Profile for Rich A. > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

Rich A. "Rich" RSS Feed (Durham, NC, USA)

Dockers Men's Twill Robe
Dockers Men's Twill Robe

5.0 out of 5 stars Wish I'd found this robe a long time ago, November 11, 2012
This review is from: Dockers Men's Twill Robe (Apparel)
My old bathrobe finally fell apart after several years, and when I set out to find a replacement at the local stores, I couldn't believe how difficult it was to find a decent robe. There don't seem to be many men's bathrobes around to begin with, and all the ones I found were either very heavy terrycloth, yucky polyester, or super-scratchy cheap cotton, and they ALL cost more than I wanted to spend. Some WAY more (the dept stores had some $85 robes that weren't even very nice!). So I was intrigued when I saw this robe on Amazon, and based on the positive reviews, I decided to give it a try. I'm so glad I did!

This really is a perfect bathrobe for me. The cotton is soft, not scratchy at all, and most important, not too heavy. The material is like a light year-round pajama. I got the L/XL and it is very well sized for me. I'm 6'3", 195 lbs and it's a good length (comes down around my knees), the sleeves are comfortably a bit above the wrist, and it's neither tight across the chest/midsection nor so voluminous I feel like I'm dragging around yards of fabric. The blue plaid (and the fact that it's a bathrobe) gives it kind of a retro feel. It feels well-made and good quality.

I'm so happy with this bathrobe that I'm buying a second one. If you're looking for a robe that's not too heavy, not terry, not scratchy, and not overpriced, this is a really good choice.

Slots from Bally Gaming - PC/Mac
Slots from Bally Gaming - PC/Mac
11 used & new from $24.89

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-buy for anyone who loves slots!, January 12, 2003
This game is TOO much fun! It's by far the best PC slots game I've ever played. I don't even know where to start. The variety of games is amazing -- there are so many different machines here that when you first get it, you'll probably spend a long time just flipping through them all seeing what they are.
The video slots are just like many of the best and most popular ones you find in the casinos. Some of my favorites are "Soap Opera," "Blondie Double Feature," and "Movie Star Betty Boop." "Popeye" is another very entertaining cartoon-based slot. There are so many slots with bonus rounds on this disc that there's endless variety of game play, and you never know what's going to happen next. This is the best PC game I've ever seen as far as duplicating the experience you get in the casino. A lot of other home versions of casino slots are watered-down versions with very limited sound and visual effects, which for me are at least half the fun of playing the game in the casino. I love the little touches, and they're all here. One of my most enjoyable real life casino experiences was playing a "Soap Opera" machine at Mandalay Bay that was paying out like mad, and now I can experience that sort of fun right here at home (though, sadly, there are no waitresses bringing free cocktails here).
One of the best features, and one that's sadly lacking on many other PC slot games, is that you have the choice of playing either realistic payouts or ultra-high payouts. The former is more like being in the casino, but the latter makes it even more fun because you get lots of very high scatter pays, bonus wins, etc. Most other home games are either set at only the realistic or only the ultra-high payout levels, so it's great that you get to choose here on each game. It adds even more variety to an already amazing package. And it's a really nice change of pace from some home games in which the slots are so tight that they're no fun at all (hello, "Monopoly Casino"!).
It's great fun if you love playing video slots with bonus rounds in the casinos. The fact that it's not real money means you can play Max Bet on everything, which makes it much more fun but wipes out your bank account in the real casinos. It's also a better assortment of new games than I've ever seen in Vegas, and you don't have to put up with the smoke, the empty hoppers, or that inevitable person who wants to sit down beside you and yammer inanely.
I can't say enough positive things about this game. I'm definitely going to go out and get some of the other casino simulators by Masque. One warning, though: this CD is ridiculously addictive!

Jump Start Your Career in Library and Information Science
Jump Start Your Career in Library and Information Science
by Priscilla K. Shontz
Price: $29.59
51 used & new from $0.01

5.0 out of 5 stars A must-read for librarians and information professionals!, January 29, 2002
Priscilla Shontz, a past president of the American Library Association's New Members Round Table, shares information and gives useful advice on topics like choosing a field, cover letters and resumes, interviewing, networking, mentoring, and publishing.
Supplementing her own perspective are comments from over seventy information professionals. Many of them are experienced librarians, while others are newcomers to the field who share their wisdom about their own personal experiences getting started in the profession. These are perhaps the most enlightening of all: they talk about successes they've had, things they wish they'd done differently, and pitfalls that others can avoid. Their stories are funny, touching, wise, and always enlightening.
Written in a clear, concise, and engaging style, this book fills a big gap in the literature. And it's not just appropriate to those in the early stages of their career -- it would be equally useful to old pros who are looking to re-energize their careers (or those who are mentoring newcomers).
A pleasure! This book should be required reading for all library school students and faculty members -- it's certainly more useful and entertaining (as well as more of a bargain!) than most of the textbooks out there.