Profile for The Heavy Revy > Reviews

Customer Reviews: 3

Community Features
Review Discussion Boards
Top Reviewers

Guidelines: Learn more about the ins and outs of Your Profile.

The Heavy Revy RSS Feed (Texarkana, USA)

Courting Cate (The Courtships of Lancaster County) (Volume 1)
Courting Cate (The Courtships of Lancaster County) (Volume 1)
by Leslie Gould
Price: $11.98
109 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars Courting Cate, December 30, 2012
Cate Miller's mother passed away when she was very young so Cate took over the mothering job for her younger sister Betsy. Having to grow up fast to take care of the home and her younger sister made Cate a little more feisty and outspoken than the average Amish young woman. She has pushed away those who have shown interest in her and now that Betsy is old enough to court, most men don't give Cate a second look. Cate has given up hope that she will ever find love and is content to surround herself with good books and live life helping her father.

The problem she encounters is that her Dat makes a rule that her younger sister Betsy cannot court or marry until Cate does. This upsets the young men in their community because Betsy is cute and sweet and loves to flirt. So the young men of the community and her sister come up with a plan to "help" Cate out without her knowledge.

Pete Treger enters the picture. He's not from the area but comes to town to work for Cate's Dat. Cate finds herself drawn to the handsome stranger but is hesitant to trust her heart again. After overhearing a private conversation, she is truly confused. She is hurt and plans on cutting ties until her sister confesses a "secret" to her which throws everyone's world into chaos. As usual, Cate puts the needs of her sister first and begins a difficult journey in a life she did not want.

However, she finds that God had a plan in all of it and Cate comes to appreciate the lessons she learned from the hard times.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through a book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

A Home in Drayton Valley
A Home in Drayton Valley
by Kim Vogel Sawyer
Price: $12.25
133 used & new from $0.01

4.0 out of 5 stars A Home in Drayton Valley, December 2, 2012
I'm a sucker for a good love story. I especially like Christian romance books. If that's your cup of tea then you will love this book...A Home in Drayton Valley by Kim Vogel Sawyer.

The story begins in 1880 in New York. People had traveled to America in hopes of starting a new life. Tarsie Raines had come as a child and been in the city for 12 years. She befriended Mary Brubacher, a young woman with two small children and a husband, Joss, that had a bad drinking and gambling problem. Mary was also very sickly. Tarsie tried to help Mary with her home remedies, but the polluted air in the city just seemed to be making Mary more and more sick. When Tarsie came across a brochure about land in Kansas, she was convinced this would be the perfect solution for her friend. Not only would the clean, fresh air help Mary's breathing difficulties, Joss would be further away from the bad influences the city had on him.

Mary agreed to try to talk Joss into the move, but he wasn't interested. That is, until he got in trouble with his gambling debts. Suddenly, getting out of town didn't sound so bad after all. Mary insisted that Tarsie come with them and Tarsie agreed. Mary was her closest friend and it sounded like quite an adventure. She no longer had anyone keeping her in New York and Kansas sounded like a wonderful place to start a new life.

The group travels by train initially and then switch to a wagon train for the final leg of their journey. There are some unexpected turns in the trip and they are left having to make difficult decisions. Nothing turned out quite like they had planned, but they learn to adapt.

The thing I liked so much about this book is that it's not just your typical love story. It delves into deeper issues that you wouldn't expect... issues of addiction, prejudice and prohibition are all interlaced, and of course, spiritual issues are included too. It makes for an interesting read and I hope you will check it out.

Heaven is for Real: A Little Boy's Astounding Story of His Trip to Heaven and Back
by Lynn Vincent
Price: $9.56
1005 used & new from $0.01

4,010 of 4,411 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Is "Heaven is for Real" for real?, November 30, 2010
I found out about a pretty neat program not too long ago. I could get free books if I'd agree to write a review. As a lover of books, with over 1,000 of them in my library, I jumped at the chance.

The first book I received was titled "Heaven is for Real" by Todd Burpo. Needless to say, as a pastor I was skeptical! I thought, Oh no, not another I've been to heaven book! Beginning with 90 minutes in Heaven, the market has been flooded by books of peoples accounts of their journey to Heaven, Hell, and the Laundromat! I assumed this book would be little different and I thought I'd wind up relegating this book to the "not worth my time" pile. I was wrong.

"Heaven is for Real" is a a heartwarming, simple, and surprisingly biblical glimpse into a little four year old boy's journey into Heaven. Colton Burpo was four year's old when he found himself at death's door. His family didn't realize he had made his amazing journey until small but shocking revelations that amazed and bewildered his parents began to leak out. Colton didn't just have one sit down conversation, he let his journey be known one startling revelation at a time.

How could this little boy know these things? How could he know about relatives who had died long before he was born? How could someone so young offer such amazing insights into Heaven, Christ, and the glories that await Christians? How could he know things he'd never been taught and couldn't know?

As I mentioned before, I'm a skeptic at heart. A book like this one wouldn't likely catch my attention and certainly wouldn't win any praise from me. So many books like these are fanciful, unbiblical, and simply outright inconsistent with what I know to be true from the Bible. Colton Burpo's story was a refreshing and surprisingly accurate portrait of what awaits each of us whose destiny is Heaven. I read the book with a critical eye, looking for those little details that would prove this story to be at best inaccurate or at worst a fraud. I couldn't find them. His tale seemed honest. His descriptions fit the way a child would describe things, not one whose words had been fed him by an adult. Some of his revelations were simply amazing!

Who would be blessed by this book? I'd honestly say almost anyone. If you've recently lost a loved one or maybe you are a mother who has lost a child to miscarriage. You can find something here that will warm your heart and quite possibly help ease your pain. This book is a sweet, touching, and amazing story. I think you'll be blessed by it.

That said, you might wonder if I found anything in the book I didn't agree with. That's a tough question. I found nothing I'd say was blatantly wrong or in direct contradiction with the scriptures. There were a couple of things that made me raise my eyebrow but I can't quote a verse that says Heaven couldn't be like that, just a couple of things that didn't fit my expectation or interpretation of what Heaven would be like. Those things might make you wonder but I think you'll find they don't detract from what this book is meant to do, strengthen your faith, encourage you in your walk with Christ, and maybe just maybe long for Heaven just a little bit more.

Hope this review helps you make your choice of whether or not to pick up a copy of this book. I'd recommend you do.

Micah

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the [...] book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255 <[...]> : "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."
Comment Comments (237) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 22, 2014 6:32 PM PDT