of watching "Still Breathing." The fond memories of Roz and Fletcher and the green ivy were brought back to life so vividly as I listened to the cd for the first time, in my car, sitting in traffic.
I bought the cd just for the score pieces. The songs are wonderful, but Paul Mills's score is one of the reasons why I cried at the end of the movie. And that marked the first time I've ever cried because of a happy ending.
"Still Breathing" is a movie like no other. The film's soundtrack is a soundtrack like no other.

Different Light
Different Light
Offered by btrdev
Price: $24.95
82 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars An incredible album, February 5, 2000
This review is from: Different Light (Audio CD)
This is an incredible album with a lot of cool and interesting songs, like "Not Like You" and "In a Different Light." Vicki and Debbi Peterson rock!... Of Susanna's songs, I have to lean towards the one written by Prince: "Manic Monday." I can't help it; it's a song I grew up listening to. A very pretty song... I think Michael really shines here with her playful rendition of "September Gurls". Also, her voice has a really dark tone, making "Following" one of the most moving songs I've ever heard... "Let It Go" is the best song and, disappointingly, also the shortest. Their four-part harmony here is brilliant.

Supergirl [VHS]
Supergirl [VHS]
VHS
Offered by videovaultdotcom
Price: $15.50
18 used & new from $3.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Bad Video Quality, Good Movie, February 4, 2000
This review is from: Supergirl [VHS] (VHS Tape)
I bought this video so I wouldn't have to wait for the movie to play on tv, and I was so disappointed in the quality of the video. It is unbelievably bad---the heavily edited tv-version has way better picture quality.
About the movie itself: The one thing I really liked about this movie was how Kara changed into Linda Lee. She didn't need a phonebooth; I think she just willed her appearance to change. Not only did her costume become a school uniform, her hair turned brown! That was so cool.
Although the other characters annoy me so badly, I've watched this movie countless times because of Ms. Slater's portrayal of Kara... And get this, I first watched "Supergirl" at the movies when I was in the second grade. That's like fifteen years ago! I've been a huge fan of this movie ever since.

Bellezza Vocale: Beautiful Opera Duets
Bellezza Vocale: Beautiful Opera Duets
29 used & new from $3.86

5.0 out of 5 stars Just beautiful, January 29, 2000
I bought this cd three weeks ago and felt that I had to give it like forty listenings before writing a review...and I am please to say that I thoroughly enjoyed all forty listenings of this cd. Ms. Hong's delicate high voice contrasted perfectly with Ms. Larmore's powerful low voice. This a wonderful example of the way duets written for soprano and mezzo are supposed to sound. "Barcarolle" is definitely my pick of the compilation---it's sung so peacefully and calmly. And I really enjoyed the Hansel und Gretel lullaby. Mozart fans out there will not be disappointed by "Non ci pentiam...Ah perdona al primo affetto" from La clemenza di Tito... Ah, just wonderful, just beautiful.

Buffy The Vampire Slayer: The Album (1999 Television Series)
Buffy The Vampire Slayer: The Album (1999 Television Series)
Offered by CAC Media
Price: $27.49
36 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Good soundtrack, November 19, 1999
First of all, the drawbacks: a.)"Wild Horses" is an extremely old and horrible song---I wish another song had played during that prom dance scene with Buffy and Angel; b.)Where's Cibo Matto? "When She Was Bad" is one of my favorite episodes, and their music was a major reason why that episode rocked; and c.)"Teenage FBI" is dumb. Now, why I love this cd: a.)"Transylvanian Concubine," "Close Your Eyes," and the theme song by Nerfherder make the creepiest, yet very ear-pleasing, trio of songs; b.)Velvet Chain! ; and c.)The song "Tempation Waits" by Garbage is a pleasant addition---I can't wait to hear that song actually play during an episode. With references to wolves, vampires, demons, and of course the verse "And there's so much at stake" (that's kinda punny), the song certainly does fit in with the show's mystical themes. Like I said before, it's a good soundtrack---definitely worth listening to over and over.

Charlotte Church
Charlotte Church
Price: $6.27
484 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting album, November 17, 1999
This review is from: Charlotte Church (Audio CD)
I wouldn't rank Charlotte Church in the same league as Dame Kiri Te Kanawa, Magda Olivero, Marilyn Horne, and Frederica Von Stade---but she does have a pretty voice. Her renditions of "O mio babbino caro" and "The Jewel Song" were quite good. I could care less for the English translations of "Voi che sapete" and "Barcarolle," though. Those songs should be sung in their original languages. The biggest drawback: Church shouldn't have sung both parts in a duet like "Barcarolle"(that's tacky)---rather, her producer should have found a mezzo to sing with her... The album is a balanced mix of opera, hymns, and folk songs. Church certainly knows how to show off her talent and skills with these carefully chosen songs. The song written for Ford---"Just Wave Hello"---is a strange mixture of pop and classical. But, because it's sung by someone so young, the song actually works. Interesting. I can't wait to hear what Church's voice will sound like in ten years...

Everything
Everything
Offered by insomniacsonline
Price: $8.72
126 used & new from $0.01

3.0 out of 5 stars Good album, November 9, 1999
This review is from: Everything (Audio CD)
Whenever I listen to this album, I tend to listen to the whole thing---but I'm always anxious to hear the Michael tunes. Her soulful alto just trascends the sentimentality of "Complicated Girl," and it makes the song "Something to Believe In" something very heavenly. But I also like how she rocks on "Glitter Years."... I do think "Eternal Flame" is too overrated, but I listen to it for the tight and intense three-part harmony that comes at the end before Susanna starts to sing again. Debbi, Vicki, and Michael sure could blend their low voices beautifully---I haven't heard any group in this decade who can top that kind of talent.

LeAnn Rimes
LeAnn Rimes
Offered by newbury_comics
Price: $5.99
235 used & new from $0.01

1.0 out of 5 stars Not a good album at all..., November 4, 1999
This review is from: LeAnn Rimes (Audio CD)
After listening to the songs, I knew something was missing from LeAnn's voice---emotion. She just doesn't have that break in her voice that makes it sound like she's actually hurting or even crying from getting her heart broken. Maybe it's because she's too young and not experienced. Patsy had that break in her voice, and so did Janis. But not LeAnn. She overcompensates for her lack of identification with the lyrics by overprojecting. Not all songs should be sung so loudly. Sorry, LeAnn---you should get rid of your father and find yourself a way better producer.

More Music From The Motion Picture Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me
More Music From The Motion Picture Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me
Offered by we-got-the-beats
Price: $6.30
124 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars Even better than the first one..., November 4, 1999
I was pleasantly surprised by this soundtrack. It is way better than the first one because a.) It's got rocking classics like "Magic Carpet Ride," b.) Lenny Kravitz cannot sing "American Woman" at all, c.) Who the heck is Lucy Nation and how did their song end up on the first volume? and d.) The Bangles are just plain good, no matter how sparse the lyrics are in "Get the Girl." Coolness.